News_Editor

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could Scotland go back to the groat?

George Osborne as firmly said that a vote to leave the UK is a vote to leave the UK pound, ruling out a currency and monetary union

If Scotland votes to become an independent country in seven months, the SNP had said that it prefers to keep the pound and have a monetary union with the rest of the UK.

That option’s now off the table. So where does that leave the SNP, and what would happen if Scotland does go independent?

http://ampp3d.mirror.co.uk/2014/02/13/could-scotland-go-back-to-the-groat/

Sheep & groat if you ask me

• Like 1

George Osborne as firmly said that a vote to leave the UK is a vote to leave the UK pound, ruling out a currency and monetary union

If Scotland votes to become an independent country in seven months, the SNP had said that it prefers to keep the pound and have a monetary union with the rest of the UK.

That option’s now off the table. So where does that leave the SNP, and what would happen if Scotland does go independent?

Garbage article likewise the daily express and their two different versions of pensions, the rest of uk can stay and get their pants ripped down I hope we see the sense and bin this so called union.

Salmond is risking so much for no gain at all

Alex Salmond chose St George's Day to say the relationship between Scotland and England would continue and even flourish if Scotland broke away from the United Kingdom. So there we have it, in a nutshell. Nationalists will encourage Scotland to press for a divorce from England, and the rest of the UK, and they will all be better friends once it goes through.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/salmond-is-risking-so-much-for-no-gain-at-all.24033726?utm_source=www.heraldscotland.com&utm_medium=RSS%20Feed&utm_campaign=HeraldScotland%20Comment

Salmond is risking so much for no gain at all

Alex Salmond chose St George's Day to say the relationship between Scotland and England would continue and even flourish if Scotland broke away from the United Kingdom. So there we have it, in a nutshell. Nationalists will encourage Scotland to press for a divorce from England, and the rest of the UK, and they will all be better friends once it goes through.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/salmond-is-risking-so-much-for-no-gain-at-all.24033726?utm_source=www.heraldscotland.com&utm_medium=RSS%20Feed&utm_campaign=HeraldScotland%20Comment

But what the SNP says will happen, will happen according to the sheep. As an English supporter of a "Yes" vote, can I say that I do feel sorry for those Scots who have brains and can think for themselves, they are about to face a very uncertain future.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Garbage article likewise the daily express and their two different versions of pensions, the rest of uk can stay and get their pants ripped down I hope we see the sense and bin this so called union.

A bit of historical information on George Osbornes ancestors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Baronets

The Osborne Baronetcy, of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon in the County of Waterford, was created in the Baronetage of Ireland on 15 October 1629 for Richard Osborne. The second and seventh Baronets both represented County Waterford in the Irish House of Commons, the eighth Baronet represented Carysfort while the eleventh Baronet sat in Parliament for Carysfort and Enniskillen. The eleventh Baronet voted against the Act of Union in 1799 in order to retain Ireland's independence from Great Britain and, refusing Government bribes, voted against it again in 1800 when the legislation was finally enacted.[2] The current British Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rt Hon George Osborne MP, is heir apparent to the Irish baronetcy.

Edited by I Like Thai

Questions dodged rather than answered.

Not surprised.

7by7s battle cry, " Why don't you answer my questions "

Just because you don't like the answers 7 you cannot continually complain your questions are not

being answered.

WHY DON'T YOU ACCEPT THE ANSWERS?????

If you, wigontojapan or any other supporter of Scottish independence actually deigned to answer questions put, then I could either accept or argue against those answers.

So, let's have some answers instead of empty rhetoric.

People of Scotland – vote yes, and set us English free

Instead of condemning us to perpetual Tory rule, independence may reinvigorate Labour and bring us the devolution we cravehttp://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/23/scotland-vote-yes-set-english-free-independence-devolution

Don't let phuketjock or I Like Thai see this post; they say politics has nothing to do with the debate!

rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

A quote from that article

if funding were allocated on the basis of need surely a sound social democratic principle then Scotland is over-funded to the tune of some £4 billion a year; Wales is under-funded by some £300 million.

