Thai protest leader meets PM, refuses to back down

Lite Beer

Lets think about the future.

What is the solution to current problems? This in effect Thailand's arab spring, but you might question the integrity and background of Suthep.

Here is my thoughts: Yingluck government should resign and military take over. Sutheps people's government sounds very vague and wishy washy. So how do you implement changes? The answer has to be use the existing system and remove the flaws. So that mean an appointed parliament by military, using a mixture of existing parliamentarians and electing those from the protest groups? There should be no overwhelming majority. Parliament improves laws and rewrites constitution.

Any other suggestions /improvements?

a. no one with a criminal record allowed to stand for election

b. no buying of votes allowed

c. no nominees allowed only mp's elected by the public

d. no advisers with criminal records

e. no "oh I forgot to declare that 50 million baht when I declared my assets" any undeclared assets are confiscated

would be a good start

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are comparing resumes, I worked on a farm when I was much younger - then went to school and then worked in the IT industry.

I would rather work 16+ hours developing software on a computer than 8 hours of working on the farm.

I have NO patience for anyone using derogatory statements towards rural folks, people working on farms or even grocery stores since without "those people" you would not be able to live.

What is the solution to current problems? This in effect Thailand's arab spring, but you might question the integrity and background of Suthep.

Here is my thoughts: Yingluck government should resign and military take over. Sutheps people's government sounds very vague and wishy washy. So how do you implement changes? The answer has to be use the existing system and remove the flaws. So that mean an appointed parliament by military, using a mixture of existing parliamentarians and electing those from the protest groups? There should be no overwhelming majority. Parliament improves laws and rewrites constitution.

forcing out the party that the people voted for will only lead to anger and a re-run of the same mess yet again

the only solution that could achieve any kind of political equilibrium is for the opposition to win the next election

surely that should be easy if the government is so terrible and the electorate are so cheap...no?

If we are comparing resumes, I worked on a farm when I was much younger - then went to school and then worked in the IT industry.

I would rather work 16+ hours developing software on a computer than 8 hours of working on the farm.

I have NO patience for anyone using derogatory statements towards rural folks, people working on farms or even grocery stores since without "those people" you would not be able to live.

Good for you and there are millions of farmers who work all their life on the farm, they do so day in/ day out.

They do not swing in the hammock waiting for a hand out while pouring down their throat some cheap whisky .

Some people enjoy working with their hands , some with their brain, there are no "easy" jobs .

As for your no patience , I could not care less about it.

You got off your fat ass and studied to do something else , nobody is stopping them from doing the same. Nobody but the laziness

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

forcing out the party that the people voted for will only lead to anger and a re-run of the same mess yet again

the only solution that could achieve any kind of political equilibrium is for the opposition to win the next election

surely that should be easy if the government is so terrible and the electorate are so cheap...no?

Coining the expression: a day is a long time in politics. We have had getting on for 3 years of PT leadership and its pretty clear what their agenda is. Most Thais don't want this government. Unfortunately there is only one other choice. I know there is lots of small parties. Reform is required otherwise it will be same same again?

The elephant issue in the room here is whether Thailand really is ready for actual democracy or not or even REALLY wants it. Both the reds and the yellows don't really represent actual democracy. One can argue which is less democratic seeking than the other (the yellow side I think) but both sides fall well short. For westerners to suggest that Thailand has failed at this and maybe should look for a stable other Thai path that doesn't even PRETEND to be democracy (and be honest about it) is probably considered an insult to Thais, but look at the huge numbers of Thais who are saying in essence the SAME thing!

In any case, I think Thailand will continue with some kind of failed flavor of democracy in future if nothing else than to show a face of a modern "democratic" country to the world, even it's not for real.

Agree, where in Asia do you find democracy as we know it in the west?

Look at Singapore, Malaysia, and elsewhere in SE Asia, it´s mainly run by the chinese, same in Thailand, just that the Bangkok Chinese despise the "nouveau riche" Hakka Chinese/Thai from up north:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

Maybe a couple of real nasty civil wars, and 100 years more of suffering will wake people up, and get them ready for true democracy?

