Honda service or lack there of...........

thequietman

Brakes were sticking on my phantom, so left it in. Returned to find a bill for 450 baht for new brake pads. Ok fair enough. Must have needed them. ! day later brakes sticking again.

Yesterday asked guy to check tyres. I seemed to be losing air. Went back, got the thumbs up, paid and away. Down the road a little, front tyre wobbling. Pulled into another garage, guy checked air - 0 psi. flat. The guy in Honda had emptied the air from the tyre. Got it pumped up at the other garage and away. Getting close to the house, back tyre a little unstable. Checked air - ) psi. Looked around the tyre and there is a nail.

To sum it all up............took my bike to Honda because I thought I had a slow puncture. Nothing done and was sent on my way with front tyre flat and back losing air. Paid for new brakes and got the bike back still with the brakes sticking.

This is the 2nd Honda dealer in town with bad to non existent service. Is it the same where you live? blink.png

My first bike was a Phantom and because of the heat and cheap labour rates, gave a local dealer all the work it needed. Eventually, due to a disintegrated rubber component which blocked the oil pump, I had to have the engine rebuilt, including new camshaft. Two weeks later they had to rebuild it again as they hadn't cleaned the sump properly and the pump became blocked again. They wanted me to pay half, claiming I told them to save the cost of a gasket and not split the crank case, why would they ask me in the first place?. Got the bike back and it was running too rich, they fixed it by counter boring the needle jet holder, dropping the needle down 2mm, instead of addressing the real cause, a split inlet rubber.

I wouldn't trust them to replace a dust-cap and do everything myself, with the kind help of some friends and people on this forum. Suggest you do the same, there is plenty of help out there and like me get a big fan, or air-con.

I have surprised myself the progress made with my old NV400 and is has been good fun too, if a little sweaty.

• Like 1

Are you talking about a proper Honda dealership with bike lifts and uniformed mechanics, a proper spares dept. etc. Doesn't sound like it.

Punctures are usually better attended to by tires shops as that is what they do day in day out. Would you take a car to a Honda garage to get a tire fixed or to Cockpit, B-Quick, Goodyear et al? I am not suggesting you take your Phantom to Cockpit ( have to add this because some numpty will think so!) but to the local shop that sells bike tires and fixes punctures.

Edited by VocalNeal

Like security guards in Thailand, I'm pretty sure many places just hire some random guy off the street and throw a uniform on them.

I had a floaty gear box on my old Honda, took it in the large dealer on Saphan Kwai, told the owner's daughter (fluent English) she told it to the mechanic and without looking at the motorbike said it needs a new rear-set.

How does he know that without even looking at it?

Oh, er, he's a mechanic here for a long time.

So, how does he know that without even looking at it?

He knows motorcycles very well.

Wow, I wished motorcycles as well as him, can you please ask him anyone could know that without looking at it?

Do you want a new rear set?

No thanks, I better take it to someplace where the mechanics look at the bikes before they diagnose any issues.

Edited by Billy Boy

We always use the Honda dealership on Hangdong Road for everything to do with our CRV.

Expert, friendly service that goes above and beyond with a very comfortable Customer Lounge. On top of all that, the prices are very reasonable.

Have had very poor and dangerous "service" from official Honda dealer in the past. Asked for tire pressures to be checked on Honda Click (friends) , guy didnt even bother using gauge. Checked latter and it was 65 PSI !!!Blow out could have killed me/us.If you cant watch them like a hawk all the way through the job (and know what your looking at)then take it to a trusted private mechanic , or learn to do it your-self.

We always use the Honda dealership on Hangdong Road for everything to do with our CRV.

Expert, friendly service that goes above and beyond with a very comfortable Customer Lounge. On top of all that, the prices are very reasonable.

I didn't know Honda made a CRV bike...

They make a car by that name.

You can't compare the bike/car dealers. I had a Honda car in the past and as Torrens54 said, they check everything and the mechanics seems to be well trained. Honda Pattaya: Friendly? No, <deleted>.

My small Honda's (PCX & Snoopy) is a different story, when taking them for service they change the oil and that's it. You have to tell them if you have a problem or something specific you wants changed (brake liquid as an eksample).

I don't think it's a good idea to look them over the shoulder all the time, you just piss them off.

I don't know if Honda Big Wing is the same? I hope not.

They make a car by that name.

You can't compare the bike/car dealers. I had a Honda car in the past and as Torrens54 said, they check everything and the mechanics seems to be well trained. Honda Pattaya: Friendly? No, <deleted>.

My small Honda's (PCX & Snoopy) is a different story, when taking them for service they change the oil and that's it. You have to tell them if you have a problem or something specific you wants changed (brake liquid as an eksample).

I don't think it's a good idea to look them over the shoulder all the time, you just piss them off.

I don't know if Honda Big Wing is the same? I hope not.

"I don't know if Honda Big Wing is the same? I hope not." Optimism can get you into a lot of hot water!

Like security guards in Thailand, I'm pretty sure many places just hire some random guy off the street and throw a uniform on them.

I had a floaty gear box on my old Honda, took it in the large dealer on Saphan Kwai, told the owner's daughter (fluent English) she told it to the mechanic and without looking at the motorbike said it needs a new rear-set.

How does he know that without even looking at it?

Oh, er, he's a mechanic here for a long time.

So, how does he know that without even looking at it?

He knows motorcycles very well.

Wow, I wished motorcycles as well as him, can you please ask him anyone could know that without looking at it?

Do you want a new rear set?

No thanks, I better take it to someplace where the mechanics look at the bikes before they diagnose any issues.

This is interesting on many levels.

Firstly the average motorcycle owner doesn't know much about anything so will listen to what an "expert" tells them.

I remember on one Sunday in Indonesia, as all the customers sat outside the local Honda dealer either waiting there turn or waiting for their bike to be finished, a bunch of jaw dropped faces as I walked into the dealer ship carrying a Honda Wave/Supra crankcase. One guy who spoke English asked me how I didthat?

Secondly the abysmal level of service you all seem to experience may well explain why in general locals do not do much maintenance? Fed up with getting ripped of.

On the positive side there are good places out there it is just a question of discovering who and where they are.

Secondly the abysmal level of service you all seem to experience may well explain why in general locals do not do much maintenance? Fed up with getting ripped of.

I would guess it is because they view maintenance as a waste of money. It's not broken, why on earth spend money on it?!?

The amount of 5 yr old scooters on their original brake pads, oil and tires is probably shocking.

• 2 weeks later...