British woman, 21, whose ‘drinks were spiked in Thailand’ survives 30ft fall from hotel balcony

Lite Beer

I suggest that drunk Brits only book rooms without windows and balconies, and preferably padded. How I've managed to live in Thailand for 3 years without falling off a balcony is a complete mystery to me. Maybe I need to drink more.

3 years later at job interview...

Interviewer: I see that you took a gap year. What did you do?

Interviewee: I got drunk and fell off a balcony.

Interviewer: That's great. You're just the sort of person we're looking for. You're hired.

LOL.

I think the Aussies still hold the record for jumping or falling.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest that drunk Brits only book rooms without windows and balconies, and preferably padded. How I've managed to live in Thailand for 3 years without falling off a balcony is a complete mystery to me. Maybe I need to drink more.

Interviewer: That's great. You're just the sort of person we're looking for. You're hired.

LOL.

They wouldn't say "You're hired" in the UK. That's an Americanism.

You obviously don't know about Lord Alan Sugar and "The Apprentice".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Not another "I made a fool of myself on holiday because my drinks where spiked" story bah.gif !! Just as believeable as the "I wasn`t aware that those drugs where in my suitcase,honest"-stories.

Drink spiking is endemic in Thailand.

They spike the drink, then follow you when you wander off, on your own, for either rape or robbery.

In my case in CM, after my one and only trip to Spicey, robbery of my wallet.

It's also happened to a couple of my pals.

But according to some 'experts' earlier posts, it never happens here.

It`s a big difference between "it never happen" or that drink spiking being "endemic" wouldn`t you agree whistling.gif ?

In my 20 years here I`ve never heard of or experienced drink spiking,neither has my friends......................only a few members here on TV claims to been a victim of that.................again,it doesn`t make it endemic.

• Like 1

Some anecdotal evidence suggests spiking of drinks, and I won't argue with that - well, how can you without the full facts. But in some instances could it be that the person involved was simply a two-pot screamer? We often laugh about people who seem to get drunk on the smell of a wine cork, and I think we've all seen people lose it after only a couple of drinks, or others whose characters "shape shift" after a few drinks and they're totally unaware of their behaviour the next day. For sure there is spiking - it happens everywhere. But could it - in some circumstances - just be a rash thought, a rash excuse, for someone who is simply more susceptible to alcohol than most? Just saying.

Edited by WitawatWatawit

LOL.

That's not so far from the truth.

When we were in the latter stages of 6th form and waiting to go to BA flight school my classmate had a nasty on his motorbike.

BA told him that was good experience as it would make him more aware of danger and sure enough when he was recovered he joined flight school a year late (and never crashed an aircraft in a long career).

Meanwhile, the young lady was extremely lucky.

Never talk about Flight School

Why not? That's what it's called in the UK. Pilots have to learn their craft and skills.

5 star hotel, drunk and jump.

She is full idiot and I can't feel with her.

My best friend girl just started chemotherapy yesterday, and almost same age.

I guess she received a huge problem, for example:

- her facebook friends didn't like her last picture which she made about herself in mirror,

- her pet at home got a runs,

- her father bought her the new Mini but not in the agreed color,

- or in her Uni she has to change her seat with other mate in next semester.

So I can understand her well, she was very very desperate (AND FULL DRUNK)

Wow, so you know the poor girl and for you she clearly deserved to fall off the balcony? We do not know the details of the story and yet you blame her. The fact that the story mentions spiked drinks (yet again) gives the impression she was not only under the influence of alcohol. I note the young girl is quite a babe so it is not a stretch of the imagination to think that some scumbag spiked her drink in the hope of taking advantage of her.

The fact is we don't know the reality of this story so for you to make such statements blaming her is disgusting.

• Like 1

British tourist alleges attacker in hotel room before balcony fall
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_20131122102939992_EJaWtcMmFCo

PHUKET: -- Police are waiting for the results of a toxicology report for British tourist Romany Mitchell after she told them her drink in Phuket was spiked.

