Information on Protest Sites

Scott

Some help please. I am sort of forced to visit BKK for three days of meetings. Although having property in Chaeng Wattana I decided to stay nearer my meeting areas and have booked the Novotel Ploenchit.

Help please.

I will arrive Swampy at about 3 pm on the 27th, due to a heavy case I could see the airport link being a bit of an issue, so I would like to know

A). Is a taxi from Swampy to Ploenchit manageable

B). My meetings are at Makassan and Wireless Rd, any issues around there and any transportation issues.

C) what's the situation in the close proximity to the hotel.

Many thanks

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A) Yes - feasible, AFAIK

Makassan area should be OK, Wittayu (Wireless) is accessible, and depending where on Wittayu, you are within walking distance.

B) Wittayu, & Ruam Rudi, (adjacent to Novotel) are all open, but traffic is very heavy. Ploenchit is open, but most traffic diverts to Lang Suan at that intersection, rather than proceeding on to the Ratchaprasong intersection, (although it is feasible).

All of the above can change if a march is called for these areas, but marches seem to have been less frequent in recent days.

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1

nonthaburial: As samtam said there shouldn't be too many issues getting to the hotel. Unless you've got meetings at the Japanese Embassy then you should be pretty ok to walk from the Novotel to as far as Lumpini Police Station without requiring a change of clothes.

Getting to Makkasan (again, a location indicator would be helpful) shouldn't be too hard either but depending on where and what time of day could decide a few things.

Driving back from Ploenchit via Lang Suan, Sarasin and Wittayu was pretty congested today at around 4 pm, but traffic coming in the opposite direction was moving quite quickly aided by a traffic policeman actually directing traffic, and assisting its flow. (I had to rub my eyes in disbelief.) I've never seen one before. Perhaps he was encouraged by knowledge of the very efficient PDRC "traffic director" at the Wittayu/Lang Suan interesction.

Gosh, if only the traffic police could actually direct some traffic, (say at interesections along Sathorn where U-turns from Tai to Nua are causing snarls. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy. Oh, silly me.

Driving back from Ploenchit via Lang Suan, Sarasin and Wittayu was pretty congested today at around 4 pm, but traffic coming in the opposite direction was moving quite quickly aided by a traffic policeman actually directing traffic, and assisting its flow. (I had to rub my eyes in disbelief.) I've never seen one before. Perhaps he was encouraged by knowledge of the very efficient PDRC "traffic director" at the Wittayu/Lang Suan interesction.

Gosh, if only the traffic police could actually direct some traffic, (say at interesections along Sathorn where U-turns from Tai to Nua are causing snarls. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy. Oh, silly me.

I noticed this last week as well.. Called the wife and even she said "b.s, nobody is ever in that box" (the police box on Sarasin and Langsuan), they were even attending the box at the Rajdamri intersection... That one really made the wife laugh... But she did have a slice of humble pie the next day when she was with me and they were still doing their job...

The only snarl was Friday afternoon last week along Wireless between Rama IV and Sarasin - well I'm sure it dragged on past Sarasin but I wasn't going that far down...

Actually the lights on Sarasin and Rajdamri were wigging out on Thursday and there were BiB directing traffic... A sight to be seen, for sure...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Saw a black shirted group heading from Asoke in trucks down past Nana about 10 this morning. Through the Asoke protest site still only a few motorcycle taxis getting through. Tents up the middle, literally no one about, very quiet.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Any advice would be highly appreciated on the up coming trip to Bangkok in two weeks time. I have been to Bangkok many times to know that the protests are only in a small area of the city. The problem that I am facing this time is that I have my in-laws in tow. We are in Sathorn Soi 1. The old man has a bad a knee and so we are car bound for most of the time. There is no need to go downtown to Central World ect. Will try a see a few things such as Emailed Buddha and reclining Buddha. What is the traffic situation like in and out of Saturn soi 1. Will drive away from Lumpini Park so hope that will work. Any advice from you locals will be highly appreciated as I want to try and make the in laws first trip memorable despite the protests going on. Thanks in advance.

Chaeng Wattana update

Passed through the actual site at 11:00am today. Deserted. Most traffic still being diverted around the back of government house. The army are now very visible and establishing bunkered positions around the site.

Any advice would be highly appreciated on the up coming trip to Bangkok in two weeks time. I have been to Bangkok many times to know that the protests are only in a small area of the city. The problem that I am facing this time is that I have my in-laws in tow. We are in Sathorn Soi 1. The old man has a bad a knee and so we are car bound for most of the time. There is no need to go downtown to Central World ect. Will try a see a few things such as Emailed Buddha and reclining Buddha. What is the traffic situation like in and out of Saturn soi 1. Will drive away from Lumpini Park so hope that will work. Any advice from you locals will be highly appreciated as I want to try and make the in laws first trip memorable despite the protests going on. Thanks in advance.

Traffic in Sathorn is not blocked on either the soi 1 side or the other, (North), but it is very congested most of the time. But you can also access soi 1 from the other direction, (soi Ngam Dupli, via Suan Phlu). As a result of the congestion everywhere soi 1 is also very congested. But if you are prepared to put up with waiting in traffic for considerable periods, a car is certainly feasible.

Just noticed you said in two weeks' time...so of course the situation might be very different then. For the better, one hopes!

Edited by samtam

Traffic into Saladaeng continues to be a very slow process, but it was interesting to see another non policeman directing traffic at the soi 1 & 2 intersection by the Legend condo:

post-36039-0-45097100-1393414977_thumb.j

and this (below) is the painfully slow traffic working its way along Saladaeng towards Silom, (passing Zanotti on the right). I only now walk to and from the BTS at Saladaeng.

post-36039-0-75385900-1393415129_thumb.j

Photos taken at around 2.30pm today.