Edited by wilailuk

It'll be interesting to hear Abhisit's reaction

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i assume as zoo-keeper he will take full-responsibility for the escape of all the blood-thirsty animals but i'm most interested to know how he ended up being locked in the cage

• Like 1

Coining the expression: a day is a long time in politics. We have had getting on for 3 years of PT leadership and its pretty clear what their agenda is. Most Thais don't want this government. Unfortunately there is only one other choice. I know there is lots of small parties. Reform is required otherwise it will be same same again?

if "Most Thais don't want this government" it shouldn't be difficult to beat them in an election!

why create all this mess and give the red-shirts more to be angry about....?

why can't reform come after winning the election? (with a mandate from the electorate)

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to hear Abhisit's reaction

i assume as zoo-keeper he will take full-responsibility for the escape of all the blood-thirsty animals but i'm most interested to know how he ended up being locked in the cage

Thai society has Abhisit locked in a cage. In western politics he would not have to defer to his elders in politics or in years as he does here. If it were any western country he would have made a great leader, but deferring to the likes of Suthep.... has him caged.

Edited by cacruden
  • Like 1

YIngluk could take heat out of all this by simply dissolving parliament and calling new elections but of course Taksin wont allow that since he knows this is probably his last chance and he's quite willing to cause whatever simply to cling on.

I can understand anyone simply refusing to accept anything but total dispersal of the evil Taksin clan and none could trust a word they would say. Taksin has said so many times hell stay away from politics, he resigned and then withdrew that and has broken every promise so its understandable for Suphet to refuse any dealings at all.

How common people will take this I don't know but I do know Taksin has caused so much angst and hatred against him and his clan from normal ordinary people that they are simply totally fed up with him and want him and lot out.

One man and his megalomaniac ego has caused all this and its probably now a war to the end. It is simply not possible to compromise with this government who cock a snoop and openly say they wont recognise court decisions.

So you dont know how common people would react in an election but claim that normal ordinary would react different ?

Please tell us the difference between common people and normal ordinary people ? you seem to be saying they are a different class which inferrs you consider the common people to be inferior and not normal, well its the common people that have the mass vote and perhaps just perhaps that whilst this kind of attitude towards the common people prevails they will continue to mass vote for the party they think will benefit them at least somewhat. It sure isnt going to be the party who considers them to be inferior or abnormal i suspect.

Maybe thats why the past 8 elections have always been the same result, the common vote is the vote that counts not the rich or middle class but the commoner in their millions . wink.png

BS common people ordinary people <deleted> are you on about many common people or ordinary people or poor people or issan people or whatever you call them hate and loathe Taksin. Stop being so crass as to try and pretend to be champion of poor. Your probably like most hypocrites living very nice life . We harvest the rice and my wives family are about as poor as you could get but have through hard work made a decent living a bit removed from where they came from. They however are not so silly as to be brainwashed by red lies and Taksin BS.

You'd be good in a peoples star chamber sitting in judgement while lording it over all and pretending your really with poor.

Just like your master who thinks because he has fooled enough to vote he can do anything. Do you need a list of all dictators who were elected such as Mugabwie, Saddam, Hitler, Amin and countless others. If you can't see Taksin and his clan for what they are you are as blind as those who followed all other would be and successful dictators.

Best just call an election and then amnesty bill is dead but no that would not fit the plan to bring back Taksin at whatever cost

You made the distinction between the two not me, perhaps you have a problem expressing yourself properly and should be more clear in the first place. I Try not to get too wrapped up in the politics of any party as none really care about the people, there are elections that is where it is decided and should stay I do know the results every time in the last few and the endless crys of call an election we want an election every 2 years have always ended the same way. Then again that's not even what this mob wants this time apparently, just what they expect to be given or happen is a little bit vague.

Who said i even like Thaksin ? I don't but i do have respect for the election process and it should be allowed to run its term whoever is elected by due process, stamping about like a child in the meantime every couple of years impresses no one really..

