Boat Show at Ocean Marina, worth the drive from BKK?

impulse

Thinking about driving down to see the boat show at Ocean Marina this weekend.

More interested in the smaller, lower end of boating than ogling the rich guys' toys. That means smaller sailboats, dinghies, kayaks, and the ancillary stuff that costs less than a mortgage.

Worth the drive from downtown BKK?

Also interested in any impressions you may have.

Thanks for telling us this, I will take my family there later today and have a look as we live in Pattaya.

Check this link, looks like last years boat show was quite impressive and I bet it's even better this year.

http://www.oceanmarinaboatshow.com/index.php

Thanks for the link. Let us know your impressions.

Off to BITEC today for a Machinery Trade Show, but tomorrow may be a good day for a trip to Ocean Marina?

I went there yesterday, and enjoyed it , it is a good venue, however it is a fairly small show and you can pretty much see everything in little over an hour or so, so I'm not sure it's really worth travelling all the way from Bangkok for, now if you were more local then I would definitely recommend it.

That said there were one or two displays with Kayaks and Dinghies, but in reality it is mainly a high end boat show for the "yatchtie" set.

What is the cost of owning a yacht in Pattaya ?

They reckon the annual costs of owning a yacht is around 10 to 15% of the purchase price, not for the faint hearted.

Just came home from the yacht show.

Yes as diggerdo says a quite small venue, we spend about 2 hours there and was on board a 11 mill baht motor yacht.

I was surprised so little you get for your money yacht wise, lol.

The real big yachts you can't board, they only show them on appointment.

Oddly enough there are also Lamborghini's, Porsche's, Harley's and Ducati's on display, well I guess people who can afford spending 10-20 mill baht on a yacht can also afford buying nice wheels, he-he.

All in all I enjoyed it and the 200 baht hot dog was good toobiggrin.png

Thanks for telling us this, I will take my family there later today and have a look as we live in Pattaya.

Check this link, looks like last years boat show was quite impressive and I bet it's even better this year.

Off to BITEC today for a Machinery Trade Show, but tomorrow may be a good day for a trip to Ocean Marina?

Agree with the above posts. It's a great show to see if you are in the area. I went last year and there are a few kayaks and dinghies to look at. We had fun.

If you do visit, let me know and I'll meet you down there.

There is also long boat racing at Maprachan and Pro Series car racing at Bira, so even if the boat show dont take long then still plenty for a day out to make the trip worthwhile

• Like 1

There is also long boat racing at Maprachan and Pro Series car racing at Bira, so even if the boat show dont take long then still plenty for a day out to make the trip worthwhile

Wish I had known about the boat races.

Are those Long Dragon Boats (rowed) or Longtail boats (power)? I'd have come down just for the boat races if they're longtail boats. I've been wanting to watch some longtail boat races, but never can find them until someone posts pictures after the fact.

Unfortunately, problems at work have glued me to the computer screen for most of the weekend, with only short breaks for the necessaries here in BKK. If I'd known about longtail boat races, I'd have fired up the netbook and headed down anyway.

Any other impressions of the boat show, the boat races, or BIRA races would be welcome.

Are those Long Dragon Boats (rowed) or Longtail boats (power)? I'd have come down just for the boat races if they're longtail boats. I've been wanting to watch some longtail boat races, but never can find them until someone posts pictures after the fact.

You're joking right?!

You're joking right?!

Nope.