Thousands march to US Embassy in Bangkok

webfact

OK, some of the protesters according to the Nation were carrying placards saying:

"stop serving Thaksin regime," and "Get Out, Thaksin's servants."

How is that message NOT against the U.S. government? How is that different really than Yankee Go Home? How is that not an accusation that the U.S. is meddling in internal Thai conflicts? Please tell me. I get delivering a letter to the ambassador from a leader of the opposition. I don't get, agree with, or approve of the unfair anti-American message of those placards.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, some of the protesters according to the Nation were carrying placards saying:

How is that message NOT against the U.S. government? How is that different really than Yankee Go Home? How is that not an accusation that the U.S. is meddling in internal Thai conflicts? Please tell me. I get delivering a letter to the ambassador from a leader of the opposition. I don't get, agree with, or approve of the unfair anti-American message of those placards.

As ever, JT, you are letting your paranoia get the better of you. Come on.... It's a million miles from Yankees go home. No one is telling you to GTF in reality, ...just some less than erudite person frustrated with trying to get rid of a corrupt system. It is not accusing you of meddling in internal affairs, (although to be fair, both your country and mine have a disgustingly long history of doing just that). But to reiterate, it's not about bruised American egos, so do try to get back on track, there's a good lad.

Rent-a-Mob, led by Oxford educated former PM. Not Oxford standard thinking or planning.

As ever, JT, you are letting your paranoia get the better of you. Come on.... It's a million miles from Yankees go home. No one is telling you to GTF in reality, ...just some less than erudite person frustrated with trying to get rid of a corrupt system. It is not accusing you of meddling in internal affairs, (although to be fair, both your country and mine have a disgustingly long history of doing just that). But to reiterate, it's not about bruised American egos, so do try to get back on track, there's a good lad.
  • Like 1

Nice try. That message most definitely IS accusing my government of meddling in internal Thai conflicts. Just dealing with the current legal government, whatever it is, is doing NO such thing! Those placards were inflammatory, unfair, and yes anti-American.

No, Virginia, this doesn't make me "pro red shirt" to object to the kind of cheap anti-American tactics represented in those placards.

If that is not the message they wanted to convey they should have had political operatives confiscating those placards. So I am left to conclude that IS the message they wanted to convey. Message received.

And again you get it 100% wrong. Knee jerk reactions all the way down the line. Korn's speech is available. it is in English so you won't need an interpreter or translation.I am sure the full text of the letter given to the ambassador is available as well. Nothing anti-American went on today other than in this thread :)

The placards were for their visit to PTP :) They wisely chose to close up the offices for the day and do a runner ... something in the personality traits of the reds I think (their leadership at least!)

• Like 1

Nice try. That message most definitely IS accusing my government of meddling in internal Thai conflicts. Just dealing with the current legal government, whatever it is, is doing NO such thing! Those placards were inflammatory, unfair, and yes anti-American.

No, Virginia, this doesn't make me "pro red shirt" to object to the kind of cheap anti-American tactics represented in those placards.

If that is not the message they wanted to convey they should have had political operatives confiscating those placards. So I am left to conclude that IS the message they wanted to convey. Message received.

JT. Arm chair observers and Ideologues can be intellectually challenged.

For those in the comfort zone of their lazy minds, only the blatant and inescapably obvious is patent. Anybody who has read the 12 Mandates from 1938 will understand the subliminal psyche that such mandates have created: an overblown notion that Thais can do no wrong and consequently, are better people. Farangs, on the other hand, are not to be trusted. Your conclusion is correct.

As far as the red vs. yellow thing, I sincerely do not believe EITHER side of that spectrum represents political ideals that the current U.S. government could actually endorse. They are both EXTREMES, yes? Thai people, I think fix this mess yourselves if you can, and don't involve the U.S. government. Thailand the USA are long standing friends and the USA will deal with most any government Thailand puts up, but that doesn't mean they have to LIKE it.

Edited by Jingthing

These people are as dumb as a box of rocks. The people of the United States are unsympathetic to groups who attempt to topple a legitimate government through non-democratic means. They're lucky they didn't try to rush the embassy because the Marines are not nearly as benign as the Thai army headquarters guards appear to be.

• Like 1

As far as the red vs. yellow thing, I sincerely do not believe EITHER side of that spectrum represents political ideals that the current U.S. government could actually endorse. They are both EXTREMES, yes? Thai people, I think fix this mess yourselves if you can, and don't involve the U.S. government. Thailand the USA are long standing friends and the USA will deal with most any government Thailand puts up, but that doesn't mean they have to LIKE it.

