Snake

GaryB1263

Some people are so ignorant of the natural history of this planet that was here long before them and is vital to maintain balances.

While I understand your general point, what "balances" are we talking about - some theoretical balance or a balance that some "correct-thinking" biologist opines about? The "balances" that existed for hundreds of millions of years before man ever slid out of a pond changed dramatically over time for various "natural" reasons (i.e., there neither is nor ever was any Shangri-La balance).

Natural history also includes species being wiped out and other species that kill (to eat, to eliminate competition, or just to kill) other species. Lions, for example, kill hyenas for all of those reasons. And humans, whether the anti-humanists like it or not, are part of this planet's natural history and humans have always been classified as carnivores and are, for lack of better words, at the top of the food chain.

It's my view that no human ought to kill something just for the hell of it; however, if it (a snake, a rat, a mosquito, an invasive plant species, or whatever) poses a danger to me or mine, it's dead meat. And that, like it or not, is part of our natural history.

• Like 2

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are so ignorant of the natural history of this planet that was here long before them and is vital to maintain balances.

While I understand your general point, what "balances" are we talking about - some theoretical balance or a balance that some "correct-thinking" biologist opines about? The "balances" that existed for hundreds of millions of years before man ever slid out of a pond changed dramatically over time for various "natural" reasons (i.e., there neither is nor ever was any Shangri-La balance).

Natural history also includes species being wiped out and other species that kill (to eat, to eliminate competition, or just to kill) other species. Lions, for example, kill hyenas for all of those reasons. And humans, whether the anti-humanists like it or not, are part of this planet's natural history and humans have always been classified as carnivores and are, for lack of better words, at the top of the food chain.

It's my view that no human ought to kill something just for the hell of it; however, if it (a snake, a rat, a mosquito, an invasive plant species, or whatever) poses a danger to me or mine, it's dead meat. And that, like it or not, is part of our natural history.

your not our

Cuban, the point is that you cannot reduce the risk of using the roads no matter how observant, careful or whatever. You stand a much greater chance of being involved in a road accident than of being bitten by a snake, because of the way Thais drive, and the poor standard of the roads.

Needlessly killing snakes will not increase your life expectancy, on a statistical basis.

With or without the application of DEET, one still cannot avoid mosquitoes; you just have to hope that you do not get bitten by a mosquito carrying the Dengue virus.

CharlieH, I believe psychiatric help is available for those with phobias, or don't live in a country where your phobias are endemic!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

That looks like a Krait. Venomous.

I seriously dislike people who kills snakes.

I seriously dislike snakes that kill people.

Then maybe people should stop encroaching on the snakes' territory! They have as much right to be on this planet as you do, and frankly speaking there's too many humans already on this planet anyway!!!

Advice that I took onboard from the Transvaal Snake Farm many moons ago.

1. Identify the snake. If you can catch or kill it, take it to the hospital with you. This will assist the doctor in applying the proper treatment although my guess is that in many cases the type of venom should be self evident.

2. Remain calm at all times and move as little as possible. Worry and panic accelerates the heartbeat and neurotoxic venoms carried mainly by the cobra family, which accelerates the distribution of the venom which attacks the nervous system. Victims go into a coma, their lungs ease to function and so they die, painlessly I understand. Some varieties of cobras can send a spray of venom aiming for the eyes. The eyes should be washed out with copious supplies of water or milk. A common practice amongst African natives was to lie the victim on the ground and pee into his eyes. Whatever turns you on.

Haemotoxic venoms mainly carried by the viper family attack the red cells in blood so remaining still slows down the spread of the toxin. Contemporary advice says do not apply a tourniquet as this heightens the chance of amputation of an affected limb i.e. localising the venom increases damage to issue. Victims experience severe pain increasing the possibility of a heart attack although internal bleeding is a more likely cause of death.

Some snake species carry a mixture of the two venom types.

I accept that scientific has moved on somewhat so better and more effective treatment may now be applied.

Snakes have very primary nervous systems and may still be active even though they are dead. A parallel would be headless chickens running around. They do not have antibodies in their blood and are very delicate. A case occurred in RSA where a black mamba was fed a live white mouse. The mouse ran over to the snake and bit it before retiring to a corner of the containing tank. In the morning the snake was found to be dead while the mouse was full of the joys of spring.

So the statement is nothing but unconfirmed gossip worth diddly...? Thanks, I was only wondering.

Well the stat did not come from Ireland and you are welcome

The stat didn't come from anywhere, did it...? It was total bull shit, wasn't it..? facepalm.gif

Most "facts" used to support arguments here on Thai Visa are generated in a special sun-free place.

