Red Bull at 60 Baht each can

PeterSmiles

I noticed the other day that Big C extra now has Red Bull cans imported from Europe and at the special promotion price of 60 Baht per can of 20 CL .

A carton of 4 cans is even cheaper at 235 Baht, that is for a total of 80 CL .

Now I really wonder if anyone here would ever consider paying this silly money for something that is readily available here, though with another flavor and packaging, at 10 Baht.

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We buy it sometimes.

The normal red bull is so sweet that no one here want to drink it.

The red bull extra is OK

But the Austrian Red Bull is a light year better and it is also in Austria expensive.

But in Europe a bottle of coke also costs 3 times the price in Thailand.

So you think 60 Baht for a 0.2 l softdrink is acceptable in Thailand, and people agree to pay that price ?

• Like 1

We buy it sometimes.

The red bull extra is OK

But the Austrian Red Bull is a light year better and it is also in Austria expensive.

So you think 60 Baht for a 0.2 l softdrink is acceptable in Thailand, and people agree to pay that price ?

Why not? Thais even agree to buy Heineken, at a higher price then in Europe.

• Like 1

"Now I really wonder if anyone here would ever consider paying this silly money for something that is readily available here, though with another flavor and packaging, at 10 Baht."

Is this a Western way of saying "same same but different?" Different flavor, different packaging, different product.

The photo of Red Bull Extra is, I believe, not what you wanted to post. Red Bull Extra costs 13 baht, not 60 baht. The Western version of Red Bull costs 60 baht, is packaged differently, and is availble in nearly every 7/11. Red Bull Extra tastes the same (to me at least) as regular Thai Red Bull but is slightly larger (the 'extra' aspect I would suppose) than the standard Thai Red Bull offering and is packaged in a can.

We buy it sometimes.

The red bull extra is OK

I never buy coke, so I can't compare that and my informations are a bit outdated but 100% orange juice, wine and beer is more expensive in Thailand than in my home country. Good quality mineral water isn't 10 times the price in Thailand.

"Now I really wonder if anyone here would ever consider paying this silly money for something that is readily available here, though with another flavor and packaging, at 10 Baht."

Is this a Western way of saying "same same but different?" Different flavor, different packaging, different product.

The photo of Red Bull Extra is, I believe, not what you wanted to post. Red Bull Extra costs 13 baht, not 60 baht. The Western version of Red Bull costs 60 baht, is packaged differently, and is availble in nearly every 7/11. Red Bull Extra tastes the same (to me at least) as regular Thai Red Bull but is slightly larger (the 'extra' aspect I would suppose) than the standard Thai Red Bull offering and is packaged in a can.

and almost a different company....Red Bull Austria isn't Red Bull Thailand.

We buy it sometimes.

The red bull extra is OK

I never buy coke, so I can't compare that and my informations are a bit outdated but 100% orange juice, wine and beer is more expensive in Thailand than in my home country. Good quality mineral water isn't 10 times the price in Thailand.

I don't where you get the 10 times figure from, but never mind.

Alcohol price has to do with high taxes, on softdrinks are no extreme taxes.

I can not comment on the orange juice, but I doubt that in my country I can buy 1 liter 100% orange juice for the equivalent of 45 Baht as i can do in Makro Thailand.

The cheapest 1½ liter mineral water I can find in my country was ½ Euro or 21 Baht 3 years ago, here it will be 9 Baht today.

I imagine Big C asked themselves that question and decided that, yes, people would.

Could it be that they HOPE people will.

Sermsuk also decided that people would buy Est cola .

They have data from existing product sales (not to mention their loyalty card scheme) which will tell them whether people will buy expensive stuff or not.

I buy the 60 one all the time; its much more pleasant and I believe the formula is different too, I think there are more vitamins or something else added as well, check the ingredients. My reasoning is that when I buy it, it is usually in place of a coffee, which I tend to pay 40-120bht for (coffee on the run not at home), so the 60 bht for red bull instead is worth it to me. Plus, the benefit of being able to walk in and grab it and pay and drink it at my leisure, rather than have to wait for someone to make me coffee.

the thai red bulls I can drink, but I prefer not to.

Speaking of coffee, I actually find this subject very similar to the crap that passes as brewed coffee in places like Tesco and Big C. I pay over 500b for a bag of coffee when there are bags are available at the chains for under 100 baht (local products with different packaging and flavors), but I prefer western style brewed coffee. I can "live like a Thai" on a lot of things but my coffee (or energy drinks) just isn't one of them!

• Like 1

We buy it sometimes.

The red bull extra is OK

I don't where you get the 10 times figure from, but never mind.

Alcohol price has to do with high taxes, on softdrinks are no extreme taxes.

I can not comment on the orange juice, but I doubt that in my country I can buy 1 liter 100% orange juice for the equivalent of 45 Baht as i can do in Makro Thailand.

The cheapest 1½ liter mineral water I can find in my country was ½ Euro or 21 Baht 3 years ago, here it will be 9 Baht today.

yes on the alc it is the high taxes.

Orange juice I never saw below 65 Baht at the big supermarkets, excluding Makro. And most of the Thai brands are low in quality. Good quality 120+ Baht. Even Nestle is producing very low quality here. I had several packs of Orange juice from them which tasted like paper/glue and you can saw the bottom of the tetra pack got Orange colored.

In Europe (maybe outdated) around 1 Euro

Mineral water: I speak from the quality one, which means they have a detail analysis (with values in mg) printed on it and there I only saw imported brands, so far. Everything else is just some water.

But yes the cheap low quality things are super cheap here.

I hope this will change with the Asean or with the free trade with USA. Now are already good imported juices from USA and Australia on the market.

For the RB I see it similar the cheaper lower quality Thai version and the expensive European version.

re

something that is readily available here, though with another flavor and packaging, at 10 Baht.

you mean ?

dave2 smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

No I mean thai_red_bull_extra.jpg

This can is the locally canned Red Bull and is not like the European or American version. This can is just the same uncarbonated stuff from the 10baht Thai bottles. The Imported stuff is not as syrupy and is carbonated. Thailand's Red Bull sold the manufacturing rights to a company in Holland which makes the international version.

And yes people buy it as it's also sold in Tops, Foodland and more.

I was in the Valuemart in Ocean Tower recently and they had the Thai Glico snack sticks at the usual 13 baht or whatever and the parent company Japanese import version at about 50 baht. Same as the 7-11 near mine was selling Lays at their normal price and packets " Made with Australian potatoes" for twice the price. Now I'm all for paying extra for a decent jar of mayo as opposed to the grim domestic stuff on offer but that's just taking the piss. Though I suppose somebody's buying it or they wouldn't stock it.