Linksys wireless router

patongphil

I have a Linksys wireless router model WRT54GL which I have owned for a few years with no issues at all. I moved house but now cannot get the wireless function working. If I plug my computer directly into the modem it works fine but once I change to the wireless router I get No internet access messages even though my computer does connect wirelessly and can "see" the internet connection.

any ideas??

Router setup. Check the router manual if you have it. If not, use a computer that has an Internet connection and download it. Your computer is seeing your wireless network but the router is not connecting to the Internet. BTW, that's an OLD router and they do stop working eventually. The new Linksys 900 is nice. Good luck.

WRT54GL is a stalwart of the router world. I have had around 7 in my life (4 running simultaneously in 1 building) and found them to be boringly reliable. I upped the clock speed on 1 and it made a difference. Different version of Tomato (Chicog can answer more about DD-WRT than I can) have all produced different results (i.e. faster, more reliable or increased range...seemingly).

Tomato or DD-WRT (it comes down to familiarity for me) both do a fantastic job. So good that it will affect my next purchase (probably ASUS RT16 as they are SO cheap now).

Probably to see if there was a quick (and free fix). What's wrong with that?

Don't worry your pretty little head about it.

PS: need to pay attention to 'version' of WRT54GL if considering a firmware replacement.

Draftvader: The ASUS RT 15 is said to be blazingly fast but the reviews on Amazon are overwhelmingly negative since so many have had it stop working within a few months and found ASUS tech support unhelpful. Although I am not an Apple fanboy, to go with the new 802.11ac I bought an Airport Extreme. Since Linksys was sold to Belkin, their routers' quality is said to have gone down.

• Like 1

Draftvader: The ASUS RT 15 is said to be blazingly fast but the reviews on Amazon are overwhelmingly negative since so many have had it stop working within a few months and found ASUS tech support unhelpful. Although I am not an Apple fanboy, to go with the new 802.11ac I bought an Airport Extreme. Since Linksys was sold to Belkin, their routers' quality is said to have gone down.

Ha ha! steer well away from ASUS as far as routers and WiFI go - they might be good at making motherboards, but their recent venture inbto WIFI AC 1750 is an absolute disgrace! (As is their customer service)

I just bought a brand new PCE - AC1750 AC66U PCIE card - supposedly it is able to connect to WIFI - (My EA6700 Cisco router) at 1.3GBPs....ha ha...try 11MBs from 7 feet away!

This card has now been discontinued, however, there are a few vendors selling this piece of junk!

It can kill a few PCs' - Z87 MB - Blue Screen, mine just powers down and runs like a snail - Do not touch this rubbish with a bargepole!

They have brought out a new version - AC68 - and from the reviews I have read on Newegg and a couple more sites, this replacement is just as bad! You are lucky if you can connect, then when you do, the best speed I had was 1.3GBPs for 3 seconds or so, then it throttles back to about 119 MBs - 11 MBS - GARBAGE!

Then try and contact their support....what a joke that is! They are a disgrace!

As for Linksys/Cisco/Belkin, their support is second to none, they are really on par with Intel. Great online live chat, they will walk you through the problems step by step, my EA6500 (the first router I bought ) had a few problems, would not retain firmware etc. After contacting their support we went through steps to check the router, after a 20 minutes they told me to return it, gave me an RMA, I had a new router in 5 days, they sent me the EA6700 as a replacement - ASUS on the other hand will just reply with garbage e mails from retards that care nothing about your problems, I would sack the bloody lot! they are completely useless.

Edited by Briandajew

Wow! That was damning. I have nothing but praise for the MBs and laptops. No wonder the RT16 is cheaper than the older WRT54GL. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I will give credit where credit is due, and Intel and Linksys have been a bit of an eye opener as to what customer support should be!

Asus are an absolute disgrace - their customer support consists of you complaining, then waiting for a retard to reply to you after 48 hours asking you to do all the things that you have already done and already told them...once you reply...they are stuck! They are useless!

Then after about 5 days, they send you a link to some customer satisfaction questionaire... that takes a week or two to load...it just hangs your browser!

These cretins have no idea of customer support! They are off the planet in being in touch with their customers.

Sad really, their products are normally OK, but when they make a mistake, they bury their heads up their own asses - and their customer support should be lined up against a wall!