Thousands march to US Embassy in Bangkok

webfact

Why does every country that has a problem turn to USA either to blame or to ask for support. How come I never see then ask China or Russia or India. I think American citizens are pretty sick of being the police of the world. This is a problem of Thailand and it needs to be settled in Thailand. I feel that Yingluk is a poor leader but she was democratically elected and must finish her term unless she commits a crime and is impeached. We were stuck with Bush but he was legally elected and was allowed to finish his term as god awful as he was.

You are 100% right. We have to put up with the Obama regime administration as well no matter how we disagree or how we (those opposed) think he's an inept president. Regardless, he was voted in. If we don't like it we wait (r.e. Rule of Law) for the next election and see what they have new to offer. My thinking on this whole thing here is that it is ridiculous, it will happen again and again because they do NOT follow the Rule of Law. Means absolutely nothing here. How many times have they changed the constitution??!! How many times have they said, 'ok this time we will push you out of power because of your corruption and put in place our own brand of corruption"...Really? And yeah, why march to the USA embassy?

Remember last time when they asked for US help with the floods, the US Navy came from SIngapore or Malaysia (I can be wrong from whence they came) but were turned back because the Thai gov't decided they can handle it on their own....better to save face and let the problem get worse. You think we want to help this place at all?

• Like 1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, other than totally off topic stuff .... and a good update to the OP that shows there was absolutely no need for the knee-jerk reactions of some ... did I miss anything in the last hour? A protest group went to the Embassy, gave a letter declaring the current government has no legitimacy, Korn spoke in English briefly, they moved on ....

and a bunch of people decided TVF was the place to discuss US foreign policy etc.

Yeh, that is about it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Wireless Rd in the near future, knocking on the door and begging to be let in...

There was no "he" in my post, but I will assume you mean Abhisit. I am sure he will be back on Wireless Rd. in the future, as an invited guest and not begging to be let in.

Let's not forget that Abhisit holds dual Thai/UK nationality, nor that he probably has never had to beg for admittance anywhere (unlike certain other ex-PM's)

You can forget Abhisit has dual Thai/UK nationalities.

He was born in England during the time you could APPLY for the British nationality, he has the right to do that, but he never did.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. He is a UK national by their law. You are welcome to visit the Thai.gov website (or any other) to research this. however AFAIK he has never used a UK passport.

http://www.thaigov.go.th/en/news-room/item/61118-prime-minister-abhisit-vejjajiva-on-thai-citizenship-and-thai-cambodian-relations.html

Edited by jdinasia

These threads are always nice to bring out all the Anti-American lunatics who you know have taken the bait from their own national news and governments, "Don't look too closely at what we are doing, look at what America is doing wrong."

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 1

I saw thousands of protesters while ago. So many rode in motorcycles but those who walked

made the most number.

I wonder why Abhisit went by skytrain while the people walked.

wow DGIE -- did they build a new special skytrain from Asoke to the US Embassy last night?

As if the U.S is going to side with rebels to overthrow Thailands elected government. What an absolute pack of Morons these Yellow shirts are. So if the U.S doesn't side with them what are they going to do, resort to violence against the Embassy and demand that the U.S accepts their terms like they are trying to do to the Thai government.

• Like 1

There you go the true colours trying to manipulate and disorientate Thailand.Is this a veiled threat if you carry on respecting the elected when we get into power we will side with China in any conflict within the South China Sea. Abhisit is wrong to get this protest movement going and Suthep his puppy. Bloodshed in 2010 well what next? Go to the polls fight it through the legal way not on the streets of Thailand. Disgraceful.

History reveals many countries were founded on revolution. People in distress, without confidence in their elected officials and who perceive fhey are without a voice, do rebel.

The debate over which outside power supports Thailand, Thaksin(s) or whomever, and their motives, is conjecture at best.

I opt to watch quietly and let Thais work out a Thai problem.

• Like 1

Why does every country that has a problem turn to USA either to blame or to ask for support. How come I never see then ask China or Russia or India. I think American citizens are pretty sick of being the police of the world. This is a problem of Thailand and it needs to be settled in Thailand. I feel that Yingluk is a poor leader but she was democratically elected and must finish her term unless she commits a crime and is impeached. We were stuck with Bush but he was legally elected and was allowed to finish his term as god awful as he was.

Deleted post edited out

Yeah! Wouldn't it be nice if Europe, China, and Russia paid for the worlds defense? BTW...great job preventing the war in Bosnia when the US decided to stay out of it (of course, there's no oil there right?).

