Do Russians mix with westerners?

scubascuba3

Most of the ussians comming to Asia now are from "Asia regions" close to Afganistan ..And see themself as asians first not western. Even do some looks "white european", Some looks more like white mixed with chinese/mongoloids . I meet many russians from Uzbekistan , Dagerstan, Kazakstan,Kyrkiztan.

clap2.gif in the list of countries quoted - only Dagestan is a part of modern Russia. others - are different countries for 20 years, and so there living uzbeks, kazakhs, and kyrgyz, not russians.

well, just wanted to note one point: russians (especially old generation), usually shy, when they unable to communicate to western people, because of lack of English, and it looks like they are unfriendly to them. but not all - my mom (64 y.o.) always nicely spoke to westerners, and found some friends, though she know only 'Hello' and 'i do not speak English' and no other languages. :) i still wonder - how! :)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, I do not believe Russians like to mix

1) Russians tend to be very xenophobic. Probably from centuries of isolation and invasion. When I was in Moscow (I am german heritage, and have a similar appearance to most Russian's) I did not have a welcome feeling at any time. I've been to Saudi, Nigeria, UAE, England, Thailand, Central America, and a few other places; but Moscow stands out as being my least welcome and most unsafe (from robbery standpoint) that I've experienced.

2) I've read travel reports that list the least welcome places for tourists are #1 Russia, and #2 France (completely in line with my past experience)

3) I've witnessed a group Thai working girls fighting with Russian working girls in bkk -- those groups definitely do not mix smile.png

4) Friends who have worked in Russia alongside Russians in the same office, report going years without their coworkers mixing with them (probably more due to the salary difference)

So in general, I'd say they like to keep to themselves.

hummm apparently we havent been in the same Russia ... and for the least welcome place , Moscow is not for tourist at all ..France still No 1 in the world for tourism beside No 2 in your list. Nigeria and Saudi ? never really felt welcome there .... Have you been to St Petersburg from June to September ? you know some time being arrogant doesn't help to be welcome in some places ..

Arrogant?

I just listed facts, from personal experience. Does this come off as arrogant? Ok, if that is how you read it, to each there own.

My travel experience has be more work related than tourism, and I haven't been been exposed to all of Russia. And I do have some Russian friends, but have never been to St Petersburg from June to Sept, which I'm sure has beautiful scenary and climate.

Thought about this myself, since the sheer sight of some of those long-legged high heel hotties messes with my head... What I have found so far is that most of the Russian women are kind of ice cold and very distant. Very difficult to get a smile or any friendly reaction out of them, eye contact almost impossible. Given my personal findings and the headlines Russian male tourists and expats make here in Thailand, my final conclusion is that the majority of Russians are missing empathy and kindness in their DNA mix. This all said, I see no reason why I would mix with people who can't share a smile, can't be bothered to appear friendly, warm and open hearted, but instead appear ice cold, arrogant and self-centered. So, perhaps your question should rather be: Do westerners see any rational reason for mingling with Russians and if yes, WHY? One can say about Thais whatever he wants, but I find them much more likeable than Russians...

I know some "Russians" quite well & have known them since they were fighting

in Afghanistan. Russia is a HUGE country and I reckon the OP should be more

specific as to who qualifies as a Russian. I mean there's the Ukraine (home of

very beautiful women who tend to live a very long time!), There's the Kazaks,

the Western Russians (aka Moscow types), Asian Russians, Siberian Russians

etc..etc...etc. And although today they are all called "Russians" their cultures

differ greatly. As for the question asked though...I will give this answer...yeah

they "mix with "westerners"....perhaps the mix will take some time to happen &

the westerner may have to start it in motion...but the "Russians" ...for the most

part are decent people.

Even though Ukrainians speak russian and belonged to the back then Soviet Union, they are from the country Ukranie (UKR to the left in the map), and not Russia. Same goes for Kazaks (Kazakhstan) etc.

russia-map.gif

As people from many other regions in the world, some are well educated, well mannered, others not so much.

Edited by Zumteufel
  • Like 2

etc..etc...etc. And although today they are all called "Russians" their cultures

differ greatly. As for the question asked though...I will give this answer...yeah

the westerner may have to start it in motion...but the "Russians" ...for the most

part are decent people.

Even though Ukrainians speak russian and belonged to the back then Soviet Union, they are from the country Ukranie (UKR to the left in the map), and not Russia. Same goes for Kazaks (Kazakhstan) etc.

russia-map.gif

As people from many other regions in the world, some are well educated, well mannered, others not so much.

Ukrainians speak Ukrainian, which resembles Russian.

