20+ Years and things I still don't understand!

laolover88

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Thailand drive on the left? Is it because the first cars came from Japan? But then why does Japan drive on the left?

Ok, I'll bite. Every country driving on the right is wrong. The left side comes from the days of the Brits (well, to be fair, it always does), who would pass each other on horseback from the left with the right hand free to swing a sword... or something like that.

For the list:

Why does it take one person 5 freakin' minutes to check they still have 150 baht in their account at the ATM?!

Why, on driving down a perfectly serene road, does all of a sudden 15 things happen at once: dog runs out, kid on bike bumbles out, truck pulls off insane U-turn scattering all /n sundry, bike ridden by policeman comes at you wrong way, bike undertakes you, car overtakes you with another car overtaking that one, little bloke up 100-foot rickety bamboo ladder hanging up there by the skin of his teeth, on on on...

Why does it take one person 5 freakin' minutes to check they still have 150 baht in their account at the ATM?!

I asked one of the staff once why one member would take a load of ATM cards from their friends and withdraw money for them. They replied that their friends were too busy to go and anyway they trusted each other.

All well and good but my train of thought was that the bush telegraph would be buzzing knowing that Sombat the F and B manager had 200 baht in his account whereas Lek the room attendant had 200,000.

Forget the "Why's". Just accept that this is the way things are and move on!

If everyone agreed with you, we would still be living in a cave and hunting deer...

Luckily some people have the will to improve things. Not always easy - but definitely possible.

Holy crap! What's with the questions? If after 20+years in Thailand and you are still cannot find the answers, then you probably wont find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I don't want to find the answers.....laugh.png

• Like 1

Holy crap! What's with the questions? If after 20+years in Thailand and you are still cannot find the answers, then you probably wont find them.

I don't want to find the answers.....Posted Image

Even I don't want to answer...too much headache 55555

The OP was being light-hearted, but why should Thais be expected to explain why things are the way they are compared to places they've probably never been or seen? Also the education system discourages questioning and thinking for oneself anyway.

Would you ask Americans why they speak with strange accents?

Oh well, when in Athens, Georgia I had a conversation with a lady waitress. She said:" I don't understand what you want to order". I said: "I am sorry"

She said: " Never mind. Just another white accent"

The OP was being light-hearted, but why should Thais be expected to explain why things are the way they are compared to places they've probably never been or seen? Also the education system discourages questioning and thinking for oneself anyway.

Oh well, when in Athens, Georgia I had a conversation with a lady waitress. She said:" I don't understand what you want to order". I said: "I am sorry"

I was backpacking my way across the States years ago and, when asking a Georgia peach if this was the bus to Atlanta, received the reply "Why don't y'all speak English?"

Born and bred 20 miles from Lord Horatio Nelson's birthplace m'dear

• Like 1

I was backpacking my way across the States years ago and, when asking a Georgia peach if this was the bus to Atlanta, received the reply "Why don't y'all speak English?"

Born and bred 20 miles from Lord Horatio Nelson's birthplace m'dear

I am a ''cockney'', when in Alabama they said, "Australia guy eh''..........blink.png

• Like 2

Why Thai/International companies don't spell check their adverts.

Too lazy I say, as they relay on the advert folks to do it for them, that's their job right, wrong, it is the Companies Job to get it right.

because they don't know how to spell it correctly and their target group can't read/ understand it anyway- though who cares?

Why Thai/International companies don't spell check their adverts.

Too lazy I say, as they relay on the advert folks to do it for them, that's their job right, wrong, it is the Companies Job to get it right.

because they don't know how to spell it correctly and their target group can't read/ understand it anyway- though who cares?

Just as well you're not a proof-reader for one of said 'Companies'.

Wow so many here with no sense of humour, the OP was clearly having a joke, yeesh and this place used to be amusing whistling.gif

It is still an amusement place. Thailand just announced that it has almost 22million visitors this year.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai

And 4 other things!!

1. Why is it impossible to ask anyone either for directions or where anything is and,if you do,you get an answer like:

"round the corner by blue house"

2. Where did eating out of plastic bags come to be the norm?

3. Why do they keep changing the road numbers? + Why is it nearly impossible to buy a map? There are very good ones. But all shops in CM only have maps of Phitsanulok!

4. Why do people sleep and go swimming with their clothes on? But perfectly acceptable to nip out to 7 in your pyjamas?

And 4 other things!!

1. Why is it impossible to ask anyone either for directions or where anything is and,if you do,you get an answer like:

"round the corner by blue house"

2. Where did eating out of plastic bags come to be the norm?

3. Why do they keep changing the road numbers? + Why is it nearly impossible to buy a map? There are very good ones. But all shops in CM only have maps of Phitsanulok!

4. Why do people sleep and go swimming with their clothes on? But perfectly acceptable to nip out to 7 in your pyjamas?

Funny, your point #1. Some time ago, while discussing this topic with my wife, I asked her to tell me how to get from the Chok Chai Intersection (see yaak yaai) to our house. I got the blank stare first, then "I tell to call me".

It took a while, and a bunch of discussion, but I finally figured out that the sticking point was stringing several directions together.

The Thai method seems to be "Go to the next landmark and call me"

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app