3BB Promotion Fiber to the Home 30 Mb

nivram4491

I got a call from 3BB regarding their promotion for FTTx at 1200 Baht per month for 30M/3M. I am on the 900 Baht per month plan at the moment with fairly consistent speeds of 12-15M/.6-.8M. I have used it for almost 2 years with no problems.

I was very surprised at the promotion call because I didn't think fiber would be available where I live (between Hang Dong and Chiang Mai) for a long time. I haven't checked yet if fiber is really available at my location.

What does it really mean? Is it actually fiber into the home? Is there any increase in international speeds with this plan?

I would really value comments from anyone using this service. The step up from 900 to 1200 Baht is not great but I would expect a faster stable system. If the speeds are only fast sometimes and not faster for international data I prefer to stay with what I currently have.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just signed up for the 3BB fibre package yesterday after being totally fed up with Truelly awefuls docsis 2 and docsis 3 service in On Nut for the past 9 months.

Tired of wasting money phoning True and still going days on end with totally crap internet - no international connection, 600msec pings to the USA, download speeds of 1Mb and reassurances by True staff that they consider that adequate.

Ran into the usual 3BB obstacle of "If in your (farang) name must pay one year in advance".

Sent a written complaint to the NBTC along with a copy of the Thai constitution highlighting part 2, section 30 that forbids discrimination and suddenly the requirement was changed to paying one month in advance and bt2,000 deposit for the router. Needed to supply a copy if passport, house lease and WP.

Should be installed in a few days and then Truelly terrible can come and take their equipment away. Need to sort out the TV, but will be glad to be rid of the truelly aweful internet (hopefully) once and for all.

Will let you know how I find the speed in a week's time.

Where exactly in Hang Dong District is there new fiber optics 3BB service?

Heading south on the Irrigation Canal Road (Route 121), the Hang Dong District boundary begins at Yummy Pizza, Night Safari, etc.

I'm unable to reach 3BB by phone, but I'm eager to know how far south these fiber optics lines are being strung. Please advise.

Heading south on the Irrigation Canal Road (Route 121), the Hang Dong District boundary begins at Yummy Pizza, Night Safari, etc.

I'm unable to reach 3BB by phone, but I'm eager to know how far south these fiber optics lines are being strung. Please advise.

Call into a 3BB shop and they will show you the map of where it is available

• Like 1

I have the 3BB Fibre network over 3 months now. The speed is amazing compared to my prior package [15/1].

I consistently get 30 to 36 and 3 to 5

3BB asked me for 1 year in advance. I refused as this is not a 3BB requirement it's local management as they get a bonus on customers who stay with the program for 1 year. I did have to pay B3000. for the new router and first month of service.

• Like 1

I have the 3BB Fibre network over 3 months now. The speed is amazing compared to my prior package [15/1].

3BB asked me for 1 year in advance. I refused as this is not a 3BB requirement it's local management as they get a bonus on customers who stay with the program for 1 year. I did have to pay B3000. for the new router and first month of service.

Would you mind posting the international speed results with ping and what site? I would like to compare what I am getting.

Also, where are you located? I haven't seen the fiber optic near where I am living, but it may be.

Would you mind posting the international speed results with ping and what site? I would like to compare what I am getting.

Also, where are you located? I haven't seen the fiber optic near where I am living, but it may be.

I'm in Khon Kaen

Speedtest Seattle Washington.

6w8Yrie.png

• Like 2

I owned and operated a successful ISP for a number of years. What's advertised as 10M speeds is within the country. The choke point is always leaving the country. Fibre to the home is a good thing, speed being but one of the qualities and you're only as fast as the weakest link in the network (choke points). If you require better international service you need to specify this as most ISP can accommodate but at a much higher cost. In short read the fine Thai print (I'm joking).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

TeeKay you make a good point regarding the weakest link. Unfortunately, it's something we can not control.

But we can insure we get the best possible speed within our own network. For the most part, I'm a MAC guy.

I have a 2 year old Macbook Pro, a new iPad and a new Macbook Air. In addition, an Asus Transformer and a Samsung GS3.

The Asus has a max wifi speed of 65Mbps

Macbook Pro 300Mbps

GS3 150Mbps

Mac Air/ac & iPad/ac 1300Mbps

I do not use the 3BB router's wifi as I have a new Airport Extreme AC router.

I use the gigabit port out of the 3BB router to my AP Extreme via a cat 7 cable. This gives me a maximum throughput of 1000Mbps

No matter what, the Asus will only recieve 65Mbps. I do get 300 on the Mac Pro and 760 - 863 on the MB Air and iPad.

TeeKay you make a good point regarding the weakest link. Unfortunately, it's something we can not control.

But we can insure we get the best possible speed within our own network. For the most part, I'm a MAC guy.

I have a 2 year old Macbook Pro, a new iPad and a new Macbook Air. In addition, an Asus Transformer and a Samsung GS3.

The Asus has a max wifi speed of 65Mbps

Macbook Pro 300Mbps

GS3 150Mbps

Mac Air/ac & iPad/ac 1300Mbps

I do not use the 3BB router's wifi as I have a new Airport Extreme AC router.

