Moving to Thailand as 'adventure' or planning it out

MrHammer

i lived in many places around the world and even some strange ones which appears in the first place as "adventure" but after a wile it is just daily routine even there is a lion behind your house,a black mamba crossing the street or some kid's with a AK 47 in their hands wishing you a good morning( or not)... it does'nt matter where you go the question is for how long.as longer you stay as less adventure.the only adventures here are for me the daily traffic,the so called"food" and if my beloved wife "plan" something in a timely manner,number of places to visit and a exactly number of fellows who will joining us...

There is no doubt that there have been many dreams shattered from people moving to Thailand, but I'm pretty sure the same sort of stories are abundant from many countries in the world. A few points that I would like to be considered before any permanent move is considered:

1. Do not base your expectations on holidays whether single or multiple. Living in Thailand is vastly different (for most people) than it is while visiting. One great holiday shouldn't be the benchmark for your future.

2. Until you are certain of your choice, do not commit immediately. Rent before you buy.

3. Do the maths properly. Make sure your finances are in order and are sufficient to last.

4. Never, ever, burn all your bridges. The life of an expat is not for everyone, and unfortunately a lot of people find out too late that the term 'homesick' actually means something.

5. If retiring, make sure you have a hobby, something to occupy your mind. The path to drink, drugs and other goodies is very slippery.

None of the above were followed by me. What started out as a '6 months off' holiday has lasted me living in this country for the last 16 years, no planning what-so-ever. And loving every minute of it. The above list is from observation of others.

As some posters have mentioned, each individual is different and therefore different criteria exists for each case. If you are not enjoying it, you are doing it wrong......................thumbsup.gif

• Like 1