Bikers encouraged to wear helmets: Thailand

webfact

Bikers encouraged to wear helmets

BANGKOK, 23 Nov 2013 (NNT) – The Thai Health Promotion Foundation has launched a campaign encouraging the use of helmets in order to raise awareness among motorcyclists, with an aim to reduce road fatalities.

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation has revealed that there is at least 1 road fatality every hour in Thailand caused by accidents involving motorcyclists lacking helmets. Therefore, the Thai Health Promotion Foundation is cooperating with 26 organizations to promote 100 percent helmet use among motorcyclists, with an aim to reduce the number of deaths.

Statistics compiled by the Thai Roads Foundation showed that 44 percent of bikers in the country wore helmets in 2010, 46 percent in 2011, and only 43 percent in 2012.

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation further disclosed that 2 out of 3 people in the working class fall victims to road accidents while commuting by motorcycles.

Earlier, the government announced its intention to reduce road fatality rates to less than 10 in 100,000 within the year 2020.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-23 footer_n.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it count if they have one lashed down to the bike, then veer over through traffic to put it on when they see a roadblock?

In another observation this week, I was pulling out of a hospital parking lot when - obviously a head injury patient and a passenger on a motosai - veered in front of me to pull out into traffic. Poor passenger's head was so bandaged up from the previous headplant that a helmet wouldn't fit. You'd think he'd call a taxi.

• Like 2

I dont think this will change anything as the lack of wearing helmet is in the mentality. A better police control ( without bribes if possible) would be more effective. I dont remember in Vietnam seeing anyone ( at least in HCMC) without helmet....

It took the Vietnamese some years, but in 2007 they finally enacted a tougher law and now there is virtually 100% compliance throughout the country, an amazing feat which is rather unexpected for a country where motorists (including motorcycles) just drive anyway they want. However, in Thailand's case, they could really learn how to be tough and thus enforce the same set of standards as in Vietnam, including more enforcement and tougher fines without any possibility of taking bribes, certainly not ridiculously low ones like 100 Baht. In Vietnam, people are poorer than in Thailand yet the minimum fines (or bribes) for traffic offenses are usually no less than about 200,000 Dong (about 300 Baht or US$10).

LOS did raise the fine for no helmet, plus passengers must wear one,BUT, nobody cares, especially the guys who should enforce it. sad.png

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation further disclosed that 2 out of 3 people in the working class fall victims to road accidents while commuting by motorcycles

In a lot of cases you could put " fall culprit" to road accidents.

If there was ever a perfect example of the use of " tough sh*t" then a lot of the accidents involving motorcycles would be it.

"The Thai Health Promotion Foundation has launched a campaign encouraging the use of helmets..."

Like they encourage not to murder, scam, steal, lie, and every other crime. Perhaps if all these laws were uniformly and adequately enforced there would be no need for such a ridiculous campaign. Begging people who don't have the awareness to look out for their own safety is useless.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

"The Thai Health Promotion Foundation has launched a campaign encouraging the use of helmets..."

Like they encourage not to murder, scam, steal, lie, and every other crime. Perhaps if all these laws were uniformly and adequately enforced there would be no need for such a ridiculous campaign. Begging people who don't have the awareness to look out for their own safety is useless.

And begging the police to do their job full time instead of when it suits them.......sad.png

"The fine" is 400 baht, typically settled for a fraction of that, at the scene.

Thought it went up to 1000bht. But as you say, corruption rules, not saving lives. sad.png

May have. Wouldn't know. I always wear my helmet. Like I tell my wife, when the head hits a car, or the road, it doesn't matter how far from home one is! All my "violations" have involved the wrong lane fleece job.

Funny anecdote:

I was once actually cited for using a restricted flyover. Went to the station to pay my fine. While there, a kid comes in to pay his ticket. The clerk took the ticket, scribble something on it and told the kid that he already paid a ticket earlier that morning; one is enough!

I dont think this will change anything as the lack of wearing helmet is in the mentality. A better police control ( without bribes if possible) would be more effective. I dont remember in Vietnam seeing anyone ( at least in HCMC) without helmet....

It took the Vietnamese some years, but in 2007 they finally enacted a tougher law and now there is virtually 100% compliance throughout the country, an amazing feat which is rather unexpected for a country where motorists (including motorcycles) just drive anyway they want. However, in Thailand's case, they could really learn how to be tough and thus enforce the same set of standards as in Vietnam, including more enforcement and tougher fines without any possibility of taking bribes, certainly not ridiculously low ones like 100 Baht. In Vietnam, people are poorer than in Thailand yet the minimum fines (or bribes) for traffic offenses are usually no less than about 200,000 Dong (about 300 Baht or US$10).

LOS did raise the fine for no helmet, plus passengers must wear one,BUT, nobody cares, especially the guys who should enforce it. sad.png

They often don't abide by it themselves.

Even those who do wear a helmet they are mostly the cheap plastic polytype and about as effective as a baseball cap and will fall off in an accident anyway as they never do the chin strap up. Be better off wearing an inflatable helmet !

Perhaps they should put graphic images of serious head injuries on new motorcycles - that'll stop them

Earlier, the government announced its intention to reduce road fatality rates to less than 10 in 100,000 within the year 2020.

Unfortunately the govt will probably wait until 2019 to initiate the safety program; until then it's all talk. And please have the correct change when the police stop you otherwise they may have to issue a ticket.

Bla, bla,bla. I am a motorcyclist, I wear a helmet. Get a taxi motorcycle sometimes, can I have a helmet, pleases? Mai pen rai, dumlooud mai jub. Still want a helmet, dirty or otherwise. Practise what I preach and all that. If the bib would just charge 500 baht and give a genuine ticket to those not wearing a helmet Thailand would have a lot more dosh. Arr, but now what do we do about the babies in mother's arms, or mum and dad with helmets, undone, of course with their little Somchai shoved in the middle. Makes my blood boil, so it does!

Thailand would have a lot more dosh???????????????????????????????? Every cop would own a Beemer more like.

My wife's daughter suffered a fractured skull some 5 years ago yet she still doesn't wear a helmet. On two occasions I have provided a chain and lock so that the wreck of a motor bike she and her latest 'husband' use doesn't get stolen. It gets lost after 48 hours. I've given up and certainly wont be reaching into my pocket when the inevitable happens.

• Like 1

I don't believe the police wants to enforce the rules.

I see very often see roadblocks, usually at the same place, people passing there are people going to work, probably always the same people.

Very few people put on a helmet, even they must get caught very often.

People have accepted to pay once or twice per week 50 or 100B in exchange for the right not to put on a helmet.

The police is perfectly happy with this, because it's a fixed extra income. People are also OK with it, because it's just a small amount to pay.

If people would get real fines and started use a helmet, the extra income of the police would disappear ... I am sure they (the police) don't want that.

Further on, people riding motorcycles are working class people, they are easy to get money from ... you wouldn't want to stop a guy in a mercedes.

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1