Old Soi Eric open again

xylophone

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's Eric, or who was Eric?

Good question. I heard that he is a guy who bought/leased much of the area at the top end of Bangla back in the 80s. Started places like Soi Eric, Hard Rock, and the original Fire House. Anyone know who he is ? I met a guy 15 years ago who claimed to be this Eric, but I have no idea is that was the real Eric.

• Like 1

Good question. I heard that he is a guy who bought/leased much of the area at the top end of Bangla back in the 80s. Started places like Soi Eric, Hard Rock, and the original Fire House. Anyone know who he is ? I met a guy 15 years ago who claimed to be this Eric, but I have no idea is that was the real Eric.

You're probably confusing some people. The ones involved with starting such places as Rock Hard, Fire House, original Tai Pan, etc. had nothing to do with Soi Eric.

(Edit: To the best of my knowledge anyway.)

Edited by iSabai

You're probably confusing some people. The ones involved with starting such places as Rock Hard, Fire House, original Tai Pan, etc. had nothing to do with Soi Eric.

I have been told (??) that Eric was a partner in Rock Hard and Firehouse. A German guy (??). Would be good to get some hard data wink.png

"My information is that your information is incorrect "

Maybe, but let's just say I got it from more than one source, and all directly involved in Soi Eric as was. So let's say that my information is that your information is incorrect. But this is Thailand so who knows or quite frankly cares. If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them.

S

Probably a lot more expensive in there home country, thats why they all come to Asia because its not expensive

I have been told (??) that Eric was a partner in Rock Hard and Firehouse. A German guy (??). Would be good to get some hard data wink.png

I don't know about Eric. I do know for a fact that the original owner of Rock Hard, and the one that started Fire House, Tai Pan, and some beer bars that pre-dated Tai Pan and Fire House (in that same area) were Americans. Not sure if they were connected at all.

Come to think of it, the one who should know would be Big Bill (or Wizard of Rock & Roll, or whatever on Thai Visa).

Edited by iSabai

Wow 3 posts from a new member and all avidly in support of the rip off prices in the "New" soi. Welcome to the wonderful world of Patong my mountain friend - hope your new bar does well.

I think our mountain friend was explaining the rationale from the other side of the bar, rather than " avidly supporting" it , and the explanation makes sense. From memory I think most bars drop the bar fine price after midnight to 1am, trying to keep their best salespeople in the bar as long as possible. Bars are businesses after all.

With regards to the prices if people are willing to pay them, which they clearly are, who is anyone else to judge. Personally I'm happy with a slush puppy and bag of crisps from Familymart. Haven't asked about Bar Fines yet, but you never know.

S

"With regards to the prices if people are willing to pay them, which they clearly are" - which they clearly ARE NOT - why do you think the Soi closed in the first place????

Way before Soi Eric was "sold" by Eric, whom I had met on many occasions, the Soi was dying a slow death, going from what was once the most vibrant Soi to a shadow of its former self. And there were many bars for sale, some for a long time, with a couple just closed up.

The new guy has refurbished it but without any imagination whatsoever and it's about as inviting as a warehouse. There were still 9 bars for sale when I last heard and the place is still not that busy.

Why was it dying a death............change of visitor demographics/the GFC/poor exchange rates to name a few. The bars which had forged long standing relationships with customers fared the best because of repeat business and word of mouth, hence the reason some bar owners renewed their leases, and anyway if they didn't, what were they going to do??

Edited by xylophone

Maybe, but let's just say I got it from more than one source, and all directly involved in Soi Eric as was. So let's say that my information is that your information is incorrect. But this is Thailand so who knows or quite frankly cares. If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them.

S

Probably a lot more expensive in there home country, thats why they all come to Asia because its not expensive
Depends on home country it's cheaper almost anywhere in Europe than Thailand at the prices being discussed here, seriously a 1000 baht to take a girl out of a grubby bar after you have bought her 250 baht drinks then 3000 to nail her in your hotel room lol who in their right mind is paying this?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

S

Depends on home country it's cheaper almost anywhere in Europe than Thailand at the prices being discussed here, seriously a 1000 baht to take a girl out of a grubby bar after you have bought her 250 baht drinks then 3000 to nail her in your hotel room lol who in their right mind is paying this?

old farts?

you can get all the fun for free if you are young and look good!

S

old farts?

you can get all the fun for free if you are young and look good!

