Rats! in the house.

Spaniel

Last week I heard some scratching around in the ceiling and immediately assumed it was a rat. I bought a trap, placed it in the ceiling, and so far have caught 3. There is a klong and park at the edge of our housing estate and my wife said I should take them there and release them. I told her that is just making a problem for someone else. I drowned them in the klong but told my wife I released them so now everyone is happy. I'm sure others have had rat problems so what do you do when you catch them?

The lucky ones, In the house, I catch with a live trap and since I am rural, I take them out to the sticks and let them go. The unlucky ones that decide to check out my car port get poisoned. I have had two wires in the car chewed through in the last 6 months. I have that god awful smelly stuff in the car now that is suppose to keep them away. We will see!

The lucky ones, In the house, I catch with a live trap and since I am rural, I take them out to the sticks and let them go. The unlucky ones that decide to check out my car port get poisoned. I have had two wires in the car chewed through in the last 6 months. I have that god awful smelly stuff in the car now that is suppose to keep them away. We will see!

What stuff is that. I have had 3 complete airconditioner cleans in the last 3 months.Cost me 10500 for the last one with all the vents out and cleaned too. Cannot put poison because our ratcatching dog likes to sleep under the vigo.

What is this smelly stuff you are talking about and does it keep dogs away?

One, or more, of our four golden retrievers likes to chew on the wiring for the rear lights on one of our cars.

I would like to know of something that would dissuade them from ever doing it again.

Edited by chuckd

What is this smelly stuff you are talking about and does it keep dogs away?

One, or more, of our four golden retrievers likes to chew on the wiring for the rear lights on one of our cars.

I would like to know of something that would dissuade them from ever doing it again.

post-62323-0-29442400-1384615282_thumb.j

Just joking whistling.gif

Edited by chickenslegs

I had the same problem with my Labrador. After the 2nd time I put grease over all the wiring underneath and it did not happen again.

...Then she chewed the wiring on my bike!

Edited by Amusements

A flute may do the trick ..or a snake maybe ..

if you have access to their route , you could put up some wires n attach to mains supply . not recommended lol ..

tiger or lion poo might deter the rats also ..

cant think of anything else just yet ..

good luck .thumbsup.gif

I had the same problem. Used to sound like a herd of stampeding cattle in the attic.

The best and cleanest way to rid the attic of rats is to use poison pellets. These don`t kill the rats instantly, it`s a slow acting poison and what the rats do is after eating their share they then take back some to the nest and feed their babies with them. These have the affect of eventually killing the adults and also destroying the whole community of rats in the area as they share the poison pellets.

These pellets are cheap, pink coloured and obtainable from most supermarkets, including Tesco Lotus.

Directions:

Get 4 of those plastic air tight container lids, such as from the plastic ice cream containers or similar. Open a packet of the pellets and pour equal amounts onto the 4 plastic lids. In the attic place each lid with the pellets at each corner of the attic. After about 1 week the rats will be gone. Be careful not to drop any of the pellets onto the floor during the process, especially if you have dogs or young children in the house and make sure you wash your hands after touching the pellets.

If the rats appear again after a period of time, just repeat the process again.

post-110219-0-70164100-1384618206_thumb.