American Embassy Income Letter

Say my current retirement based extension of stay expires in May of next year. Rather than maintaining bank funds, each year I obtain the required letter via the American Embassy to show my monthly/yearly income.

The American Embassy road show will travel to a town close to me in January. In light of the May expiration/renewal date, will an American Embassy income letter dated January be a bit too premature?

Thank you.

It will be an income affidavit that you do at the embassy. The rule is that they can be up to 6 months old and still be accepted.

Ubonjoe, I always greatly appreciate your insight and expertise. You really know your stuff and your willingness to share your knowledge makes you, in my eyes, the go to guy for all my visa questions.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have heard that because the American embassies will issue the affidavit without proof, that sometimes Thai immigration requires proof. Is that true?

If so and you are in Thailand and your bank(s) are in the US, what proof do you need? Are statement printouts from your computer sufficient, or do you need a letter from your US bank and statement copies?

Thanks

It will be an income affidavit that you do at the embassy. The rule is that they can be up to 6 months old and still be accepted.

Ubonjoe, I always greatly appreciate your insight and expertise. You really know your stuff and your willingness to share your knowledge makes you, in my eyes, the go to guy for all my visa questions.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks I just try my best to help.

When you get ready to do your affidavit you can fill it out and by using the link you can find here. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html

I am waiting to see if/when they are going to do an outreach here next year. In the past the one and only one was in January but it is not on list for then. Hoping for March or later so that it is within 6 months of my extension date.

I have heard that because the American embassies will issue the affidavit without proof, that sometimes Thai immigration requires proof. Is that true?

If so and you are in Thailand and your bank(s) are in the US, what proof do you need? Are statement printouts from your computer sufficient, or do you need a letter from your US bank and statement copies?

Thanks

Phuket is the only office I know of from reports that is asking for proof. It has been reported they want a letter from your bank confirming withdrawals along with statements.
  • Like 1

Thanks

No and I have never met someone who was asked. I have been doing the US letter for several years. But I do take my proof with me just in case. Copies of my social security statement, Army retired pay statement and my VA disability benefits statement along with all my Thai Bank books. They can ask for [roof from any one and just not Americans.

Yes, I also bring along my SS statement, pension info and a copy of distribution statement from my IRA custodian, all of which total to the amount I claimed on the Embassy affidavit. I also bring Thai bank passbook copies & letter from the bank manager that includes current balance and foreign sourced deposits during the preceding 3 months. Rather be over-prepared than have to scurry around for more documentation at the last minute ... though so far none of the backup information has been required.

If the O/P's extension expires in May he can apply for the renewal 30 to 45 days early depending on the office he uses, so using a letter dated in January for an application made in April should be no problem.

Thanks

This has been true for me for the last two years . I have had to have the income letter and they now request a letter from my pension company as well . This is on a ext based on marrage

• Like 1

Thanks

This has been true for me for the last two years . I have had to have the income letter and they now request a letter from my pension company as well . This is on a ext based on marrage

I think that it is imperative that when anyone posts their experience of NOT having to show additional income proof OR OTHERWISE, that they should include the Immigration jurisdiction where that specific experience has been gained.

As far as we know, Phuket is the only Immigration office asking for further proof. Are you in Phuket BB1955?

That would help to know where you are doing extensions. I think BB1955 is in Chiang Mai since he has made several posts on that forum. I can recall CM immigration wanting back up proof in the past but nothing recent.

I think where I do my extensions would be obvious from my name.

• Like 1

Thanks

No and I have never met someone who was asked.  I have been doing the US letter for several years.  But I do take my proof with me just in case. Copies of my social security statement, Army retired pay statement and my VA disability benefits statement along with all my Thai Bank books. They can ask for [roof from any one and just not Americans.

Yes, I also bring along my SS statement, pension info and a copy of distribution statement from my IRA custodian, all of which total to the amount I claimed on the Embassy affidavit. I also bring Thai bank passbook copies & letter from the bank manager that includes current balance and foreign sourced deposits during the preceding 3 months. Rather be over-prepared than have to scurry around for more documentation at the last minute ... though so far none of the backup information has been required. 

If the O/P's extension expires in May he can apply for the renewal 30 to 45 days early depending on the office he uses, so using a letter dated in January for an application made in April should be no problem.

I think you are overdoing it a bit with the bank letters. Your bank book alone would be enough as long as it shows transfers in (FTT code).

I have my bank book in my bag all the time that I could show them.

I don't suggest ever giving them more than is needed.

• Like 1

I use the Nakhon Sawan office which reports to CM. Although they still only require the bank letter without any additional proof, the officer there has told me that CM are "having problems with the letters" and are requiring additional information in addition to the letters. I think that it was a "heads up" about future requirements but I just did mine in October and she only asked for the letter

Can do with outreach.  Did it last year in Udon.
True but only if it is within 6 months of when you make your application.

Last year many offices were wanting it within 30 days.

Rule was changed to 15 days then after US embassy got involved it was changed officially to 6 months earlier this year.

• Like 1

Six extensions using income affidavit and have never been asked to show anything else.

Usually no proof is required. but it is always possible that immigration may request to see further proof. It is their option, they aleays can request further proof if they think it needed.

They have never asked me either for any proof in any of my 3 yearly renewals.

Just in case, however, I normally get a statement from the Social Security Administration in the U.S. that shows my Social Security momthly pension and also one that shows my yearly income amount for that year (the one you send to the IRS to show how much you "earned" from Social Security for tax purposes).

I've never had to use them, but I carry them with me to immigration just in case.

You can have them sent to your thailand address if you request them on-line from the SSA site.

Give yourself enough time, it takes about 30 days to get mail at your Thai miling address .... if it arrives at all.

