Five foreigners involved in drug trafficking extradited from Thailand

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunter, who served in the US Naval Special Warfare Development Group or SEAL led a big network of drug trafficking that operated in Thailand, Myanmar, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the Philippines.

Hunter had finished offering their product to 6 ASEAN countries above but had not to others like Brunei, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia...

It would be big money if they were able to offer to Hassal Bolkiah of Brunei..

If I were a DEA agent, then I would be taking a very keen interest in someone who would be stupid enough to "publicly" state (on this forum), that they were privy to the details of Mr. Hunter & Associates alleged business dealings. Duh, whistling.gif

If these guys were that big an operation they have money stashed around the world. They will get some fat cat lawyer who will plead their case. The US is reviewing the draconian drug sentencing guidelines and they will be out on the street in 3-5 years with good behavior. In America you get the justice you can afford and these guys will be back on the street before too long.

When they arrive in USA there will FAT lady singing for them. Hope they bring a lot of Vaseline with them, because the folks in American prisons are a lot bigger then thai prisoners

Just how would you know? Are you some sort of prison penis size expert?

Odd hobby! I'd recommend taking up fishing instead.....

laugh.pngclap2.gif

They don't call it the penal system for nothing you know?

There goes another elementary school drop-out, duh!

America arrests anyone they want who they feel is a threat to their security. Besides the Mexican drug cartels, they have been targeting individuals involved in the trade. Anyone exporting quantities of narcotics to their ome country is a wanted man. If they are doing it to countries other than their own it is up to that country to take action, by advising Interpol and local police forces in adjecent countries.

Passports were confiscated 36 years ago in a foreign country to prevent flight, but nothing more was done.

No deportation to home country. Took flight by taxi 100 kms away to Anjuna, from Colva Beach, with a pre arranged taxi, to avoid the 24 hour police prescence in front of the house and heard nothing more, Then necessity did really become the mother of invention, 2 passportless, in a foreign country, spending many years there, thereafter. So the story goes.

It's probably a case of handing over whoever the US asks for.

Lol. Or maybe just simple compliance with an existing extradition agreement...

So why didn't the US government extradite Mr. Shinawatha Thaksin back to Thailand, also in compliance with the same existing Treaty? whistling.gif

I know it was discussed in connection with a CSCE meeting Thaksin was requested to attend back in Dec 2010, but did the thai government ever actually issue a formal extradition request for him? (Even if they had, 'don't know which crimes the extradition treaty between Thailand and the US does and doesn't cover.) Kind of a reach to compare the extradition of drug gang members with the TS situation, isn't it?

I don't think congratulations are in order just yet.. nobody has been convicted and we don't really know the true motive for this incredibly quick extradition.

I'd think that the chances or a fair trial are marginally higher in the USA than in Thailand, It's fairly obvious that none of these people have committed any serious offence in Thailand or they would have to serve some time in Thailand. It's probably a case of handing over whoever the US asks for.

Absolutely correct clap2.gif

Beside murderers, drug dealers get the most respect in prisons worldwide. Some of the activities that some of the poster suggest should happen to them won't. They are a valuable commodity in the Penal System. They will be protected from the moment the walk in and not from people paid on the outside for protection.

People who run the joint will see that they are well looked after.

I don't think congratulations are in order just yet.. nobody has been convicted and we don't really know the true motive for this incredibly quick extradition.

I'd think that the chances or a fair trial are marginally higher in the USA than in Thailand, It's fairly obvious that none of these people have committed any serious offence in Thailand or they would have to serve some time in Thailand. It's probably a case of handing over whoever the US asks for.

Absolutely correct clap2.gif

Hmmmmm, nicked gun toting farangs are still walking the streets of LOS sad.png . Better some go home to face stuff where cash does not come into the equation eh. thumbsup.gif

Good to see. As someone who works in this industry, on the other side, its good to see a big player like this guy get what's coming. I just hope there isn't a lot of plea bargaining, and they all get put away for a long time, as the dealers never really get to see the damage they do to customers and their families.

And why wouldn't they? They deal with their customers regularly, see them on a regular basis maybe family members also and are probably causal users themselves. They know exactly.

It's probably a case of handing over whoever the US asks for.

Lol. Or maybe just simple compliance with an existing extradition agreement...

So why didn't the US government extradite Mr. Shinawatha Thaksin back to Thailand, also in compliance with the same existing Treaty? whistling.gif

I know it was discussed in connection with a CSCE meeting Thaksin was requested to attend back in Dec 2010, but did the thai government ever actually issue a formal extradition request for him? (Even if they had, 'don't know which crimes the extradition treaty between Thailand and the US does and doesn't cover.) Kind of a reach to compare the extradition of drug gang members with the TS situation, isn't it?