Quoting from a study done in India:

"In the present study, the incidence of snake bite was found to be 86% in the age group of 15-45 years, which is the active age group involved in various outdoor activities, and so, is more prone for snake bites. Similar findings were observed in other studies. [1],[2]

"Majority of the cases (71%) were from rural area and only 29% were from urban area. Among the rural patients, 70.23% cases were bitten in the farms, followed by 24.86% in the houses.

Regarding the occupation of the study subjects, 53.40% cases were farm laborers, 17.80% were farmers, and 28.80% were having other occupations like government servants, housewives, students, etc."

http://www.onlinejets.org/article.asp?issn=0974-2700;year=2013;volume=6;issue=3;spage=199;epage=202;aulast=Jarwani

Obviously any study of this sort is going to be from a small somewhat biased sample of the larger population, but the "9 out of 10 snake bite victims are children" or 90% are children would appear to be BS pulled out of a hat or some other special place.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I seriously dislike snakes that kill people.

Then maybe people should stop encroaching on the snakes' territory! They have as much right to be on this planet as you do, and frankly speaking there's too many humans already on this planet anyway!!!

Why don't you find a balcony!?...Just to ease the problemrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Kill it. Better children safe. 85% of people bitten here by the Banded Krait die..

Completely wrong.

Again, where do you people get all this <deleted> from? Do you make it up as you go along or do you actually read this incorrectness somewhere??

Toxicology studies sets mortality rates for Bungarus genus Krait bites in the 1-10% region. That's the untreated mortality rate.

The Common Krait, Bungarus caeruleus, is a very dangerous snake. But this snake doesn't exist in Thailand (to my knowledge). Mortality rates for this snake is as high as 70-80% (again, that's untreated mortality rate) (ref. http://toxicology.ucsd.edu/Snakebite%20Protocols/Bungarus.htm). Ha sets the rate at exactly 7% for ALL envenomations when studying 60 people bitten. (ref. Ha, T.H., Hojer, J., Nguyen. T.D. . Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 40(3) pp. 518-524 (2009).)

The funny thing is; Kraits are very shy snakes. Chances are you have quite a few of them around, but because they are so good a hiding (from YOU) you rarely see them.

• Like 2

I was brought up on a farm in Oz. My father told me all snakes were deadly.They were,where we lived, - many eastern and king browns, and some tiger snakes. I grew up with a fear of them. Still have it, but now I know a lot more. I would be very wary of blue kraits and anything else with a triangular shaped head in Thailand. But rather than killing everything, throw mothballs around your garden, snakes don't like them. Encourage the larger skinks and lizards. they don't like them either. Remember snakes are deaf, so noise won't work, but doing a ceremonial aboriginal dance while banging the ground with the end of a heavy stick does. If cornered, stand very, very still,- they will generally leave you alone. Leave the pythons alone - they do a good job on the rats.

• Like 1

I was brought up on a farm in Oz. My father told me all snakes were deadly.They were,where we lived, - many eastern and king browns, and some tiger snakes. I grew up with a fear of them. Still have it, but now I know a lot more. I would be very wary of blue kraits and anything else with a triangular shaped head in Thailand. But rather than killing everything, throw mothballs around your garden, snakes don't like them. Encourage the larger skinks and lizards. they don't like them either. Remember snakes are deaf, so noise won't work, but doing a ceremonial aboriginal dance while banging the ground with the end of a heavy stick does. If cornered, stand very, very still,- they will generally leave you alone. Leave the pythons alone - they do a good job on the rats.

I did not know that about moth balls, might give them a try with this King Cobra at the back door.

Yes, when walking in the bush always carry a stick and tap the ground or just bash the bushes about as you walk, the vibrations shall scare them away before you see them generally.

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

Yes, seems krait, and it is deadly enough. BUT guys, you are not in snake food list, so the snake doesn't want to contact with you, or bite you at all. Just let them go, and they leave. Problem is occurred if you have dog, or you drive snake into the corner. They will attack you or your dog, don't daubt.

My idea, much better if some-one post here what have to do if snake bites you. I don't know clear. THX.

I pick up my car or bike keys and embark upon the road I know what awaits me.

Before leaving home I use and in the side pocket of that car is a anti-mosquito DEET spray.

We teach kids and pets that roads are dangerous things.

Also snakes, scorpions and centipedes are dangerous.

Kids don't always look before putting a hand or foot where a snake happens to be, neither is the eye sight of many old folk perfect.

