Change from retirement visa 1 year visa to marriage visa possible?

Hi there,

Since 1990 I have been on a retirement non-immigrant type O visa (from before I was married).

Because the financial rules are quite different I would like to change my 1 yearly type O visa to marriage type O-A.

Is this possible and if yes how to proceed without provoking too much fuss.

Reason for this is I would like to diminish the amount of 800.000 ThB that is now tied up in a separate account, because if something happens to me this account will be blocked, andit can take months and lots of paperwork before my family can gain access to it>

Thanks beforehand

Yermanee wai.gif

No problem to change reason for extension to live with your wife instead of retirement.

Just be sure you reduce your bank balance to below 800k at least 60 days before you do the application.

If I can indeed change to marriage extension of stay I would not need the 800.000 in the bank since I have a certified income of well over the required 40.000 per month, but just below the required 65.000 Baht/monthly hence the 800.000 which I want to avoid for above stated reasons. FYI I have other income which cannot be certified by my Embassy.

Thanks

Yermanee wai.gif

Don't forget you have the option of combining yearly income and money in the bank in Thailand. If that combined is 800,000 you can still get your extension based on retirement, which is a lot less paperwork.

Ref Mario's "paperwork" comment, you should bear in mind that marriage extensions are not processed on the spot in your local immigration office, unlike retirement ones. Instead you will be given a 30-day "under consideration" stamp while your application is referred up the line for approval by the local Immigration Chief. You will then be expected to return to your local immigration office at the end of this period in order for your passport to be stamped for the rest of the extension period.

In addition, you will need to include with each application several recently-taken photos of you and your wife together, along with a detailed map showing the way from the immigration office to where you live. You and your wife will then be subject to unannounced visits from immigration officials to check your marital status. As part of this process they will also expect to interview several of your neighbours.

I, too, am living here under retirement extensions but also have the option of extending my stay by virtue of marriage. However, in view of the resultant hassle, I would only be prepared to contemplate a change were the GBP's value against the THB to plunge dramatically.

• Like 1

Don't forget you have the option of combining yearly income and money in the bank in Thailand. If that combined is 800,000 you can still get your extension based on retirement, which is a lot less paperwork.

Ref Mario's "paperwork" comment, you should bear in mind that marriage extensions are not processed on the spot in your local immigration office, unlike retirement ones. Instead you will be given a 30-day "under consideration" stamp while your application is referred up the line for approval by the local Immigration Chief. You will then be expected to return to your local immigration office at the end of this period in order for your passport to be stamped for the rest of the extension period.

In addition, you will need to include with each application several recently-taken photos of you and your wife together, along with a detailed map showing the way from the immigration office to where you live. You and your wife will then be subject to unannounced visits from immigration officials to check your marital status. As part of this process they will also expect to interview several of your neighbours.

I, too, am living here under retirement extensions but also have the option of extending my stay by virtue of marriage. However, in view of the resultant hassle, I would only be prepared to contemplate a change were the GBP's value against the THB to plunge dramatically.

Yes there is a trip back to immigration needed after 30 day but is that and the additional paperwork/photos worth an additional 400k baht in the bank or 25k additional income or needing money in the bank to make up the income short fall?

There is only a possible home visit for the first extension and they will call first to arrange it. The remainder of your post about visits is hearsay and is not based on facts.

I have done 6 extensions based upon marriage using the income method and can say that it is not worth the additional financial proof to change to one based upon retirement.

"Reason for this is I would like to diminish the amount of 800.000 ThB that is now tied up in a separate account, because if something happens to me this account will be blocked, andit can take months and lots of paperwork before my family can gain access to it>"

Would not having a Thai will at least mitigate the financial inconvenience for your family in such a situation, even if not entirely eliminate it?

yes i do the same a lot better!