Phang Nga Bay tops TripAdvisor list of Thailand’s top ten national parks

Lite Beer

Phang Nga Bay tops TripAdvisor list of Thailand’s top ten national parks

BANGKOK: From mountaintop evergreen forests to marine parks encircled by islands rich in sea life, the national parks of Thailand are usually blessed with natural beauty and historical importance. TripAdvisor travel site today reveals Thailand’s top ten National Parks. The list takes travellers with a quest for journeys of discovery across the country, from the highlands in the north to the secluded coastline in the south.

post-36914-0-23130700-1384500515_thumb.j

Phang Nga Bay.

Topping the list is Phang Nga Bay in southern Thailand which is famous for its spectacular crystal clear water, limestone cliffs and secluded bays. According to a TripAdvisor traveller, “Words can't discern how beautiful these islands are. The dramatic view of the colourful limestone cliffs soaring from the emerald green water is mesmerizing.”

At 2,565 metres above sea level and forming part of the Himalayas, Doi Inthanon National Park in Chiang Mai is Thailand’s highest mountain. With cascading waterfalls, rivers and lush summit forests, the mountains are also home to the Meo and Karen hill tribes aswell as a rare variety of indigenous and migrant birds.

As described by a TripAdvisor traveller, “To ride from the swelter of the summer heat up into the cool and the clouds that visited us on the mountain, was almost surreal! The royal Pagodas are a must-see attraction; truly regal!”

Khao Sok National Park is a virgin rainforest dotted by limestone mountain ranges and high cliffs. Established as a national park in 1980, the poised limestone mountains resemble those in Guilin, China resulting in the local nickname of “Thailand’s Guilin”.

Enthused a TripAdvisor traveller, “The park was just amazing. Limestone cliffs, the lake, river canoeing, trekking, cooling off in the pool. If you are travelling to this region and are an outdoors person, then definitely visit the national park.”

The top 10 National Parks in Thailand, as ranked by TripAdvisor, are as follows:

Phang Nga Bay, Phang Nga

Doi Inthanon, Chiang Mai

Khao Sok National Park, Surat Thani

Erawan National Park, Kanchanaburi

Angthong National Marine Park, Koh Samui, Surat Thani

Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park, Prachuap Khiri Khan

Similan Islands National Park, Phang Nga

Doi Suthep-Pui National Park, Chiang Mai

Kao Yai National Park, Nakhon Ratchasima

Sai Yok National Park, Kanchanaburi

“The National Parks of Thailand provide a myriad of activities from climbing a mountain, white water rafting down a river to simply relaxing on a beach, these beautiful parks never disappoint,” said Jean Ow-Yeong, TripAdvisor spokesperson.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phang-nga-bay-tops-tripadvisor-list-of-thailand%E2%80%99s-top-ten-national-parks-42862.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-15

'I'd take just one american national park, like Yosemite or Denali, for scenic beauty and ecological diversity to all these Thai parks lumped together.'

That's your opinion, though not one shared by all. I'm sure the places you mention are awesome but conversely you have nowhere to compare with the likes of Phang Nga, Similans or Kao Sok. Have you been to these places?

I'm no Thai lover but it does have some beautiful places for sure- and i'm in Indonesia right now, so know what to compare the best with.

'I'd take just one american national park, like Yosemite or Denali, for scenic beauty and ecological diversity to all these Thai parks lumped together.'

That's your opinion, though not one shared by all. I'm sure the places you mention are awesome but conversely you have nowhere to compare with the likes of Phang Nga, Similans or Kao Sok. Have you been to these places?

I'm no Thai lover but it does have some beautiful places for sure- and i'm in Indonesia right now, so know what to compare the best with.

Yes I have been to many, and to Indonesia, Malaysian Borneo, and the Philippines too, and while they all have some nice sights, especially Borneo, none have anything to compare to the topographical and biological diversity found in the park system in the USA. The commercial exploitation and despoliation of what little natural beauty left to be found in SE Asia is rampant as well.