My yearly retirement renewal is in October, and I normally make a trip back to the U.S. to visit my brothers and sister in July or August anyhow, so i use that time to visit the Social Security office and get another yearly statement of my benefits ... just in case the immigration here ever asks.

Maybe not really needed, but I prefer to have it just in case I am asked.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Six extensions using income affidavit and have never been asked to show anything else.

Usually no proof is required. but it is always possible that immigration may request to see further proof. It is their option, they aleays can request further proof if they think it needed.

They have never asked me either for any proof in any of my 3 yearly renewals.

Just in case, however, I normally get a statement from the Social Security Administration in the U.S. that shows my Social Security momthly pension and also one that shows my yearly income amount for that year (the one you send to the IRS to show how much you "earned" from Social Security for tax purposes).

I've never had to use them, but I carry them with me to immigration  just in case.

You can have them sent to your thailand address if you request them on-line from the SSA site.

Give yourself enough time, it takes about 30 days to get mail at your Thai miling address .... if it arrives at all.

My yearly retirement renewal is in October, and I normally make a trip back to the U.S. to visit my brothers and sister in July or August anyhow, so i use that time to visit the Social Security office and get another yearly statement of my benefits ... just in case the immigration here ever asks.

Maybe not really needed, but I prefer to have it just in case I am asked.

I get my statement and all other correspondense here already because I applied here and live here.

I am also not allowed to access the online services because I live here.

As I stated before I have a bank book that shows my money coming in every month with the FTT code. That should be more than enough for immigration If they ever ask.

Can do with outreach. Did it last year in Udon.
True but only if it is within 6 months of when you make your application.

Last year many offices were wanting it within 30 days.

Rule was changed to 15 days then after US embassy got involved it was changed officially to 6 months earlier this year.

I see.......last year mine expired within 30 days, I was unable to get everything done. No sweat next time...and glad they changed it to six months. Retirement pay does not usually go down....so I don't see why they ever put the 30 then 15 day limit. Made it quite difficult. Happy it has been sorted out.

It would be great if they would just finally admit that most Retirees contribute so much to the Economy...especially up here in Udon (where cash flow for property/housing is necessary for the economy) by putting there cash in the banks and having their wives by land for themselves. Glad I got a place to rest my head....

Perhaps we can one day just get some kind of deferral from the Immigration Red Tape.

Just a bunch of rich old buffalos trying to settle down...

Just because the validity of the letter is 6 months doesn't mean that the immigration office that you are dealing with will accept a letter issued that far in advance. You are always at the mercy of the officer that you are dealing with and the rules that have been put in place by his superiors. As an example, most offices accept the letter without backup, but some don't. I always get mine just before my renewal just to avoid any problems and have backup with me just in case but have never had to provide it.

Is the validity the same for letters from all countries?

Yes

But I would never get one that early unless you were at your embassy or consulate and you have made a long trip to get there already. Things can change in 6 months.

Thanks -- I'll try it when I go next time and I'll report back. It means that someone can get a conversion to O *and* their first extension 3 months later -- all with the same letter of income. :)

Just because the validity of the letter is 6 months doesn't mean that the immigration office that you are dealing with will accept a letter issued that far in advance. You are always at the mercy of the officer that you are dealing with and the rules that have been put in place by his superiors. As an example, most offices accept the letter without backup, but some don't. I always get mine just before my renewal just to avoid any problems and have backup with me just in case but have never had to provide it.

Point taken: As I have mentioned somewhere else in here, my immigration officer wanted to see the original of my governments letter to me saying I was on a pension, but he wasn't interested in anything to backup the income letter. I did have bank statements, etc in my bag ready, just in case. ;)

One general point when dealing with immigration (and other) officials is that in my experience they generally want only what is laid down in their rules -- nothing more. Overloading them is very unhelpful. Better he has to ask you for what he wants and you produce it fom your bag without having to dash off to the copier/photographer/whatever. In other words - go well prepared. :)

• Like 1

Is the validity the same for letters from all countries?

Yes

But I would never get one that early unless you were at your embassy or consulate and you have made a long trip to get there already. Things can change in 6 months.

Thanks -- I'll try it when I go next time and I'll report back. It means that someone can get a conversion to O *and* their first extension 3 months later -- all with the same letter of income. smile.png

Point taken: As I have mentioned somewhere else in here, my immigration officer wanted to see the original of my governments letter to me saying I was on a pension, but he wasn't interested in anything to backup the income letter. I did have bank statements, etc in my bag ready, just in case. wink.png

One general point when dealing with immigration (and other) officials is that in my experience they generally want only what is laid down in their rules -- nothing more. Overloading them is very unhelpful. Better he has to ask you for what he wants and you produce it fom your bag without having to dash off to the copier/photographer/whatever. In other words - go well prepared. smile.png

Always keep a few aces tucked away, excellent point. That goes with almost everything you deal with.

Thanks -- I'll try it when I go next time and I'll report back. It means that someone can get a conversion to O *and* their first extension 3 months later -- all with the same letter of income. smile.png

Usually, they keep the letter when the conversion is made, so you need a 2nd letter when the extension is made, no?

tbh - I am not sure, but I will try with copies of the first letter and maybe they will accept that on the basis that they already have the original on file. If not - no big deal to get another letter. :) I'll let you know in January ;)

Thanks

No and I have never met someone who was asked. I have been doing the US letter for several years. But I do take my proof with me just in case. Copies of my social security statement, Army retired pay statement and my VA disability benefits statement along with all my Thai Bank books. They can ask for [roof from any one and just not Americans.

do you use copies or ORIGINALS of your statements? such an ez ? yet so hard to get an answer..........lol.