Snake

GaryB1263

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not care or like them enough to learn about them. I wouldnt kill one for the sake of it, I dont hunt then or actively pursue them.

BUT if one entered my area I would kill it without hesitation or pause. My family is the first priority and I would assume any snake is dangerous as thats the safest way in my opinion.

• Like 1

Kill it. Better children safe. 85% of people bitten here by the Banded Krait die..

Completely wrong.

Again, where do you people get all this <deleted> from? Do you make it up as you go along or do you actually read this incorrectness somewhere??

Toxicology studies sets mortality rates for Bungarus genus Krait bites in the 1-10% region. That's the untreated mortality rate.

The Common Krait, Bungarus caeruleus, is a very dangerous snake. But this snake doesn't exist in Thailand (to my knowledge). Mortality rates for this snake is as high as 70-80% (again, that's untreated mortality rate) (ref. http://toxicology.ucsd.edu/Snakebite%20Protocols/Bungarus.htm). Ha sets the rate at exactly 7% for ALL envenomations when studying 60 people bitten. (ref. Ha, T.H., Hojer, J., Nguyen. T.D. . Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 40(3) pp. 518-524 (2009).)

The funny thing is; Kraits are very shy snakes. Chances are you have quite a few of them around, but because they are so good a hiding (from YOU) you rarely see them.

Sorry, they are fairly common in Thailand. I can't vouch for this, but I once read that there have been no recorded deaths from banded kraits in Thailand...ever.

Show me ONE occasion where a Common Krait has been found in Thailand.

One.

Kill it. Better children safe. 85% of people bitten here by the Banded Krait die..

Completely wrong.

Again, where do you people get all this <deleted> from? Do you make it up as you go along or do you actually read this incorrectness somewhere??

Toxicology studies sets mortality rates for Bungarus genus Krait bites in the 1-10% region. That's the untreated mortality rate.

The Common Krait, Bungarus caeruleus, is a very dangerous snake. But this snake doesn't exist in Thailand (to my knowledge). Mortality rates for this snake is as high as 70-80% (again, that's untreated mortality rate) (ref. http://toxicology.ucsd.edu/Snakebite%20Protocols/Bungarus.htm). Ha sets the rate at exactly 7% for ALL envenomations when studying 60 people bitten. (ref. Ha, T.H., Hojer, J., Nguyen. T.D. . Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 40(3) pp. 518-524 (2009).)

The funny thing is; Kraits are very shy snakes. Chances are you have quite a few of them around, but because they are so good a hiding (from YOU) you rarely see them.

Sorry, they are fairly common in Thailand. I can't vouch for this, but I once read that there have been no recorded deaths from banded kraits in Thailand...ever.

One.

See youtube, appear to be many being shown in Thailand.

Enter: common krait,, Thailand.

One.

See youtube, appear to be many being shown in Thailand.

Enter: common krait,, Thailand.

Again, where do you people get all this from, do you make it up as you go along??? At least try and run a couple of google searches...

Common Krait is a species. The word COMMON doesn't denote something regularly occurring.

The Blue Krait, Bungarus candidus, is common in Thailand, but it is not a Common Krait Bungarus caeruleus.

The other two occurring Kraits in Thailand are:

Bungarus flaviceps (Red-headed Krait)

Bungarus Fasciatus (Banded Krait)

• Like 1

@ scotsman... yours is a Brown Kukri snake. Not venomous, but can give a bite that requires treatment (broken skin, risk of infection, tetanus jab needed) so your wife is correct, i would consider it very mildly dangerous....in the same category as being bitten by a stray dog.

• Like 1

I was brought up on a farm in Oz. My father told me all snakes were deadly.They were,where we lived, - many eastern and king browns, and some tiger snakes. I grew up with a fear of them. Still have it, but now I know a lot more. I would be very wary of blue kraits and anything else with a triangular shaped head in Thailand. But rather than killing everything, throw mothballs around your garden, snakes don't like them. Encourage the larger skinks and lizards. they don't like them either. Remember snakes are deaf, so noise won't work, but doing a ceremonial aboriginal dance while banging the ground with the end of a heavy stick does. If cornered, stand very, very still,- they will generally leave you alone. Leave the pythons alone - they do a good job on the rats.

In Australia I only killed browns but that was because we didnt have tiger snakes or copper heads where I lived. Tigers are savage and will attack like a brown(had a big one strike at our car years ago and hit just below the open window when I was in the army) and the copperhead will bite repeatedly so these 2 are on my kill on site list if they were ever near my house, actually you could probably add the death adder to that and that other little bugger in WA that is also very deadly. Australia has some of the deadliest snakes in the world which doesnt help. Never killed a red belly black as they eat brown snakes and they are being decimated by the cane toads because their main food source are frogs so they need to be saved. I only kill snakes that dont leave or are aggresive, if they leave my area they are left alone otherwise they meet "mr stick".

9 out of 10 lethal snakebites are bitten children, i do not like killing snakes either but all snakes that come in to village are killed venomous or not, even a non venomous snake bite could be dangerous since they have a very strong and alien bacterial flora in mouth. A problem is rat and mouse building nests inside houses, baby rodents are gourmet dinner for snakes. Killed snakes are eaten, i have tried it, tastes like chicken but so does many things i have heard.