As for dictators stop being such a drama queen, we hear far too much about every single problem since he left being attributed to good old TS the guy hasn't even been in the country for half a decade, talk about a ridiculous blame culture. The rich and elite have dictated in one form or another here for the past ooooooooo forever and probably will continue to, red, black, yellow,white its pretty much all the same only some atm the old money are trying to turn it back a few decades and ignoring the progress that has been made. Not exactly an enlightened bunch.

I hope your rice harvest is most bountiful and that you realise whilst on the farm in your little bubble it is only a minute part of the country and not as obvious where the vote lays as you seem to think, nor has been the last 8 elections and unlikely to be different next time. ATM I see nothing but a bunch of fools running amok disrupting daily events who fear to do it the legal and legitimate way as usual because they know they will lose, if they cared so much they would take the millions of baht wasted and use it to campaign properly and work hard towards changing the red heartland minds, but that's a little bit too long play minded for them i suspect.

Things will change only when attitudes do and I don't see that happening anytime soon with the pathetic assumptions that if someone disagrees or has a neutral point of view they must be on the other side etc .Frankly that's rather limited in thinking and synonymous with the very problems that continue to plague Thailand today.

Edited by englishoak

The elephant issue in the room here is whether Thailand really is ready for actual democracy or not or even REALLY wants it. Both the reds and the yellows don't really represent actual democracy. One can argue which is less democratic seeking than the other (the yellow side I think) but both sides fall well short. For westerners to suggest that Thailand has failed at this and maybe should look for a stable other Thai path that doesn't even PRETEND to be democracy (and be honest about it) is probably considered an insult to Thais, but look at the huge numbers of Thais who are saying in essence the SAME thing!

In any case, I think Thailand will continue with some kind of failed flavor of democracy in future if nothing else than to show a face of a modern "democratic" country to the world, even it's not for real.

Agree, where in Asia do you find democracy as we know it in the west?

Look at Singapore, Malaysia, and elsewhere in SE Asia, it´s mainly run by the chinese, same in Thailand, just that the Bangkok Chinese despise the "nouveau riche" Hakka Chinese/Thai from up north:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

Maybe a couple of real nasty civil wars, and 100 years more of suffering will wake people up, and get them ready for true democracy?

Malaysia run by the Chinese? don't think so mate.

I have no horse in this race, but it seems to me that Sutep wants the exact opposite of democracy. Overthrow the government and replace them with what? Like them or hate them they were elected by a majority. The bill to grant amnesty is gone, if Sutep gets what he wants, who runs the country and on who's authority? The government has made mistakes, if the majority of Thais don't like it vote them out in the next election, saying the votes were bought assumes that the majority of Thais are not intelligent enough to make choices on their own, that seems very elitist to me.

I think that's WAY too simplistic. From the POV of the opposition, Thailand today is not a democracy but more like a THAKSINocrazy. While neither side is particularly pro democratic, both sides have legitimate positions, and how this conflict ends seems very unclear.

YIngluk could take heat out of all this by simply dissolving parliament and calling new elections but of course Taksin wont allow that since he knows this is probably his last chance and he's quite willing to cause whatever simply to cling on.

I can understand anyone simply refusing to accept anything but total dispersal of the evil Taksin clan and none could trust a word they would say. Taksin has said so many times hell stay away from politics, he resigned and then withdrew that and has broken every promise so its understandable for Suphet to refuse any dealings at all.

How common people will take this I don't know but I do know Taksin has caused so much angst and hatred against him and his clan from normal ordinary people that they are simply totally fed up with him and want him and lot out.

One man and his megalomaniac ego has caused all this and its probably now a war to the end. It is simply not possible to compromise with this government who cock a snoop and openly say they wont recognise court decisions.

Only untouchables,elite and army hates Thaksin,because those three are the only ones who will loose all if Thaksin comes back.Those three are also the ones who kicked Thaksin out of office.When Thaksin was in office he tried to take power away from the army by trying to put friends and family into high positions,by cutting budgets.Those three parties are not interested in a democratic Thailand with educated people allover

the country.They want to keep their status.What we see in Thailand now we saw already

1789-179? in France.Thaksin was one of the best PM Thailand ever had.He did many things right,and most thais loved or love him.Sure in western eyes he is just another thief

and cheater but here is Thailand not USA or Germany.