No stretch at all. Criminal charges are criminal charges. TS was charged and indicted by a Thai court, for several felonies, including treason. Check the facts, before coming to this forum with those typical "know-it-all" farang opinions.whistling.gif

This is just wrong.

The DEA got Alex and Scott. Almost unbelievable.

From previous news stories, the DEA set up a sting operation in Phuket, allegedly to induce these guys to plan a crime, which they could not likely commit (i.e., the killing of a DEA agent.) As you may recall, the American DEA swooped down on Phuket and grabbed an American, one Mr. Joseph Manuel Hunter, see this news link - -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2433621/Joseph-Manuel-Hunter-Drug-lord-arrested-Thailand-police-bust-major-trafficking-ring-Southeast-Asia.html

Quoting from the above article - -

"Mr. Hunter's alleged accomplices were to remain in police custody in Thailand until the DEA files a request for extradition, Mr. Somyot said. U.S. Embassy spokesman Walter Braunohler in Bangkok declined to comment on the case and referred questions to the DEA in Washington. A DEA spokesperson didn't immediately return a telephone call seeking additional information"

Then, today, this story says that they have all been extradited to the USA - -

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/american-drug-lord-accomplices-deported-us-today/

Of the entire group, I personally knew two of them, Scott Stammers, who I knew mostly by association with his friends, but then there was the “Big-Guy”, “A-Man”, “The Slovakian”, “Alex”.

Alex was my friend.

Why did this happen? Why did the DEA go offshore to arrest a Slovakian in Thailand? First Viktor Bout the Russian, and now Alex the Slovakian.

This is just wrong. Alex was a hero. Alex was a good guy. Alex played by the rules. When the Nigerians brought in righteous product to Soi 3, everybody got a cut. When the Lumpini (and Thonglor) Brown Shirts wanted payday, the cash was delivered. When the DEA’s local puppets, the NSBs, (Narcotic Suppression Bureau) wanted to bring order to chaos in the Nana area, Alex did his part. Alex was a team player. (and Alex played on lots of teams)

Alex is part of local folklore and legend. When Lars the Norwegian and the Outlaws MC got out of control at Bully’s Pub, who straightened it out? Alex. When the NSBs wanted “show” arrests of non-compliant Nigerians, who arranged it? Alex. When the Local Brown Shirts wanted their cut of the trade from the more complaint groups of Nigerians, who arranged it? Alex.

Buying and selling products, and offering protection are all normal economic activities. Drug users are just like beer users and tobacco users. Drug users like the way it makes them feel. Beer users like their beer, it’s all the same. At least it’s not a scam. With drugs, a real product is manufactured, it’s bought, and sold, and consumed, and it’s a tidy little business. The economic wheel turns, and every body is happy.

Why is the drug business, in Thailand, as allegedly aided by Alex and his many friends, of any concern to the USA? What gives the USA the right to order the arrest and then the extradition of Alex?

Alex has never even been to America. How does a Slovakian break an American law in Thailand? What right does the USA have to enforce its drug laws, or any of its laws, internationally, worldwide? Why is the USA the World’s Police Officer? Why does Thailand, or any other country, allow its police and military to be controlled by the USA’s Police?

And it’s not as if Alex wasn’t green lighted by the Americans. (Oh yes, here comes the good part.) The American FBI, (one black agent, and one white agent), paid a visit on Alex in 2008. Scott Stammers and I witnessed the meeting in the little restaurant on the ground floor at NanaTai Mansion/Hotel near the Tobacco Monopoly on Suk Soi 4. The agreement? As long as Alex stayed out of the international arms trade, then the FBI didn’t care what else Alex did.

I guess you can’t trust a handshake from a DHS/ICE/FBI Agent, now can you? Alex was further green lighted by the Local NSBs when he went to work for them in the Nana area. Again, a deal is a deal. In fact, later that year, (2008) when Alex and Scott Stammers were doing cross-border work between Thailand and Cambodia, Agent Gary Phillips, (DHS/ICE, now on a career-path “time-out” in Blaine, WA) Agent Phillips, through an intermediary, tried to lure Scott and Alex into a gun-buy deal. Alex didn’t fall for it, and everyone thought that was finally the end of America’s attempts at entrapment.

What about the rest of us foreigners who live here? I’m not an American, so how can I know every American law? Maybe I’m breaking some American law right now, and I don’t even know it.

How can I ignore all of the previous “Green Lights”, and the many suspicious interconnections? Simon Wagstaff had both Scott and Alex on his payroll at various times for air cargo security work. Simon had a contract with the USA’s Department of State, and there was lots of cosiness between Alex and some of the plain-clothes security guys who ran the U.S. Embassy’s security detail. All one big happy family, until they turn on you.

