Man killed charging phone: Thai police

webfact

Man killed charging phone
By Coconuts Bangkok

iphone_2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A 28-year-old man was found dead yesterday morning, his badly burned hand still clutching his iPhone, police said.

Pisit Charnglek, 28, is believed to have been electrocuted to death from his phone charger, which was plugged in at the time.

The victim's father heard his son cry out by his father at around 11 pm Sunday night, but thought he was talking in his sleep.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/11/26/man-killed-charging-phone

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-11-26

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do all these hard-to-believe stories come from this coconut site?

Why would you not know. Its not hard to figure out...... thats what they specialize in printing.

Seems that every country has it wacko news printer.... for example the Enquirer in the US, ..... maybe the

Daily Mail in the UK. For those looking for the sorid or lucrid stories they soon find the paper for their fix.

there have been a few cases reported in the uk , one child if memory serves all to do with copy Chinese

chargers, I warned my bird not to just plug in a charger and to use the extension with on/off switches

Edited by zoza

My gf said that when this appeared in the Thai news, they specified that the charger was a cheap copied version, rather than an official apple one.

We have quite a few of these as well (I get annoyed having to move chargers from the computer to bedroom to car to hotel etc), and often get small shocks from it.

My gf has always been quite concerned about the shocks, while I've just told her it's only a tiny shock and not dangerous. I'm not quite so sure about that anymore though lol.

there have been a few cases reported in the uk , one child if memory serves all to do with copy Chinese

chargers, I warned my bird not to just plug in a charger and to use the extension with on/off switches

You must have a very smart feathered friend to use a charger. Or did you mean woman or gf? Why use slang to a international audience?

• Like 2

You must have a very smart feathered friend to use a charger. Or did you mean woman or gf? Why use slang to a international audience?
Why not ? I understood him perfectly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Bazt
  • Like 1

Grounding? We don't need no dam_ grounding!!!

Not sure if a correctly grounded setup would have changed anything since phone chargers only have 2 pins plugs.

If he had grounded the green wire for the water heater in the bathroom, this would not have happened.

Any way to get better protection to avoid what happened to this guy?

quote name="Rorri" post="7085325" timestamp="1385460362"]

Not sure if a correctly grounded setup would have changed anything since phone chargers only have 2 pins plugs.

100% correct.

What's a gf? w00t.gif

He meant GIF, a picture of the girlfriend he'd like to have!laugh.png

• Like 1

My gf said that when this appeared in the Thai news, they specified that the charger was a cheap copied version, rather than an official apple one.

We have quite a few of these as well (I get annoyed having to move chargers from the computer to bedroom to car to hotel etc), and often get small shocks from it.

My gf has always been quite concerned about the shocks, while I've just told her it's only a tiny shock and not dangerous. I'm not quite so sure about that anymore though lol.

The difference between a tiny shock and lethal electrocution is only a few miiliamps. Do something about it - asap.

• Like 1

If he had grounded the green wire for the water heater in the bathroom, this would not have happened.

Really?

I thought that the current went to earth in the most direct way - in this case charger to floor via the in-line person who was holding the phone and completing the grounding process?

Please correct me here if I'm wrong. Tiled floors and bare feet is not like shoes and socks standing on a carpet.

R

• Like 1

That's ironic - you're trying to correct circusman, but using terms yourself that you assume an international audience will understand.

I had no idea what a "gf" was - I had to Google it!

little-bear-nodding-yes-smiley-emoticon.

R

Edited by robsamui

I might sound counter intuitive but you can be safe without grounding. The electrical world changes frequently and many of the DIY people may not realise this.

A device called an RCD - residual current device, or safety switch (depending on where you come from) will give a lot of protection (although not 100%) and does not a require an earth or ground connection.

In laymans terms it looks at the electric current going in to the device with that flowing out of the device. It should be equal. If it is not equal it operates and turns off the electricity supply.

Now if we think about this it becomes clear that if the current going in and the current going out are not equal then the difference in current must be going somewhere else - maybe through a person!!!

Bear in mind that the current may also be equal if you grab one of the electric wires in each hand you most likely will still be fried.

One of the drawbacks of such a device is that you can experience nuisance tripping if you have moisture in a device such as a hot water system or even an electric stove element, although in my experience this is not so common any more. The installation of these devices has become mandatory in some jurisdictions.

They are available in Thailand. I've seen them, and purchased then at Global House.

• Like 2

That's ironic - you're trying to correct circusman, but using terms yourself that you assume an international audience will understand.

I had no idea what a "gf" was - I had to Google it!

R

Cracker of a post mate. Jeez Bro, yeah, like ya know, that gf bizzo was a tad off the deep end for me too. Zoza must be a bit of a drongo, or maybe was brassed off about circusman describing his Sheila as a Bird, when really she's probably just your average her indoors. He should really have given him a fair suck of the sav. But then again Bro, if some blokes brains were barbed wire they'd have trouble fencing a dunny.

• Like 2