I use the gigabit port out of the 3BB router to my AP Extreme via a cat 7 cable. This gives me a maximum throughput of 1000Mbps

No matter what, the Asus will only recieve 65Mbps. I do get 300 on the Mac Pro and 760 - 863 on the MB Air and iPad.

It still keeps surprising me that it's so hard to stream a movie over WiFi. I download the movie in 10 - 20 minutes and over the WiFi I can't watch it in 2 hours. Using an Airport Extreme. When I connect with a cable no problem.

I just checked the 3bb website and the 1200 THB price is a promotion untill the 30th of November. Its 50% off their normall price. Do you guys know if this price will stay forever? Or is it just for several months? The 1200 THB price is really good but if they will change it to the 2400 THB normall price soon its not really worth it for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The best advice you can get about new technologies is: If it is NEW, then wait someone else use first. After a couple months, go question around your community and collect new answers, analysis and take your decision. There are nothing else you can do.

Just signed up for the 3BB fibre package yesterday after being totally fed up with Truelly awefuls docsis 2 and docsis 3 service in On Nut for the past 9 months.

Tired of wasting money phoning True and still going days on end with totally crap internet - no international connection, 600msec pings to the USA, download speeds of 1Mb and reassurances by True staff that they consider that adequate.

Ran into the usual 3BB obstacle of "If in your (farang) name must pay one year in advance".

Sent a written complaint to the NBTC along with a copy of the Thai constitution highlighting part 2, section 30 that forbids discrimination and suddenly the requirement was changed to paying one month in advance and bt2,000 deposit for the router. Needed to supply a copy if passport, house lease and WP.

Should be installed in a few days and then Truelly terrible can come and take their equipment away. Need to sort out the TV, but will be glad to be rid of the truelly aweful internet (hopefully) once and for all.

Will let you know how I find the speed in a week's time.

Remember to actually go and see True and cancel your internet contract. If you don't they will just keep racking up the bill and then send in the heavies to get all the back payments. I am with CAT which is fibre optic to my router. I would rate the service very good, apart from when they were doing an upgrade and then it was at best indifferent, at worst none existent for a couple of hours. bottle of whiskey every six months to the Manager works wonders and gives me a very personal service when there are problems.

I am paying quite a high price for True 16mb here in bkk. around 1600 i think.

What worries me abotu 3BB, arent these guys renting from True or Tot anyway? and are they consistently online and international is working?

I got True and pay only 723 a month. My speed around 24 down and 1.5 upload

I'm in Khon Kaen

Speedtest Seattle Washington.

6w8Yrie.png

Can you try getting an actual speedtest,from US, not the 3BB-Faked one above? (As you may notice, the results are actually from a local server, you cannae change the laws of physics...)

We are in the Chiang Mai Forum here and this topic is about a fibre optic offer from 3BB in Chiang Mai. Members who wish to inquire about Internet providers in other areas of Thailand (Pattaya, etc) will get better results if they post in their respective local forums on ThaiVisa.

I just came back from 3BB at Big C Hang Dong. I asked the ladies if fiber is available where I live and after a lot of checking they said yes. In fact it won't be available until the first of the new year. They say they have to check with Bangkok to confirm availability. I live in a mooban just off Hang Dong Road between Kad Farang and Chiang Mai.

They say that the promotion of 1200 Baht per month expires at the end of this month but all you have to do is express an interest before November 30 to get the promotion price. I asked how long the promotion price would last and they promised at least a year.

The cost involved is 2000 Baht for the modem and 1200 + 84 (tax) Baht for the first month.

I'm sorry I can't tell you the availability in the Canal Road area. The best thing to do is go into a 3BB shop to inquire. If you are not a 3BB customer already, the GPS coordinates of your house would probably help.

Do we really need anything over 10mbps? Im using the 3BB hotspot at the house which is 10mbps @ 99thb per month and streaming videos loads quickly and downloading from usenet is very fast.

I'm also using 3BB 10Mbb servvice. I watch TV and movies via the internet, and 10 UK channels to choose from. I've never had an interruption .

Watch a 2hr special Dr WHO last night. Can't complain!!!

Posters here who want to compare and evaluate the speed of their fiber or other internet services need to be careful about a couple of things:

Speedtest.net speed test results done inside Thailand for international connections are almost always FALSE... A good example is the member above who posted a supposed test to Seattle that showed a 25 ms ping, when in reality, the fastest ping you can physically get between Thailand and the U.S. is something like 200+ ms.

What the Speedtest.net site is really measuring is the speed and connection between you and your ISP's servers here in Thailand.

If you want accurate speed test results, there are a variety of sites that will provide them for Thailand to International connections. Here are a few:

http://testmy.net/download

http://208.78.10.73:1855/nlspeedtest/

http://mlb.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/index.html

If you're going to post speed test results, use sites that provide accurate results. And at least be clear whether the results you're posting are domestic (inside Thailand) or international (and if so, to where).

Fiber may provide increased speeds for connections inside Thailand.

But thus far through many months of posts, I've yet to see any reliable, clearly documented posts here by fiber customers from any of the various retail ISP providers that show meaningful international speed improvements for the added extra monthly cost.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2