Suggest you get a new history book.

Only untouchables,elite and army hates Thaksin,because those three are the only ones who will loose all if Thaksin comes back.Those three are also the ones who kicked Thaksin out of office.When Thaksin was in office he tried to take power away from the army by trying to put friends and family into high positions,by cutting budgets.Those three parties are not interested in a democratic Thailand with educated people allover

the country.They want to keep their status.What we see in Thailand now we saw already

1789-179? in France.Thaksin was one of the best PM Thailand ever had.He did many things right,and most thais loved or love him.Sure in western eyes he is just another thief

and cheater but here is Thailand not USA or Germany.

Suggest you get a new history boo

And why should I do that?1789-1799 french revolution,if u don't understand what I mean,it's ok

Marc Saxer of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung Thailand Office (FES) was on the Swiss television news program a couple of hours ago and said about the protests in Bangkok (translated from German): "I think that the next 24 to 48 hours will be decisive."

It took a while for the home page of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Thailand Office to load and I wonder whether and to what extent foreign non-government organisations (NGOs) support the two sides in the current conflict. On the website of the FES I read, for example: "The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) has actively supported social democracy in Thailand since 1970."

Can anyone reconcille the idea of an unelected "people's council" and returning power to the people? Because I don´t see how that is supposed to work.

Yeah, and does anyone actually believe that such a "People's Council" will be dissolved after just three months? Suthep, oh yeah, now I remember him. He's the guy who said the protesters "ran into the bullets" in 2010....

Edited by Jawnie

Marc Saxer of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung Thailand Office (FES) was on the Swiss television news program a couple of hours ago and said about the protests in Bangkok (translated from German): "I think that the next 24 to 48 hours will be decisive."

Well being that Thursday is the Kings birthday..... if they don't settle things by Wednesday..... someone is going to get their asses kicked (either by the army or those that revere their king.... which is pretty well every Thai I know).

Frankly, I don't see a reason in the world why the PM should resign. Better governance, sure, but resign...I don't think so.

In what alternative universe can anyone actually expect "better governance" from this particular PM?

The yellow side says no compromise, but if there was to be a compromise, a core of it would be the cult of Thaksin needs to phased out and yes new elections. Of course Thaksin could never agree to that ... so there we are again ... circle turning turning turning ...

Edited by Jingthing

"I told Yingluck that this is the only and last time I see her until power is handed over to the people,"

"The People", in this case not including the four dead people who died for this "cause". Who sounds like were probably students / young protesters ie. kids pretty much. And for what? Power handed over? How? Why? To who? Is the abstract concept of "power" worth even a grazed knee on a young person, much less their whole future life erased. For nothing. Nothing has been achieved. The massprotest large number of people on the street, for a day, was an achievement and a powerful statement. Everything since then has been tragic, stupid, pointless.

The BBC reported Suthep had given YL 2 days in which to stand down but no suggestion as to what would be done if she didn't.

A protestor interviewed said, more or less, they had run out of ideas.

• Like 1

if "Most Thais don't want this government" it shouldn't be difficult to beat them in an election!

why create all this mess and give the red-shirts more to be angry about....?

why can't reform come after winning the election? (with a mandate from the electorate) 

Are you deliberately ignoring all the cheating, lies and deception from this government that would have resulted in something far more serious in the UK?

So you dont know how common people would react in an election but claim that normal ordinary would react different ?

Please tell us the difference between common people and normal ordinary people ? you seem to be saying they are a different class which inferrs you consider the common people to be inferior and not normal, well its the common people that have the mass vote and perhaps just perhaps that whilst this kind of attitude towards the common people prevails they will continue to mass vote for the party they think will benefit them at least somewhat. It sure isnt going to be the party who considers them to be inferior or abnormal i suspect.