A snake accidentally cornered or stepped on will care NOTHING about how much good karma you have built up by doing good deeds for snake kind, if it can it will bite you.

You might enjoy the thrill of living next to a open snake farm or rabid dogs with guns but sane people endeavor to reduce risk in their immediate enviroment. If the snake you let go bites and causes the death of a child you will sleep well at night knowing that you karma was not affected?

Take some responsibility for the people around you and remove threats when found - or find a real man to help you !

Hmmm so a real man will kill any snake, and someone who relocates it is not a real man?I'm confused here..help me out :)

• Like 1

At the risk of supplying some factual data to counteract the nonsense that those with an irrational phobia of snakes are spouting, consider the following:

Traffic accidents - reported 54383 - deaths - 7784.

Dengue fever - reported 133377 - deaths - 126

Snakebite - reported 7000 - deaths - 30

It would appear that those who keep spouting "think of the children" would be better teaching their offspring good road sense rather than imparting a fear of snakes.

It is virtually impossible to avoid "traffic" of some sort unless one is a hermit.

Mosquitos likewise are impossible to avoid if you ever leave your air-conditioned condo.

If you are bitten by a snake you are either very unlucky, careless or stupid, especially as most westerners daily work does not bring them into close proximity with the preferred habitats of snakes.

The first is karma, destiny, pre-ordained or whatever you want to believe.

Carelessness can be cured by education and experience.

You can't fix stupid.

On the stats front did you know that more people are killed every year by one animal than all the rest of the animals on the planet put together? And it's not snakes.

Now buzz off and see if you can guess who those killers are. wink.png

Edited by bigbamboo

On the stats front did you know that more people are killed every year by one animal than all the rest of the animals on the planet put together? And it's not snakes.

psychopaths? wink.png

Looks like a banded Krait - pretty deadly if it bites you - best left alone, I have had a few nasty snakes in my place, most of the time they just disappear on their own accord - the worst thing I think you can do is to try and remove it yourself - best leave it to a local if you want it gone, the only time I actually did something about a snake here was when we had a cobra in the downstairs toilet, it was trapped under a piece of wood frame, it was extremely angry and frightened, and was raised up with the hood puffed up - mostly I just leave alone and eventually they make off on their own - this one didn't, so I shot it through the head from a safe distance.

There is no way I would confront one, I have had a few here and like I say 9 out 10 they leave on their own, they don't want to eat you or even want to try to bite you if you leave them alone - The baby snakes are much more dangerous, the adults can usually weigh you up and realise that you are too big to eat, and they won't waste their venom (which takes them a bit of an effort to make) so they often give a dry bite with no venom...however, the babies do not have this experience, and they will bite and inject venom, and kill you!

• Like 2

I wonder if your attitude would change if you found a cobra in your house? And would you take into account the safety of your infant daughter and toddler step-son who had to be ushered outside?

Our home is on a large rural block just outside Thep Sathit - but just 250m from our neighbour's bird aviaries. I'm convinced the aviaries (and the menagerie of other animals the neighbours keep such as monkeys) attract snakes. The last snake the neighbours despatched was a massive python that had gorged itself on a few of their pets. They couldn't get it out of the cage and it was angry.

Whilst I have kept pythons as pets in Australia, they were caged. These cobras have come in from the bush which extends to within 15m from our home.

Sorry if I make you are angry - but it's our kids lives before wildlife...

• Like 2

At the risk of supplying some factual data to counteract the nonsense that those with an irrational phobia of snakes are spouting, consider the following:

Traffic accidents - reported 54383 - deaths - 7784.

Dengue fever - reported 133377 - deaths - 126

Snakebite - reported 7000 - deaths - 30

It would appear that those who keep spouting "think of the children" would be better teaching their offspring good road sense rather than imparting a fear of snakes.

It is virtually impossible to avoid "traffic" of some sort unless one is a hermit.

Mosquitos likewise are impossible to avoid if you ever leave your air-conditioned condo.

If you are bitten by a snake you are either very unlucky, careless or stupid, especially as most westerners daily work does not bring them into close proximity with the preferred habitats of snakes.

The first is karma, destiny, pre-ordained or whatever you want to believe.

Carelessness can be cured by education and experience.

You can't fix stupid.

But how many snakes die in traffic accidents? :) and while Im at it.. gonna stick my neck out just for the hell of it...

suppose those snake statistics are so low because people kill the venomous <deleted> before they get a chance to bite and kill ??

could it be?

saw a disturbing documentary about sharks and how they got a bad rep that they totally do not deserve, but never heard of the snake being the same

psychopaths? wink.png

Or Billy Bob Thai as he's known locally?