(My emphasis)

What will the government of an independent Scotland do when it loses that £4 billion p.a. of over funding from Westminster?

How will it fund the increased public spending and tax reductions promised?

More going out, less coming in; how's that going to work?

As Mr Micawber said "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery."

Perhaps Salmond should read David Copperfield!

I expect these questions will be ignored, as have all the other difficult ones.

Edited by 7by7

The Osborne Baronetcy, of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon in the County of Waterford, was created in the Baronetage of Ireland on 15 October 1629 for Richard Osborne. The second and seventh Baronets both represented County Waterford in the Irish House of Commons, the eighth Baronet represented Carysfort while the eleventh Baronet sat in Parliament for Carysfort and Enniskillen. The eleventh Baronet voted against the Act of Union in 1799 in order to retain Ireland's independence from Great Britain and, refusing Government bribes, voted against it again in 1800 when the legislation was finally enacted.[2] The current British Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rt Hon George Osborne MP, is heir apparent to the Irish baronetcy.

This is 2014, no need to go back through history, lets leave that to the Irish.or in other words to you.

This is 2014, no need to go back through history, lets leave that to the Irish.or in other words to you.

You believe that the history of the Union is irrelevant to the debate then ?

I Like Thai,

As you are someone who states that politics are irrelevant to the Scottish independence debate, I have to wonder why you think the politics of one of George Osborne's ancestors is relevant!

Consistency, please.

........460000 English men who live in Scotland........

Not the first time you have mentioned this figure.

But it's wrong.

Approximately 460,000 people (women and children as well as men) from other parts of the UK live in Scotland. That's people from Wales and Northern Ireland as well as England.

Approximately 800,000 Scots live in other parts of the UK.

The per capita flow of Scots out of Scotland to the rest of the UK is far greater than the other way!

If the rest of the UK is so bad, why do so many Scots want to live here?

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

Independent Scotland has parallels with Iceland, warns S&P

Scotland could end up with a banking system much like that of Iceland on the eve of the financial crisis if it votes for independence, according to a warning from one of the world’s leading rating agencies.

Analysts at Standard & Poor’s have said an independent Scotland might lead to the creation of a financial system with eerie parallels to that of Iceland in 2008 when the tiny North Atlantic island was forced to allow all its major banks fail with the loss of billions of pounds of savers and creditors money.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10782671/Independent-Scotland-has-parallels-with-Iceland-warns-SandP.html

Edited by Basil B

But it's wrong.

Approximately 460,000 people (women and children as well as men) from other parts of the UK live in Scotland. That's people from Wales and Northern Ireland as well as England.

The per capita flow of Scots out of Scotland to the rest of the UK is far greater than the other way!

Because in England we can be free, while North of the border we are oppressed whinging Scotch gits.

Because South of the border we stand intellectually and morally head and shoulders above our peers, whereas in Caledonia we are surrounded by exemplars of fine upstanding dynamic talent.

Because years of Stalinist oppression by the government in Westminster has destroyed all the jobs in Scotland with the sole aim of improving the English talent pool by encouraging us to move South.

When I was emigrating to Hong Kong, I said to a fellow compatriot "I'm off to work in HK next week"

"Oh," he says, "I don't think I'd like to live in Hong Kong..."

"Listen, Tam - If I was going to choose my job based on where I wanted to work I'd not be sat here in the canteen eating lunch with you in insert name of Northern English town"

SC

• Like 1

But it's wrong.

Because in England we can be free, while North of the border we are oppressed whinging Scotch gits.

Because South of the border we stand intellectually and morally head and shoulders above our peers, whereas in Caledonia we are surrounded by exemplars of fine upstanding dynamic talent.

Because years of Stalinist oppression by the government in Westminster has destroyed all the jobs in Scotland with the sole aim of improving the English talent pool by encouraging us to move South.

When I was emigrating to Hong Kong, I said to a fellow compatriot "I'm off to work in HK next week"

"Oh," he says, "I don't think I'd like to live in Hong Kong..."