Most of the victims were males, in the age group of 31-50 years and were at risk of snake bites while farming. Large sample of subjects approached traditional therapists and were deprived of essential care in the critical first few hours after snake bite. Fang marks (90%), local ecchymoses (50%) and internal hemorrhage (28.3%), were the frequent demonstrable signs appreciated at autopsy.

That is in India http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3614463/

In the US from 1900-2010's

The number was 7 adults:1 child

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

The same doctor allso said that the biggest reason people die from snakebites are the shock "OMG. IM SNAKEBITTEN! NOW I DIE" lowering your imune system.

Seriously, where do people get all this <deleted> from!?

Let's make one thing clear; the reason people die from snake bites is because some snakes inject venom. There are two major types of venom: neurotoxic venoms and heamotoxic venoms, plus a small number of other disgusting venoms including venoms that breaks down tissue (necrotising venoms). The venom is the reason people die. Nothing else.

Excuse me but you started out chalenging the statement that 9 out of 10 that die are children. Now you are off in left field. Care to supply us with the reasoning for the original challenge.

Myself I thought it might be a little high but not much children are more active in the out doors and if bitten are more apt to run thereby spreading the poison faster. Young ones might just be curious and more apt to pick one up.

I was brought up on a farm in Oz. My father told me all snakes were deadly.They were,where we lived, - many eastern and king browns, and some tiger snakes. I grew up with a fear of them. Still have it, but now I know a lot more. I would be very wary of blue kraits and anything else with a triangular shaped head in Thailand. But rather than killing everything, throw mothballs around your garden, snakes don't like them. Encourage the larger skinks and lizards. they don't like them either. Remember snakes are deaf, so noise won't work, but doing a ceremonial aboriginal dance while banging the ground with the end of a heavy stick does. If cornered, stand very, very still,- they will generally leave you alone. Leave the pythons alone - they do a good job on the rats.

In Australia I only killed browns but that was because we didnt have tiger snakes or copper heads where I lived. Tigers are savage and will attack like a brown(had a big one strike at our car years ago and hit just below the open window when I was in the army) and the copperhead will bite repeatedly so these 2 are on my kill on site list if they were ever near my house, actually you could probably add the death adder to that and that other little bugger in WA that is also very deadly. Australia has some of the deadliest snakes in the world which doesnt help. Never killed a red belly black as they eat brown snakes and they are being decimated by the cane toads because their main food source are frogs so they need to be saved. I only kill snakes that dont leave or are aggresive, if they leave my area they are left alone otherwise they meet "mr stick".

Your's sounds like a very 'Balanced Attitude' to your safety and responsibility to wildlife in general and you obviously have a very good appreciation and knowledge of the snakes that lived in Australia. I personally have nothing against snakes and am quite happy to leave them alone. My only problem is that I do not have enough knowledge to distinguish between those that could inflict a life threatening bite and the one's that are harmless. I was recently walking around the outside of my house on a sandstone washed path early evening and turned a corner and nearly stood on a snake which was eating a frog. Before I realised it, the snake released the frog and had a go at my foot ( I was barefoot) and luckily I manged to jump out of the way. Now I know, that this was the snake reacting to my sudden appearance, but it frightened the hell out of me. I was expecting visitors the next week and they have a young baby who is very active and my thoughts were centered around her. This particular snake I have never seen before, but it had a very well defined 'V' marking on it's head. I have to confess that I despatched it with a spade. I have looked on the internet to try and identify this snake without success, but two of the Thai gardeners told me that it was extremely dangerous when I showed them the pictures that I had taken to try and identify it. Identification of this snake would be appreciated.

I have had other snakes in the garden in the past which I have left alone unmolested (apart from a cobra that spat at me as I was trying to get my two cats away from it) and not seen again, so I am not out to kill all snakes, as I appreciate their environmental position in keeping down the rodent population; as has been amply described by others on this forum.

As I said previously, I would appreciate knowing what kind of snake this is, in order that I am not about to kill another one in the future, if I can identify it as not being dangerous.

post-26106-0-84981600-1384749382_thumb.j

post-26106-0-05347700-1384749428_thumb.j

Your's sounds like a very 'Balanced Attitude' to your safety and responsibility to wildlife in general and you obviously have a very good appreciation and knowledge of the snakes that lived in Australia. I personally have nothing against snakes and am quite happy to leave them alone. My only problem is that I do not have enough knowledge to distinguish between those that could inflict a life threatening bite and the one's that are harmless. I was recently walking around the outside of my house on a sandstone washed path early evening and turned a corner and nearly stood on a snake which was eating a frog. Before I realised it, the snake released the frog and had a go at my foot ( I was barefoot) and luckily I manged to jump out of the way. Now I know, that this was the snake reacting to my sudden appearance, but it frightened the hell out of me. I was expecting visitors the next week and they have a young baby who is very active and my thoughts were centered around her. This particular snake I have never seen before, but it had a very well defined 'V' marking on it's head. I have to confess that I despatched it with a spade. I have looked on the internet to try and identify this snake without success, but two of the Thai gardeners told me that it was extremely dangerous when I showed them the pictures that I had taken to try and identify it. Identification of this snake would be appreciated.

