How much do you tip a caddy?

scubascuba3

If I had a choice I wouldn't have a caddy, I don't have one in the UK and don't need one here. So not only do I resent having a caddy which I've paid for 300 baht but then its compulsory to tip another 300ish baht.

I realise it keeps them in a job I guess and yes some are better than others etc etc.Yes I realise they need it to live on.

Does anyone not tip or pay less tip?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always tip 300 unless very good then maybe more and book them in the future. Having caddies is just part of the cost of playing here. I also would prefer to not have one on courses I have played a number of times but this is not an option. Since you must pay it is best to at least get a good one. If a visitor playing through bar societies or tour groups, you can always ask someone for a caddy recommendation if you don't have any previous experience at that course.

• Like 1

It is incredible what Farangs find to moan about in Thailand... big deal! Ask the tip, but don't moan how tough life is.... In the Philippines you must have a caddy and they steal your clubs.... I have golfed in Chiang Mai for 14 years and I have never had one problem.

I tip 300 and that seems to be the standard tip in Chiang Mai, but in Phuket and the likes they look for more as they are spoiled.

The wage of a semi skilled Burmese worker in Chiang Mai is now 700 baht a day and since the caddies are not out every day on average..on some courses only 2 times a week.. if you don't tip them..well you basically deserve something very bad to happen to you. It hardly ever happens, so please just realise.

I normally pay 300 B to my regular caddy, who is a very good caddy, but if I end up with a 'Bag Puller' that is totally disinterested I will sometimes only give 200 B as a tip and make damn sure that I take there caddy number so I don't end up using them again. The converse can apply where you get a very good caddy, who does show interest and knowledge and you try and book them when you next visit this course.

Unfortunately, as a previous poster has said, it is mandatory to use a caddy here in Thailand; but that is just the way it is - like it or lump it!

Though it's the best thing to do, you're not really obligated to tip them or to tip any specific amount. They already get paid from the caddy fee you pay. Also, the minimum salary these days is 9000 baht a month. I like to give plenty of tip, I always have, but it's not like you're insulting anyone by tipping them 100-150 either. Thai people often don't tip at all or limit it to very small tip amounts.

I tip 300 in Pattaya and play 3 times a week. . Have a regular caddy that I sms in the morning and she organises the caddies for the group that are playing. She knows all our regulars and keeps them in line for us. I might tip an extra 100 if she is able to use her Julius Marlow wedge without being seen whistling.gif .

She always buys me a Birthday present. This year it was a polo shirt and a cap. She also gets me brand new Srixon balls for 150B a dozen, still in the box. Not sure which truck they fell off, don't really care.

I reckon caddies make the day more fun, even if you're playing serious golf. They're always up for a laugh.

We occasionally get a "trolley dragger" if one of our regulars is away or sick. After two holes, if it's evident they're lazy or not willing to participate, we just tell my caddy (she's sort of the camp leader) that this particular caddy is no good so please send her back and get a replacement. This has happened twice with no problems and no hard feelings.

• Like 2

Though it's the best thing to do, you're not really obligated to tip them or to tip any specific amount. They already get paid from the caddy fee you pay. Also, the minimum salary these days is 9000 baht a month. I like to give plenty of tip, I always have, but it's not like you're insulting anyone by tipping them 100-150 either. Thai people often don't tip at all or limit it to very small tip amounts.

Too small a tip is taken as an insult.

But hey, depends if you get a BJ out in the rough

Pattaya, my group, friends and myself: 200 if I am really unhappy. 250 the norm. 300 for a very good caddie, doesnt happen often. Never had any problems, I wonder that so many ppl tip 300 as standard.

Had a mate that tipped 200 for his semi-regular caddy. He wondered why he couldn't get her every time. Obviously if she had a choice of getting a customer before he arrived that she knew would tip 300, she'd take that customer instead of him.

If I were her, I'd do the same.

never golfed in Thailand so this is a bit new to me. i have a couple questions if you would be so kind. (sincerely)

1) do you need to have a caddy in all courses in Thailand?

2) i notice the word "she" a few times but never "he." are they always female?

3) if yes to questions 2, do they actually advise or are they just there to pull you clubs (no pun intended) and something to stare at.

