Have You Quitted Booze?

Water Buffalo

Hi,

So, i have been drinking weekly for over 10 years (I'm 26) and i am starting to think i should stop, mostly because i want to get healthy, mentally and physically. That and i am absolutely sick of the hang overs and get no pleasure from being drunk at all anymore, but still love the taste of different types of alcohol.

But i am really not sure if i can. I would never consider myself addicted, but the though of never drinking again makes me feel a bit sad (from a social point of view).

I am just wondering what to expect. I would like to hear from other people who have done this and get an idea of how long it took them to be completely free, how hard they found it, and how their life is after. I suppose i am looking for some inspiration and to get an idea of what to expect.

Hope this can be a nice thread.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weekly?

I did it daily.

I stopped since 1st November. You don't need to don't drink anymore for the rest of your life. Just now, just this week and than the next.

But as you aren't addicted you can drink at the next special event (birthday for example). Or if you can (I can not) just drink 1 beer instead of 6.

• Like 2

I started drinking 30 years ago & I loved my wine and the odd night out with family and friends. I had a friend visit and frankly we were pigs :) I thought I was 26 again, I slept for 2 days and caught a bad air con cold about 6 weeks ago, after I was over the cold I grabbed a beer one evening and couldn't finish it.

I bought those girly coolers and decided to try one, same thing couldn't finish it.

I poured a nice single malt and dammit couldn't even take a second sip.

I wasn't a big drinker but the thought of having one isn't appealing at all - there was no withdrawl, I get tired some afternoons but I'm not sure it's alcohol related. I didnt decide to stop it just happened, I'm not making a big deal about just getting on with life.

Best of luck, I know I'll be drinking over the holidays & an upcoming trip to the UK afterwards who knows.

You are young that is a good thing. Best thing to do is stop all together. What happens if you go a weekend with no booze?

Try that out. Go to a movie instead. Staying home may not be a good thing but going toa movie and a coffee after is alright try that out.

If you can do that and feel not the worse for wear then you are ok.

I did not drink much when I cme here but did when I was your age in Canada. I first had to learn to live without. Then had to learn that i could get a nice scotch or sippin whiskey and just have one.

I quit drinking alcohol 38 years ago. Don't miss it. Saved a lot of money. Probably saved my life from driving and motorcycling. A glass of 7UP is just fine. Don't need alcohol to get down and dance or have fun.

Why did I quit? I watched a healthy strong young 18 year old drink himself to death in just 6 months. I was drinking a lot more than he was....

I don't preach against it, I just don't do it. It's up to the individual. I quit cold turkey and it did not bother me. Best and smartest thing I ever did in my life. If I can do it, anyone else can. Don't blame addiction or weak personality. You own brain is the most powerful asset you have.

• Like 2

I was never a drunk but I liked to get drunk. Enjoyed all the pleasures of it....still do...in my mind. I made a decision to quite when my first child was conceived and in the past year and a half have had one small beer. Found it quite easy to tell you the truth.

Feelings after ward are hard to describe. I still go out (drink soda water), still have fun (although the drunken party jokes do not seem so funny), still do some crazy shit (although the fear factor is higher now as before it was blunted by alcohol) which in its own sense is even more fun. Friends seem to accept it, other drunken farangs are mystified that someone would not drink, the Thais themselves don't care and if truth be known (I am happily married and never stray) finding women here while sober is easier. Many of my female co-workers (thai) do not drink and have seen what it has done with other family members, and would be more than happy to settle down with someone who was sober (or did not drink at all).

But up to you as they say. I have found it to be an excellent decision.

• Like 1

I drank quite a lot on a daily basis for years. Finally decided to quit so I quit. No support groups, counseling, tapering off, or any other BS. The only withdrawal sympton I suffered was mild boredom, but that passed when I found other ways to fill my time. I still drink occasionally, but now I drink in a month what I used to drink in a weekend.

Short answer: It's easier than you think.

• Like 1

I decided to quit quite accidentally. I was

feeling unfit for 4-5 years and made up my mind I had to get fit again to the level I was 20 years ago. Took to the gym, did some weights, got on the training bike, and I was hooked on cycling. So I took up road cycling, set myself some targets and was struggling to hit even the modest ones.

I read up extensively and realized I was drinking too much, not frequently but a couple nights a week. The problem was I couldn't stop at 2 or 3 beers. It was always till I felt really high and started doing silly things. But it was the after effects that killed my performance even after 2, 3 days. So I had to quit.

I lost my beer belly, overall fats was down to 11%, built up muscles, and after 6 months I was back to my weight when I was 25. I am 50 now.

Never felt better in my life, full of energy and eating healthily. The combination of daily 1-2 hours exercise and zero alcohol in the system do wonders to my overall being.

There is still pressure to drink at social gatherings, but after a while friends know to stop asking me to drink. Soda with a wedge of lemon is a good alternative to beer.

