Internet Explorer not working anymore but G. Chrome no problem

guzzi850m2

Hi,

Can't open Explorer anymore but all other Browsers on my desktop pc no problem (Win7 64 bit legal op system)

Every time I try to run it, it freezes up and getting following message:

Description:

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 11.0.9600.16428

I did uninstall Java6 yesterday after my free Avast antivirus advised me to do so and am running Java 7 now. 6 & 7 were both installed before this problem started.

This same Avast virus program are giving me more and more headaches now. When I came home after app 6 weeks work overseas it suddenly just stopped the pc. I first though it was my ups that did it but no it was the dammed Avast program, maybe I should go back to AVG.

Anybody know what I can do, many thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention: I did install a new version of Internet Explorer this morning, no differences.

This IE browser don't appear the add/remove programs as chrome & firefox does, so I can't even remove it.

I have been using IE for so long time now so I prefer that browser now.

internet Explorer is integral to Windows so it is a little hard to uninstall (certainly not a common procedure using normal routines). The best most can do (or should) is to uninstall all updates using -->

Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> View Installed Updates --> Find "Windows Internet Explorer xx(version number)" and Uninstall. This will return internet Explorer to factory settings. Now you SHOULD be able to open it and start updating again.

However there are 2 further options that should really consider first:

1) Forget it (not realistic, but also not bad advice). In so much as use Firefox (best by a LONG shot) instead of iE and get used to that.

2) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/apphangxprocb1-issue/9fb67640-7bc8-49c5-aa3d-68c0b52b7768

You should probably look to 2 as your answer as it is the MS advice for your Problem Event Name.

• Like 2

Many thanks draftvader, you are the man. wai2.gif

After looking into the links, I did a reset in control panel/internet options and that did the trick, so for now it's back to IE.

I might try firefox later a bit more serious.

Thanks again.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

The advantages for Firefox are, and will always remain, its neutral position bought on by its open status. This allows all sorts of people to contribute to ensure that we can use the internet the way it is intended, safely and make it work for us.

google Chrome is a great idea ruined by some poor execution from the rendering engine and dubious data collection routines. There is, however, an answer to that in "SR Ware Iron" which is the original Chromium project continued independently from google (being that google's Chrome IS open source but does not utilise 3rd party code within the actual browser itself...making it proprietary...but I digress too much). It is nice to have but just not worth considering if you need just 1 browser. If that is your gig then Firefox should be the only answer.

I have to use ALL browsers in my work so I know them all extensively. My family, clients and friends? Firefox is the only thing I will recommend and I remind them all of it regularly for their safety and enjoyment online.

• Like 2

Although I will go to Firefox on occasion I still consider it to be the FORD (fix or repair daily) of browsers for the very reason that makes it good and each update can bring new issues to some new people. For me there have been less issues with Chrome and do not believe it is any less secure. But admit my experience is personal. I have also have very good results with Bitdefender free as my anti-virus this year.

• Like 1

Although I will go to Firefox on occasion I still consider it to be the FORD (fix or repair daily) of browsers for the very reason that makes it good and each update can bring new issues to some new people. For me there have been less issues with Chrome and do not believe it is any less secure. But admit my experience is personal. I have also have very good results with Bitdefender free as my anti-virus this year.

I've experienced that so many people think that they don't need any Anti Virus systems. : I've got Windows 7 and all the updates protect me." Or guys with an Apple: " We don't need such Anti Virus Programmes, as they only affect Microsoft products"

That's obviously not true. I'd given some movies to a MAC owner, who'd copied a few movies on his notebook from my memory stick. When I got it back it had some Apple specific and strange viruses and Trojan horses.

He then didn't believe me, and his notebook quit its job only a few weeks afterwards. Could have been the crap he had on it. Hard to find a competent shop familiar with Apple products.

I've tried almost all Anti virus systems, running AVG 2014, full version now. Had Avast, couldn't hear that weird: " A virus has been detected" anymore, as it didn't find the serious ones.

Norton was also a very bad idea and a pain in the butt, it always slowed my system down, without finding the little monsters.

Had NOD and others, but # 1 is and always was Kaspersky. Affordable and reliable.If you really want to know how good your actual Anti Virus program is, download the free trial version from Kaspersky and you'll be surprised what other don't find.

Here's a link for a 30 day trial: http://www.kaspersky.com/trials

I truly believe that Anti Virus selling companies also "create" them. It's business. Money doesn't stink.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

+1 for Chrome

Chrome has so many nice futures, you won't find at firefox. Spell check included.-wai2.gif

er....

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker

Firefox really is just better than Chrome. Consider the revelation that your stored passwords weren't encrypted until recently in Chrome. Think about the poor graphical rendering issues and the specific code that has to be written to accomplish CSS3 tasks. These kind of sloppy edges are what has plagued iE for so long. In the latest version I am seeing better things from iE than I am Chrome.

Firefox simply has the largest feedback resources in the browser marketplace. You should try letting google know about errors in their browser through their official developer threads....there are some topics with 300+ posts and nothing from anybody at google. Firefox seems to be well on top of their major issues and their release cycle provides quick fixes for any new problems.

Another person has eluded to issues with the updates. Personally the only issues I have had with updates have been a minority of "add-ons" that did not have a very active developer. Best thing then is to find a new tool. Keeping the number of add-ons (extensions) low is a key way to ensuring browser security and stability, hence the reason why I have 2 Firefox profiles (1 for work and 1 for personal). The most obvious sign of Firefox's importance to web developers is Firebug which is one of the most important tools available to a web developer/builder/manager. In Chrome Firebug is stripped out and just about provides enough to check for Chrome exceptions (an unfortunate side-effect of their inability to deal with their rendering issues), in Firefox it is a HUGE tool that can test almost any issue with a website.

If you are going to use Chrome then insist on using SR Ware Iron. Agreed it does NOT have an auto-update but this is actually a good thing as you can read the release notes BEFORE committing to a new version. Chrome's seamless updating is not such a wise choice if you use it for sensitive web stuff as this can lead to a change that you are not aware of. Would you drive your car if a mechanic you don't know had worked under the bonnet whilst you slept and then left without explaining what they did? It really is the same with seamless updates.