Thai doctors warned against S Korean courses

webfact

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE ACADEMY of Facial and Reconstructive Surgery urged Thai physicians yesterday not to attend training courses in South Korea, as it has learned that the lectures were not provided by qualified personnel and that they lacked proper accreditation.

Academy chairman Dr Chonlatis Sinratchatanant said these coursers were no more than tours to private clinics providing cosmetic surgical services and that the certification provided had not been endorsed or given any professional medical accreditation. Thailand's Medical Council also does not endorse certification obtained through such courses, he added.

Many Thai doctors have attended such courses in recent years following campaigns by South Korean tour companies who regularly arrange tours for people seeking cosmetic surgery. Chonlatis also warned that most Thai physicians were new graduates who had set up beauty clinics and wanted to expand their services to offer nose jobs and cosmetic surgery. The doctor said such certification would affect the country's cosmetic-surgery industry in the long term.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-21

Anyone plugged in might suspect this is part of effort to promote Thailand as a medical hub for such procedures and to erode S. Korea's spot in all this. Next, we'll be hearing similar stories RE India and eye surgeries, etc.

• Like 1

Based on numerous and reoccurring medical horror stories I hear from my Thai friends/family regarding govt hospitals, I'm surprised the headline didn't say, "Thai doctors warned against courses." But I think that is predominately driven by overcrowding in most govt hospitals, the doctors have so many patients they can't give each patient enough time sometimes, and of course there is little financial incentive. However, but, my mother-in-law had major back surgery at a govt hospital and they did a great job...but it was done by a bones doctor/surgeon she had been seeing for years and was highly skilled. He could probably get rich working in a private hospital but chooses to work in a govt hospital and runs a part time private clinic.

In my personal experience in going to private hospitals for care the doctors and entire medical stuff have been very good because the private hospitals are not overcrowded, not wall-to-wall waiting patients, and there is financial incentive.

And when it comes to possibly using some of these beauty/laser/cosmetic surgery clinics which this article seems to be talking about I just don't think the qualification of those fine folks may be up to speed....plus, I'm handsome enough already.

I once worked in an office building in Seoul. On one of the floors was my office, on another floor was an English school, on a couple of floors there were anonymous office corridors, and on three of the floors were plastic surgery. Maybe they can take English classes and get their plastic surgery training all at the same place. Then again, Koreans prefer getting surgery on the nose and the area above the eyes. I don't know if hi-so Thais want the same part or a different part getting the special treatment.

the lectures were not provided by qualified personnel and that they lacked proper accreditation

And if that is what they want then they can stay in Thailand and have similar lectures by unqualified people with no accreditation and keep the money in the country....Instead of complaining about other countries, how about Thailand try and improve itself first....?

Anyone plugged in might suspect this is part of effort to promote Thailand as a medical hub for such procedures and to erode S. Korea's spot in all this. Next, we'll be hearing similar stories RE India and eye surgeries, etc.

Have you forgotten about the lousy Medical Care in England, United States, France, and Switzerland that is why all thew rich come to Bangkok or Pattaya for medical

Have you forgotten about the lousy Medical Care in England, United States, France, and Switzerland that is why all thew rich come to Bangkok or Pattaya for medical

I would think a lot of people, although maybe not rich ones come because of lower prices. Thailand may be a better place to recuperate.

If Thai medicine is so much better why is the life expectancy so much lower than those countries. I've seen Thai private health care described as good and also that a lot of the doctors are trained in the west plus you will often see reference made to western standards.

BANGKOK: -- THE ACADEMY of Facial and Reconstructive Surgery urged Thai physicians yesterday not to attend training courses in South Korea, as it has learned that the lectures were not provided by qualified personnel and that they lacked proper accreditation.

Since when has lack of qualifications or accreditation been of any real concern? Is it possible the Bangkok Academy of Facial and Reconstructive Surgery is more concerned with losing paying customers to those crafty Koreans?

Edited by marell

"lousy medical care in Switzerland"??? coffee1.gif ever been to a Swiss hospital? you know how the system works here?

• Like 1

"lousy medical care in Switzerland"??? coffee1.gif ever been to a Swiss hospital? you know how the system works here?

Was Harry joking? America also has some of the best medical facilities for the rich. I don't think many of them are coming to Thailand for medical treatment and almost none for plastic surgery.

• Like 1

Anyone planning to have facial or reconstructive surgery in Thailand ought to have their heads examined.

You can't make such a broad statement. There are excellent doctors in Thailand, obviously. I've been lucky I guess but in the four plus years I lived in Thailand, I only had great experiences, including cases of other foreigners I was involved with (accompanying a monk from Bhutan to several hospitals for medical treatment for example).

Since when has lack of qualifications or accreditation been of any real concern? Is it possible the Bangkok Academy of Facial and Reconstructive Surgery is more concerned with losing paying customers to those crafty Koreans?

You might be on to something. More and more Asians are heading to South Korea because it has many of the best plastic surgeons in the world. Judging by all the bad nose jobs I see in Bangkok on a daily basis, I doubt the Koreans will be worried about Thailand passing them by anytime soon.

• Like 1