Reverse a bank transfer, possible?

Hi,

just wondering if it is possible here? I believe, but I am not sure either, that in most parts of the world this is not a common occurrence and it needs to be done in less than 24h. Does anyone know something about this, or did this happen to somebody here?

yes in can be reversed same bank rules apply here like the rest of the world when it comes to bank wires.did it hit the right account or you just changed your mind? this is the reason it is so much better to deal with your home country banks for complex items. you can tell the banker you sent it to the wrong account will get it back quickly, but thai's and thailand good luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your answers guys. One of my Thai friends told me the bank called her once asking to send back the money which have been transferred to her by error, threatening to go to the police LOL. I guess they have some mechanism but they would need to fill in a lot of paperwork, so that's why it is easy to call and ask to send the money back.

Funny that bitcoinbob was one of the posters answering as I was selling bitcoins and worried that some guy could reverse the transfer while bitcoins transfers can not be reversed ;-)

A bank cannot reverse an interbank transaction at the simple request of a customer, or at its own whim. If that were possible, the whole worldwide banking structure would be in a shambles.

Once cleared funds are transferred, it's a done deal.

There is a process for making a request for a reversal in the case of an error. If the customer makes a mistake and funds go to an uninvolved third party, the receiver of the funds must be asked for permission to reverse. If the receiver refuses, then a charge of theft can be lodged against the receiver through the police. Neither bank has any liability or responsibility, although most would assist their customer if practical. (They would in NZ, not sure about the rest of the world.)

If the bank make a mistake and send funds to the wrong customer, then the sending bank is liable for the loss and must reimburse the sender and claim from the receiving bank/customer. That is provided that the sender provided correct details to the bank, and bank made the balls up.

Edit: I'm talking about normal transactions. No doubt in the case of proceeds from crimes, laundered money etc, than each country will have it's own laws about reversing/recovering cash.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1