Don't you see how foolish the US or any other country for that matter to get involved in internal politics of Thailand? The US cannot see this "request" as anything but a fools errand. The US must regard any sovern nation it's legitmately elected government even if they may not particularily feel that government is doing the right thing or not. Thailand and USA have a strong relation going back to WW2 and before and if Thailand were ever invaded by force by a foreign power the US would be there in New York minute to help Thailand out regardless of what party is in power in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Exactly. This was a major tactical blunder by the Yellow Shirts and Mr Abashit. First of all, US Embassy has tried very hard to remain neutral, other than mouth standard phrases about democracy and rule of law, which is what they always have to say. Leading a demonstration against them based on ridiculous accusations is going to backfire - unless the Yellow Shirts want to give the country to the Chinese, which I don't think is on their agenda.

The Yellow Shirts might also consider who has been supplying and training the Thai army for the last half century!)

He, Hey Buddies. Be care, the US Embassy guards (Marines) will shot you if you want to brake in. They are not a thai army.

The guards didn't shoot at the Tehran American embassy in 1979 ... coffee1.gif

There you go the true colours trying to manipulate and disorientate Thailand.Is this a veiled threat if you carry on respecting the elected when we get into power we will side with China in any conflict within the South China Sea. Abhisit is wrong to get this protest movement going and Suthep his puppy. Bloodshed in 2010 well what next? Go to the polls fight it through the legal way not on the streets of Thailand. Disgraceful.

Sadly I cannot use big colorful letters to say this .....

WHAT???????

That honestly has to be one of the most clueless posts I have seen in days! Where was there any threat veiled or otherwise? How do you "disorientate" a nation? Where and when was China mentioned? (and why would either Abhisit or Korn be inclined towards the Chinese in any way? They are both more western than I am!

Perhaps you should read the thread about ex-PM Anand's take on all of this :)

• Like 1

Exactly. This was a major tactical blunder by the Yellow Shirts and Mr Abashit. First of all, US Embassy has tried very hard to remain neutral, other than mouth standard phrases about democracy and rule of law, which is what they always have to say. Leading a demonstration against them based on ridiculous accusations is going to backfire - unless the Yellow Shirts want to give the country to the Chinese, which I don't think is on their agenda.

The Yellow Shirts might also consider who has been supplying and training the Thai army for the last half century!)

He, Hey Buddies. Be care, the US Embassy guards (Marines) will shot you if you want to brake in. They are not a thai army.

Some posters are clearly confused and shrouded in what might appear to be a fog of paranoia. For the purpose of clarity, and to try to keep the thread on topic, it should be understood that the protestors went to the US embassy for two reasons:

1. To hand in a letter clarifying their position and hopes

2. No doubt to gain publicity for themselves by going to a high-profile and friendly embassy.

• Did they attempt to storm the place? No
  • Did they attempt to attack any embassy staff? No
  • Did they attempt to ransack the embassy? No
  • Was the US flag or other emblem destroyed? No

How one interprets that as marching against the embassy is quite frankly beyond belief.

Their concerns were for the welfare of their own country, Thailand, and to rid it of a corrupt system.

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 1

Bizzare that they would march and protest the American embassy. These are supposedly educated class people?

Hmmmmm

What embassy has educated and class people that would not demean the marchers protest?

Edited by thailiketoo

Suggest you read The Nation article heading this thread, it says demonstrators were carrying placards which read, "

1. stop supporting Thakdin regime.

2. Get out, Thaksin's servants "

Now, I confess I was not at the demonstration, so I can only assume that what The Nation has printed is accurate. If you can prove The Nation is lying, or guilty or disinformation here , be my guest.

Otherwise, the message seems very clear: the demonatrators were protesting what they perceive as America's support of a democratiically elected government. I am sorry, but the damage has been done,

and the Yellow Shirts have shot themselves in the foot by trying to make this an international iissye

ote name="Rob8891" post="7099478" timestamp="1385733654"]

Some posters are clearly confused and shrouded in what might appear to be a fog of paranoia. For the purpose of clarity, and to try to keep the thread on topic, it should be understood that the protestors went to the US embassy for two reasons:

2. No doubt to gain publicity for themselves by going to a high-profile and friendly embassy.

How one interprets that as marching against the embassy is quite frankly beyond belief.

Their concerns were for the welfare of their own country, Thailand, and to rid it of a corrupt system.