But those same people can get it for free at home as well, and probably without the risk of ending up with STD's

• Like 1

S

These are Phuket prices, not Thailand prices. Apparently, these prices can be demanded because Phuket has "nice beaches." :) :)

“Maybe, but let's just say I got it from more than one source, and all directly involved in Soi Eric as was. So let's say that my information is that your information is incorrect. But this is Thailand so who knows or quite frankly cares. If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them. “ SDM

“These are Phuket prices, not Thailand prices. Apparently, these prices can be demanded because Phuket has "nice beaches." NKM

My dear NamKangman, if you want to quote me, please don’t distort the context. But to be clear, when I said “ but this is Thailand so who knows” I meant that one never knows what to believe here, I was making no reference to the prices charged here which are admittedly higher than anywhere else in the country.

Also, in answer to your question;

“Do you know anyone who has admitted to losing money here???? smile.pngsmile.png

I am please to report from bar owners that I know professionally and personally that they only “lost money” during the period that the Soi was closed. Now that it has re opened they are all doing very nicely indeed. Following on from my earlier statement, even if I didn’t believe them their busy bars are testament enough.

Regards

S

Edited by SDM0712

“Maybe, but let's just say I got it from more than one source, and all directly involved in Soi Eric as was. So let's say that my information is that your information is incorrect. But this is Thailand so who knows or quite frankly cares. If the tourists want to come and spend silly amounts of money having a great time then good luck to them. “ SDM

“These are Phuket prices, not Thailand prices. Apparently, these prices can be demanded because Phuket has "nice beaches." NKM

My dear NamKangman, if you want to quote me, please don’t distort the context. But to be clear, when I said “ but this is Thailand so who knows” I meant that one never knows what to believe here, I was making no reference to the prices charged here which are admittedly higher than anywhere else in the country.

Also, in answer to your question;

“Do you know anyone who has admitted to losing money here???? smile.pngsmile.png

I am please to report from bar owners that I know professionally and personally that they only “lost money” during the period that the Soi was closed. Now that it has re opened they are all doing very nicely indeed. Following on from my earlier statement, even if I didn’t believe them their busy bars are testament enough.

Regards

S

Phuket is not in Thailand - it's a different country. :) :)

As for your bar owner friends "doing very nicely indeed" - I wonder why they are selling. :) :)

“Phuket is not in Thailand - it's a different country. :) :)

As for your bar owner friends "doing very nicely indeed" - I wonder why they are selling. “ NKM

Again if it is me you are quoting, I fear the actual meaning of my statement has been lost. In actual fact I wrote ;

“but this is Thailand so who knows”

My meaning was that I was not so naïve to believe everything I was told in Thailand. I did not make any reference to Phuket being a different country.

Also, when you ask why my “ bar owner friends” are “are selling”, I am not sure where you get your information from, but none are. There are certainly many bars being sold but the ones I am aware of are, one former bar owner of Soi Eric, who has acquired a much bigger duplex bar on Bangla Road itself (doesn’t exactly reek of desperation), a new bar that has been refurbished as an investment but not yet opened, and I am also aware of several bars being sold by their Landlords.

Regards

SDM

“Phuket is not in Thailand - it's a different country. smile.pngsmile.png

As for your bar owner friends "doing very nicely indeed" - I wonder why they are selling. “ NKM

Again if it is me you are quoting, I fear the actual meaning of my statement has been lost. In actual fact I wrote ;

“but this is Thailand so who knows”

My meaning was that I was not so naïve to believe everything I was told in Thailand. I did not make any reference to Phuket being a different country.

Also, when you ask why my “ bar owner friends” are “are selling”, I am not sure where you get your information from, but none are. There are certainly many bars being sold but the ones I am aware of are, one former bar owner of Soi Eric, who has acquired a much bigger duplex bar on Bangla Road itself (doesn’t exactly reek of desperation), a new bar that has been refurbished as an investment but not yet opened, and I am also aware of several bars being sold by their Landlords.

Regards

SDM

"There are certainly many bars being sold" - have you ever wondered, WHY????

"doesn’t exactly reek of desperation" - wouldn't be the first guy to bring his offshore money into here and lose it. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Bars are being sold and bought every day, and houses, villas, condos, apartments, hotels, guest houses, apartment blocks, land. No doubt you have looked at my profile so know what I do for a living, so no, I don't wonder why. I believe it's just a natural cycle rather than a soon to be arriving economic apocalypse.

SDM

"doesnt exactly reek of desperation" - wouldn't be the first guy to bring his offshore money into here and lose it. " NKM

Incidentally, the person I have referred you and you have remarked in is a Thai person with no off shore money being involved.

