Thailand protest leader Suthep gives PM Yingluck 'two-day ultimatum'

webfact

I have a hard time believing that the BBC persist on using that impartial ignoramus Jonathon Head to cover any Thai related story. It was sickening to see him molly-coddling Yingluck the other day through an interview that should have been asking searching questions, instead he just sat mesmerized making gentle cooing sounds, all starry-eyed at Yingluck who was wearing some sort of Geisha makeup. Preposterous.

And during the last events, when they burnt down Bangkok, we had CNN's Dan Rivers :>

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have the numbers an ultimatum is a waste of time, as things have spiralled out of control Suthep is going to lose support, I can't see where he is going, to win with this dogmatic attitude , the reasoning and easy way out would be a election , not forgetting the reason for the protest was originally the Amnesty Bill , now we have outa control civil disobedience, Suthep is pushing all the wrong buttons to succeed.

• Like 1

I just gave Suthep a two-finger salute, and he can keep it for as many days as he likes. He's made Thailand look like a tinpot on the world stage again, and his actions have led to loss of life, but he is still demanding power to the people - meaning plutocrat people he is friends with. It is no different to PTP nepotism, it is just another facet of autocracy.

I was 100% behind the mobilisation of 200k+ (or however many it actually was) people for a day of peaceful marches and speechmaking and general good atmosphere with your peers. I totally /blockmode everything that Suthep did after that first day of massprotest, it is not even relating to democracy on any level whatsoever.

well more fool you for believing that Suthep has anything but his own interests at heart and is prepared to see his own countrymen die to further his own self-interest. And yes, he is just like the other gentleman often mentioned on this forum. If these ultra nationalists come to power I fear for we foreigners in Thailand. Prepare to see your assets seized if you run a small business here. Prepare to be see qualification to right of abode restricted to a few necessary aliens. The nationalists hate foreigners. We will be next
Double the meds...you're still hallucinating!
read the anti-western speech that Suthep gave in January of this year. He blames western infiltration for many of Thailand's problems and wants westerners out of the country. Did you buy a condo in Pattaya?

First thing Suthep did after the 2006 coup was to sweep Phuket with anti foreigner rhetoric putting the wind up all the local Thais who were watching their tourism revenue go down the pan and bottoming out the housing market. I don't care for either, but loathe bully boy Suthep. He's showing Thailand for the third world country it is.

I just gave Suthep a two-finger salute, and he can keep it for as many days as he likes. He's made Thailand look like a tinpot on the world stage again, and his actions have led to loss of life, but he is still demanding power to the people - meaning plutocrat people he is friends with. It is no different to PTP nepotism, it is just another facet of autocracy.

I was 100% behind the mobilisation of 200k+ (or however many it actually was) people for a day of peaceful marches and speechmaking and general good atmosphere with your peers. I totally /blockmode everything that Suthep did after that first day of massprotest, it is not even relating to democracy on any level whatsoever.

well more fool you for believing that Suthep has anything but his own interests at heart and is prepared to see his own countrymen die to further his own self-interest. And yes, he is just like the other gentleman often mentioned on this forum. If these ultra nationalists come to power I fear for we foreigners in Thailand. Prepare to see your assets seized if you run a small business here. Prepare to be see qualification to right of abode restricted to a few necessary aliens. The nationalists hate foreigners. We will be next
Double the meds...you're still hallucinating!
read the anti-western speech that Suthep gave in January of this year. He blames western infiltration for many of Thailand's problems and wants westerners out of the country. Did you buy a condo in Pattaya?

Really?

I would have thought that would have been a very popular topic here in TVF.

I think you have an overactive imagination.

Unless of course you can go and fetch some evidence of the anti-western speech to support your claims, if not... then go back to sleep.

A really weird Nation. “Influential people” are above the law, court rulings are only accepted if they pleases the ones in power, corruption is an accepted part of the culture, a fugitive criminal runs the country via remote control, elections are considered free and legally as long as the most generous vote buyer wins and a guy with an arrest warrant on his head is visiting the (puppet) PM to give her a 2 day ultimatum.

As long as the by standing masses look at this mess and say: this is my country and I am proud of it. Nobody should wonder. Sad to see that a majority of ignorant non-participants let this happen as nobody seems to look over the rim of his/her rice bowl.

• Like 2

'auspices' well another report says 'in the presence of'. (Dictionary definition of auspices is below).

Quite different meaning and in reality very meaningful in the whole scenario.

"The protesters had declared Sunday the decisive "V-Day" of what they termed a "people's coup".

