Why doesn't Thailand do something about all the dogs?

attrayant

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the UK dog owners need to have a licence. If stray dogs are caught they are handed in to dog shelters like Battersea dogs home and looked after, hoping someone will adopt the dog.If the dog is not claimed or is unwanted after a few days it is regretfully "put to sleep" as kindly as possible.

Surely you should see that this is a much more civilised and sensible way to deal with the problem. What is the point of keeping dogs alive so that they can suffer pain and sickness then starve to death?This is obviously the difference between European and Asian thinking. Europeans love dogs.Asians hate dogs.

In the UK dog owners need to have a licence. If stray dogs are caught they are handed in to dog shelters like Battersea dogs home and looked after, hoping someone will adopt the dog.If the dog is not claimed or is unwanted after a few days it is regretfully "put to sleep" as kindly as possible.

Surely you should see that this is a much more civilised and sensible way to deal with the problem. What is the point of keeping dogs alive so that they can suffer pain and sickness then starve to death?This is obviously the difference between European and Asian thinking. Europeans love dogs.Asians hate dogs.

your logic is flawed. your conclusion does not follow from the facts.

• Like 1

and who would pay for it?

Pay for what?

sensible dog ownership?

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

killing all the strays. by definition they dont have owners
So that is a reason enough to kill? Because no owners.

Gee, why not kill all the animals and wild life, after all according to your logic none have owners.

Now that we finished talking total and utter nonsense , back to OP.

No one does anything about dogs for the same reason why no one does anything about holes in the roads , bikes riding on footpaths , little kids riding bikes, banks not having charge backs for credit cards, major utility company's not having basic options of paying by credit card and list goes on.

Either deal with it or get over it.

Or if you feel somewhat patriotic, can spend some money on curing sick ones( sometimes it only costs 10 baht) so sickness does not spread and desex a few per week or month.

Maybe someone already responded to this Lib, haven't read thru all the posts, though but isn't applying ones own culture/values/believes on another country's values considered bigotry...in a liberal sense. You kill them when necessary & when there are no witnesses; or let them be. If you have a problem with how this or that is handled, than go back to your own country.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Maybe someone already responded to this Lib, haven't read thru all the posts, though but isn't applying ones own culture/values/believes on another country's values considered bigotry...in a liberal sense. You kill them when necessary & when there are no witnesses; or let them be. If you have a problem with how this or that is handled, than go back to your own country.

Ethnocentrism.

Ethnocentrism.

Is that Thaiglish or what !! Fling me off to Oxford dictionary again. laugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Ethnocentrism.

Is that Thaiglish or what !! Fling me off to Oxford dictionary again. laugh.png

Here we go again - the word "culture' being used as some catch-all excuse. Nonsense! Firtly one has to define what is and isn't "Thai culture" - which is pretty much impossible (come back in 3 years) - and then try to shoe horn it into an argument that is based on public safety and hygiene.

Try applying this to societies that practice human sacrifice or cannibalism or child brides.

Edited by wilcopops

Ethnocentrism.

Is that Thaiglish or what !! Fling me off to Oxford dictionary again.

Here we go again - the word "culture' being used as some catch-all excuse. Nonsense! Firtly one has to define what is and isn't "Thai culture" - which is pretty much impossible (come back in 3 years) - and then try to shoe horn it into an argument that is based on public safety and hygiene.

Try applying this to societies that practice human sacrifice or cannibalism or child brides.

Interesting point. Until quite recently I believe there were hill tribe people who didn't shower, killed twins and married at 12 years of age. Seems to make eating dogs rather minor.

Edited by thailiketoo

Dogs are happier here than in the UK. They are free to roam about in groups, they come alive at night. In UK they are prisoners, wear a lead, must be very frustrating, can you imagine in.

I even saw a dog with paralysed back legs, dragging itself using its front two legs only. Sad that was, but you see beggers doing that also sometimes

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is that Thaiglish or what !! Fling me off to Oxford dictionary again.

