Have You Quitted Booze?

Water Buffalo

Drink responsibly

Responsible drinking is an option if one is not an alcoholic.

From my personal experience, alcoholics generally don't live their lives responsibility or moderately.

Alcoholism, much like cancer or diabetes is a disease according to medical science. It is extremely difficult to manage by "responsible" or "moderate" drinking, much as trying to be a "responsible" or "moderate" diabetic.

Hospitals, mental institutions, prisons and graveyards are full of people who thought and lived otherwise.

One Day at a Time and Good Luck My Friend.

'According to medical science' - can you cite your sources? To compare alcoholism to cancer is disgusting.

The 'disease' reasoning is a convenient way for the weak minded in this pathetic victim culture to excuse their own lack of self discipline. Cancer victims don't bring it upon themselves - alcoholics do.

It is entirely possible to be a moderate drinker - the majority of people who drink alcohol would fall into this category. When it stops being fun it's probably time to stop drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drink responsibly

From my personal experience, alcoholics generally don't live their lives responsibility or moderately.

Alcoholism, much like cancer or diabetes is a disease according to medical science. It is extremely difficult to manage by "responsible" or "moderate" drinking, much as trying to be a "responsible" or "moderate" diabetic.

Hospitals, mental institutions, prisons and graveyards are full of people who thought and lived otherwise.

'According to medical science' - can you cite your sources? To compare alcoholism to cancer is disgusting.

The 'disease' reasoning is a convenient way for the weak minded in this pathetic victim culture to excuse their own lack of self discipline. Cancer victims don't bring it upon themselves - alcoholics do.

It is entirely possible to be a moderate drinker - the majority of people who drink alcohol would fall into this category. When it stops being fun it's probably time to stop drinking.

You are absolutely rite.

Mind you there are a lot of dead people who would dispute the point with you, The American Medical Association says Alcoholism is a disease. How about comparing it to diarrhea would that make you feel better. You fail to realize you are playing with peoples lives here.

How ever one does it if they are drinking to much for them it is time to quit. Any way they can. Many find that it requires a little change in their way of living and attitude.

If the OP is alcoholic I would strongly advise him to stay away from people like you. You are riding on a high horse spouting off things you know nothing about with there life hanging in the balance. As I said many could not do it alone and sought out help in different type groups including Mental health groups. There are some who drank very heavy and for a long time and just stopped as we have heard there testimony here already. Not all can just stop.

Just out of curiosity I would be interested in what a knowledgeable person such as your self calls a moderate drinker. Can they occasionally get drunk is that moderation. If they get drunk would it be a once a week or once a month? Are all people allowed the same amount of drinks no matter what their sex or weight is.

If they never get drunk why would they quit?

• Like 2

I agree with GrahamF in the cases where excessive alcohol consumption is an "alternative" and of course wrong method of stress management...People in such a situation need most of the time external help to solve not only their dependence on alcohol but also to learn how to manage stress in a better way.

You are absolutely rite.

Mind you there are a lot of dead people who would dispute the point with you, The American Medical Association says Alcoholism is a disease. How about comparing it to diarrhea would that make you feel better. You fail to realize you are playing with peoples lives here.

How ever one does it if they are drinking to much for them it is time to quit. Any way they can. Many find that it requires a little change in their way of living and attitude.

If the OP is alcoholic I would strongly advise him to stay away from people like you. You are riding on a high horse spouting off things you know nothing about with there life hanging in the balance. As I said many could not do it alone and sought out help in different type groups including Mental health groups. There are some who drank very heavy and for a long time and just stopped as we have heard there testimony here already. Not all can just stop.

Just out of curiosity I would be interested in what a knowledgeable person such as your self calls a moderate drinker. Can they occasionally get drunk is that moderation. If they get drunk would it be a once a week or once a month? Are all people allowed the same amount of drinks no matter what their sex or weight is.

