Red Bull at 60 Baht each can

PeterSmiles

@ h90 (too many quotes so I had to start a new one.)

Orange Juice:

I only drink "Green Garden" from Makro. 100% o.j., no water, no extra sugar, no conservatives AND no halal. It comes only in 5 l-canisters and you find it in the chilled food department near the dairy products.

The name is ONLY spelled in Thai but I am scared to use Thai language here. The price is 249 B, sometimes on sale for 239 B. Be aware. There is also a 40%-version which is cheaper and total crap. Stay away from that.

As a side note. The containers the o.j. comes in are also sold at makro. Empty for 49 B each.

That's nice. Taste is good? No halal maybe means that gelatin was added. Which doesn't need to be declared (at least a couple of years ago, that might have changed).

Or that the oranges weren't halal slaughtered laugh.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fresh orange/mandarin juice on the street is 50 baht for 3 bottles, i guess also a litre in total but i don't like it so much.

By the way how do you know the juice from the Makro is not made from dehydrated juice from Brasil and then mixed with water?

...just try it!

smile.png

@ h90 (too many quotes so I had to start a new one.)

Orange Juice:

I only drink "Green Garden" from Makro. 100% o.j., no water, no extra sugar, no conservatives AND no halal. It comes only in 5 l-canisters and you find it in the chilled food department near the dairy products.

The name is ONLY spelled in Thai but I am scared to use Thai language here. The price is 249 B, sometimes on sale for 239 B. Be aware. There is also a 40%-version which is cheaper and total crap. Stay away from that.

As a side note. The containers the o.j. comes in are also sold at makro. Empty for 49 B each.

That's nice. Taste is good? No halal maybe means that gelatin was added. Which doesn't need to be declared (at least a couple of years ago, that might have changed).

Or that the oranges weren't halal slaughtered laugh.png

Yes, tastes very good. Before I drank Tipco brand, but Green Garden is much better.

I mentioned halal because almost every grocery item in Thai supermarkets carry this icon. Yogurth, Coffee, juices and everything Nestlé. I want to know how much money I already paid for the use of this label. For sure the official islamic institut of Thailand gets money for the usage.

I just want to point out that halal orange juice is just pathetic.

Edited by khrab
  • Like 1

I used to run drinks manufacturing plants, and I like Red Bull (Kratingdaeng). The European versions are watered down versions of virtually the same drink. They water it down with carbonated water and charge you B60 for a B10 drink. If you add soda or carbonated water from a dispenser, you could add that to B10 Thai Red Bull and produce European Red Bull for B6. Personally, I don't like paying an extra B50 for water.

• Like 2

fresh orange/mandarin juice on the street is 50 baht for 3 bottles, i guess also a litre in total but i don't like it so much.

By the way how do you know the juice from the Makro is not made from dehydrated juice from Brasil and then mixed with water?

Not surprised that you don't like the orange juice from the streets, not exactly pure given the risk of contamination by bacteria and moulds. Also I have never seen mandarin oranges on the streets in Thailand.

I used to run a drinks manufacturing plant in Malaysia. All juices are concentrated using an evaporator to reduce water content to reduce shipping costs. The water is then added back in during the packing process. There is nothing wrong with that, although the term "100% Pure Juice" has to be taken with a pinch of salt as it is reconstituted again with pure water. The best juices come from Cuba and Brazil, and have a natural sweetness. I drink the Malee brand Mandarin Orange which has an excellent taste. This contains the orange peel as well so you get the whole orange, and gives the drink what we call in the industry "Mouth Feel". In Tesco, three packs are B199.00, but you can sometimes find it on offer at B59 per 1litre pack.

Not surprised that you don't like the orange juice from the streets, not exactly pure given the risk of contamination by bacteria and moulds. Also I have never seen mandarin oranges on the streets in Thailand.

I used to run a drinks manufacturing plant in Malaysia. All juices are concentrated using an evaporator to reduce water content to reduce shipping costs. The water is then added back in during the packing process. There is nothing wrong with that, although the term "100% Pure Juice" has to be taken with a pinch of salt as it is reconstituted again with pure water.

Even the ones that say "not from concentrate", like Tropicana?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I have seen Monster Energy (16 oz can) at the Supermarket inside Siam Paragon. I am over energy drinks but when I was under I always had one around. Red Bull extra probably just threw in extra caffeine and some BS animo acid. M-150, Carabao daeng, Thai Red bull are all sweet. Though, I do prefer Shark if I did drink an Energy drink.

I have seen a documentary about orange juice from Brasil. They produce in bulk, dehydrate it, ship in huge tankers, add water and sell it in Europe. All the brands use that same concentrate, even the chilled ones like Cool Best that cost much more. It is all the same concentrate. Also the juice is heated (sterilised) so it is not fresh. I wonder how many vitamins are still left in it.

The problem with orangejuice being not healthy is when the juice from the peel also is squeezed out. The chemicals that farmers use are on the peel and i don't want to drink that. On the streets they sell mandarin (i thought) but it might also be tangerinejuice ( i don't know that fruit). They are grown in Chiang mai is what i know and the streetsellers add salt, sugar and water to it.

I don't drink red bull at all because it tastes disguisting. I drink loads of coffee instead (Douwe Egberts from Foodland). Some years ago on Samui i drank red bull/vodka for a nite, that is a good mix if you want to get pissed without knowing it.

When I visited Thailand about couple of years ago, red bull extra was one of the most popular drinks there and I am sure that it is still the case over there.

Illegal rice whiskey is often sold by corner shops in reused 'power drinks' bottles.

Most of the Thai guys I see with Red Bull, M150, etc., are really drinking something else.

Thai Red Bull is shit and tastes nothing like the ORIGINAL western (Europe) version. It's not even in the same ball park IMO.

Shark as others have mentioned is ok.

The Thai version is the ORIGINAL. The Austrian version is the copy version.

True, but the BIG money was made with the COPY version and its formidable advertising campaign, ruled from Mr.Mateschitz in Austria. thumbsup.gif

I'm really impressed to see how many people agree to pay big money for some carbonated water with some added chemicals .

When did 60 baht become "big money"?? For you it may in fact be big money, but for me it is a small price to pay for a drink I enjoy.

I'm really impressed to see how many people agree to pay big money for some carbonated water with some added chemicals .

It's truely a wonderful World where we choose to buy Starbucks Coffee or the 7-11 stuff; Red Bull or tap water with lemon juice; ice cream at Swensens or purchase from the street vendor; clothing at Central or have the misses make a shirt. Sugar or Equal; beer or T-totaler; Asian women or Caucasian men; AC or DC or multi-current; day sleeping or night prowling. I love life, variety and Thailand.

I'm neither impressed or depressed by any it. Just taking One Day at a Time.

Live and Let Live

• Like 1

It's truely a wonderful World where we choose to buy Starbucks Coffee or the 7-11 stuff; Red Bull or tap water with lemon juice; ice cream at Swensens or purchase from the street vendor; clothing at Central or have the misses make a shirt. Sugar or Equal; beer or T-totaler; Asian women or Caucasian men; AC or DC or multi-current; day sleeping or night prowling. I love life, variety and Thailand.

I'm neither impressed or depressed by any it. Just taking One Day at a Time.

Live and Let Live

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Its awful stuff, banned in a few country's because it causes Hart palpitations even death. The wife use to make it, about 10 baht a gallon.

What countries have banned it?

At one time it was banned in several in European countries including France, Norway and Denmark over concerns of the amount of Taurine in it. But I am fairly certain RB reformulated it to meet the requirements of those countries. According to their website RB is available in all 28 countries of the EU.