Edited by samtam

Suk 24 is fine AFAIK, but closer to the Asoke protest site and intersetion of Asoke & Sukhumvit is a problem as the traffic there is blocked, and there are protest crowds there every night.

But, if you take Airport Rail Link from the airport to Phayathai BTS, and then the Sukhumvit Line to Phrom Phong Station at Suk Soi 24, you're good to go. You could also take ARL to the Makkasan Station, and then take a taxi from there to Suk Soi 24.

As things stand right now, a return taxi trip from Suk Soi 24 to Don Mueang shouldn't be any problem.

Suk 24 is fine AFAIK, but closer to the Asoke protest site and intersetion of Asoke & Sukhumvit is a problem as the traffic there is blocked, and there are protest crowds there every night.

But, if you take Airport Rail Link from the airport to Phayathai BTS, and then the Sukhumvit Line to Phrom Phong Station at Suk Soi 24, you're good to go. You could also take ARL to the Makkasan Station, and then take a taxi from there to Suk Soi 24.

As things stand right now, a return taxi trip from Suk Soi 24 to Don Mueang shouldn't be any problem.

thanks for your help much appreciated

thanks for your help much appreciated

I would add that Suk 16 - 24 jam up a lot from the traffic detoured around Asoke, but it's heaviest around rush hour. Agree with TGJIB that you shouldn't have significant problems.

Edited by impulse

Hi All,

Hope i am in the correct forum? Myself and 5 other lads are heading over to BK next week for a splash and dash, 4 days.
Just have a few of the boys a little concerned with the mess that is happening at the moment, i have asked a few of my mates that are living in BK but i am getting mixed info, so a few questions that i hope you guys can clear up for us.

1. Is there any safety issues with Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza or even Patpong?

2. Walking around at night i hear is a small risk! is this correct?

As an expat myself that lived in LOS for 10 years, i don't have too many concerns but a few of the others are hearing mixed signals.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Shamus

Are there any protesters still around Ratchadamnoen? Specifically, is it crazy to try to go see Muay Thai in the evening at Ratchadamnoen Stadium?

Thanks for any insight.

Yes, Ratchadamnoen is still closed. Don't go anywhere near there, especially after dark. As far as I know the boxing stadium is still closed indefinitely. It has to be because there isn't any access.

Hi All,

Hope i am in the correct forum? Myself and 5 other lads are heading over to BK next week for a splash and dash, 4 days.

Just have a few of the boys a little concerned with the mess that is happening at the moment, i have asked a few of my mates that are living in BK but i am getting mixed info, so a few questions that i hope you guys can clear up for us.

1. Is there any safety issues with Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza or even Patpong?

2. Walking around at night i hear is a small risk! is this correct?

As an expat myself that lived in LOS for 10 years, i don't have too many concerns but a few of the others are hearing mixed signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Shamus

Soi Cowboy is in the thick of the Asoke protest. The area is fine in the day, but I don't know about the night time. It's business as usual for many thousands of us working around Asoke, as long as you don't need to park a car.

Nana is in a space between major protest zones, and is probably good all the time (well, as good as it is normally with the touts, street vendors and other red light risks).

To my knowledge, no grenades have gone off, nor shots fired that weren't directly related to a well defined protest group, and very little (if any) have occurred during the day- with the exception of earlier tear gas volleys which are easy to see coming and avoid.

In the current melee, I don't think a single tourist has been killed and AFAIK, only one injured -in a red zone on the linked map. In the meantime, dozens of foreigners have died from car wrecks, balcony falls, boat crashes, and other normal tourist dangers- certainly not unique to Thailand, nor related to the protests. With 20+ million tourists a year, bad luck says some of them will meet their end while on holiday here.

Stay out of the marked red zones at night, mind your manners, exercise common sense and you should have a great time. Probably no more dangerous than walking around after an important football match in Europe.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210550963008557722983.0004ea041241da07d86cb&msa=0&ll=13.758894,100.548248&spn=0.107544,0.184364&dg=feature

Edited by impulse

Guys. Whenever I visit BKK I always visit some places around the lido cinema on soi 2 and soi 1 siam square, is this affected by the protest site? I always use the skytrain to get into siam from victory monument so the traffic doesn't bother me.

Guys. Whenever I visit BKK I always visit some places around the lido cinema on soi 2 and soi 1 siam square, is this affected by the protest site? I always use the skytrain to get into siam from victory monument so the traffic doesn't bother me.

If it's in the red zone on the map linked on post #500, it will be affected. If it's around BTS Siam, it's very heavily affected. But a daylight visit by BTS should be okay.

There's a chance the places you want to visit are closed due to lack of customers. And always a chance that the gathering will turn ugly if something triggers it.

Edited by impulse

Traveling on BTS is pretty much unaffected.

But Siam Square is a protest area, and best avoided, especially in the evening and night hours.

Just a few days ago, someone fired a grenade on the street near the nearby Rajadamri protest site, killing several people and injuring a lot more, at 5 or 6 pm in the afternoon. It was just the latest in a series of these kinds of incidents.

You really don't want to be hanging around protest sites, especially in the evening/night hours.

• Like 1

Are there any protesters still around Ratchadamnoen? Specifically, is it crazy to try to go see Muay Thai in the evening at Ratchadamnoen Stadium?

Thanks for any insight.

Forget it.

If you're looking for Muay Thai then the new Lumpinee stadium is away from the protest areas and AFAIK is open for business

www.muaythailumpinee.net

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great. I need to go from Nana to Emporium area, driving.

Anybody know re CWattana? I need to go to a place in the gvment buildings. First of all, it was open shortly, then it wasn't, because of the monk---then today I read he will decide when he wants, but it has not been opened yet ???

Thks

eddy