It seems that every time a thread is started by someone trying to get sober, that a number of people chime in with, "just quit" "use your willpower" "your weak minded" etc, etc. I'm going to take a guess that at least half of those posters don't have a problem with alcohol and as I have witnessed many times, people that don't have a problem with booze, just don't get it.

Certainly, there are people who are having problems with alcohol who can just put it down and stop drinking and there are probably a lot more who need some sort of help to quit. What I find really disturbing about the "willpower crowd," beyond the fact that a lot of them have no idea about alcoholism, is that they are not open to the fact that someone may need outside help. We need to understand that different people will need different methods of getting sober and we need to realize that if we don't encourage people to get help that we may be helping them into an early grave.

OP, best of luck to you and I really hope that you are willing to explore different methods of getting sober. Don't give up!

Yes it just burns my ass to see others who know nothing about the disease freely play with peoples lives. It would be different if he was a heavy drinker himself and just stopped no problem. But he wasn't He was just a wannabe expert on some thing and knows nothing about any thing so he jumped in here.

I guess when you live in Ivory towers and servants all around you to do your bidding along with guards to keep reality out you will wind up knowing nothing.sad.png

• Like 1

Stop drinking..Lose that gut if you don't have one yet it will come..Get healthy..Drinking slips up on you as a problem..Most are in denial yet never stop..Set your mind right and Stop..You will never regret it...

You won't regret it if you give it up, but why give it up entirely? I love a drink but can stop after a few glasses of wine or a couple of beers. I see no point in waking up feeling wretched, or worse, not sleeping because I've drunk too much. And then there is the financial angle. I told my daughter many years ago that if she quit smoking, she'd have enough money for ten days in Bali after a year. When I found that cigarettes were $15 a pack, that became three weeks in Europe after a year!!

I'd rather spend an hour in the gym than an hour drinking, and in spite of my advancing years, or what some may say, women still love, and prefer, a well toned guy, or dare I say it, with muscles.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Stop drinking..Lose that gut if you don't have one yet it will come..Get healthy..Drinking slips up on you as a problem..Most are in denial yet never stop..Set your mind right and Stop..You will never regret it...

You won't regret it if you give it up, but why give it up entirely? I love a drink but can stop after a few glasses of wine or a couple of beers. I see no point in waking up feeling wretched, or worse, not sleeping because I've drunk too much. And then there is the financial angle. I told my daughter many years ago that if she quit smoking, she'd have enough money for ten days in Bali after a year. When I found that cigarettes were $15 a pack, that became three weeks in Europe after a year!!

I'd rather spend an hour in the gym than an hour drinking, and in spite of my advancing years, or what some may say, women still love, and prefer, a well toned guy, or dare I say it, with muscles.

"I love a drink but can stop after a few glasses of wine or a couple of beers." Some people, myself included, can't stop after just a few.

You're right about the money, I can't tell you how much money I've saved from not having to buy booze and I can't imagine how much the medical bills I've avoided would have cost!

Edited by GrahamF

I very often would drink more than I wanted to, couldn't stop after one or two drinks like I intended. That is why I quit altogether. I simply can't drink in moderation. Obviously, not everyone has this problem with alcohol.

Someone said the OP was too young to quit drinking - not true at all! I wish I had quit when I was younger. Would have bypassed a 20-year struggle with depression and lots of other bad stuff attributable to my drinking. But I was in denial about the impact my drinking was having on my health and my life. 8 months sober my life is so much better in every way that there's no way I'd ever take another drink and risk wrecking it again.

In case the OP is interested in the very real health risks of alcohol consumption:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/alcohol-abuse/features/12-health-risks-of-chronic-heavy-drinking

I very often would drink more than I wanted to, couldn't stop after one or two drinks like I intended. That is why I quit altogether. I simply can't drink in moderation. Obviously, not everyone has this problem with alcohol.

