Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

News_Editor

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Scottish government agencies Scottish Enterprise and Visit Scotland have quit business lobby organisation CBI after it formally backed the campaign against independence."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27094092

I think it is fair to say that the CBI is acting in the interest of the majority of it's members.

"Scottish government agencies Scottish Enterprise and Visit Scotland have quit business lobby organisation CBI after it formally backed the campaign against independence."

I think it is fair to say that the CBI is acting in the interest of the majority of it's members.

Well maybe it could have and should have ASKED THE MEMBERS which it didnt

Well maybe it could have and should have ASKED THE MEMBERS which it didnt

The CBI is a democratic organisation which has an annual conference that debates and agrees on policy, I am sure the Scottish Independence question has been debated more than once in the last few years and the board of directors have a clear mandate to oppose independence and although a few companies have a vested interest in Independence, I think you will find most do not.

The CBI responded to a speech by Alex Salmond, Scotland’s First Minister, at the Scottish National Party’s Spring Conference in Aberdeen.http://www.cbi.org.uk/media-centre/press-releases/2014/04/cbi-responds-to-alex-salmond-speech-at-snp-spring-conference/

Katja Hall, CBI Chief Policy Director, said:

"Scotland’s economy is stronger as part of the UK, benefiting from setting its own course on key issues through devolution, at the same time as having support of the union.

"At the moment Scotland benefits from a credible fiscal plan and the stability of the Pound. The Scottish Government’s plans include £670 million of unfunded spending, without addressing the substantial deficit the nation would have. Scotland’s fiscal position requires an austerity plan at least as big as the current UK one – and most likely larger.

"An independent Scotland would also need to find a new currency which would mean higher borrowing costs and more expensive mortgages.

1. Would Scotland's economy be better off on its own?

2. Could Scotland keep the pound?

3. What would creating a border between Scotland and the rest of the UK mean?

4. What would happen with Scotland and EU membership?

Edited by Basil B

I think I know why "Visit Scotland" is not in favour of separation. They are fully aware that Scotland receives more than its fair share of the resources of the British Tourist Board, much to the detriment of the other regions. England,Northern Ireland and Wales, or at least that was the conclusion of my colleagues when I worked for the English Tourist Board many,many years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

yes we all know that the Scots are tight and canny with money and have been sponging off the poor English for centuries and that is why the Uk has trillion pound debt and Scotland is booming...We all know that don't we.

.Thats why we are anti English because all this subsidizing and fiscal favour at the detriment of the English tourist Board now,,and the terrible Brown and Blair did nothing poor wee souls

English nationalist man i bet you wish you were able to vote in Scotland now,,well 460000 of your fellow Englishmen will be able,, and yes they only came here of course to get handouts from westminister

yes we all know that the Scots are tight and canny with money and have been sponging off the poor English for centuries and that is why the Uk has trillion pound debt and Scotland is booming...We all know that don't we.

.Thats why we are anti English because all this subsidizing and fiscal favour at the detriment of the English tourist Board now,,and the terrible Brown and Blair did nothing poor wee souls

English nationalist man i bet you wish you were able to vote in Scotland now,,well 460000 of your fellow Englishmen will be able,, and yes they only came here of course to get handouts from westminister

I worry your rants are getting more incoherent - perhaps you need to take your mind off the impending referendum for a moment. Can I suggest the Widnes - St Helens game, in the absence of any Pro12 rugby this evening. 12 - 4 to the Vikings against the league leaders, in case you're interested.

SC

• Like 2

Thanks for the advise,,but rugby being a gentlemans game is far too violent in content for this ranter and raver .

I prefer qigong myself ..would help a lot of you Alpha males out there

but my mind is crystal clear and even though my points of view don't fit into your window of agreement.

,rants they are not,,,being a level headed person with impartiality im sure you can at least follow that.

,,maybe not ...

.Obviously you might know the words of Dick Gauguin but fail miserably to capture a smidgen of their true intent,,, but there again i would harbor a guess that his words are rants, as well as being clearly disenfranchised in your minds eye at least

Must be all that Leith air.

Thanks for the advise,,but rugby being a gentlemans game is far too violent in content for this ranter and raver .

but my mind is crystal clear and even though my points of view don't fit into your window of agreement.

,rants they are not,,,being a level headed person with impartiality im sure you can at least follow that.

,,maybe not ...

.Obviously you might know the words of Dick Gauguin but fail miserably to capture a smidgen of their true intent,,, but there again i would harbor a guess that his words are rants, as well as being clearly disenfranchised in your minds eye at least

As I said before, this is THE great achievement of the SNP, turning some very nasty Scots against their fellow Scots. To help you calm down may I suggest you take up tindle-winks, this I believe would be far more suitable for you.

• Like 1

,,maybe not ...

As I said before, this is THE great achievement of the SNP, turning some very nasty Scots against their fellow Scots. To help you calm down may I suggest you take up tindle-winks, this I believe would be far more suitable for you.

This ad hominem attack has all the characteristics of someone who has in reality a rather vacuus perspective on the subject.

• Like 2

Can we English people have a referendum to find out if we want Scotland in the United Kingdom?

How can one country have a referendum about another country's fate???? This just about sums up the English attitude to the Union.

- England could of course have a referendum as to remaining in the Union - just the same as Scotland.