Finally, a glimmer of understanding of the matter in hand. Well done, JT, I knew once you calmed down you'd get there. tongue.png

Oh, yeah....leftover placards from a cancelled protest, just happened to be held up by protesters at the us embassy:,Get Out........,

I don't think so.........

Perhaps you and JT should go back and read the OP ...

They went to PTP .. it was closed :) In fact I think you will find a photo of it locked up in this thread.

JT thinks very highly of the US ..."protesting at the embassy of the most powerful nation on the planet" --- geeze get down off your high horse. Go back and re-read the OP ... catch the footage that is available on the TV or online and get sense of perspective. I certainly did not see those placards present at the embassy in the footage I watched tonight!

It is always easier to bluster and get indignant than to look at things rationally and use some critical thinking and even more determination to find things out. I am glad my dad insisted I be one of those that look into things rather than simply have an opinion :)

I don't want to drag this out but, NO, re-read it, asoke, embassy , ptp, in that order....of little consequence. It was very ill-considered and potentially damaging. I don't like thugs on either side and , more significantly, nor does the vast majority of the Thai population

Oh, yeah....leftover placards from a cancelled protest, just happened to be held up by protesters at the us embassy:,Get Out........,

They went to PTP .. it was closed :) In fact I think you will find a photo of it locked up in this thread.

JT thinks very highly of the US ..."protesting at the embassy of the most powerful nation on the planet" --- geeze get down off your high horse. Go back and re-read the OP ... catch the footage that is available on the TV or online and get sense of perspective. I certainly did not see those placards present at the embassy in the footage I watched tonight!

It is always easier to bluster and get indignant than to look at things rationally and use some critical thinking and even more determination to find things out. I am glad my dad insisted I be one of those that look into things rather than simply have an opinion :)

Yooper, you need to study up on parliamentary democracies (including the Westminster model) and quit trying to make comparisons to a country with a president. In all of Thailand's history with the democracy experiment only one administration has completed its term.

And what administration was that?

I don't want to drag this out but, NO, re-read it, asoke, embassy , ptp, in that order....of little consequence. It was very ill-considered and potentially damaging. I don't like thugs on either side and , more significantly, nor does the vast majority of the Thai population

They went to PTP .. it was closed smile.png In fact I think you will find a photo of it locked up in this thread.

It is always easier to bluster and get indignant than to look at things rationally and use some critical thinking and even more determination to find things out. I am glad my dad insisted I be one of those that look into things rather than simply have an opinion smile.png

I am glad you feel capable of not only labelling people that at the embassy and at PTP and at Asoke today were totally peaceful as "thugs" as well as speaking for the majority of Thai people.

I try not to speak for the majority of Thai people, or Americans, or anyone else..... I do try to speak for myself :)

Now to your bit of foolishness .... as you said ... Asoke, Embassy PTP ....PTP last ---- hence not "leftover placards for a cancelled protest"

next?coffee1.gif

JT thinks very highly of the US ..."protesting at the embassy of the most powerful nation on the planet"

Apparently the protesters also think the USA is very important as they bothered to protest there at an embassy that has nothing to do with their INTERNAL conflict.

I would hope that we all have a reasonable degree of respect for our own nationalities. Isn't that natural for Thais, Americans, or anyone?

As far as the USA being the most powerful nation on the planet descriptor, that is obviously a fact in terms of both economic and military power. For now anyway. Who can really deny that?

Edited by Jingthing

They're marching on the U.S. embassy because the U.S. is the de-facto leader of the United Nations. If there is a coup, the U.S. has more power than anyone in legitimizing the new government. Conversely, if the coup is deemed illegal, then crippling sanctions must be imposed. That's why the protesters are emphasizing that the current government has lost its right to rule. Because if the right to rule has been lost, then it is a righteous and, moreover, *legal* act to usurp power from Yingluck and her party.

Consider the role the U.S. played for Egypt with the same issue. It wasn't that long ago...

Edited by aTomsLife

Sorry the relationship of Egypt to the USA and Thailand to the USA aren't remotely similar. It is worth noting in that context though that anti-Americanism is at historic highs in Egypt from pretty much all political factions there.

I really don't think anti-Americanism is a major factor in the Thai political conflict but if Korn wanted to communicate to the ambassador, there are telephones.