Someone said the OP was too young to quit drinking - not true at all! I wish I had quit when I was younger. Would have bypassed a 20-year struggle with depression and lots of other bad stuff attributable to my drinking. But I was in denial about the impact my drinking was having on my health and my life. 8 months sober my life is so much better in every way that there's no way I'd ever take another drink and risk wrecking it again.

In case the OP is interested in the very real health risks of alcohol consumption:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/alcohol-abuse/features/12-health-risks-of-chronic-heavy-drinking

I read many years ago that involuntarily continuing to want alcohol was associated with a lack of zinc in the body. That may now be superseded as knowledge, but it may be worth googling. There will be some information available on the net about it.

I found for my self that it was a lonely social life after a while. People did not want me around. There were many nights I had nbo rememberancy of. I finally had to stop. It is a disease that can kill you with out you having to leave the bar. Also it affects the mental process and over a long period of time you can become unwanted.

I no longer drink as I found out I would not get drunk if I did not drink one beer. It is that simple time has nothing to do with it. I just stay away from one drink and my life and physical have improved. Plus I now have friends. I have been in bars with some of my old drinking people and heard them tell me that if I felt like having a drink they did not want to see me do it and would try to talk me out of it.

One time we were in a bar and another company came in who we knew they were in the same business. One of them mentioned that he had heard I didn't drink any more I said that is correct and that was the end of it. Ten minutes later he just slammed his beer down said well you are not missing any thing and left. Guess what he was rite.

Doesn't make any difference to me how you do it. If you just quit that is fine or if you get medical attention and no longer drink that is also good. Some go to AA and some go to religion. That is all OK also. The main thing is you just don't drink the first one and you then have a chance. Ask me if I want a drink I say no. End of story.

I liked your post.

For me, the story does not end with abstinence. It is a lifetime commitment and struggle not to pickup a drink again. The disease is in remission, but it can rear its ugly head and attack with a renewed vegeance. I've met alcoholics that didn't drink for 20 or more years and returned to drinking. They eventually returned to the darkness and insanity of years past.

One Day at a Time.

• Like 2

You are just too young to stop drinking! Enjoy life to the fullest. There will be time when you don't want drink, don't rush it.

I don't know if you are an alcoholic, but from your post, I will assume you are not. It is difficult to understand a disease that you don't have or that has not affected your life directly, such as a loved one being killed by a drunk driver or a parent/close relative dying from alcoholism, etc.

Enjoying life to the fullest is a goal that most people probably want to achieve. For an alcoholic, including alcohol in that equation is a roadmap for unhappiness, insanity and an early and painful death.

I would suggest that this young person decide for himself if he is indeed powerless over alcohol and that his life has become unmanageable. Diagnosing his situation from his posting is not something that I or anyone else is capable of.

What I will say is that my life without alcohol is indeed Happy, Joyous and Free.

Edited by Benmart

You are absolutely rite.

It seems that every time a thread is started by someone trying to get sober, that a number of people chime in with, "just quit" "use your willpower" "your weak minded" etc, etc. I'm going to take a guess that at least half of those posters don't have a problem with alcohol and as I have witnessed many times, people that don't have a problem with booze, just don't get it.

Certainly, there are people who are having problems with alcohol who can just put it down and stop drinking and there are probably a lot more who need some sort of help to quit. What I find really disturbing about the "willpower crowd," beyond the fact that a lot of them have no idea about alcoholism, is that they are not open to the fact that someone may need outside help. We need to understand that different people will need different methods of getting sober and we need to realize that if we don't encourage people to get help that we may be helping them into an early grave.

OP, best of luck to you and I really hope that you are willing to explore different methods of getting sober. Don't give up!

Yes it just burns my ass to see others who know nothing about the disease freely play with peoples lives. It would be different if he was a heavy drinker himself and just stopped no problem. But he wasn't He was just a wannabe expert on some thing and knows nothing about any thing so he jumped in here.

I guess when you live in Ivory towers and servants all around you to do your bidding along with guards to keep reality out you will wind up knowing nothing.sad.png

I try to word my posts in a manner that does not sound offensive or come across as presumptuous. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I stumble. It is much like my sobriety, a life-long work in progress.