Ok, can we the English, Welsh, and them from NI have a referendum to leave the Union and form another without the awkward Scot's? rolleyes.gif

For some unknown reason the English have never had the opportunity to vote on separation from

Scotland, maybe those in power realised that the English would vote YES. Could it be the same With their reluctance to grant the people's wish to vote on whether to withdraw from the EC.

There's an interesting piece of perception...separation from Scotland"...it,s the UNION that many Scots wants to leave andthis is largely because they see a domination by England in that union, but this poster obviously sees thge Union as English.... exactly why the Scots want self-determination

Sorry! But I'm one of many Englishmen who are prepared to go on their knees and beg the Scots to vote YES.

from the EC.

There's an interesting piece of perception...separation from Scotland"...it,s the UNION that many Scots wants to leave andthis is largely because they see a domination by England in that union, but this poster obviously sees thge Union as English.... exactly why the Scots want self-determination

As quoted by nontebury Scotland receives more than its fair share of the resources of the British Tourist Board, much to the detriment of the other regions.

Read into that how you like 555

The number of personal attacks seems to be increasing. I suggest you tone the rhetoric down and stay on the topic.

It seems some people are for an independent Scotland, some are for the continued Union and some really don't seem to give a toss.

Ok, can we the English, Welsh, and them from NI have a referendum to leave the Union and form another without the awkward Scot's? rolleyes.gifFor some unknown reason the English have never had the opportunity to vote on separation from

Scotland, maybe those in power realised that the English would vote YES. Could it be the same With their reluctance to grant the people's wish to vote on whether to withdraw from the EC.

Bloody hell, it's like hitting your head against a brick shithouse wall. You are not being asked to vote for independence, you are being asked to agree to be subservient to the EU, where you will become an insignificant member, that's if they allow you in. Do you think the Eurocrats in Brussels will pander to your spoilt demands like the rest of the UK have for years. Anyhow I hope you get your wish. VOTE YES.

Sorry! But I'm one of many Englishmen who are prepared to go on their knees and beg the Scots to vote YES.

i know you are a busy busy man who doesn't have the time to back your persistent claims of myself and others being anti English....Possibly you might have the time to read this..enjoy

http://wingsoverscotland.com/something-to-ponder/

/ Why do i have this guy feeling that you will not even bother to read it,,you can prove me wrong if you like,,after all it is an article of what England wants right now in today's 2014,,,feel free to add any of your thoughts of course when you have proven me wrong by reading it,,but try a little harder than propaganda nonsense.. Thank you

• Like 1

Ok, can we the English, Welsh, and them from NI have a referendum to leave the Union and form another without the awkward Scot's? rolleyes.gif

For some unknown reason the English have never had the opportunity to vote on separation from

Bloody hell, it's like hitting your head against a brick shithouse wall. You are not being asked to vote for independence, you are being asked to agree to be subservient to the EU, where you will become an insignificant member, that's if they allow you in. Do you think the Eurocrats in Brussels will pander to your spoilt demands like the rest of the UK have for years. Anyhow I hope you get your wish. VOTE YES.

consider this http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-reliable-source/

i know you are a busy busy man who doesn't have the time to back your persistent claims of myself and others being anti English....Possibly you might have the time to read this..enjoy

/ Why do i have this guy feeling that you will not even bother to read it,,you can prove me wrong if you like,,after all it is an article of what England wants right now in today's 2014,,,feel free to add any of your thoughts of course when you have proven me wrong by reading it,,but try a little harder than propaganda nonsense.. Thank you

So I've read it, so what? Although it did raise an interesting question, will the SNP or UKIP have the most influence in the direction of UK politics during the next few years. Well my hope will be UKIP, as I hope that Scotland will no longer be in the UK.

So I've read it, so what? Although it did raise an interesting question, will the SNP or UKIP have the most influence in the direction of UK politics during the next few years. Well my hope will be UKIP, as I hope that Scotland will no longer be in the UK.

So you are a supporter of UKIP ....Another reason Scottish people nasty or otherwise are voting YES as UKIP has no place and a tiny vote in Scotland ,,neither has the BNP for that matter...After all UKIP is really the ENP ....Thank who ever you want to thank that Scotland wants no part of that....For people who dont know what UKIP,or the BNP is you can google it,,,but SNP had nothing to down...Thanks nontebury for revealing your true colour,There you have it a topic on Scottish independence and it didnt take long for white Unionists to jump in ,,,, as they are doing in Scotland today may i add,,but its a tiny tiny % of the population and more to do with 1690 than anything happening today........and that is directly to do with the topic as well.....The colony idealogy is alive and kicking on the unionist side still,,,not in modern day 2014 self determination supporters it is not

So you are a supporter of UKIP ....Another reason Scottish people nasty or otherwise are voting YES as UKIP has no place and a tiny vote in Scotland ,,neither has the BNP for that matter...After all UKIP is really the ENP ....Thank who ever you want to thank that Scotland wants no part of that....For people who dont know what UKIP,or the BNP is you can google it,,,but SNP had nothing to down...Thanks nontebury for revealing your true colour,There you have it a topic on Scottish independence and it didnt take long for white Unionists to jump in ,,,, as they are doing in Scotland today may i add,,but its a tiny tiny % of the population and more to do with 1690 than anything happening today........and that is directly to do with the topic as well.....The colony idealogy is alive and kicking on the unionist side still,,,not in modern day 2014 self determination supporters it is not

Absolute rubbish, but at least your consistent.

• Like 1