• Like 1

Thought about this myself, since the sheer sight of some of those long-legged high heel hotties messes with my head... What I have found so far is that most of the Russian women are kind of ice cold and very distant. Very difficult to get a smile or any friendly reaction out of them, eye contact almost impossible. Given my personal findings and the headlines Russian male tourists and expats make here in Thailand, my final conclusion is that the majority of Russians are missing empathy and kindness in their DNA mix. This all said, I see no reason why I would mix with people who can't share a smile, can't be bothered to appear friendly, warm and open hearted, but instead appear ice cold, arrogant and self-centered. So, perhaps your question should rather be: Do westerners see any rational reason for mingling with Russians and if yes, WHY? One can say about Thais whatever he wants, but I find them much more likeable than Russians...

for a minute I thought you talked about Brits ..... cheesy.gif specially the ice cold , self centered and arrogant part .... LOL

1) Russians tend to be very xenophobic. Probably from centuries of isolation and invasion. When I was in Moscow (I am german heritage, and have a similar appearance to most Russian's) I did not have a welcome feeling at any time. I've been to Saudi, Nigeria, UAE, England, Thailand, Central America, and a few other places; but Moscow stands out as being my least welcome and most unsafe (from robbery standpoint) that I've experienced.

2) I've read travel reports that list the least welcome places for tourists are #1 Russia, and #2 France (completely in line with my past experience)

3) I've witnessed a group Thai working girls fighting with Russian working girls in bkk -- those groups definitely do not mix smile.png

4) Friends who have worked in Russia alongside Russians in the same office, report going years without their coworkers mixing with them (probably more due to the salary difference)

hummm apparently we havent been in the same Russia ... and for the least welcome place , Moscow is not for tourist at all ..France still No 1 in the world for tourism beside No 2 in your list. Nigeria and Saudi ? never really felt welcome there .... Have you been to St Petersburg from June to September ? you know some time being arrogant doesn't help to be welcome in some places ..

Arrogant?

I just listed facts, from personal experience. Does this come off as arrogant? Ok, if that is how you read it, to each there own.

My travel experience has be more work related than tourism, and I haven't been been exposed to all of Russia. And I do have some Russian friends, but have never been to St Petersburg from June to Sept, which I'm sure has beautiful scenary and climate.

never said you were .... sorry if you been confused , what I was trying to say is some time being kind and polite help to have the same in return from anyone ..... I have been traveling and working with russia for the last 16 years and never had to complain about them.

Arrogant?

never said you were .... sorry if you been confused , what I was trying to say is some time being kind and polite help to have the same in return from anyone ..... I have been traveling and working with russia for the last 16 years and never had to complain about them.

In my opinion they don't mix with westerners . I Live in Pattaya in a complex witch is half condo an half hotel this time of the year it is full of Russians they seem not to even like each other never mind any one els there is zero in the way of a smile . All I seem to get from them is a rude stare and when I nod to say hello they carry on starring personally I think there a strange bunch

part are decent people.

since when are ukrainians called russians?

Try back when the USSR was in place. Back then many of us in the "West"

gave the entire region the generic term Russians. This was wrong of course

and today one wouldn't want to call a Ukrainian a Russian and expect to

walk away unarmed. Perhaps I should have clarified these distinctions in

my post. No harm meant or implied.

In high season, over half of the tourists in town are Russian. MORE than represented. They are OVER- represented.

You'd have a totally different attitude about the Russians, if you had a tourist dependent business in Pat. I don't suppose that you could possibly comprehend that concept, though, Eh?

I have observed more obvious homophobia among the Russians than other groups in Pattaya, even much more so than Muslims from the Middle East or Indians, which might surprise many. The main reason I say this is watching how they react on baht buses when there are either Thai ladyboys or older white man / younger Thai man couples. Sometimes it is overt, pointing and laughing at them directly, more so to the ladyboys. Sometimes it is hostile looks and STARING more so to the gay male intergenerational couples. I have not noticed any visible hostility towards gay men together who are the same race and age but I'm not sure they even register as gay to these observers.

I can imagine this. The expectation of heteronormativity seems to be very strong in Russia. In fact, it is deeply enshrined in law and by this I don't mean recent criminal legislations about what is seen as "gay propaganda", but that statutes like the Family Code idealise heteronormative sexual order. Some scholars have argued that non-heterosexuals are excluded from rights-based citizenship in Russia and that this needs to be understood in the historical context of a Soviet legacy (presumably to allow for change).

http://cisr.ru/publications/heteronormativity-of-the-russian-legal-discourse/

http://sls.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/10/10/0964663913505315.abstract

Edited by Morakot

Most of the Russian women I've seen in Pattaya are super hot smile.png

But as far as the Russians interacting with others, they appear aloof and uninterested in conversing with anyone outside their immediate group.

I have found groups of Russians tend to be VERY open to interact with OTHER Russian speakers. This supports my feeling that a large part of the perception of coldness is linguistic in origin.

I have been approached by Russians speaking to me directly in Russian in Nha Trang, Vietnam (another hotbed of Russian tourists) and Suvarnabhumi Airport. Both times they were disappointed that I couldn't speak Russian. If only my dad were with me...he actually speaks Russian.

