• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Police to summon Suthep, Makkhawan protest leaders

By English News

13843065418324.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 13 – Police will summon former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban on charges of creating disturbances and instigating civil disobedience in the country.

Police said they will issue a summons for Mr Suthep after a group of people lodged complaints at Samran Rat police station, accusing the former Surat Thani MP of creating unrest in the kingdom and leading the public to breach the law.

Mr Suthep called for civil disobedience Monday night, urging the Thai people to stop working today through Friday, for the private sector to slow tax payments, asking the public to fly Thai flags or display stickers, and to blow whistles whenever they encounter government members.

Police said employers are allowed to file lawsuits against employees for refusing to work. An offender is subject to the maximum jail term of three years or a fine of Bt6,000, or both.

Meanwhile, Nang Loeng police will also issue a summons for Nitithorn Lamlua and Uthai Yodmanee, two leaders of the Network of Students and People for Thailand’s Reform which is demonstrating at Makkhawan Rangsan Bridge near Government House.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Commander Adul Narongsak said the group has intruded into off-limits zones under the enforcement of the Internal Security Act – an offence liable to the maximum jail term of one year or a maximum fine of Bt20,000, or both. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-11-13

Crikey, thats going to clog the courts up for decades from the back log even before this strike thing takes effect.

How many protestors right now? Is the protest growing or waning?

No many left. Most took extra 3 days off (call in strike if you want to have an unplanned long weekend at the beach.

Thanks Suthep for the extra holidays.

Paying taxes is the duty of every patriot in Thailand

and squandering those same taxes on harebrained schemes and trips abroad, or just plain "misappropriating" them is the duty of the PM...this lets of course your brother off the hook, since as PM such was his duty, q.e.d.

Police said employers are allowed to file lawsuits against employees for refusing to work. An offender is subject to the maximum jail term of three years or a fine of Bt6,000, or both.

So that would mean that if someone wanted to quit their job and go somewhere else the employer is able to sue them for refusing to work for them.

I can't believe she said the bill is "suspended"!!!! True colours have been shown. She said they had withdrawn their support for it. What a horrible, lying, hypocritical mob we have running the show.

Of course the bill has been suspended, they will ram this through in 178 days time, that there is no doubt. Yingluck, may have gone rogue, by speaking without orders, because her last few statements show her to be a lying and duplicitous hypocrite.

As usual, Ricardo has it right.

The call was not for refusing to pay taxes. It was for deferring tax payments. That can be done legally. Take a look at the state of the economy now vs 2 years ago and the country is in trouble and about to get into more trouble with another unfunded infusion of money into the failed rice scheme.

Interesting reaction, to a call for the delay (and not non-payment) of corporate-taxes, that it will damage the economy.

This is the government which has, for the past two years, been spending money they don't have, on schemes of limited economic-benefit, and running the country onto the financial-rocks, as warned by Moody's. PTP's 'white lies' approach to finance has taken GDP-growth of 5%, and given the economy a technical-recession, instead.

But surely they can withstand a slight delay in the collection of a small part of their revenues ... can't they ? wink.png

Or are things really so very bad ? blink.png

It's amazing just how arrogant this clan is in believing they can twist the law to their own ends, see themselves as totally above the law, and think they can con all the people, all of the time.

The Senate were instructed to reject the bill rather than amend it so PTP can ram it through as soon as the 180 day period is up. Meantime the red shirt thugs are being mobilized ready to support the police in keeping any future protests off the streets. In 6 months, Bangkok will be crawling with red shirted thugs and the Shin police force. Protesters will be "discouraged" from exercising their right to peaceful protests against this wonderful, democratic and justice loving elected government.

YL has given the game away by using the word suspended. Very different from all the hype about withdrawing bills, pledging not to support the bill etc etc.

Thaksin has to go for shit or bust now - and a growing number of protesters are starting to realize that now.

PTP are scared to dissolve the house and call a snap election with their current low popularity level. They want the boss back and he is no doubt really pressuring them to get his whitewash through. They need to keep their income streams open, crank up the propaganda and the reds, and hope they can blunder through the next 6 months and then push this through.

They are showing their true colors for all to see.

She said she will instruct legal experts to find ways to take legal action against people who don't pay taxes.

Makes me wonder if she called the same legal experts to take action against her and those who ruin the country.

Then she goes on and says if people stop working and paying taxes the country will come to a hault and the economy will be damaged.

I have fallen off the chair already, and am thinking: has she not realized that its her so called government that made the country come to a hault and damaged the economy?

But she doesn't stop there. She says people should give the government a chance to do its work.

This government has gotten so many chances already. What does she want now? I don't know if it's her period or what but I am still trying to figure out how one single person is capable of talking so much nonsense.

So that would mean that if someone wanted to quit their job and go somewhere else the employer is able to sue them for refusing to work for them.

No.

I am assuming that the statement refers to a work slowdown while receiving a salary.

Call out sick and get a Dr's note and you are covered for 3 days. Nothing can be done about that. Quit and you are safe but cannot claim severance pay. But to accept a salary while failing to perform your duties .... that is sketchy legally.

facepalm.gif Seriously Yingluck........3million people pay tax on a workforce of 38 million.......

http://asiancorrespondent.com/110344/income-tax-equality-and-the-thai-budget/

Well not quite correct, because we all pay the VAT 7% tax yeah, but if you mean something like a pay as you go / income tax?, then yeah I get what you mean,, it may well be that for low income there maybe a thresh hold the be passed before taxation starts, or unless you are a falang then you just pay no matter how little you get I guess?