From my experience, when I pepper a post or conversation with base words, crude comparisons and assumptions, the message that I am trying to share is often diluted and opaque to the recipient. What does result, again from my experience, is resentment, hostility and ignorance of my true intent.

Easy Does It.

You are just too young to stop drinking! Enjoy life to the fullest. There will be time when you don't want drink, don't rush it.

Do you also tell kids with Juvenile Diabetes that they don't need to take insulin because they're too young and that there will be time enough for that later?

You're not funny or helpful and you may in fact be helping someone to kill themselves with booze. The alcoholic will grasp at anything to keep drinking.

If drunk want's quit drinking no posting in bs website won't affect him one way or the other.

I don't know if you are an alcoholic, but from your post, I will assume you are not. It is difficult to understand a disease that you don't have or that has not affected your life directly, such as a loved one being killed by a drunk driver or a parent/close relative dying from alcoholism, etc.

Enjoying life to the fullest is a goal that most people probably want to achieve. For an alcoholic, including alcohol in that equation is a roadmap for unhappiness, insanity and an early and painful death.

I would suggest that this young person decide for himself if he is indeed powerless over alcohol and that his life has become unmanageable. Diagnosing his situation from his posting is not something that I or anyone else is capable of.

What I will say is that my life without alcohol is indeed Happy, Joyous and Free.

I've had my fair share of alcohol related happiness in my life. Whole issue of alcoholism nowadays is like a witch hunt, quite like tobacco. Moderate drinking enhances social skills and momentarily reliefs stress, nothing wrong with that. If you act like an idiot when drinking, it doesn't make you an alcoholic just mean when drunk.

And we all should stop drinking because there are drunk drivers and people dying from alcoholism!

No alcoholic, and I mean real alcoholics, British, German and Scandinavians who normally drink more piss before their first leak than American in entire night,will stop drinking untill He/She hits the bottom one way or the other.

All these hold hand, it's bad for you bs posts don't give any help to a real alcoholic. If crying child can't stop alcoholic from drinking what's the value of one of these post's?

Cheers, chok dii, kampai...

Do you also tell kids with Juvenile Diabetes that they don't need to take insulin because they're too young and that there will be time enough for that later?

You're not funny or helpful and you may in fact be helping someone to kill themselves with booze. The alcoholic will grasp at anything to keep drinking.

If drunk want's quit drinking no posting in bs website won't affect him one way or the other.

He says he gets no pleasure from drinking anymore. I understand that he wants to stop now.

What is your motive for wanting someone who is having alcohol related problems to continue drinking?

I know I did the same and my motive was so I could selfishly justify my own drinking.

• Like 2

Drink responsibly

...maybe you'd like to expand on your advice, flesh it out a little....?
This month I quit eating ice-cream and stopped having snacks late at night.

It was easy and a matter of self-discipline.

For me to tell someone who has an eating disorder to just eat responsibly or use their will power would be absurd.

Similarly, a heavy drinker can quit booze using self-discipline and willpower but to tell an alcoholic to do so would be equally absurd.

The problem is that many people don't understand what an alcoholic is, they think anyone who drinks a lot is an alcoholic but this is far from the truth.

Alcoholics, from my experience, are neither weak minded, victims, or lacking in self discipline any more or less than someone suffering from intolerance or bigotry.

I sort of agree. Many alcoholics can pretend to be normal quite a long time and be in positions of good jobs etc. Actually, more higher we go in hierarchy, it seems that quite many are tolerated without much talk.

I think it is irresponsible to say to someone: "Drink! You are still young." Especially so if one asks opinion to be more sober. I have personally witnessed a young guy lose his job, relationship and house along with his future in two years. Donno why I survived a decade of heavy boozing but that doesn't make me proud of it. I lost a lot what could've been a very succesfull career. I managed alright but somehow still feel that it could've been much much more without the tainting influence of drink.