In my opinion they don't mix with westerners . I Live in Pattaya in a complex witch is half condo an half hotel this time of the year it is full of Russians they seem not to even like each other never mind any one els there is zero in the way of a smile . All I seem to get from them is a rude stare and when I nod to say hello they carry on starring personally I think there a strange bunch

What do you care if the Russians don't speak to you. Do they "obnoxiously" make a nuisance of themselves, or try to impose their values on other people? No! The Russians know how to mind their own business, which is more than enough to gain my respect. whistling.gif

What do you care if the Russians don't speak to you. Do they "obnoxiously" make a nuisance of themselves, or try to impose their values on other people? No! The Russians know how to mind their own business, which is more than enough to gain my respect. whistling.gif

For all intents and purposes, a lot of Russians are "Westerners"wink.png

Most of the Russian tourists in Pattaya, not so much ...

Seriously, doesn't Russia pride itself on being separate from the west?

I've spent quite a bit of time in Russia and have many, many Russian friends, and I've found it to be just the opposite. They generally pride themselves as being Westerners. Their hero is Peter, and that is because he dragged Russia into modern Europe.

In high season, over half of the tourists in town are Russian. MORE than represented. They are OVER- represented.

You'd have a totally different attitude about the Russians, if you had a tourist dependent business in Pat. I don't suppose that you could possibly comprehend that concept, though, Eh?

I understand that perfectly. But I don't own a business so that's not my business ...

Australia: 7.692 million km2, Germany: 0.357, UK: 0.243, USA: 9.63, China 9.59, Canada 9.99 and then Russia: 17.0!

Russia is a very BIIIIG place and covers tens of different cultures from St. Petersburg to Steppe people and still way beyond that. I think average Russian tourists have changed for the better over the years, more families now when it used to be the get rich quick, arrogant mafia dapper don guys.

Some British tourists on the other hand...always the same trashy tattoos and with a bad attitude. It is like a tradition for some British yobs (who are nicking clapped out Fiestas back home), to start a bar fight, just for the kicks.

• Like 1

Russian culture is not more or less distinctive than German culture, French culture, Spanish culture, Hungarian culture.

Russian are not better or worse than any others. There are Russian University Professors who speak several languages and there are low class drug abuser.

Russians are different, like in every country.

Thanks, H90. Best answer.

Russians are Westerners by their culture.

By region they are everything from Westerners to far east.

I think your description is way too simplistic.

The question whether Russia is part of the Western world has plagued
Russian intellectuals and Western observers alike for the past two centuries.

http://www.risingpowersinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/gvosdev2.pdf

Also recently in embracing the strong man leader Putin Russia has endorsed cultural separation from the west especially in modern issues such as advancing gay civil rights. If you read up on this issue, there is lots of rhetoric saying we are NOT the west and we don't accept the values of the west.

Well that means he has a lot in common with the US Mid-West and South, so not sure where you are going with that argument.

part are decent people.

I second that opinionclap2.gif

since when are ukrainians called russians? ~~Stick a sock in it! Don't be such a nit-picking jerk coffee1.gif

Try back when the USSR was in place. Back then many of us in the "West"

gave the entire region the generic term Russians. This was wrong of course

and today one wouldn't want to call a Ukrainian a Russian and expect to

walk away unarmed. Perhaps I should have clarified these distinctions in

my post. No harm meant or implied.

Personally, I see no reason for you to clarify the distinctions, at all. The average Ukrainian, recognizing your lack regional knowledge, would never physically confront you. They might instead attempt to give you an "ethnic" information update, for your dbase repertoire. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I've also been there, done that, and have the T-shirt to prove it. Cheers thumbsup.gif

Russians are Westerners by their culture.

By region they are everything from Westerners to far east.

I think your description is way too simplistic.

The question whether Russia is part of the Western world has plagued
Russian intellectuals and Western observers alike for the past two centuries.

http://www.risingpowersinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/gvosdev2.pdf

Also recently in embracing the strong man leader Putin Russia has endorsed cultural separation from the west especially in modern issues such as advancing gay civil rights. If you read up on this issue, there is lots of rhetoric saying we are NOT the west and we don't accept the values of the west.

Well that means he has a lot in common with the US Mid-West and South, so not sure where you are going with that argument.

Americans don't assert that they are separate from Western culture but Russians do. That's where I was going.

I went on a tour boat one day and a majority of the tourists were russian. Perhaps it was a culture thing but i found them to be very rude by north american standards.

Do north american and russian peoples mix well...i would have to say no.

I understand that perfectly. But I don't own a business so that's not my business ...

Sigh whistling.gif

For all intents and purposes, a lot of Russians are "Westerners"wink.png

Most of the Russian tourists in Pattaya, not so much ...

Seriously, doesn't Russia pride itself on being separate from the west?

I've spent quite a bit of time in Russia and have many, many Russian friends, and I've found it to be just the opposite. They generally pride themselves as being Westerners. Their hero is Peter, and that is because he dragged Russia into modern Europe.

I do agree with that.

I would even go further, Russians think of themselves as white westerners, hence the widespread racist stance in Russia.

Somewhere it was said they are Xenophobic - that is not so true - but a large part of Russian "base" population is patriotic and racist.

My feeling is that white caucasian foreigners have a better stance in Russia than naturalized Russians originating from Georgia or from

Muslim Central Asian republics. t's not xenophobia, it's definitely racism.

• Like 1