"Listen, Tam - If I was going to choose my job based on where I wanted to work I'd not be sat here in the canteen eating lunch with you in insert name of Northern English town"

SC

cowboy my old mate,

i really hope nothing goes wrong with you when you do get independance,,

were will you go for an embassy,,,

scotland dont have any,,,,,

its not all about money and jobs,,,,

salmons mad, never mentions and dont worry when your on holiday ill get some embassys up and running in a day,,,lol

jake

I note various tactics being used by those who haven't really got an argument here.One is "the question"

As someone lays out an argument the one without an argument puts forward a "{question' - it is usually an over simple yes/no one with only a tangential connection to the argument and any answer would be spurious, but that person keeps on saying"you haven't answered the question" as if it has the ultimate solution to the issue being discussed. They feel justifies in doing this as they haven't really got a coherent argument themselves so the turn the issue round to banal and naive yes / no questions in the hope it hides the fact they don't have a clue. You see this on Fox News quire a lot "So dog you hate America?" or You just don't like Republicans" as if it has anything to do with the topic in hand.

To the detractors from Scottish independence - firstly ask yourself WHY?

Why are you so against it? Have you suddenly developed a huge love of the Union...or4 Scotland? Do you think that Scots have no right to self determination...or do you simply not like change? There may be a hundred reasons for you not liking the idea, but I can't see many on this thread apart from a blind fear of the future or change.

I am English, but Scots folk are my brothers and sisters, simple as that. smile.png We have stood together to create a union that us done us proud. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I note various tactics being used by those who haven't really got an argument here.One is "the question"

As someone lays out an argument the one without an argument puts forward a "{question' - it is usually an over simple yes/no one with only a tangential connection to the argument and any answer would be spurious, but that person keeps on saying"you haven't answered the question" as if it has the ultimate solution to the issue being discussed. They feel justifies in doing this as they haven't really got a coherent argument themselves so the turn the issue round to banal and naive yes / no questions in the hope it hides the fact they don't have a clue. You see this on Fox News quire a lot "So dog you hate America?" or You just don't like Republicans" as if it has anything to do with the topic in hand.

Why are you so against it? Have you suddenly developed a huge love of the Union...or4 Scotland? Do you think that Scots have no right to self determination...or do you simply not like change? There may be a hundred reasons for you not liking the idea, but I can't see many on this thread apart from a blind fear of the future or change.

I am English, but Scots folk are my brothers and sisters, simple as that. smile.png We have stood together to create a union that us done us proud. thumbsup.gif

Aye transam is it and if you look at the numerous posts i have posted the Scots are still saying that we hope Scotland can be a beacon to the world and the English Welsh stand up to the tyranny of the past 35 years old Westminister rule and get back to the values that we all share...Its that simple.....>We would love for the English to wake up and see That it is not about the people .it is all about the money.....The Scots will still be your brothers and sisters after hopefully an independent Scotland.....For god sake there is 800000 living in England as we speak,,,,,Do you want to ship them back to Scotland <inflammatory language edited out> Culturally we share certain similarities,,,,,,politically not....support the scots in their self determination.WAS TOMMY NO SHOUTING LOUD ENOUGH FOR U....

Edited by Scott
Inflammatory language edited out

Aye transam is it and if you look at the numerous posts i have posted the Scots are still saying that we hope Scotland can be a beacon to the world and the English Welsh stand up to the tyranny of the past 35 years old Westminister rule and get back to the values that we all share...Its that simple.....>We would love for the English to wake up and see That it is not about the people .it is all about the money.....The Scots will still be your brothers and sisters after hopefully an independent Scotland.....For god sake there is 800000 living in England as we speak,,,,,Do you want to ship them back to Scotland like the english nationalist nonbury would like to do but would never say public y here...Culturally we share certain similarities,,,,,,politically not....support the scots in their self determination.WAS TOMMY NO SHOUTING LOUD ENOUGH FOR U....

That reads like rollox. Scots folk want the same latest phone as English folk, and just want to be left alone to live THEIR lives, NOT an Adolf talk about crap that cost his countrymen dear..........................coffee1.gif

BUT..............smile.png