Well Mr. Head, is that a correct interpretation of what the majority / the leaders were saying? The word 'coup' has major connotations in this matter. Did the protestors say this actual word (in Thai) Mr. Head?

"They say Ms Yingluck's administration is controlled by her brother, exiled ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra, and they want to replace it with a "People's Council"."

Mr. Head you are a highly experienced journalist, one would expect that you are careful in your choice of words. Should the words be 'self-exiled ex-leader?

Definition of auspices:

Noun 1. auspices - kindly endorsement and guidance; "the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"
endorsement, indorsement - the act of endorsing; "a star athlete can make a lot of money from endorsements"

auspices

plural noun support, backing, control, charge, care, authority, championship, influence, protection, guidance, sponsorship, supervision, patronage, advocacy, countenance, aegis a peace conference under the auspices of the UN

I think he was actually talking about the fact that the military called the meeting and presided over it.

I think you may well be on the money, they (the Generals) will only let it go so far even if "Y" is the Defence Chief (pseudo me thinks) as someone eludeded to "Fathers Day" is fast approaching and it will culminate prior to that for sure.

I have a hard time believing that the BBC persist on using that impartial ignoramus Jonathon Head to cover any Thai related story. It was sickening to see him molly-coddling Yingluck the other day through an interview that should have been asking searching questions, instead he just sat mesmerized making gentle cooing sounds, all starry-eyed at Yingluck who was wearing some sort of Geisha makeup. Preposterous.

Better they have a replacement--like Steven Sacker---Janab Badawi, Sorry for the spelling of the 2 named 55555 but I guess Yingluck would have refused.

here we go again....

the Thai bed time story

Quite some time ago....Thai Airways used to have a TV advertisement that

started with a stewardess beginning a wai and saying "Once upon a time

Thai Air-...." She was really cute. Suthep isn't cute.

And if the Government doesn't bow down to a mad man and give him the power what is he going to do, order his sheep to start killing, burning and looting the country until it is handed over to him?

The man is a total psycho and not in any fit state to run a country. Who will he self appoint as he deputy, his son?

• Like 1

And if the Government doesn't bow down to a mad man and give him the power what is he going to do, order his sheep to start killing, burning and looting the country until it is handed over to him?

The man is a total psycho and not in any fit state to run a country. Who will he self appoint as he deputy, his son?

Love your avatar.... It totally fits your mentality.

The bbc has in my opinion become a joke. Allthough I am British I prefer al jazzera which appear to offer a balanced and informed view. Even CNN is better if not over sensational.

Love your avatar.... It totally fits your mentality.

thanks your sweet. Oh I love your empty one alsothumbsup.gif

So. It boils down to which elite you want. Because make no mistake,Yingluck IS elitist. Your choice is communist elite or capitalist elite. This leaves a vacuum in the middle where most reside. Either way, the populace pays.

Well...almost right!

I think, it is elite disguised as "for the poor" and elite not disguised as "for the elite"...but both just there to fill their own pockets and go on a crazy power- trip, leaving everybody else in their dust and dirt.

you said it better than I did, thank you.

The Government is showing its weakness by not throwing this thug into prison how can you have a democracy if you place people in power without elections as he is demanding.

All in good time and one step at a time according to the law. To me it looks like the government has shown a great deal of strength and restraint dispersing the illegal mobs. Tear gas and stinging-water cannons. Not even a single rubber bullet!
Both prominent democrat MPs, Mr. Abhisit Vejjajiva and Mr. Suthep Thuegsuban, are to hear their official indictment on 12 December, regarding their roles during the 2010 Military Crackdown murders.
Both Mr. Abhisit the former Prime Minister and his deputy Mr. Suthep who was in charge as the director of the Center for Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) at the time when the murders occurred have already reported to the Attorney General after they were charged by the public prosecutor with murder attempts back in 2010 (Black May).
However, both were protected from trial or arrest due to their roles as Members of Parliament, the indictment against them must be approved by court. I believe it has now been approved by that court. They are stepping on thin ice and the cracks are starting to show.
They are going to be indicted on the 12th. This for me answers the question of; Why the hurry to get the Yingluck government out within the next 48 hours so an un-elected "Peoples Council" can replace it? What's the urgency? Why can't the Yellow/Black Shirts/Democrats announce their platform now. The platform the details how they are going to make life better for everyone in Thailand and win a solid majority in the next election?
Perhaps later, one or both of them will be charged with sedition and... more.
The proposed amnesty would have applied to them as well. (They had their chance).
  • Like 2