I am weak. I am weak when it comes to drink. I can't have just one or two or three...it goes on until I am totally drunk, can't remember how I came home or with what. Don't remember how I got hurt on the way felling down on my knee. Can't remember what I said to my partner of 8 years when landing on the bed.

There are so many things that I regret. None were really necessary to go through. Now I am sober most of the year. If I go on the drink I don't show my face at home. That has been agreed. My family doesn't drink at all and they simply don't understand why someone does. I don't like to promise that I will never drink but I have cut down from being 200 days a year drunk to maybe 20 times a year and trying to finish completely. '

I find a big double standard being one of the things that becomes apparent when one admits that he is having problems with drink. Society and social circles quite often provide drink and it is considered the norm. You are a great guy, you can take a lot of booze. But when things go pear shaped you are the loser. Sometimes I think that is a sign of fear from those who know fully well that they could be that loser one day.

I continue trying to quit completely but at the moment still just trying. I truly hope that the OP doesn't have to go through all that what I have been through. It just isn't worth it just for the drink.

More great advice. I am definitely going to give it my best shot!

I expect a relapse at Christmas and New Year however. Simply because my dad is here on holiday and i am bound to give in under the pressure to have fun with him.

Speaking of my dad, he is one who, i think, really really needs to stop. He seems to struggle going out for any less than 12 hours when in Thailand, simply because the bars will stay open for him.

All the years of drinking Guinness has triggered his Diabetes gene early. He now has problems with his feet, not to mention immune system. And his Cholesterol and blood pressure are not the best.

He seems to think that a person doesn't have a drink problem until they can't get out of bed and face the day without having a drink first. Many people where i come from (Scotland) say this, but i personally think that it shouldn't get that far and a drink problem could (and maybe should) be recognized much earlier.

Although, he has often said that i am quite right to think about stopping and he should do the same. Maybe if i quite he might start to do the same.

I have seen people ignore their bodies too many times. When one gets sick and loses his health it is not something that can be purchased from a store. "Could I have a new body, please!"

Diabetes puts a big strain on body and internal organs. Your comment of your dads legs could suggest he is already on his way to neuropathy. That means the blood circulation in his legs is limited and he might not feel pain below knees. Also, when drinking extended periods of time one might cause severe nerve damage. I don't want to scare you but I have seen this too close to not warn about it.

I have been sober now for quite many weeks and hope to continue that way. When you mentioned that New Year and dad are sort of forcing you to have fun, I might ask is there no alternative? It might be hard to go round with him not drinkin but at the same time you might see what's it like to be with him while sober. I have done that and found out that bars are not anymore for me. Same old drunks and same old happenings. Even the go-go bars aren't interesting when you observe the goings without the numbing influence of drink.

Anyway, I truly hope the best for you. It is YOUR LIFE and you should have the best possible.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/

More great advice. I am definitely going to give it my best shot!

I expect a relapse at Christmas and New Year however. Simply because my dad is here on holiday and i am bound to give in under the pressure to have fun with him.

Speaking of my dad, he is one who, i think, really really needs to stop. He seems to struggle going out for any less than 12 hours when in Thailand, simply because the bars will stay open for him.

All the years of drinking Guinness has triggered his Diabetes gene early. He now has problems with his feet, not to mention immune system. And his Cholesterol and blood pressure are not the best.

He seems to think that a person doesn't have a drink problem until they can't get out of bed and face the day without having a drink first. Many people where i come from (Scotland) say this, but i personally think that it shouldn't get that far and a drink problem could (and maybe should) be recognized much earlier.

Although, he has often said that i am quite right to think about stopping and he should do the same. Maybe if i quite he might start to do the same.

I read your post and find it insightful as we'll as distressing. Planning a relapse during the holidays is a danger sign in itself IMO. I do understand that it is difficult not to succumb to the temptation to drink during the holidays but if one stays out bars or places where alcohol is the main focus, then it may be a bit easier.