This entire Phuket entrapment operation stinks a wee tad. For example, if you know the Viktor Bout story, Viktor was big buddies with the American CIA, but when America finally rolled over on him, the DEA set up the fake Columbian-Narco terrorist deal. Sound familiar? Alex had the international “OK” from DHS-FBI-ICE, but when it came time to do him, the DEA invented a non-existent crime, namely the “hit-man” scam in Phuket.

You simply can’t trust American police.

• Like 1

When they arrive in USA there will FAT lady singing for them. Hope they bring a lot of Vaseline with them, because the folks in American prisons are a lot bigger then thai prisoners

Always fascinating to observe the obsession many TV members has in the gay sexual practises in prisons around the world laugh.png !!!

Shouldn't the first sentence read Trial, not Punishment?

Or has Thai style justice gone global?

Also, these people ain't been proved guilty, yet, but Thailand never tries to extradite its convicted crims from abroad.

Double standards, anyone?

Edited by Soi Sauce

Good to see. As someone who works in this industry, on the other side, its good to see a big player like this guy get what's coming. I just hope there isn't a lot of plea bargaining, and they all get put away for a long time, as the dealers never really get to see the damage they do to customers and their families.

Don't forget the damage done to the customers is self inflicted and it is they who damage their families. You'd have to have been living under a rock to not know that if you start using hard drugs you've got a very good chance of your life falling apart. Each sale of meth, heroin etc should come with a big rubber stamp so that the word "STUPID" can be stamped on the person's forehead.

Addiction to either drugs or alcohol (the most widely abused I may add) is sentence enough without the "Scarlet Letter" being affixed to the poor soul. If we were to "stamp" a description of our life's transgressions, I think most of us would have one message or another on our foreheads. My stamp would read like a novel. Edited by Benmart
  • Like 2

"Hunter, who served in the US Naval Special Warfare Development Group or SEAL........."

In the earlier reports after his arrest in september,he was an US Army veteran with sniper training and now suddenly he`s a Navy SEAL ?? A BIG difference

Is it possible that FBI, DEA,or CIA had a few things messed up? I recall that Mr. Hunter was hunted because an undercover cop was trying to hire him to kill somebody.

Then send them to a camp in the desert, without seeing a lawyer. Would be great to know why it is as it.is. Why didn't they arrest Thaksin, when in Laos?

That all sounds like an episode of "Breaking Bad" to me. Guess we all know how trustworthy these guys are.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

The us prison will be A piece of cake for the ex navy seal.He will be going to a FCI.Most of them are like country clubs.Some have indoor swimming pools,miniature golf courses,some of them inmates have keys to their ROOMS,that's right not cells.How do I know this?From Experience.

Good on the authorities firstly arresting these guys and secondly extraditing them.

Sad not to see some more words of thanks to the police for this work, i suppose its much easier to bitch and moan about the police than give credit where its due.

Thank you, keep up the good work, even if it is sporadic.

The good work is not sporadic. It's PAID for. Period!

This is just wrong.

From previous news stories, the DEA set up a sting operation in Phuket, allegedly to induce these guys to plan a crime, which they could not likely commit (i.e., the killing of a DEA agent.) As you may recall, the American DEA swooped down on Phuket and grabbed an American, one Mr. Joseph Manuel Hunter, see this news link - -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2433621/Joseph-Manuel-Hunter-Drug-lord-arrested-Thailand-police-bust-major-trafficking-ring-Southeast-Asia.html

"Mr. Hunter's alleged accomplices were to remain in police custody in Thailand until the DEA files a request for extradition, Mr. Somyot said. U.S. Embassy spokesman Walter Braunohler in Bangkok declined to comment on the case and referred questions to the DEA in Washington. A DEA spokesperson didn't immediately return a telephone call seeking additional information"

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/american-drug-lord-accomplices-deported-us-today/

Of the entire group, I personally knew two of them, Scott Stammers, who I knew mostly by association with his friends, but then there was the “Big-Guy”, “A-Man”, “The Slovakian”, “Alex”.

Alex was my friend.

Why did this happen? Why did the DEA go offshore to arrest a Slovakian in Thailand? First Viktor Bout the Russian, and now Alex the Slovakian.

This is just wrong. Alex was a hero. Alex was a good guy. Alex played by the rules. When the Nigerians brought in righteous product to Soi 3, everybody got a cut. When the Lumpini (and Thonglor) Brown Shirts wanted payday, the cash was delivered. When the DEA’s local puppets, the NSBs, (Narcotic Suppression Bureau) wanted to bring order to chaos in the Nana area, Alex did his part. Alex was a team player. (and Alex played on lots of teams)

Alex is part of local folklore and legend. When Lars the Norwegian and the Outlaws MC got out of control at Bully’s Pub, who straightened it out? Alex. When the NSBs wanted “show” arrests of non-compliant Nigerians, who arranged it? Alex. When the Local Brown Shirts wanted their cut of the trade from the more complaint groups of Nigerians, who arranged it? Alex.