Thailand has many great polluted scenes if you want to see first hand how they care for their environment. Most puplic parks and forrests I,ve seen resemble rubbish tips .......beautiful if your into that rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Have you actually seen any mega-fauna anywhere in Thailand (outside of a zoo or roadside animal attraction like an elephant camp or crocodile farm). If the authorities find one Siamese crocodile or guar in the wild it's headline news here while in a park like the Everglades in Florida, there are literally thousands of alligators running around everywhere and wild buffaloes and deer can be found in most states. I would venture to say that there is more wildlife in many urban areas of the USA, like the San Francisco Bay Area, than in all of Thailand.

I was happy to see that Phang Nga Bay had done so well in Trip Advisor and was looking forward to reading some expat posts, proud of the natural wonders on their doorstep.

But no!

What did my Mum say.......if you can't say anything positive, don't say anything.

You guys would take the pleasure out of winning the lottery!

Why run down your adopted country? Rather, go home if you have nothing positive to say.

post-4641-1156694606.gif.pagespeed.ce.-w

• Like 1

I was happy to see that Phang Nga Bay had done so well in Trip Advisor and was looking forward to reading some expat posts, proud of the natural wonders on their doorstep.

But no!

What did my Mum say.......if you can't say anything positive, don't say anything.

You guys would take the pleasure out of winning the lottery!

Why run down your adopted country? Rather, go home if you have nothing positive to say.

post-4641-1156694606.gif.pagespeed.ce.-w

Most of the folks that participate in these kind of polls are from chilly northern climes so any warm tropical.place with a few decent beaches and cheap beer will score very highly with them. This poll is similar to the polls we are always reading about stating that Bangkok is some sort of world class city or at least very popular with tourists. I will grant you that if you are coming from.a western non-Buddhist culture it is a faciniting place to visit but the only things it's world class in is traffic jams and pollution of all sorts, including water, air, and noise.

What, no pictures of the cave with all the penises in it...that one must be really popular with the ladies as you don't see that everyday in Blighty! Like I said, interesting in a queer sort of way if your from the West but nothing awe inspiring about Krabi or Au Nang Bay.

I don't know what you are taking about?

Can you show me a link to that or a name?

I have never heard of that cave. What are you saying?

What, no pictures of the cave with all the penises in it...that one must be really popular with the ladies as you don't see that everyday in Blighty! Like I said, interesting in a queer sort of way if your from the West but nothing awe inspiring about Krabi or Au Nang Bay.

It's on the main beach in Krabi town...I guess you too the phang gha bay boat tour...the one where you have to lie down flat in the boat to get through one of the caves? Nice pics...glad you're enjoying thailand and hope your enjoy your Bangkok stay.

• Like 1

It's on the main beach in Krabi town...I guess you too the phang gha bay boat tour...the one where you have to lie down flat in the boat to get through one of the caves? Nice pics...glad you're enjoying thailand and hope your enjoy your Bangkok stay.

Oh yes i took that one and the freaking boat guy will ask for a 100 bht tip they do it to all customers.

I actually didn't go into krabi town come to think of it. I was at Ao nang area and krabi town is quite far from there.

Before we arrived this is what we see on shore. Oh lord the throngs of ppl! It's a nightmare you know cos it was teeming with ppl from every nationality.

dg57.jpg

This is what you have to walk through on the entire island everywhere

mloz.jpg

noqi.jpg

Expensive junk being sold on one of the stops. What's more shocking is that ppl bought them

mhxl.jpg

0uyd.jpg

5w8a.jpg

One of the "friendly" shop sellers. They aren't in full ninja mode unlike their counterparts from the middle east

ru4i.jpg

Saw the dad of this family well i think bargaining or arguing or whatever with the stall owner or maybe just buying some of that junk. He isn't seen in the pic but his pretty wife is

0lx6.jpg

that rock thing from another angle

qob4.jpg

I just spent a week in Phuket and then Krabi. I spent one night in Phuket town, then three nights at Ao Karon beach. Great swimming. I then took the ferry from Phuket over to Ao Nang. Nice boat ride. Very scenic. Ao Nang and Railey Beaches were nice, but I prefer a more active ocean with some waves. Ao Nang is not as open. The stacks and islands are impressive. Unfortunately while I did pay for a day trip to tour the usual James Bond Island and what not, I took sick and did not go.

Phuket sand beaches were nice. Ao Nang was a cute little town with some nightlife in two enclaves. Ao Nang beach was kind of muddy and not white sand. Around the corner at Railey beach the beach was sand.