Sorry if number 3 is a bit sexist, but most women I know dont really know much about golf, and its an all female thing then it sounds a bit like knowledge of the games is not the primary concern.

• Like 1

never golfed in Thailand so this is a bit new to me. i have a couple questions if you would be so kind. (sincerely)

2) i notice the word "she" a few times but never "he." are they always female?

3) if yes to questions 2, do they actually advise or are they just there to pull you clubs (no pun intended) and something to stare at.

Sorry if number 3 is a bit sexist, but most women I know dont really know much about golf, and its an all female thing then it sounds a bit like knowledge of the games is not the primary concern.

1. If there are caddies at the course, a Falang must use one. Some courses (small rural or navy) don't have them, you can drag your own trolley which they supply.

2. Yes there are some males, but reasonably rare. Usually on the bigger pro courses.

3. My girl caddy is excellent. She pulls clubs, advises me, tells me to calm down and play safe, reminds me of the wind and that I better use the 7 and not the 8, can pick a really good putting line and is tuned in to my pace of putting, cleans my shoes, cleans the heads every week with water and a brush, puts the bag in the truck, organises other caddies for the group, makes sure we jump the queue if she can get away with it, sells me new balls really cheap.....she can actually play a fair game of golf herself. If she was half way decent looking I'd marry her, but she's got a face only a mother could love. biggrin.png

My mates have found that you're best to try a few caddies and pick one you like as a regular. The better they know you, the more fun they are, the better job they do, the more they want to retain you as a regular customer, the more they are tuned into your game, the more help they can give you. They're not going to help you fix your slice, but a good one can make a difference to your game.

The guys that go for the prettiest one, or the cutest body, and change caddies every week are usually not satisfied with them as caddies and get no real help with their game.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

This has been done to death on this forum use the search function

So, what? Nobody forced you to click and read this topic ... and make a rude comment. If you see a topic that doesn't interest you then just ignore it and move on.

Totally agree with you herbaled, what is the problem with doing a subject to death. Gives us on tv something to do all day. I just cant wait to get back to the widening of beach road. Search function should be deleted.

• Like 1

I've started playing again in north-east Isan. I have paid the caddy fee and asked at the desk how much the tip is. Only one didn't tell me and usually they have said 200 after paying a fee of about 200. I guess it's cheaper up here but if they're good I give extra. I think it's not just the caddy I had but if they know your face as another poster said you will maybe get a better service from them (no pun intended)if they know you are a decent tipper.

About 9 years ago when I lived in CM the caddy had to pay a fee for the trolley!!! I thought very strange but then playing the same course I always had the same caddy and I agree with a previous poster she was always better than one I didn't know. Oh yes cute ass did help and when I holed a 7 iron shot one day she pushed me over and gave me hug. My mates thought it was hilarious but it was all in good fun. Sometimes we went out for dinner after which was nice as well. Just dinner before anybody posts anything, well there were exceptions occasionally.

never golfed in Thailand so this is a bit new to me.  i have a couple questions if you would be so kind. (sincerely)

2) i notice the word "she" a few times but never "he."  are they always female?

Sorry if number 3 is a bit sexist, but most women I know dont really know much about golf,  and its an all female thing then it sounds a bit like knowledge of the games is not the primary concern.

I played Plutaluang Navy course yesterday, we had 2 male caddies, who carried, one was very good, not mine unfortunately, he had a 5 handicap so knew when cutting a corner off or switch to iron or 3 wood off the tee was sensible. My one was pretty poor, he tried though, I gave him 270 baht, previously I've always given 300. If everyone gives 300 there is little motivation for them to improve.

For starters I think they should learn key words like water, towel, 56, 52, etc, that should take one hour max, sadly they aren't interested. Some are not too bad.

And before you say how much Thai have I learned, if you are working in the tourist industry and deal with tourists day in day out at least learn key words. Hotel reception staff aren't much better

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You seriously think caddies get a salary ,9K,on top of caddy fees and tips.The Thai's most certainly do tip, at least the many that I have known over the years.

Most courses up here in Chiangmai have a minimum tip posted at reception from THB200 up depending on the course so on that basis 100 -150 seems pretty insulting to me?

• Like 1