I also drank heavily during the holidays, and the holidays increased in number and frequency. Obscure holidays were observed religiously by me at the bottom of the bottle. It soon came to pass that there was no need for a reason to drink as I was on auto-pilot and had no control over it.

My advice. Don't put off for tomorrow, what you can do today. If you were to break a leg, would you wait until tommorow to seek medical assistance?

Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. It doesn't show itself as a broken extremity, morbid tumor or burst blood vessel spewing red everywhere. It doesn't need to. It has time on its side and the alcoholic is without a clock.

For the alcoholic, It fools you into thinking "One more for the road", "One won't hurt" or "It's Christmas, I have just one".

For me one was too much and ten, not enough. Good luck my friend.

One Day at a Time.

• Like 1

I agree Benmart. It is a a sign of danger that i want a drink during the holidays. It is probably a sign of dependency or something? I do feel like i depend on it in certain social situations.

Your experience and journey to sobriety is very touching, as are all others here. (sorry i haven't found time to reply to each one individually, but i appreciate them all)

I also agree with all those who say, "Drink while your young", is bad advice. I think it leads to further problems in the future and doesn't make sense.

Very interesting info on Neuropathy Onni4me. Thanks! Yeah, I definitely think my dad is on his way with that, and maybe more than doctors are telling him, or knowing about themselves. When he is back home, he can't wiggle his toes and has numbness, especially at certain times of the day (i think, night and morning). In Thailand, he gets some relief with regular foot massage and can wiggle his toes without any problem. But it is definitely not a good sign. I have no idea what it will take for him to quit.

My life slid down hill from there and relationships as well. The only choice I felt I had left was death by firearm or drugs. Fortunately, I had a spiritual event that lead me to reach out for help which saved my life. It is though AA that I have found a new life, full of abundance and happiness. I found other people that shared my experiences, some less and some more. I found acceptance, support and understanding that only someone in the program can understand.

One Day at A Time.

I am happy for you. Now been few weeks sober and it really helps me think more positive and have more energy to deal with my work and duties.

I find your honesty extremely refreshing. My aunt was an alcoholic and unfortunately the closest person to me in my family. I saw her prolonged alcohol induced demise very close. I probably would have needed some sort of consulting by a shrink the moment she was buried. The problem with alcohol induced suicide is that it takes so long. Suicide? I hear you ask. Yes, in my opinion some alcoholics know what's coming and at the same time they make their family members and closest ones suffer greatly.

She was also the greatest person to invent excuses for her lifestyle and dealings. She was not poor. I say this because if she would've been not much would have separated her from the gutter - literally.

Somehow I feel that alcoholism runs in our family. That is one of the reasons that I want to put a stop to my own drinking. I don't want my life to turn into a shrinking spiral around the bottle. Many alcoholics have very pathetic lives. Their life circulates around their own navel. And drink, of course. Other people, especially those trying to separate them from the beloved bottle, are not important. They may need a lot of affection but it normally is very one way road. They really don't care about other people. If they would, they would give up their love to drink.

I have seen what drink does and still been too weak-minded to give it up totally myself. I hope that time comes. I am happy that people get rid of drinking - by any means. I myself am not sure if AA would suit me since it involves religious elements and that is another matter that I suffered in my youth but not into talking about it now.

As you say...One Day at A Time.

Nearing 50 now

I never acquired the taste for it back as a teen in Canada then Australia.

Fellow aus friends thought I was either strange, weird or gay 'cause I didn't drink at much at all

i did have the odd spirits rum and coke but nothing heavy or severe and not a pub goer

Over here my wife really appreciates the fact that I don't drink. biggrin.png

I only have one drink on my birthday and that is that.

The night before our wedding my Thai brother in laws tried to get me to drink Laokow

Horrible crap it was I just had half of a shot glass of it. bah.gif

So not being a drinker my wife is very happy that I don't spend 300 baht extra a day on a couple of bottles of beer for the evening wink.png

Kirbicus