What is currently the best (cheapest!) way from Phnom Penh airport to the city centre?

sellingmystuff

Maybe I'm getting old, why take a moto? $9 for a taxi is too much? Give the driver $10, he will welcome the $1 tip. I've lived here years, motos are for the young, adventurous (stupid) or those who can't afford an extra few dollars, sad if you can't....

See the National Museum, Toul Sleng, Choueng Ek (Killing fields) and a boat trip down the Tonle Sap. That said, if you're looking for the cheapest way into town, will you be able to afford any of these?bah.gif

Yes you are getting old because you seem to just be throwing around money and abusing those who want to save a few bucks (what's wrong with that anyway?) If the price is US$9, you pay that for the ticket before even getting into the cab, no need to tip or anything - Cambodia isn't America. It's US$12 now for most destinations in the city and possibly US$15 to destinations further afield, such as in the southern part of the city.

But there's nothing wrong with taking a motorcycle taxi or tuk-tuk, especially if there's not much luggage.

Then again if you want maximum convenience, independence and don't care about saving anything, AVIS operates self-drive rental cars from the airport or if you're already in town, they also have an office there.

Are you always this quick off the mark? I'm certainly older than when I wrote my original comment. There is a considerable difference between throwing money around and being generous to those less fortunate.I guess you are American given your comments about the US, you have to be right of course as your country thinks it is about everything.

Indeed, Cambodia isn't America - thankfully some would say. Another lecture from a citizen of the land of the free, as long as you're white that is.

Not sure I agree when you factor in thefts. Things get snatched from tuk-tuks by thieves on motos so I'd be wary of travelling in one with luggage etc, esp. at night.

True still have to be careful in Tuk Tuk, Motor can come along side and be off with a small bag or phone from your hand.

Walking is a nono.

Motor taxi outside gates is cheapest option if little luggage but maybe not the safest option

Walking outside the gate takes about 2-3 minutes, Tuk Tuks reportedly cheaper but a lot try to charge same as Tuk Tuk inside especially at peak traffic times, refuse to budge on price.

Tuk Tuk from airport to Riverside was $8 last month was $7 for ages. Taxi $9.

Maybe you could meet someone to share with.

Cheapest isn't always the best

Just paid $7 from inside the gate. It was laughable when man in window kiosk gave me a slip for $12 for run to 172. Ha! I walked away and took the same tuk tuk for $7 cash.

The rush hour run was an hour, filled with strikingly stupid traffic. Gave the guy a $2 tip.

Worst ever PP traffic.

Will never take Air Asia again due to rush hour arrival. Same on return to BKK. It's Bangkok Air next time.

• Like 1

It's 1500 riel, need exact change. I took the Monivong route on a lark one day last month. They use second-hand Korean buses. Decent air con and comfort OK. Never thought of catching it from the airport area. But you wouldn't want to leave the airport at rush hour. It would be 1.5 hours downtown probably.

if ur bothering about an extra $ or 2 perhaps stay home

Bangkok will cost ya from both airports to soi 4 area $10-12,

same price as PP an most likely same time traveling although half the distance

NOW compare what we are forced to pay here in Phuket sad.png

750 baht from the airport to Patong for 32 kms

Richard, this is about PP and I am also sure that the OP has enough funds to come to Cambodia since he is asking a question to that effect.

It is also not wrong to save money and thereby have more flexibility on how and where you spend your funds. Now we have online here a nice piece of information how one can get for approx. 38 cents USD to the city center. That is good news. The only thing we still need to know is when the busses start and stop running.

By the way, the nice airport train combined with MRT and BTS will get you downtown BKK for much less than 10 USD. The transport system runs, I think, from 6 AM to midnite or a bit later. For the night hours taxis from the departure level are a good and inexpensive option (again much less than 10 USD).

• Like 1

Richard, I m sure you take the taxi and relax or you arrive in your own car overland.

The question was 'what is the cheapest way?'. Not if someone cannot afford his trip to Cambodia or what the prices in BKK or Phuket are. This matters are far off topic.

The options in PP are motorbike, which is fast and a bit cheaper but very dangerous in terms of accidents and risk of being robbed; tuktuk, USD 7 but sitting in the heat and fumes; a taxi, more expensive. These options vary somewhat according to where you pick your transport, i.e. at the terminal or outside the airport compound.

Now we know that we can have a USD 0.38 transfer to downtown in the municipal aircon bus. This not a perfect solution as one needs to get to the road, short walk, and to wait in the heat, and the busses are probably not the fanciest. However, once on the bus there is aircon and no fumes plus the bus get stucks or does not get stuck in the same traffic like the taxis and tuktuks. Moreover, no need to haggle about the price. In sum, for many this might probably be a useful, inexpensive, and common sense solution as it reduces traffic, fuel consumption, and air pollution.

Let me add that for those going to Sihanoukville the best way would be to get transport like above but in the opposite direction (= south or left hand when leaving) to the round about. At the roundabout are sales points run by the bus companies operating services to SHV. Going to the roundabout will save you a bit of money and, perhaps more importantly, it will cut your trip to SHV easily by 1.5 - 2 hrs or even more.

From the above one can figure that I do like the BKK airport link and connections to MRT and BTS. Really no need to pay extra for the privilege of haggling with taxi drivers or sitting in traffic after 20 hrs on the road. ;)

mike;

Just comparing the two cities for costs.. PP is NOT expensive for transport

ever tired doing the train/ sky train with luggage?

and after a 10-16 hour flight?? NO thanks

Yep, no problem. On the train downtown, you know you're going to get there without a hassle -- as in having to lay down the law like I had to last time in a BKK taxi. He took for me a long ride to On Nut BTS, over 200 baht, plus 2 tolls and taxi service charge. Also now it's a DIY machine ticket at Swampy but don't have anyone to write the destination in Thai. Great, a 50 baht charge to the passenger to punch a machine button.

Anyway, I just may try the PP bus next time since it runs right into the centre. I found it quite comfortable on my test run. But you wouldn't want to do it with 2-3 bags of luggage. Although chicken cages are allowed, so why not?

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

not to argue;

but have been taking taxi from the airport to lower sukumvit for over 30 years.

not once have i had any trouble .

only thing i tell them is use the expressway

as to PP

i prefer air con comfort during rush hour when the air asia flight arrives.

worth an extra few $$

To each their own,

OP did ask for cheapest ( which would be slowest as well) so guess the bus wins

But then Best ( which is safest) would be taxi :-)