The OP should quit while young. You can save a fortune over 30 years, both in money not spent on alcohol and avoidance related health effects of drinking.

Good luck and persevere.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Purpose is Meaning...... once you have clearly understood the purpose booze has for you then dropping it becomes a minor formality.

I can do with or without.....is a nice place to be....don't make it a problem, just see the purpose it has in your life and eventually you outgrow it . Oh, as for 'hang-overs'...keep your poisons pure...quality over quantity.

Alcohol is a major factor in a host of health problems (especially depression) and causes so much suffering that so many people are in denial about.

Alcohol is a "coping-device" and nothing more, its not a cause....its a maladaptive solution for a non-exsistent problem.

I am surprised to read that a few people got rid of their drinking problem without medical assistance : good luck to them because it shows they were probably not alcohol addicts.

If consumption of alcohol is used on a long term as a (wrong) stress management then it can change the brain settings...the same way as "recreational" drugs...can do this....and then you can become an addict who probably needs medical assistance.

I am surprised to read that a few people got rid of their drinking problem without medical assistance : good luck to them because it shows they were probably not alcohol addicts.

If consumption of alcohol is used on a long term as a (wrong) stress management then it can change the brain settings...the same way as "recreational" drugs...can do this....and then you can become an addict who probably needs medical assistance.

I never had this idea I was addicted in all the years I have been drinking, I just enjoyed drinking with friends and the drunk feeling. At home I had never one drop of alcohol, I had this strong feeling that drinking alone at home was a very sad thing. The same goes for the cigarettes, smoked 43 years, sometimes in combination with the alcohol 2 packs a day, just enjoyed the smoke. When the doctor advised me strongly to stop, I just stopped, no side effects, no grumpy moods, just gained some weight.

This is one of the better threads that I've read in a long time.

I was binge drinking for many yrs whilst working in the corporate world and then hit the wall.

Now in the LOS I drink a few 'Light' beers if I go out sometimes. Sometimes I just drink soda.

there are some nights when I've had a hot hard day and I simply must have a beer. I dont think that makes me a bad person or is bad for my health. Each to their own

Started drinking early, 12 when I started. Military at 15 didn't help (Scot), abused it ever since. Have stopped on many occasion, have started again straight afterwards. Only in the past couple of days has my son started to tell me to stop drinking, some of what he Said almost broke my heart. I have a problem & I admit it freely. I only hope that one day I'll be able to control my urge.

• Like 1

Started drinking early, 12 when I started. Military at 15 didn't help (Scot), abused it ever since. Have stopped on many occasion, have started again straight afterwards. Only in the past couple of days has my son started to tell me to stop drinking, some of what he Said almost broke my heart. I have a problem & I admit it freely. I only hope that one day I'll be able to control my urge.

Please read the Big Book - Alcoholics Anonymous which is available on-line. It may be of help.

One Day at a Time.

There are a lot people who drink enormous amounts every day, but there body isn't or isn't much addicted. They can stop with little troubles, beside the craving for a drink.

While if you are really heavy addicted than there is not much choice than medial assistance.

The last 15 maybe 20 years I was every evening drunk, with light holes in my memory, like I cooked something and ate it, but can't remember it.

I just stopped without much problems. I have no real problem with alcohol, beside that I can't stop when I start. I can't keep some stock of beer at home and drink comfortable 1 beer at dinner. No way. But still I could complete stop without problems.

Drink responsibly

Responsible drinking is an option if one is not an alcoholic.

From my personal experience, alcoholics generally don't live their lives responsibility or moderately.

Alcoholism, much like cancer or diabetes is a disease according to medical science. It is extremely difficult to manage by "responsible" or "moderate" drinking, much as trying to be a "responsible" or "moderate" diabetic.

Hospitals, mental institutions, prisons and graveyards are full of people who thought and lived otherwise.

One Day at a Time and Good Luck My Friend.

• Like 1

I found for my self that it was a lonely social life after a while. People did not want me around. There were many nights I had nbo rememberancy of. I finally had to stop. It is a disease that can kill you with out you having to leave the bar. Also it affects the mental process and over a long period of time you can become unwanted.

I no longer drink as I found out I would not get drunk if I did not drink one beer. It is that simple time has nothing to do with it. I just stay away from one drink and my life and physical have improved. Plus I now have friends. I have been in bars with some of my old drinking people and heard them tell me that if I felt like having a drink they did not want to see me do it and would try to talk me out of it.

One time we were in a bar and another company came in who we knew they were in the same business. One of them mentioned that he had heard I didn't drink any more I said that is correct and that was the end of it. Ten minutes later he just slammed his beer down said well you are not missing any thing and left. Guess what he was rite.

Doesn't make any difference to me how you do it. If you just quit that is fine or if you get medical attention and no longer drink that is also good. Some go to AA and some go to religion. That is all OK also. The main thing is you just don't drink the first one and you then have a chance. Ask me if I want a drink I say no. End of story.

• Like 2