Changing $100.00 in Thailnd

Easier to just use a card an the ATM. Sure they might charge 180baht per transaction. Pull out 20,000 and its hardly worth worrying about.

Can we pull 20.000 again now? I don't use the atm anymore since they changed it to 12000 a time so i don't know.

Who changed it to 12,000 baht? As far as I recall it has been a 20,000 baht limit per transaction. Or perhaps it is the ATMs I use (KTB or SCB)

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Given the good advice already posted about what bills to try & avoid bringing, any problems you DO encounter getting particular notes exchanged can almost always be resolved by simply going somewhere else with it.

Using ATMs just raises a different set of issues not really totally on-topic here.

Last time I changed money in Bangkok, I exchanged a stack of Singapore $1000 bills (about US$800 each) without difficulty, and in fact chose to go this route for both convenience (carrying a smaller stack) and economics ($1000 bills get better exchange rate). In fact, the fx rate was a fair amount better than bank wire rates. I used Super Rich in Bangkok, which is one of the best, and as a general rule its better to stay with money changers rather than a bank for large transactions...

Easier to just use a card an the ATM. Sure they might charge 180baht per transaction. Pull out 20,000 and its hardly worth worrying about.

Can we pull 20.000 again now? I don't use the atm anymore since they changed it to 12000 a time so i don't know.

Who changed it to 12,000 baht? As far as I recall it has been a 20,000 baht limit per transaction. Or perhaps it is the ATMs I use (KTB or SCB)

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My mastercard could only get 12.000 2 years ago. Then i had just bought a new kitchen and had to go the atm like 30-40 times to get the money needed and paid 150 for the atm+ 2.25 euro for my own bank every transaction again. Since then i bring cash only and hate banks now.

A quick answer....you need to be specific as to which currency you are talking about....Hong Kong Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Australian Dollar.NZ Dollar etc etc. believe it or not,....this is not an American forum.

And don't they have in America other currencies too? E.g. peso.

if you need to get rid of those horrible US $100 bills then come see me. I'll swap you for some fantastic freshly minted Zimbabwe Dollars

When I worked in Democratic Republic of Congo (Kinshasa) a few years back, the hotel was giving 870 or so Congolese Francs to 1 USD.

From the guys right out in front with fresh stacks in each hand I could get 900 or maybe 910.

In the alley around the corner it was 950.

Or, I could get US currency from the ATM in the hotel.

It's all depends on where are you going to exchange it. If you're going to exchange a lot of money usually people go to the exchange stores like super rich or K79 to get better rate. But one thing is that those stores will explore your bills so carefully. If it's too old, have a stamp or mark on it they won't let you change those bills. So what you can do is take those bills that are unaccepted from the store to the bank. I reccommend you to go to Siam commercial bank on the G floor and exchange it there. I just took my bills that were unaccepted anywhere to those bank and it worked for me.

Always use the newest bill, of the most recent version. No tares, no stamp marks, no writing.

Never had a problem in Thailand but a huge problem when I was in Kenya. 10 % exchange surcharge

changing bills older than 2007 and could not exchange bills older than 2003. ATM limit was about

220 dollars. Bank charges were 10 dollars per transaction so very expensive. While not popular anymore

Travellers checks are the way to go in many countries for safety and cost savings. Some countries

like Argentina or Venezuela have unofficial exchange rates many times your in your favour.

So there US cash is king.

Those counterfeit pens that places use in the us.Counerfeit bills are getting thru them also.I wouldn't doubt there are plenty of those super counterfeit bills all over the world.And unless secret service investigates they are getting passed,noone the wiser.

Another rec for Super Rich here.

Also, if you're near MBK, across the street and just a few doors down from the art museum (northward) is a small exchange place I've used many times over the years, their rates about the same as SR.

Getting cash in US banks and telling the cashier you need new, clean notes usually will get you a puzzled reaction. If the teller is from another country they will understand perfectly why you're asking for such.

I always bring $100 AUD notes to Thailand and found no problem exchanging money as long as the notes are not torn or damaged. The best exchange rate provided seems to be at SUPERRICH. You can also download the SuperRich app for Android at Google Play store - not sure if one is available for Apple. smile.png

I always seem to get a few extra baht for usa $100 at http://www.vasuexchange.com/ ...never had them reject a US $100 bill.

before you leave America get travelers checks from American express, if you have an amex card no charge and you get the best exchange rate in thailand. lost or stolen totally reimbursed only way to go.

Not entirely true. I have an AMEX gold card, but because there's no AMEX office near me in the US, there's nowhere that I can get them for free practically speaking (called AMEX and verified this...). My credit union charges a 1% fee. In Thailand, the banks will give you a better rate than for notes, but this rate will be nearly the same (within a satang or two) as the cash exchange rate at the independent money changers plus you'll have to pay some small fees (but these independents will not cash TCs). Also, TCs can be difficult to cash; not so in Thailand, but in other countries (eg., Philippines). I've sworn off them, but I have a thai bank acct now and just get all my money wired. Otherwise, I'd probably still be using TCs as "emergency" money.