Stoney Monday founder faces trial in Phuket for B80mn fraud

webfact

When you are in a foriegn country, BEWARE OF YOUR OWN ! The thais may charge you 50 Bht for a 10 Bht taxi fare, but it will be one of your own who is waiting patiently in the shadows scheming how to get hold of your life savings, every time smile.png

There are Westerners who try to gain footholds in Thailand via the back door, property and land speculation believing they are going to get rich quick by buying into the most desirable property areas of Thailand, wheeling and dealing in land and property using dodgy companies, or other farang owned dodgy companies and upfront Thai names to conduct their businesses.

Rell Hayes, or more apt to call him, Hell Hayes, has seen the potential of these mugs willing to gamble and invest millions as background dealers in real estate as ripe victims for extortion and theft.

Under Thai law I very much doubt that those who have lost huge amounts of money by using and trusting in Mr Hayes companies will have a legal means to claw any of their money back.

I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg, as I wonder how many more of these shady companies are operating in Thailand run by similar characters like Rell Hayes?

This is something that could be compared with the pyramid scams, and the acme finance companies money investment scam, invest with us and you will be rewarded with huge returns on your investments. These so-called property investors took the gamble and they lost, dealing with thieves, cut-throats and scoundrels, because I guess that Rel Hayes was not operating a lone.

Find it very offensive you so quickly refere to these people as willing mugs. My son had a small amount of life savings and wasn't a big investor, but Hell Hayes as you so rightly call him, assured him he wouldn't rip of a mate....... as so my son invested in the Elite Development , despite everyone advising him not to, so convincing is he that everything is going well and under control. His return was never going to be big , but he had hoped he would be able to but a small home for him and his wife with it. Hell Hayes will continue to rip unsuspecting people off until the Thai authorities wake up and take away his passport and send him back to Aus, where he can be dealt with under our laws, his so called wife can come to if she likes, will be good seeing both of them in court.

When you are in a foriegn country, BEWARE OF YOUR OWN ! The thais may charge you 50 Bht for a 10 Bht taxi fare, but it will be one of your own who is waiting patiently in the shadows scheming how to get hold of your life savings, every time smile.png

There are Westerners who try to gain footholds in Thailand via the back door, property and land speculation believing they are going to get rich quick by buying into the most desirable property areas of Thailand, wheeling and dealing in land and property using dodgy companies, or other farang owned dodgy companies and upfront Thai names to conduct their businesses.

Rell Hayes, or more apt to call him, Hell Hayes, has seen the potential of these mugs willing to gamble and invest millions as background dealers in real estate as ripe victims for extortion and theft.

Under Thai law I very much doubt that those who have lost huge amounts of money by using and trusting in Mr Hayes companies will have a legal means to claw any of their money back.

I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg, as I wonder how many more of these shady companies are operating in Thailand run by similar characters like Rell Hayes?

This is something that could be compared with the pyramid scams, and the acme finance companies money investment scam, invest with us and you will be rewarded with huge returns on your investments. These so-called property investors took the gamble and they lost, dealing with thieves, cut-throats and scoundrels, because I guess that Rel Hayes was not operating a lone.

Find it very offensive you so quickly refere to these people as willing mugs. My son had a small amount of life savings and wasn't a big investor, but Hell Hayes as you so rightly call him, assured him he wouldn't rip of a mate....... as so my son invested in the Elite Development , despite everyone advising him not to, so convincing is he that everything is going well and under control. His return was never going to be big , but he had hoped he would be able to but a small home for him and his wife with it. Hell Hayes will continue to rip unsuspecting people off until the Thai authorities wake up and take away his passport and send him back to Aus, where he can be dealt with under our laws, his so called wife can come to if she likes, will be good seeing both of them in court.

"Hell Hayes will continue to rip unsuspecting people off until the Thai authorities wake up and take away his passport and send him back to Aus, where he can be dealt with under our laws" - has he committed crimes in Australia? If so, please post any information. If not, why would he be going to an Australian Court????

The victims maybe Australian, but it appears the crime occurred in Thailand.

Edited by NamKangMan

Hi again Maureen,

you might have something and I would recommend contacting your Australian Embassy here and ask what the laws are for an Australian National defrauding Australians abroad. Can they face an Australian court instead of kangaroo court. Pardon the roo pun, unintentional.

As NamKangMan is much more knowledgeable about Phuket transportation woes while throwing out wais to little kids than he is on Australian international law, I wouldn't put a lot into his posts. I also do not know what the Australian laws are in this case but your embassy here should be able to get you that info.

Hi again Maureen,

you might have something and I would recommend contacting your Australian Embassy here and ask what the laws are for an Australian National defrauding Australians abroad. Can they face an Australian court instead of kangaroo court. Pardon the roo pun, unintentional.

As NamKangMan is much more knowledgeable about Phuket transportation woes while throwing out wais to little kids than he is on Australian international law, I wouldn't put a lot into his posts. I also do not know what the Australian laws are in this case but your embassy here should be able to get you that info.

"As NamKangMan is much more knowledgeable about Phuket transportation woes while throwing out wais to little kids than he is on Australian international law, I wouldn't put a lot into his posts." - are you seriously suggesting an Australian Courst has jurisdiction for crimes committed in Thailand???? cheesy.gif

Nope.