S

"doesnt exactly reek of desperation" - wouldn't be the first guy to bring his offshore money into here and lose it. " NKM Incidentally, the person I have referred you and you have remarked in is a Thai person with no off shore money being involved. S

So, how many leases has he turned over in recent years? :) :)

Bars are being sold and bought every day, and houses, villas, condos, apartments, hotels, guest houses, apartment blocks, land. No doubt you have looked at my profile so know what I do for a living, so no, I don't wonder why. I believe it's just a natural cycle rather than a soon to be arriving economic apocalypse. SDM

"No doubt you have looked at my profile so know what I do for a living" - no, I haven't looked at your profile. Why would I?

Why would I even care?

“So, how many leases has he turned over in recent years? NKM

Without talking specifics I have know this person around 15 years and this is the first lease outside the original in all that time. So, to answer your question, I would say one former, and one new one. SDM

"No doubt you have looked at my profile so know what I do for a living" SDM

- no, I haven't looked at your profile. Why would I? Why would I even care?” NKM

Indeed. However if you would have looked you would have noticed that I am involved in this kind of work professionally, not bar work, but the disposal of these kinds of leases and assets. So, I can see why you would not care, and why should you, but it is relevant.

SDM

• Like 1

Without talking specifics I have know this person around 15 years and this is the first lease outside the original in all that time. So, to answer your question, I would say one former, and one new one. SDM

- no, I haven't looked at your profile. Why would I? Why would I even care?” NKM

Indeed. However if you would have looked you would have noticed that I am involved in this kind of work professionally, not bar work, but the disposal of these kinds of leases and assets. So, I can see why you would not care, and why should you, but it is relevant.

SDM

"you would have noticed that I am involved in this kind of work professionally" - I can see the conflict of interest in your posts.

Are you going to tell me buying a bar on Bangla Road is a good "investment?" cheesy.gif

SDM

"you would have noticed that I am involved in this kind of work professionally" - I can see the conflict of interest in your posts.

Are you going to tell me buying a bar on Bangla Road is a good "investment?" cheesy.gif

Well that depends on your Bar owning experience now doesn't it. I do get the feeling you may have tried it previously but unfortunately hasn't turned out to be as easy as it looks. Also I don't see a conflict of interest.

Edited by Swiss Axel

SDM

Well that depends on your Bar owning experience now doesn't it. I do get the feeling you may have tried it previously but unfortunately hasn't turned out to be as easy as it looks. Also I don't see a conflict of interest.

"I do get the feeling you may have tried it previously" - no, I'm not that stupid.

"Also I don't see a conflict of interest." - really?

So, a member's job is to sell property/businesses/leases and he's on the forum "talking up" the profitability of buying a bar, and you don't think there's a conflict of interest?

"you would have noticed that I am involved in this kind of work professionally" SDM

I can see the conflict of interest in your posts. NKM

I’m not sure how considering I haven’t offered anyone a bar here, and even if I did I would always advise they make their own investigations regarding its viability. I do not even advertise bars on TV. If you look back on what I have written it can summarised that

1. People I know professionally and personally that are bar owners are quite happy with their businesses and

2. I don’t believe everything I hear.

With that in mind I cannot really see any conflict of interest since I have neither offered advice here, nor offered any business.

Are you going to tell me buying a bar on Bangla Road is a good "investment?" NKM

You clearly have an issue with this subject for some reason, but to answer your question, I do not consider any business as a good investment on its own.

I consider an “investment” as a vehicle or commodity that can be bought into and the investor has nothing to do other than wait for the returns to come in. I would consider gold as a good investment, or certain stocks or shares. A business however needs hard work of the owner, the right location and perhaps a bit of luck to work. I would say that anyone that starts a business with little knowledge of the business is really doomed from the outset. In fact normally the first question I ask of anyone looking for any kind of business is whether they have any experience in the business they are looking to go into. The second question I have for them is if they have an exit plan if it all goes wrong.

SDM

• Like 1

SDM

"I do get the feeling you may have tried it previously" - no, I'm not that stupid.

"Also I don't see a conflict of interest." - really?

So, a member's job is to sell property/businesses/leases and he's on the forum "talking up" the profitability of buying a bar, and you don't think there's a conflict of interest?

My mountain friend, SDM was answering your questions. Not trying to sell you a bar. Do you feel groomed into owning one? Most expats here do.