Thousands march to US Embassy in Bangkok

webfact

POLITICS
Thousands march to US Embassy

The Nation

30220870-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday joined a march of thousands of protesters who met in the Asoke area before heading to the US Embassy and Pheu Thai Party headquarters.

Posting a photo of himself riding on Skytrain on his Facebook page, Abhisit said, "See you in Asoke."

The march, which joined by thousands of people blowing whistles and waving national flags, started about 11am from Asoke skytrain. They then marched to the US Embassy on Wireless road.

The march was led by Abhisit and Democrat MP Korn Chatikavanij.

The protesters waved placards, some of them reading "stop serving Thaksin regime," and "Get Out, Thaksin's servants."

People along the road took their photos, blew the whistles and waved the national flag.

At the US embassy, protest representatives submitted a note to the US government, asking it to support them and stop supporting the ruling government of Yingluck Shinawatra.

They arrived at the Pheu Thai party headquarters about noon.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-29

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Police step up security at US embassy

BANGKOK: -- Police Friday stepped up security at the US Embassy for fear that a third-party group may use the confusion during the protest to attack the embassy.

Police were deployed from the Metropolitan Police Division 5, the Lumpini Police station, the Special Branch Police, the 191 Task Force and Arintharat commando unit to guard the embassy since in the morning.

Police also guarded that residence of the US ambassador and the consular office.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-29

Yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Wireless Rd in the near future, knocking on the door and begging to be let in...

I'm not American, but have to question what on earth has to do with the current issues in Thailand? Are these people now so desperate and delusional that they are imagining enemies on every corner? Abhisit led this march? Just becoming crazy.........

If you want attention, do you march to the embassy of Montenegro, or the embassy of the USA?

They are not saying that America is the enemy, they are asking (for something that will not happen) that America withdraw support from the current government of Thailand. The USA and Thailand have been strategic partners in this region for over 40 years .. there is no way that the USA will back this move, BUT it will get attention and external pressure brought on to the issues.

• Like 1

Yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Wireless Rd in the near future, knocking on the door and begging to be let in...

There was no "he" in my post, but I will assume you mean Abhisit. I am sure he will be back on Wireless Rd. in the future, as an invited guest and not begging to be let in.

Let's not forget that Abhisit holds dual Thai/UK nationality, nor that he probably has never had to beg for admittance anywhere (unlike certain other ex-PM's)

If he continues to act like a thug, and support those whose behaviour is even more thuggish, his welcome may not be as warm as you imagine.

There was no "he" in my post, but I will assume you mean Abhisit. I am sure he will be back on Wireless Rd. in the future, as an invited guest and not begging to be let in.

Let's not forget that Abhisit holds dual Thai/UK nationality, nor that he probably has never had to beg for admittance anywhere (unlike certain other ex-PM's)

• Like 1

A Placard (s) reading "get out, Thanksin's servants" sounds anti-american to me

rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20> There was no mention of anything anti-american in the OP. Just a request submitted. Then they apparently kept going to the HQ of PTP. Will that request be heeded? Certainly not. It will likely get a statement from the ambassador, and news coverage around the world bringing more attention to the situation in Thailand.

Time to read a bit I think .....

• Like 2

Why does every country that has a problem turn to USA either to blame or to ask for support. How come I never see then ask China or Russia or India. I think American citizens are pretty sick of being the police of the world. This is a problem of Thailand and it needs to be settled in Thailand. I feel that Yingluk is a poor leader but she was democratically elected and must finish her term unless she commits a crime and is impeached. We were stuck with Bush but he was legally elected and was allowed to finish his term as god awful as he was.

You don't know why...The USA is involved everytime, everywhere. From what planet you coming, Idaho? facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Yooper, you need to study up on parliamentary democracies (including the Westminster model) and quit trying to make comparisons to a country with a president. In all of Thailand's history with the democracy experiment only one administration has completed its term.

And which government was it that completed its term?

• Like 1