TrueMove 3g Internet 5 GB package includes uploads !

MrMuddle

Hi, My Truemove internet has been painfully slow for over a week, so I contacted them, and they have told me that my package of internet usage (899 baht a month), includes BOTH download and uploads to a total of 5 GB !
I have been with them over a year, and this has never been the case before, are the local shop trying to BS me, or have they suddenly changed their package ?
I have written to them on Facebook, and asked them to supply the name and address of their Managing Director, so I can complain directly to him, but I'm not hopeful of a reply !
Is this the same with other internet providers, that both uploads and downloads are included in the package price, because I really want to tell them where to shove their internet !
Thanks for any comments / advice.

• Like 1

is this the same with other internet providers, that both uploads and downloads are included in the package price?

Yes.

This has been a universal practice, here in Thailand and in most countries, since the beginning of time, re: since volume-based mobile data plans were on offer.

You might want to hold off venting re: "where to shove" things, unless you want to sound/look like a complete doofus.

Same in Australia - uploads and downloads included. I don't know of anywhere that does these separately or does not charge for uploads.

After I used the 5 gb on true, I used to be able to "top up" an additional 10 gb at 1699 baht. This service is now gone and in place is "top up" of only 2gb at 550 baht. Bastards. Looking for other options now but I am in the sticks so they are limited. Anybody have any info on IpStar service from TOT?

• Like 1

After I used the 5 gb on true, I used to be able to "top up" an additional 10 gb at 1699 baht. This service is now gone and in place is "top up" of only 2gb at 550 baht. Bastards. Looking for other options now but I am in the sticks so they are limited. Anybody have any info on IpStar service from TOT?

IpStar is quite expensive and the speed is slow. One has to pay almost 2800 baht per month for a 1 Mb/s (download) / 512 kbps (upload) Internet connection, and depending on weather conditions (amongst other parameters), it could be much less than those maximum speeds. But there is no cap in the Internet usage (unlimited traffic), that's the only real advantage.

If available at your location, Wi-Net by TOT would be a much better choice.

• Like 2

A bit off topic but here goes: I pay ais 100 baht for 20 hours. There is no mention of gb. So what have I got? 3g?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, but...

Time-based plans are usually limited to 384 Kbps for obvious reasons, which can be delivered over 3G, or GSM (2G:GPRS/EDGE: ~ 200 Kbps avg.)

If you want higher speeds you'll have to subscribe to a volume-based plan (daily/weekly/monthly: capped or uncapped, one time or recurring). You might also consider porting to the new AIS/2100 MHz subsidiary (AWN), and maybe get a new SIM.

• Like 1

Of course the upload is also counted, always has been with probably every provider in the world.

And its actually closer to 1000 Baht since the 899 doesn't include VAT. Good connection and speeds though. And they let you go on a monthly plan (and let get well into the minus by ordering extra data) even though you pre-pay and they don't have your name or address. Go figure.

Edited by MaikB84

About 10 years ago I had IPSTAR. Not sure what they offer now, about 1 year ago I was thinging about getting IPSTAR or a equal again and talked to a couple of shops in Korat. To be honest they discouraged me for various reasons. Not sure what speed IPstar offers now also but mine was 256K.

A bit off topic but here goes: I pay ais 100 baht for 20 hours. There is no mention of gb. So what have I got? 3g?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have 30 hours (mobile) internet for 99bt with AIS, I took it to the AIS shop when they pledged this year to switch existing packages to 3G on same T&C.

On my HTC you get a symbol indicating the type of data connection ie 3G, H(DSPA) & E(dge), the last of which I believe is "2.5G" where 3G coverage is not available.

Edited by elliottm

I got the same package - And yes it has been slow also for me - Since I'm in Bangkok and have free use of wifi I have skipped from condo to street at an local cafe / bar and got faster speeds that I was getting on 3G.

Edited by spambot

5 gig 3G in UK from 3 (cost £8) lasted a month easy, 5 gig here from True, 2 weeks tops, roughly same usage, explain?

What sort of phone are you using?

I'm on Android. I'm a techie so I use my phone a lot more than most and I don't come anywhere near the 5 GB limit I have with AIS.

I can't for the life of me think how someone uses 5 GB in 2 weeks. What do you use your phone for???

5 gig 3G in UK from 3 (cost £8) lasted a month easy, 5 gig here from True, 2 weeks tops, roughly same usage, explain?

I'm on Android. I'm a techie so I use my phone a lot more than most and I don't come anywhere near the 5 GB limit I have with AIS.

I can't for the life of me think how someone uses 5 GB in 2 weeks. What do you use your phone for???

Perhaps another like me - If it is the only internet one has. No smart phone just an aircard and router for home internet solution. I can't use my ToT or 3BB at home or office because they won't bring it out to us and no wifi sites around - many people even close to major cities like us are still waiting for cable even if the cell companies have run 6 and built towers and pay a kickback to the likes of ToT in order to do so - they can do it - but ToT can't - how completely worthless is that - they say no one here can afford internet yet we all pay 1000's a month to get connected with a fake solution, TiT thinking on the part of ToT.

It is 3G at home only - with great effort I get something close to a real home internet experience and use 14GB a month. Requires the use of two accounts so the one that is out of 3G can be used endless at low speed and save the 3G. If I had real internet I would use no 3G at all. Never wanted it in the first place - but still waiting for the line ToT said we would have 15 years ago and never came.

This is my worst favorite subject.

IpStar is the worst thing you can do - 2g dtac 399 a month un limited will beat its pants off if you can live with 128k or use it as a back up to save 3g sim card - get two accounts.

• Like 1

do you have the 4G sim in or just the 3G sim?

You would be surprised how fast you can upload data on 4G... as such, tend to load/ see more, and then hit your limit quick.

another thing , i use iPhone, check your settings..... iPhone have alot of back ground data usage if you don't turn them off. you can easily do a google to find our how to reduce iPhones poling the web.

I was told when I joined TrueMove that the 5 Gb limit was for downloads ONLY. That was why I asked the question.

Should have reaffirmed, that it does not include uploads?

They probably thought that you meant for internet only but not for things like SMS and phone calls :P

IpStar is quite expensive and the speed is slow. One has to pay almost 2800 baht per month for a 1 Mb/s (download) / 512 kbps (upload) Internet connection, and depending on weather conditions (amongst other parameters), it could be much less than those maximum speeds. But there is no cap in the Internet usage (unlimited traffic), that's the only real advantage.

I'll look into Wi-net, but I'm pretty isolated. No telephone in the nearest village.

I'll look into Wi-net, but I'm pretty isolated. No telephone in the nearest village.

You might be lucky if you are located not too far from one of their towers (antenna). You don't need any landline for TOT Wi-net.

More info in English about this service here (for instance): http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/559678-please-explain-wifi-internet-offered-by-tot-and-other-providers/

And more info in Thai (with several pictures): http://www.overclockzone.com/forums/showthread.php/1197169-TOT-WiFi-Wi-Net-%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81-TOT

Edited by GuyL