• Like 1

I wonder if your attitude would change if you found a cobra in your house? And would you take into account the safety of your infant daughter and toddler step-son who had to be ushered outside?

Our home is on a large rural block just outside Thep Sathit - but just 250m from our neighbour's bird aviaries. I'm convinced the aviaries (and the menagerie of other animals the neighbours keep such as monkeys) attract snakes. The last snake the neighbours despatched was a massive python that had gorged itself on a few of their pets. They couldn't get it out of the cage and it was angry.

Whilst I have kept pythons as pets in Australia, they were caged. These cobras have come in from the bush which extends to within 15m from our home.

Sorry if I make you are angry - but it's our kids lives before wildlife...

Last time I checked, cobra's inside houses threatening infants wasn't on the list of the top 10 million things that could theoretically happen to someone.

But if that for some reason happened I would remove the snake and release it in the wild.

• Like 1

The best Alfred Hitchcock tv episode of all time involved a krait, Two guys are roomies at some jungle outpost, and apparently they are something less than friends. One comes home after having had a few drinks to find his friend in bed, begging him (very quietly) to go find help, because a krait has crawled onto his stomach under the bedclothes. I had never heard of a krait before, and I'm sure that was the case with most people who saw that episode.

The buddy doesn't believe him at first, and then starts needling the guy, maybe even telling him he slept with his wife, whatever, just being a real dick. When he finally agrees to help, he slowly removes the sheet (it's very hot, this is in old-time Malaya), and...no krait. Then he really goes off on the buddy, says he oughta quit drinking before it's too late, etc.

Laughing boy sits himself down on the guys bed, and suddenly lets out a blood curdling scream! The snake really was there, and has bitten him, presumably on his backside. I believe it was mentioned on the show that the small-but-deadly krait is one of the world's deadliest serpents. Antivenin for krait-bite is scarce and usually doesn't get administered in time. Fade to black....

Then of course, Alfred Hitchcock comes on and says something strange and funny in his classic closing comment. This show aired over fifty years ago, and made a big impression on 14 year old me, and millions of others, I'm sure. The snake in question is never seen, only described. Outstanding.

I have nothing against snakes, I just feel better when they're not around.

The heck with the poster that says get more cats. The very best anti-snake animals are Geese, they hate snakes and are very good at keeping them away and/or killing them. If your upcountry and have a snake problem get a goose.

The heck with the poster that says get more cats. The very best anti-snake animals are Geese, they hate snakes and are very good at keeping them away and/or killing them. If your upcountry and have a snake problem get a goose.

and good rubber boots

Edited by AYJAYDEE

DELETED POST

Sorry, but they dont kill anyone.

Neither do snakes..but malaria and venom do smile.png

The dumbest thing that I've read so far is the chap who says all baby snakes must die.

How did that one beat the other slow swimmers.......*sigh*

Edited by Rooo
quotingDeleted post
  • Like 2

The only natural Krait's in Thailand are:

Pictured is the Branded Krait recognized by the yellow and black stripes. Dangerous but not aggressive, rather shy. lethargic during the day. Active at night and then you "may" have a problem. I've actually picked them up and sent them on their way back into the jungle several times.

And how do you know if you have a 'King Cobra" under your house? Only way to tell is if you saw the back of his head when it is "hooded" which is doubtful at best. The King Cobra and the Cobra (Monocled) are two entirely different species. The "King" is only found in Thailand, now where else, unless they are in a zoo and also in the imaginations of others. You may have a Monocled Cobra. Call the local snake rescue.

If you really want to learn about snakes, one should go to the Red Cross Snake Research Center in Bangkok and not to your local snake farm where myths are abundant. In Bangkok is where they develop and produce the newest anti-venom serums. Great place to learn the truth.

There is an old saying,"Ignorance breeds ignorance". So true, with all the snake killers posting here who haven't a clue.

The most dangerous snake in Thailand is the Monocled Cobra, followed by the Russel's Pit Viper along the Burma border, both cause more deaths in Thailand than all the others. Usually the snakes are so remotely located, that when a person gets bit, the victim can not get medical attention in time even though there is medicine for the bite. The Russel's Viper is very aggressive, will not move even when stepped on, and is active day or night. The Monocled Cobra is found in rice fields where farmers are working. Normally, they flee from humans but strike protecting their nest. They too will not back off once provoked.

• Like 1