Advice on Andaman islands itinerary & transport

louzdelaluna

Hi!

I'll be in Thailand for 15 days in December and would like to head south for some islands-hopping. I have several places in mind but don't know:

a) How many to realistically choose for 15 days

B) Which ones to choose (the best of course, which are?)

c) How to connect them with affordable transportation options

My constraints:

• Have to leave from & go back to Bangkok for my international flights

• Like to change place every 2 days & don't mind multiple bus rides

• Want absolute tranquility & nature above all

• Solo & budget traveller

The places I have in mind:

1 - Khao Sok National Park (Chiao Lan lake)

2 - Surin Islands Marine National Park (Ko Surin Nuea? Via a agency?)

3 - Similan Islands Marine National Park (Ko Similan aka #8? Via an agency?)

4 - Ao Phang Nga Marine National Park (kayak tour?)

5 - Kao Yao Noi or Yai

6 - Trang Islands (Ko Ngai or Ko Lao Liang or Ko Sukorn)

7 - Ko Tarutao

Thank you very much in advance for your precious advice! :-)

Edited by louzdelaluna

I would say: take 3 days/2 nights for Khao Sok, and 2 days/1 night for Similans (snorkeling). Skip Surin. Daytrip in Phang Nga Bay, go further South (Tarutao/Trang) from there. Take on the way back 1 day into account ti travel to Phuket or Krabi, and fly from there to Bangkok.

On the way out to Khao Sok Surat Thani Airport or Phuket Airport would be easiest.

For visiting Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay and the Surin and Similan islands, you could use Khao Lak as a base. In Khao Lak there is a range of accomodation options varying from 5 star to rock bottom backpacker.

Day trips to Khao Sok and Phangnga Bay can easily be booked in Khao Lak. From Khao Lak you can also go to Phangnga bay and back by public transport, works out cheaper. Also easily booked are day trips to Surin and Similan. My advice would rather be to skip Similan, and only go to Surin. Similan is hopelessly overcrowded, and the corals at Surin are in a somewhat better condition. But at Surin avoid the weekends when there are a lot of Thai tourists. If you want to stay in a tent overnight at Surin or Similan, try to book just the round trip transfer, don't go for an all inclusive offer which travel agencies probably will try to sell to you. Tents are always available, you can pay for a tent once at the island.

From Khao Lak you can also easily go to Koh Yao Noi (public bus to the pier in Phuket), and to the Trang islands and Koh Tarutao, book the minivan/ferry combination ticket.

Take a look at Koh Lipe. Flight to Hat Yai - minivan to Satun - ferry or speed boat to Lipe. I think Nok Air lets you book all - flight - van - boat. If not, easy enough to do it yourself. Only thing: Lipe is nice, but if you are not major into laying around on beaches, not much to do if you don't scuba or freedive. Can snorkel off beaches. Reefs still mostly alive, last I was there. (See it before they trash that island and surrounding waters, too.)

Take a look at Koh Lipe. Flight to Hat Yai - minivan to Satun - ferry or speed boat to Lipe. I think Nok Air lets you book all - flight - van - boat. If not, easy enough to do it yourself. Only thing: Lipe is nice, but if you are not major into laying around on beaches, not much to do if you don't scuba or freedive. Can snorkel off beaches. Reefs still mostly alive, last I was there. (See it before they trash that island and surrounding waters, too.)

(See it before they trash that island and surrounding waters, too.)

Excellent idea. some day the travel in the south will be safer and people will destroy the island.

National Park tent camping on Surin island is fun and cheap. Often a lot of Thais but easy to walk past where most of the campers hang out, they are real city people. There is a restaurant there, all you really need is a sleeping bag and snorkel gear. Snorkel day trips there are in a shared boat of 10, cheap, and quite good. The nearby town of Kuriburi (Kuraburi?) on the adjacent coastline is pretty empty, mostly a jump off point for the islands, and has vast expanses of beach and mangrove estuary. If you really want to get away from everybody, that is your best bet. It is possible to stay overnight at Ang Thong marine park, all the many tourists on the many boats leave pretty early in the afternoon. Khao Sok is quite different, full jungle rainforest, be sure and see that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much! I think keestha's suggestion probably is the one closest to what I had in mind.

Not Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lipe because my understanding (but I might be wrong) is that they are more "touristy" and I'm really looking for hidden gems (yes, I know, they all end up being "discovered" one day or another), being a nature lover and solitude seeker.

I would also like to privilege eco-friendly & socially responsible options, for accommodation as well as day trips. If you have recommendations, please be kind enough to share.

Thanks again!