The tests were ordered after the 21-year-old student from Edinburgh reported to police that she was fleeing an assailant in her hotel room before she plunged from the second-floor balcony of the building on Nanai Road, Patong, early on November 11.

Ms Mitchell is recovering at Bangkok Hospital Phuket from an ankle and hip injury sustained in the fall. She was taken immediately to Patong Hospital, but transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket the next day.

“She is now in good condition. The doctor will check on her again before releasing her,” Capt Nattaya Suwanpong of the Patong Police told the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

Hospital staff have confirmed that Ms Mitchell was discharged from hospital care last night.

"She left at about 8pm. Although she was still wearing splints on her right arm and her right leg, she could move by herself with a crutch," a nurse told the Gazette.

Capt Nattaya yesterday questioned Ms Mitchell further about the incident.

“She told us that she only drank two glasses of alcohol. She went on to explain that a few minutes after having the drinks, she felt like she could not control herself, so she tried to find her way back to the hotel,” Capt Nattaya said.

“From that point, she didn’t, and doesn't, remember anything until she realized that she was in her room and that someone was attempting to assault her,” he said.

In an attempt to escape, she ran to the balcony and fell, explained Capt Nattaya.

Police are waiting for results of a blood alcohol concentration test, as well as the toxicology report.

Hotel staff told police that Ms Mitchell and a female companion had left the hotel at about 10pm to have a drink at the Tiger Live Band bar complex on Soi Bangla (map here).

“The staff reported Ms Mitchell coming back alone at about 3am. They said she wasn’t walking straight, so a female employee helped her to her room and then left her there to rest alone,” Capt Nattaya said.

About 40 minutes later, they heard commotion. Outside, they found Ms Mitchell on the ground.

Police have started examining CCTV footage that could offer clues to what happened just before her plunge.

“CCTV footage from Soi Bangla shows Ms Mitchell exiting the bar alone, and hotel footage captured Ms Mitchell entering the hotel alone,” Capt Nattaya said.

Nonetheless, police are searching for other CCTV footage in for leads.

“We are also questioning more witnesses,” Capt Nattaya added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/British-tourist-alleges-attacker-in-hotel-room-before-balcony-fall-22849.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-22

Not another "I made a fool of myself on holiday because my drinks where spiked" story xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.INo70HjZC3.webp alt=bah.gif width=19 height=19> !! Just as believeable as the "I wasn`t aware that those drugs where in my suitcase,honest"-stories.

I have seen a girl jump out of a window in 3rd floor after taking some drug, she actually believed she could fly, well broken arms and legs proved she was wrong, maybe this is what happened to Romany?

It`s a big difference between "it never happen" or that drink spiking being "endemic" wouldn`t you agree whistling.gif ?

In my 20 years here I`ve never heard of or experienced drink spiking,neither has my friends......................only a few members here on TV claims to been a victim of that.................again,it doesn`t make it endemic.

It could equally mean either/or

1. You don't go to clubs much.

2. You don't look like you carry much cash in your wallet.

3. You aren't an attractive young female anyone would want to rape.

These are the drink spiking target victims.

If you are an old guy who thinks excitement is a hot cocoa before bed, you won't have experienced it.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Not another "I made a fool of myself on holiday because my drinks where spiked" story bah.gif !! Just as believeable as the "I wasn`t aware that those drugs where in my suitcase,honest"-stories.

Drink spiking is endemic in Thailand.

They spike the drink, then follow you when you wander off, on your own, for either rape or robbery.

In my case in CM, after my one and only trip to Spicey, robbery of my wallet.

It's also happened to a couple of my pals.

But according to some 'experts' earlier posts, it never happens here.

It`s a big difference between "it never happen" or that drink spiking being "endemic" wouldn`t you agree

Yes I do agree, it's far from endemic

In my 20 years here I`ve never heard of or experienced drink spiking,neither has my friends

Just cos you and friends haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it doesn't happens here, does it?