Maybe thats why the past 8 elections have always been the same result, the common vote is the vote that counts not the rich or middle class but the commoner in their millions . wink.png

BS common people ordinary people <deleted> are you on about many common people or ordinary people or poor people or issan people or whatever you call them hate and loathe Taksin. Stop being so crass as to try and pretend to be champion of poor. Your probably like most hypocrites living very nice life . We harvest the rice and my wives family are about as poor as you could get but have through hard work made a decent living a bit removed from where they came from. They however are not so silly as to be brainwashed by red lies and Taksin BS.

You'd be good in a peoples star chamber sitting in judgement while lording it over all and pretending your really with poor.

Just like your master who thinks because he has fooled enough to vote he can do anything. Do you need a list of all dictators who were elected such as Mugabwie, Saddam, Hitler, Amin and countless others. If you can't see Taksin and his clan for what they are you are as blind as those who followed all other would be and successful dictators.

Best just call an election and then amnesty bill is dead but no that would not fit the plan to bring back Taksin at whatever cost

You made the distinction between the two not me, perhaps you have a problem expressing yourself properly and should be more clear in the first place. I Try not to get too wrapped up in the politics of any party as none really care about the people, there are elections that is where it is decided and should stay I do know the results every time in the last few and the endless crys of call an election we want an election every 2 years have always ended the same way. Then again that's not even what this mob wants this time apparently, just what they expect to be given or happen is a little bit vague.

Who said i even like Thaksin ? I don't but i do have respect for the election process and it should be allowed to run its term whoever is elected by due process, stamping about like a child in the meantime every couple of years impresses no one really..

As for dictators stop being such a drama queen, we hear far too much about every single problem since he left being attributed to good old TS the guy hasn't even been in the country for half a decade, talk about a ridiculous blame culture. The rich and elite have dictated in one form or another here for the past ooooooooo forever and probably will continue to, red, black, yellow,white its pretty much all the same only some atm the old money are trying to turn it back a few decades and ignoring the progress that has been made. Not exactly an enlightened bunch.

I hope your rice harvest is most bountiful and that you realise whilst on the farm in your little bubble it is only a minute part of the country and not as obvious where the vote lays as you seem to think, nor has been the last 8 elections and unlikely to be different next time. ATM I see nothing but a bunch of fools running amok disrupting daily events who fear to do it the legal and legitimate way as usual because they know they will lose, if they cared so much they would take the millions of baht wasted and use it to campaign properly and work hard towards changing the red heartland minds, but that's a little bit too long play minded for them i suspect.

Things will change only when attitudes do and I don't see that happening anytime soon with the pathetic assumptions that if someone disagrees or has a neutral point of view they must be on the other side etc .Frankly that's rather limited in thinking and synonymous with the very problems that continue to plague Thailand today.

and who are you the next Suthep ?????

The article is a good read:

"They are spending around five million baht (HK$1.27 million) a day on sustaining the protesters, so he [suthep] must have people behind him providing that money."

There have been a lot of "pots" calling the "kettles" black, lately.

• Like 1

No new elections?
Did he really just say that in public?
And what is this 2-days business anyway?
If not two days, then what? What's the implication here?

I don't know much about this guy, but everything I hear him say just sends my BS detector to 11.

Why do people always say the government was elected? They PAID for there votes…. That is Not democratic. That is Corruption…and that is what the Yingluck Government is.

I am sick of hearing people repeat this nonsense.

My girlfriend and dozens of other people in my neighborhood NEVER received a single baht for their vote.
In the contrary, they spend a lot of money to go to the votes.

Agreed. Thaksin's supporters see him as a man who understands them and looks after their interests; a man who does not represent the elite who live off the backs of the poor. It matters not whether he is corrupt, that is the norm in Thai politics, and the money he is seen to have taken is not considered to be theirs anyway. Why would the people of Nottingham shun Robin Hood? . If this government were to fall the good people of Isaan would bring every deaf octogenarian grandmother, every crippled rice farmer and every hospital patient capable of breathing out to vote for whatever new political party Thaksin formed, even if his dog were the proxy leader.

• Like 2