On top of YL's empty pleas of 'give is a chance' for the umpteenth time, good old Plodprasop has asked the EC whether the Democrat MPs were 'justified' in resigning - as reported in the Post.

I wonder if he means that they have to ask Thaksin's permission to resign - just like Yingluck.

All we need now is for Chalerm to pipe up with something stupid to round things off.

• Like 1

facepalm.gif Seriously Yingluck........3million people pay tax on a workforce of 38 million.......

http://asiancorrespondent.com/110344/income-tax-equality-and-the-thai-budget/

Well not quite correct, because we all pay the VAT 7% tax yeah, but if you mean something like a pay as you go / income tax?, then yeah I get what you mean,, it may well be that for low income there maybe a thresh hold the be passed before taxation starts, or unless you are a falang then you just pay no matter how little you get I guess?

a VAT or sales tax is always hardest on the poor.

Income tax in Thailand starts at about 150,000 Baht/yr and then is 10% of income after that and it increases at intervals above that. That means the vast majority of Thais do not pay income tax. Foreigners not working here only pay VAT and foreigners that are working here pay the same as Thais on income tax.

No.

I am assuming that the statement refers to a work slowdown while receiving a salary.

Call out sick and get a Dr's note and you are covered for 3 days. Nothing can be done about that. Quit and you are safe but cannot claim severance pay. But to accept a salary while failing to perform your duties .... that is sketchy legally.

So as the Thai people are the governments employers maybe some one should use that same law on the MP's and Prime Minister... see how they like it biggrin.png

apologies for bolding just trying to make it clearer.

it may well be that for low income there maybe a thresh hold the be passed before taxation starts

There is no tax liability if making less than 20,000 Baht/month.

With the exemptions that sounds right. Not having any dependents in Thailand I am unsure of what tax liabilities are if you have kids etc.

If I remember right the lower threshold is 150,000 with 90,000 in exemptions on top of that.

"Paying taxes is the duty of every patriot in Thailand." says Yingluck Shinawat.

And she is quite right too.... so long as everyone (especially the very rich and very powerful for whom so often enough is never enough) agrees to play the white man and doesn't resort to dodges and even nefarious law changes to sneak their way out of their obligations at the expense of the poor and hard working Somchai in the street.

Hopefully YS will at least vow to mull over this.

it may well be that for low income there maybe a thresh hold the be passed before taxation starts

With the exemptions that sounds right. Not having any dependents in Thailand I am unsure of what tax liabilities are if you have kids etc.

If I remember right the lower threshold is 150,000 with 90,000 in exemptions on top of that.

That's correct. 1st 150,0000 not taxed then 60,000 and then 30,000 per person eligible to be declared. So 240,000/12 = 20,000. More personal exemptions such as wife/kids and then deductibles the total income could be significantly higher before taxes kick in. I would guess that would be the majority of Thai's that do not have to pay personal income taxes. For those curious about the breakdown it can be found here - Thailand Revenue Department

What's next? Is she going to declare that the 2.2 trillion speedo train (going north/south, by coincidence) is not primarily aimed at bolstering China's commercial grip on Thailand?

Alas the 2.2 trillion loan is for a high speed rail system that goes from Nakorn Ratchasima to Hua Hin via Bangkok and will be as much use to China as Thomas the Tank Engine

• Like 1

That's correct. 1st 150,0000 not taxed then 60,000 and then 30,000 per person eligible to be declared. So 240,000/12 = 20,000. More personal exemptions such as wife/kids and then deductibles the total income could be significantly higher before taxes kick in. I would guess that would be the majority of Thai's that do not have to pay personal income taxes. For those curious about the breakdown it can be found here - Thailand Revenue Department

Well, exactly, so this statement about the tax paying middle classes paying huge amounts of tax is absolute nonsense. What would a middle class family in Thailand represent, if there are only 3mn tax payers in the country? A couple of million maximum, and they might be earning 50K per month? Wowsers, 12,000 GBP per year. So, the middle class of Thailand would be on the breadline in the developed world. I think it is safe to say, that it is the self employed merchants of Thailand who have the cash, not the 'employed" middle class, and they are famous for not declaring their income.

So basically, I would wager that an awful lot of the people moaning and bitching that their tax money isn't being spent responsibly, are actually not paying what they should be anyway.

And as for claiming that the middle class are educated, well we have all seen the levels of education stated in the Thai school system, and what do we have? A completely fictious definition of "middle class" that bears absoultely no comparison with the western definition of "middle class".

What's next? Is she going to declare that the 2.2 trillion speedo train (going north/south, by coincidence) is not primarily aimed at bolstering China's commercial grip on Thailand?

Alas the 2.2 trillion loan is for a high speed rail system that goes from Nakorn Ratchasima to Hua Hin via Bangkok and will be as much use to China as Thomas the Tank Engine

Figure it out: all major Thai infrastructure investment is for rail and highways going north/south. China is north, Thailand is south. Highways and rail connect with same from other countries. Is it a coincidence that Chinese leaders are busily meeting with Chinese-Thai leaders of Thailand, and Chinese are pushing hard for the north/south connections. The Shinawatres cannot say 'no', even if it bankrupts the country.

If people stop working or paying taxes, the country will come to a halt and the economy will be damaged. People should use their judgement. The government has suspended the amnesty bill. People should trust (the government) and stop their demonstrations, said Ms Yingluck.

Well there we have it (bold).

She looks like she doesn't know where her next handbag is coming from. The though of no taxes!