Last time you visited the beach

N47HAN

Those jellyfish you filmed look fairly small Joe. You put a finger close at one stage. Were they as small as they seemed?

With the size, and the four tentacles at the corners, I think it is more likely they are Irukandgji jellyfish not the normal, larger box jellyfish which has a lot more tentacles.

Still very venomous and several deaths have been attributed to them.

They net the swimming beaches in Queensland daily for the small type you mentioned, they were only recently discovered

They are thumb nail size and the sting from them paralizes the lungs and you cannot breath and drown if in the water

If they catch one the beach is closed for 3 days

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Irukandji Syndrome had been documented for many years without the medical people knowing the exact cause. It was named after an aboriginal tribe in the Cairns area.

My daughter was stung over 20 years ago in the Northern Territory. Just a small sting but within maybe 5-6 minutes her legs became paralysed (we were on the way to the hospital by then). She was skinny kid of 10 years old and I was in the water right next to her.

She said she had been stung but there was no real pain at the time. She sat on the beach with her Mum but it became obvious she was not well very quickly.

At the hospital she was washed down with vinegar and she was wrapped in those foil like space blankets as she was shivering uncontrollably. They also gave her 5 or 6 injections of pain killers - valium I think. The nurse knew exactly what had happened but would not tell us until the doctor arrived.There was no antivenene available back then, not sure if there is these days.

After an hour or so she was ok.

A very scary experience, and this was at a beach with lifeguards who had dragged the beach and reported only some sea lice. Turns out sea lice can be broken off tentacles that can still sting.

The only mark she had was a comma shaped mark maybe 5 or 6mm long on her chest.

Never ever swim in calm tropical waters close to the shore as the wet season approaches. We would swim in the rough water with never a problem.(apart from crocs and sharks, but you have a chance of seeing those at least!!)

• Like 2

When I lived in Hong Kong I would come to Thailand roughly once a year with friends and spend a fortnight or so on a beach.

Since moving here 5 years ago I've only been to a beach once and that was only because my sister and her family rented a house in Phuket for Xmas so I went to join them.

I'd like to go more often but have no-one to go with.

Have spent most of my life living on or close to beaches, plus working offshore.

Find I am happy living in BKK and Isaan far from the sea.

Get down to Jomtien once or twice a year to visit wifey's uncle and spend an afternoon on the beach eating crab and that's enough for me these days.

The beaches are nice here,but in the monsoon season people are drowning all the time, and in the dry season

you have to worry about being stung by jellyfish, i have been stung swimming on the beach but not by a box jellyfish

All the resort hotels have there own swimming pools some very large, and most tourists use them and just sunbath

on the beach, most expats i know have there own swimming pools and only walk on the beach for exercise

People who have businesses here involvling the sea do not want it commonly known there are box jellyfish in the ocean

The beaches are nice here,but in the monsoon season people are drowning all the time, and in the dry season

you have to worry about being stung by jellyfish, i have been stung swimming on the beach but not by a box jellyfish

All the resort hotels have there own swimming pools some very large, and most tourists use them and just sunbath

on the beach, most expats i know have there own swimming pools and only walk on the beach for exercise

People who have businesses here involvling the sea do not want it commonly known there are box jellyfish in the ocean

Sure, if that is what you want to believe, please do so.

This thread is about 'how often do you visit the beach', not about your paranoia.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

At least a couple times a week, but I am walking distance to 3 beaches.

Box jelly stings are pretty rare here. Here are two videos I took earlier this year of box jellies on Kata Beach. I actually saw 3 in the span of a couple months. March/April.

Huh, when in my younger age I used to swim at Kata Beach from one end to another and back twice weekly. That time I did not even know there was anything like a Box jellyfish in the sea.

Btw, great filming. How is it possible to spot this creature in daylight. Nowadays I usually swim at Nai Harn from November / December - March /April and sometimes I spot some jelly fish but never seen a Box Jelly, but then again not sure what to look for except the Box form. Do it have a colour or just "see through" body?

I wonder if dive businesses here supply you with a full body wetsuite like they do in the tropical waters

in Australia to protect you from jellyfish stings ??

No. Typically only shorties. It's not a common problem here. 12+ years and 1500+ dives in Thailand (Andaman Sea) and I have never had a memorable sting. Over that time I recall treating only handful of people with vinegar. No serious symptoms developed, just localized pain, redness, and swelling.

Edited by NomadJoe

At least a couple times a week, but I am walking distance to 3 beaches.

Box jelly stings are pretty rare here. Here are two videos I took earlier this year of box jellies on Kata Beach. I actually saw 3 in the span of a couple months. March/April.

Huh, when in my younger age I used to swim at Kata Beach from one end to another and back twice weekly. That time I did not even know there was anything like a Box jellyfish in the sea.

Btw, great filming. How is it possible to spot this creature in daylight. Nowadays I usually swim at Nai Harn from November / December - March /April and sometimes I spot some jelly fish but never seen a Box Jelly, but then again not sure what to look for except the Box form. Do it have a colour or just "see through" body?

I probably should have said that several marine biologists and jellyfish experts, both in and out of Thailand, confirmed these are box jellyfish, however they each told is not possible to determine lethality of the species. Some species of box jelly's are only as venomous as other common jellyfish. They are very hard to spot in the daytime, but at night the light right up when you hit it with a torch. All three I spotted were on night dives, 30-50m from shore, 3-7m depth.

When you have a 4 year old daughter "Daddy - ao pai thee-ao thalay" is a constant refrain, so at least 2 times a year.

Unfortunately Thai beaches (seashore beaches) are about 550k away, unless I were to go east thru' Laos into Vietnam; now there's a thought - must do some further travel research!

A year ago.

I do not live in Thailand. I live 1000 miles away from the sea, and even farther from the ocean. It is special for me to see the ocean/sea. If I never visited to SE Asia, then I would have only seen the ocean/sea 4 times.

A year ago at night to watch the firework competition.

But in daylight..... what for?

Wife won't go out in the sun and why would I want to sit there being bothered by flies, fruit-sellers, massage ladies, manicurists, DVD sellers, 2 day old fried shrimp sellers, donut sellers, charity collectors and someone who was in the boy scouts or the SAS.

Tried a quieter beach out of town and someone with a cart and a grudge scratched up my truck and I ended up in an argument with a deck-chair renter over a 200baht charge, right under a sign in English saying 30 baht!

I sit by my pool in peace with a cold one!

• Like 2

I moved to Phuket with my wife and son (now 19 months old) from The Philippines so we could spend more time outside in fresh air; going to beaches etc.

We go almost every weekend. Usually at least once during the week too. His naps coincide with the sun being at its strongest so we frequently go to a beach in the morning, home for lunch / nap time and then another in the afternoon!

We've only been in Phuket since August so wonder if we'll stop going as much?