I have had other snakes in the garden in the past which I have left alone unmolested (apart from a cobra that spat at me as I was trying to get my two cats away from it) and not seen again, so I am not out to kill all snakes, as I appreciate their environmental position in keeping down the rodent population; as has been amply described by others on this forum.

As I said previously, I would appreciate knowing what kind of snake this is, in order that I am not about to kill another one in the future, if I can identify it as not being dangerous.

NONvenemous Kukri. Either the gardeners have a "kill em all" attitude, didn't know or were telling you what they think you wanted to hear but the kukri is harmless.

In most parts of Thailand this is the time of year when snakes are about, as its not too wet for them and there is still plenty of vegetation to hide under. There are a couple of reasonably good guidebooks with photos around - the better bookshops have them. But as your experience suggests many people come across snakes by accident, or by stepping on them, that's how they're bitten. Lucky though we are in Thailand not Oz.. Some years ago my brother was catching his horse on our family farm there. He was walking through some long grass and suddenly realised he was standing on a snake. (brown) He jumped but the snake bit him through the instep of his leather riding boot. He was quite sick for a while. He had made a torneque around his leg which caused a blood clot and didn't help. We know better now.

Went to fire up the strimmer yesterday to tidy up after mowing the 'lawn' (more of a meadow).

There was a 50cm Golden Tree Snake completely concealed in the plastic engine cover, he bolted when I started the engine, I don't know who was more scared, the snake or me :)

Take the time to learn about the the most common 10 species, that will cover 90% of your encounters, then you will better know how to react.

The snake in the weedwacker probably would have given me a fatal heart attack, first human ever to be killed by a golden tree snake.w00t.gif

The same doctor allso said that the biggest reason people die from snakebites are the shock "OMG. IM SNAKEBITTEN! NOW I DIE" lowering your imune system.

Let's make one thing clear; the reason people die from snake bites is because some snakes inject venom. There are two major types of venom: neurotoxic venoms and heamotoxic venoms, plus a small number of other disgusting venoms including venoms that breaks down tissue (necrotising venoms). The venom is the reason people die. Nothing else.

And? What is it you are trying to say?

I'm trying to highlight the completely incorrect and humorous statements made by Indrid Cold.

"Lowering your immune system"?

If that aint the funniest thing I've read on TV I dont know what is. It's at least up there with the top 5.

@ scotsman... yours is a Brown Kukri snake. Not venomous, but can give a bite that requires treatment (broken skin, risk of infection, tetanus jab needed) so your wife is correct, i would consider it very mildly dangerous....in the same category as being bitten by a stray dog.

Thank you for your description of this snake I am sure you are correct it does sound like that's what he called it and my wife and the motor bike taxi guy were scared of it so I did think it was venomous at the time.

Regards

Scotsman

• Like 1

I'm trying to highlight the completely incorrect and humorous statements made by Indrid Cold.

"Lowering your immune system"?

If that aint the funniest thing I've read on TV I dont know what is. It's at least up there with the top 5.

Oh...! I understand, I did´nt see that post. Yes of course it is the venom and nothing else that kills. Well, maybe someone with a very weak hearth can die of chock....

But it is the venom that kills, yes.

NONvenemous Kukri. Either the gardeners have a "kill em all" attitude, didn't know or were telling you what they think you wanted to hear but the kukri is harmless.

Thanks for the info. I'm damned if I could find a picture of a snake that matched this one, no matter where I looked. It was the 'V' with the ring mark at the point of the 'V' that I couldn't find anywhere. Can anybody point me to a site that has pictures of this 'Kukri' and other such snakes? And , yes I will 'google' it after I've sent this, before some smarty pants comes and tells me to to do that!

Thanks for the info. I'm damned if I could find a picture of a snake that matched this one, no matter where I looked. It was the 'V' with the ring mark at the point of the 'V' that I couldn't find anywhere. Can anybody point me to a site that has pictures of this 'Kukri' and other such snakes? And , yes I will 'google' it after I've sent this, before some smarty pants comes and tells me to to do that!

Check post 101 on top of this page.

Clue:

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/non-venomous/brown-kukri-snake-non-venomous-not-dangerous/

Clue:

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/non-venomous/brown-kukri-snake-non-venomous-not-dangerous/

Thanks 'Forethat'. I'd just found this site when I came back on TV. The body looks the same but I cannot see any pictures of very different marking on the head which looked most unusual to me.

Clue:

Thanks 'Forethat'. I'd just found this site when I came back on TV. The body looks the same but I cannot see any pictures of very different marking on the head which looked most unusual to me.
Yes, the markings vary a bit between individuals.

In my opinion; if one is unable to identify a snake, dont take any chances by trying to sweep a snake out of a house or or chase it with a stick. Spraying the snake with water usually gets it going...

• 2 months later...