Interesting point. Until quite recently I believe there were hill tribe people who didn't shower, killed twins and married at 12 years of age. Seems to make eating dogs rather minor.

One also needs to learn to discern between salacious rumour and plausible examples.

One also needs to learn to discern between salacious rumour and plausible examples.

Twins are considered an extremely ominous occurrence, one where spirits are considered to interfere with human matters. The Akha believed that only animals could give birth to more than one offspring and therefore considered twins as beasts. Up until about 20 years or so ago, they would have been killed immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akha_people

Twins are considered an extremely ominous occurrence, one where spirits are considered to interfere with human matters. The Akha believed that only animals could give birth to more than one offspring and therefore considered twins as beasts. Up until about 20 years or so ago, they would have been killed immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akha_people

you don't seem to geddit do you? this is about dogs - my aim was to illustrate an point, it was not to be taken as a literal example, it was allegorical......My fault; I thought I was engaging a higher level of comprehension.

you don't seem to geddit do you? this is about dogs - my aim was to illustrate an point, it was not to be taken as a literal example, it was allegorical......My fault; I thought I was engaging a higher level of comprehension.

Do you expect anyone to believe that? You wrote, "Try applying this to societies that practice human sacrifice or cannibalism or child brides." I wrote, "Akha kill twins." You said, "One also needs to learn to discern between salacious rumour and plausible examples" You implied what I wrote was a salacious rumor. It is not and I gave you documented written examples.

you don't seem to geddit do you? this is about dogs - my aim was to illustrate an point, it was not to be taken as a literal example, it was allegorical.......................My fault; I thought I was engaging a higher level of comprehension.

Your too clever for me you lost me a while back. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Do you expect anyone to believe that? You wrote, "Try applying this to societies that practice human sacrifice or cannibalism or child brides." I wrote, "Akha kill twins." You said, "One also needs to learn to discern between salacious rumour and plausible examples" You implied what I wrote was a salacious rumor. It is not and I gave you documented written examples.

So nyone with a modicum of common sense would realise it wasn't an invitation to debate strange practices around the world - I can't 9imagine what you were like at school - you are meant to be able to draw inferences and understand some basic implications in a debate.

vermin the lot of them

How many times have you had your life saved by a Thai dog?

Don't know about " sms " but my question would be, I would say it would have more answers, " How many times has a Thai dog cause death, on the roads, injury or damage to people or vehicle.

My last one was 2500 baht for a new front spoiler, obviously the owner of the dog denied any knowledge of owning the dog in question which was a porkie of course.

vermin the lot of them

Don't know about " sms " but my question would be, I would say it would have more answers, " How many times has a Thai dog cause death, on the roads, injury or damage to people or vehicle.

My last one was 2500 baht for a new front spoiler, obviously the owner of the dog denied any knowledge of owning the dog in question which was a porkie of course.

Ya I can see that. Same reason I will never buy a German or Japanese car. I guess I'm just lucky as a dog never killed any of my close family members and in fact warned me of a very poisonous snake and killed said snake and severely damaged a would be robber who will now not even walk by my house.

vermin the lot of them

Ya I can see that. Same reason I will never buy a German or Japanese car. I guess I'm just lucky as a dog never killed any of my close family members and in fact warned me of a very poisonous snake and killed said snake and severely damaged a would be robber who will now not even walk by my house.

Ya I can see that. Same reason I will never buy a German or Japanese car. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Surprising not one person has mentioned Thailand is a Buddhist country .....

It was the reason it was stopped some 10 years ago.

The fact of the matter is that the people of Thailand have spoken and they would rather dogs slowly succumb to illness, starvation and then death that put them out of their misery.

Edited by notmyself

Has anyone noticed: Some of the dogs at CMU seem extremely aggressive toward humans. They also exhibit typical canine pack behavior. I do like dogs around the campus. But some of these dogs definitely need to go.

CMU should have a hotline, and students should take photos of problem dogs and post them on a website devoted to recording complaints.

Anyone listening at CMU?

I hope so, because someone may get seriously mauled.

Edited by PoetDrunkInTheBoat