Just Sutheps self proclaimed or given title, Secretary-General of the peoples Democratic Reform Committe, makes me wonder. What an utterly comic title this man has accepted from his followers. What does this man want other than back to power, something he could not achieve by legal democratic ways. He will bring power back to the people he say, what people, the morons creating havoc on the streets right now or the 60 or so millions sitting home watching TV. Poor misled folks following this false prophet, the prophet who will most likely end up in jail on criminal charges, even murder. Murder charges resulting from his last stint in power. Mind you my information is from the Thai media and international media, not from some conspiracy hungry theories floating around on different forums, and this one in particular. Personally i think it must be very hard for Mr Suthep to accept that Thaksin is much more popular than him, and that Thaksin has a lot more support from the so called common man than him. Could this be just a personal thing under cover of some fine democratic words. What a deadly joke it could turn out to be, if this is the case.

Also see post #59

here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/685902-bangkok-descent-into-chaos/

I did not follow the BBC in 2010 but I had heard they were just as wide of the mark as they are today. Also heard CNN was the same. No telling what fox was and is now.

We as English speaking people have the best chance of getting closest to the reality on Air Asia News. I caught the last part of an interview with Yingluck there. It was a pre scripted interview as no hard hitting questions were asked and the dumbest answers accepted.

Isn't this the 4th or 5th ultimatimum Suthep has given himself and/or others?

He's a bit over optimistic each time.

I would like to know if his sentiment and motives is really shared by a majority of the Thai people.

But since he does not want any democratic election, we will therefore not know how the

majority votes, i.e. how the majority thinks.

Vote-buying during elections is one of Suthep's main points for his revolt.

But, if democratic elections in general mean that voters vote as they want, then one can argue

that even having a democratic election where votes are bought, it is still a democratic election,

because the voters vote as they want. They made their own decision.

Admittedly, their (bought) votes are based on money received, but that money is

basically an incentive, and don't most political parties run on incentives, if not cash hand-outs

then their policies and promises that appeal to a certain group (and it usually appeals because

the voter think his life will improve, financially and otherwise, i.e. his own benefit).

By the way, most stories from Thais I've heard about vote buying also include that many will

happily receive the hand-out and then proceed on their way still voting as they themselves prefer.

Of course, in Thailand, one could ask, if there were no vote buying, how many voters could make

their own decision how to vote after considering all election programs. My guess is they would still

be persuaded by populist policies. How many farmers would understand the macro-economics of

the rice scheme and vote against it despite knowing they would get a higher price for their rice?

I think they only look at the latter. There would be no vote-buying, but there would be fancy promises.

Having said this, I know the other gripe most Thais have is the corruption, graft, self-enrichment etc

after the elections are over. But corruption is something not limited to government, it is in fact part of Thai culture.

Many will recall recent polls where Thais have admitted that corruption is ok if it benefits them personally.

With that attitude, just replacing the people in the government, whether in another government or a council,

does not guarantee a clean government. How many people can resist easily skimming off

say Baht 10 million from some government infra-structure project, knowing it would go unnoticed?

The attitude needs to change. How is Suthep going to do that?

• Like 1

We haven't heard from the constitution court yet.

Whatever happens I think Suthep has a "get out of jail free card"

The police say that no ministries were taken over yesterday.

The police with teargas an watercannon were progressively able to drive back suthep's forces.

So why prayuth tells the police not to use teargas?

December 2nd and counting

I never said I believed in him specifically. My factory setting is always extreme scepticism re; any politician. I believe in democracy, and so I supported the peaceful massprotest which is part of a healthy functioning democracy.

On the foreigners issue I think Thailand as a nation *knows* that it needs all the incoming money it can get (whether they admit it or not), and any sudden falangicide action will see Thailand lose so much money overnight she will be left with nothing but her eyes to cry with.

coffee1.gif

Sad to see these posters insisting that the hi so's are stupid and think Thailand does not need the expat and tourist money.

Even sadder is that they are clueless ask them to name the ones pulling all the strings they will tell you Thaksin and have no more names.

Always it is the mysterious Amarat. They are incapable of seeing that these mysterious dark shadows have been around all the time and yet it is still easy to get a visa to live here.

Wake up people they want us we are a very important part of their economy. They are not dummies.

The police with teargas an watercannon were progressively able to drive back suthep's forces.

Because the army and the police are on opposite sides.

I was under the impression that the police could not handle the situation and had called in reinforcements from the army.

In fact it was the red shirts they could not handle. What a surprise.

• Like 1