Advised the poster to get information from her embassy here as opposed to digesting information from people on a forum board who may or may not be,,,clinically insane.

So, now the Australian Embassy is a solicitors office able to advise on civil matters. cheesy.gif

Ahhh, yes, the "clinically insane." :) :)

Hi again Maureen,

"As NamKangMan is much more knowledgeable about Phuket transportation woes while throwing out wais to little kids than he is on Australian international law, I wouldn't put a lot into his posts." - are you seriously suggesting an Australian Courst has jurisdiction for crimes committed in Thailand???? cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3951237149 width=32 height=20>

Doubt he is...but if you had an ounce of crtical thinking, you might understand he is asking the question that perhaps there is something they can do, should he get off here and should he go back to Oz at any time in the near future....similar to the under age sex crimes....punishable back home no matter what you do while overseas, including again when released from any punishment.

I think there are at least 6 charges on the warrants some are civil and some are criminal charges (defrauding the public) etc.

I would suggest to anyone who has been ripped off by this person to contact a lawyer and file in Thailand against him.

I think Mr. Hayes is still in jail as his bail is 20mil baht.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How can he re-enter Thailand when there is an arrest warrant out on him?

Why was he not arrested in 2011, when another arrest warrant was issued?

Depends whether the entry point had a working and up to date computer system. No doubt there are less sophisticated entry points.

Very good question, does anyone have updated info on this, court dates or where the whole sorry saga is at the moment.

How can he re-enter Thailand when there is an arrest warrant out on him?

Why was he not arrested in 2011, when another arrest warrant was issued?

Depends whether the entry point had a working and up to date computer system. No doubt there are less sophisticated entry points.

Very good question, does anyone have updated info on this, court dates or where the whole sorry saga is at the moment.

He is probably out on bail and started up another company, in his wife's sister's name, called it "Sunshine Sundays" and it's business as usual. :)

• 1 month later...

PHUKET: Rell Hayes, the Australian founder of the Stoney Monday Oasis Hotel in Phuket, has denied criminal charges of embezzlement and six counts of fraud involving more than 80 million baht.

His defense will be heard in court when his trial begins on June 10.

Rell Vivien Hayes, 51, was arrested in Krabi in November after Phuket Provincial Court issued two separate warrants for his arrest: one in 2009 and the other in 2011 (story here).

Mr Hayes appeared in court on December 19 to hear the charges against him and to learn his trial date, explained Weerasak Promthong, a lawyer representing six plaintiffs in the case against Mr Hayes.

“It would have been to his benefit to confess his crimes in court, but he denied all charges,” Mr Weerasak told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

Following Mr Hayes’ denial, the judge set the trial in motion.

“On June 10, the court will hear witness testimony from the prosecutor. Police investigators, Mr Hayes’ wife and a land agent involved in one of the land transactions will be at the hearing,” explained Mr Weerasak.

“On June 11, Mr Hayes will have to appear in court to hear more witness testimony, and on June 12, Mr Hayes will appear in court to hear testimony in his defense,” he added.

“I am not sure whether or not the plaintiffs will appear in court on June 10 with Mr Hayes,” said Mr Weerasak.

Meanwhile, Mr Hayes remains incarcerated at Phuket Prison.

“Bail was set at more than 26 million baht, one-third of the damages claimed,” Mr Weerasak said. “Mr Hayes was unable post bail.”

Hi all, could the poster who gave me information on Rell Hayes's father (bank details) please make contact with me again as I lost all information from my computer and would like to contact you, also does anyone have any updated info on whether the court case is still set down for June 10th, Thanks Maureen.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The development was going great until the Government went under in 06.

A lot of money was paid for condos off the plans...A lot of local heavies were paid off..

Despite that...the military running the country just made it too hard to continue with construction.

Not all blame on Mr Hayes, but he did lead an extravagant lifestyle on OPM.

(other peoples money).

Hi , do you know the outcome of Rell Hayes trial, Thanks Maureen and Todd.

• 4 months later...

This guy was featured on Australian TV last night in a program titled "Embassy".....showed him still in jail, with his 27yo son scooting around Phuket trying to raise 250k bht bail......not sure how long ago it was filmed, l would say early 2014.....of course he did not look like he was coping too well being banged up.

This guy was featured on Australian TV last night in a program titled "Embassy".....showed him still in jail, with his 27yo son scooting around Phuket trying to raise 250k bht bail......not sure how long ago it was filmed, l would say early 2014.....of course he did not look like he was coping too well being banged up.

Why do you use this term banged up? Does that not mean someone who has been set up unlawfully?

the show never went into details about his crimes but gave the impression he was surely guilty.

My guess as usual the "investors" get zero back.

the goose was probably played by someone else and pulled the pin when someone have to take thr fall.

anyway im sure the show said he was living now in Perth, tho im not definite about that

Why do you use this term banged up? Does that not mean someone who has been set up unlawfully?

the show never went into details about his crimes but gave the impression he was surely guilty.

My guess as usual the "investors" get zero back.

the goose was probably played by someone else and pulled the pin when someone have to take thr fall.

anyway im sure the show said he was living now in Perth, tho im not definite about that

Banged up is a common term for anyone in jail...well it is from where l come from....if it is someone "who has been set up unlawfully".....l probably would of used "stitched up"

Will have to relook at the end of the show to see if they said he was back in Perth.

• 4 weeks later...