....only a few members here on TV claims to been a victim of that.

That maybe but there have also been many reports on tourists being unwittingly drugged. I wouldn't believe much of what I read here anyway! biggrin.png

Endemic? No but definitely an often occurrence, more than you and your 'friends' know, more than we all realise, more than is reported too. whistling.gif

LOL.

They wouldn't say "You're hired" in the UK. That's an Americanism.

The interview was in the USA.

The drinks are twice as strong in LOS than the west. I have seen many claim drinks being spiked. I dont believe it. its a mix of the hot weather and too many cocktails. Booze is pretty powerfull in big doses for the inexperienced

And don't forget not enough water drinking.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Perhaps it's about time to rename "Roofies" into "Balcies" or something...

Always easy for the tourists to blame someone else for getting completely $#itfaced while partying with things getting our of hand eventually. Sounds to me like that woman was emotionally unstable, had a few drinks and/or roofies, or whatever she voluntarily took, too many - got depressed because the surfer boy of her dreams went home with a Russian or Thai hottie instead of her, so she went home crying and took a dive. And again it's a Thai bartender's fault? Come on, give me a break!!!

Bottom line for (British) party goers: Go hard or go home!

yes, something is certainly coming over as unstable, but it aint the girl in the news article.

===

glad she was ok.

It could equally mean either/or

1. You don't go to clubs much.

2. You don't look like you carry much cash in your wallet.

3. You aren't an attractive young female anyone would want to rape.

These are the drink spiking target victims.

If you are an old guy who thinks excitement is a hot cocoa before bed, you won't have experienced it.

1. I do often frequent clubs

2. I do

3. True

"If you are an old guy who thinks excitement is a hot cocoa before bed, you won't have experienced it."...................Im 49 usually enjoying or beer or 2 before hitting the bed in the morning thumbsup.gif

Let`s wait for the outcome for the tox screening done here.My bet it will fizzle out to nothing as all other cases here,because there is nothing to be found in the samples.

I may be wrong but don't spiked drinks knock you out? getting back to hotel crying, alone? me thinks that she may have made a run for the balcony instead of the bed! women are known to do that when they have been rejected or are in a drunken state!

Better to wait for the toxicology report and results from the CCTV footage, instead of speculating. There are always more possibilities than those you think of straight away. It might for instance be an allergic reaction because she had been drinking something she usually doesn't drink.

As Billy Connolly said many years ago, if you want to fly then take off from the ground, like aircraft.

This lady was extremely lucky and the circumstances are not clear.

A mature 40 year old and sensible UK lady friend accepted a chocolate from a Thai on the train down to (I think Songkla) and it was very much spiked. She was out of it for several hours and lost her belongings but at least not her life.

Better to wait for the toxicology report and results from the CCTV footage, instead of speculating. There are always more possibilities than those you think of straight away. It might for instance be an allergic reaction because she had been drinking something she usually doesn't drink.

It wouldnt be TV without speculation

• Like 2

The drinks are twice as strong in LOS than the west. I have seen many claim drinks being spiked. I dont believe it. its a mix of the hot weather and too many cocktails. Booze is pretty powerfull in big doses for the inexperienced

Friend who is strong enough to drink 1-2 bottles of Whiskey a day ( living in LOS ) gets suddenly dizzy after his 2nd beer in Phuket bar - he was alone there. One of those at the end of Bangla road, on the main road already. The big one, black wood, red sign I think. Hollywood or something.

Manages to puke most of it out and somehow escapes. Trashes it the next day for spiked drink.

It's not the alcohol. "I don't believe it" - big deal.

Let`s wait for the outcome for the tox screening done here.My bet it will fizzle out to nothing as all other cases here,because there is nothing to be found in the samples.

I'm guessing they won't find anything either.

They didn't find anything at the Death Town Inn in CM.

They didn't find anything at the Death Guesthouse in Phi Phi.

I'm guessing if you gave them a mirror and let them use both hands, they couldn't find their own arse either!