Your correct. Silly little people acting silly. They would probably protest libraries if told Thaksin checked out books from those libraries. Hope they are having fun at least.

I'm not American, but have to question what on earth has to do with the current issues in Thailand? Are these people now so desperate and delusional that they are imagining enemies on every corner? Abhisit led this march? Just becoming crazy.........

If you want attention, do you march to the embassy of Montenegro, or the embassy of the USA?

They are not saying that America is the enemy, they are asking (for something that will not happen) that America withdraw support from the current government of Thailand. The USA and Thailand have been strategic partners in this region for over 40 years .. there is no way that the USA will back this move, BUT it will get attention and external pressure brought on to the issues.

rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif> There was no mention of anything anti-american in the OP. Just a request submitted. Then they apparently kept going to the HQ of PTP. Will that request be heeded? Certainly not. It will likely get a statement from the ambassador, and news coverage around the world bringing more attention to the situation in Thailand.

Time to read a bit I think .....

"At the US embassy, protest representatives submitted a note to the US government..."

It's political theater, not anything to be taken seriously or to be considered threatening.

I don't know what everyone is going on about. As you two say, it's just a matter of making a statement and gaining a little publicity ... maybe a mention on CNN or the BBC. Certainly nothing threatening or that would get anybody shot by the marines. No serious blame is being attributed to the Americans. Handing in petitions is a fairly common undertaking when people are trying to score political points or make their position seem more credible.

One somewhat incoherent poster seems to be disappointed that the Thai army didn't shoot anyone when the protestors entered their compound and now seems hopeful that the Americans will start shooting people. Maybe some of us have been playing a few too many video games or watching too many Chuck Norris movies.

Edited by Suradit69

Yooper, you need to study up on parliamentary democracies (including the Westminster model) and quit trying to make comparisons to a country with a president. In all of Thailand's history with the democracy experiment only one administration has completed its term.

they can call it democracy or what ever they like, but they still operate corruptly, that the problem.

The comments about American wanting to stick their nose in Thais affairs or even caring is extremely grandiose. We don't care. The headlines on major news wires today include reports about dogs getting dental surgery, people arguing over cheap TVs at Walmart on Black Friday, men's health and how to get creative with Thanksgiving leftovers.

So if Thais marched on US embassy for media attention as some state, their plan did not work so well if doggy dental surgery and creative ways to use Thanksgiving leftovers are headlines, but nothing about Thailand is in the headlines. Even a story about a dog being found in rubble after deadly tornados is in headlines today.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

The comments about American wanting to stick their nose in Thais affairs or even caring is extremely grandiose. We don't care. The major headlines on news wires today include reports about dogs getting dental surgery, people arguing over cheap TVs at Walmart on Black Friday, men's health and how to get creative with Thanksgiving leftovers.

So if Thais marched on US embassy for media attention as some state, their plan did not work so well if doggy dental surgery and creative ways to use Thanksgiving leftovers are headlines, but nothing about Thailand is in the headlines.

There still seems to be quite a lot of confusion in this thread. The subject under discussion is Thailand, not the USA.

The protesters used the US embassy as a focus for media attention and got it.

I do not doubt that US-centric wire services didn't report it, but that is totally irrelevant to the OP and the whole thread.

No doubt this statement will be misinterpreted as anti-American, which it patently is not: if so, them mai bpen rai. There is much more at stake than a few ruffled feathers.

The comments about American wanting to stick their nose in Thais affairs or even caring is extremely grandiose. We don't care. The major headlines on news wires today include reports about dogs getting dental surgery, people arguing over cheap TVs at Walmart on Black Friday, men's health and how to get creative with Thanksgiving leftovers.

So if Thais marched on US embassy for media attention as some state, their plan did not work so well if doggy dental surgery and creative ways to use Thanksgiving leftovers are headlines, but nothing about Thailand is in the headlines.

There still seems to be quite a lot of confusion in this thread. The subject under discussion is Thailand, not the USA.

The protesters used the US embassy as a focus for media attention and got it.

I do not doubt that US-centric wire services didn't report it, but that is totally irrelevant to the OP and the whole thread.

No doubt this statement will be misinterpreted as anti-American, which it patently is not: if so, them mai bpen rai. There is much more at stake than a few ruffled feathers.

Too funny. So they were seeking media attention from Thai news wires . . . as if no one already knew or did not see 400,000 people running around the streets with whistles, signs and underwear over their head . . .