Edited by Jingthing

You missed my point entirely.

The U.S. recognizes Egypt's new government at the U.N, despite that it is the result of a military coup. That is what the Thai protesters want if and when Yingluck is forced from power.

Edited by aTomsLife

The U.S. is recognizing Egypt's new government at the U.N. That is what the Thai protesters want if and when Yingluck is forced from power.

Again, why the obnoxious anti-American placards then accusing the U.S. government of doing something it has not been doing in Thailand? Do you think that was helpful and diplomatic? I would suggest the opposition worry about winning their battle first and international recognition later.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

JT thinks very highly of the US ..."protesting at the embassy of the most powerful nation on the planet"

Apparently the protesters also think the USA is very important as they bothered to protest there at an embassy that has nothing to do with their INTERNAL conflict.

I would hope that we all have a reasonable degree of respect for our own nationalities. Isn't that natural for Thais, Americans, or anyone?

As far as the USA being the most powerful nation on the planet descriptor, that is obviously a fact in terms of both economic and military power. For now anyway. Who can really deny that?

LOL ....

Cherry picking ... gotta love it smile.png

. I have no respect for Americans that get indignant about a peaceful protest delivering a letter and a short speech outside of an embassy. Particularly when there is no anti-Americanism present. I would think that an American would not get indignant over a free speech issue. I would think that someone that considers America "the most powerful nation on the planet" would understand that merely presenting that letter publicly brings attention to the cause of the people that were there. Same as it did for the red shirts in April of 2010 I think.

Did you go back and watch the footage of the events at the US embassy? Did you notice that the placards were not in any of the footage there? Does your knee hurt?

edit: in case some people do not know I am from the US.

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1

The U.S. is recognizing Egypt's new government at the U.N. That is what the Thai protesters want if and when Yingluck is forced from power.

Again, why the obnoxious anti-American placards then accusing the U.S. government of doing something it has not been doing in Thailand? Do you think that was helpful and diplomatic? I would suggest the opposition worry about winning their battle first and international recognition later.

Fair point. But I never said the protesters were doing a good job of things. Just sharing my reasons for why they were directed to the U.S. embassy in the first place.

JD: I have no problem with a letter or a speech. Don't play games and act like I do. So you're saying those anti-American placards weren't there when our press source here says they were? That's a different story. The message in those placards were inflammatory and anti-American and were false accusations. Doing normal business with a current legal government is NOT taking sides in an internal conflict. There is no reasonable reason to think that if the opposition manages to "win" and take power in a new legal government of Thailand that the USA won't do business with them as well. Why wouldn't they? IF the Thai situation escalates to civil war then maybe foreign countries would take sides, but I somehow doubt that, and if that happens many or even most of us will be leaving anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

Need not even be said. US will recognize whoever is in power in Thailand. Again, the US does NOT care about any of this and will work with whoever is in power to maintain diplomatic and economic relations . . . unless Thailand's new regime starts trying to develop and sell long range nuclear weapons to the highest bidder.

Edited by Scott

What did Korn or the letter accuse the US of doing that it has not been doing?

and again the placards you are crying about were seen in Asoke not at the embassy. I will happily apologize if you can find me even one picture of this offense at the embassy that has so enraged your sensibilities that you now think that freedom of expression only is OK if it doesn't mention the US.

BTW --- there are 43 secs of video on the BKK post site ... please watch it as it ends with footage at the embassy. Looks like a great, clean, respectful rally to me smile.png

edit --- some absolutely fabulous shots on demotix ... and yet ... no offensive placards! .. That knee must be hurting! Fast ... blame the Nation!

Edited by jdinasia

The U.S. recognizes Egypt's new government at the U.N, despite that it is the result of a military coup. That is what the Thai protesters want if and when Yingluck is forced from power.

Need not even be said. US will recognize whoever is in power in Thailand.

I agree, the U.S. will do just that. But it's still worth mentioning.

Page after page of posters asking why the Thais feel the need to protest at the U.S. embassy and no mention of the U.N. Felt an important aspect was missing from the discussion.

The engorged Thai military class and a relatively peaceful and well developed Thailand is a beneficiary of the billions the US showered on Thailand during the Vietnam War to ensure the evil nasty commies wouldn't get a foothold in SE Asia. Thailand got roads,development,healthcare,gogo bars and airports whereas Vietnam got Agent Orange , bombing into the stone age and self-determination, John Pilger and the opportunity to humiliate a global hyper-power.