Buying and selling products, and offering protection are all normal economic activities. Drug users are just like beer users and tobacco users. Drug users like the way it makes them feel. Beer users like their beer, it’s all the same. At least it’s not a scam. With drugs, a real product is manufactured, it’s bought, and sold, and consumed, and it’s a tidy little business. The economic wheel turns, and every body is happy.

Why is the drug business, in Thailand, as allegedly aided by Alex and his many friends, of any concern to the USA? What gives the USA the right to order the arrest and then the extradition of Alex?

Alex has never even been to America. How does a Slovakian break an American law in Thailand? What right does the USA have to enforce its drug laws, or any of its laws, internationally, worldwide? Why is the USA the World’s Police Officer? Why does Thailand, or any other country, allow its police and military to be controlled by the USA’s Police?

And it’s not as if Alex wasn’t green lighted by the Americans. (Oh yes, here comes the good part.) The American FBI, (one black agent, and one white agent), paid a visit on Alex in 2008. Scott Stammers and I witnessed the meeting in the little restaurant on the ground floor at NanaTai Mansion/Hotel near the Tobacco Monopoly on Suk Soi 4. The agreement? As long as Alex stayed out of the international arms trade, then the FBI didn’t care what else Alex did.

I guess you can’t trust a handshake from a DHS/ICE/FBI Agent, now can you? Alex was further green lighted by the Local NSBs when he went to work for them in the Nana area. Again, a deal is a deal. In fact, later that year, (2008) when Alex and Scott Stammers were doing cross-border work between Thailand and Cambodia, Agent Gary Phillips, (DHS/ICE, now on a career-path “time-out” in Blaine, WA) Agent Phillips, through an intermediary, tried to lure Scott and Alex into a gun-buy deal. Alex didn’t fall for it, and everyone thought that was finally the end of America’s attempts at entrapment.

What about the rest of us foreigners who live here? I’m not an American, so how can I know every American law? Maybe I’m breaking some American law right now, and I don’t even know it.

How can I ignore all of the previous “Green Lights”, and the many suspicious interconnections? Simon Wagstaff had both Scott and Alex on his payroll at various times for air cargo security work. Simon had a contract with the USA’s Department of State, and there was lots of cosiness between Alex and some of the plain-clothes security guys who ran the U.S. Embassy’s security detail. All one big happy family, until they turn on you.

This entire Phuket entrapment operation stinks a wee tad. For example, if you know the Viktor Bout story, Viktor was big buddies with the American CIA, but when America finally rolled over on him, the DEA set up the fake Columbian-Narco terrorist deal. Sound familiar? Alex had the international “OK” from DHS-FBI-ICE, but when it came time to do him, the DEA invented a non-existent crime, namely the “hit-man” scam in Phuket.

Wow. What a story. Whether it's true or not, who knows, but I enjoyed reading it. Outstanding post.

• Like 1

This is just wrong.

Alex was my friend.

Wow. What a story. Whether it's true or not, who knows, but I enjoyed reading it. Outstanding post.

As you say it's quite a story but why would anyone not trust the guardians of American security...... almost 50 years to the day that JFK was blown away?

• Like 1

Beside murderers, drug dealers get the most respect in prisons worldwide. Some of the activities that some of the poster suggest should happen to them won't. They are a valuable commodity in the Penal System. They will be protected from the moment the walk in and not from people paid on the outside for protection.

People who run the joint will see that they are well looked after.

The problems are that these criminals become so powerful that the other prison inmates will show them a lot of respect and give them a wide berth mostly out of fear, considering that they may have many contacts, both on the inside and on the outside and would snuff out a human life like an insect without hesitation. For some of these scum being in prison is like placing them into their natural environment.

Very scary these people.

Presume this is the same guy...

"

Scott Stammers General Manager ASA (Thailand) Limited

Scott Stammers covers flight and security operations in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos, whilst providing additional support to Hong Kong, Macau and other areas when needed.Scott has lived in the Philippines and Hong Kong, and has 18-years working experience for some of the Asia's top security operators."
Whatever else has happened here its pretty obvious that a full extradition process has not taken place. Beats me how the same people who complain about corruption and failure to observe the rule of law in Thailand are also those who applaud this rush to judgement.
Edited by roamer

You should actually read the article before commenting on it. None of the prisoners are Thai .... and it's unlikely anyone is going to rape the SEAL.

GOOD RIDDANCE to the SCUM BAGS.

Put them where they belong.

FOR A LONG TIME.

Pity they could not be tried in China.

That would be the end of them then.

No time for crims that sell drugs and ruin the lives of people, especially the young.

What about the people who sell alcohol? Way way more people's lives are ruined by alcohol than any other drug.

• Like 1