What is Politically Correct

Aoy999

What I hate is being called to as "YOU!" I know it's difficult for Thais to understand that using "you" with a verb as part of a conversation is fine, but getting people's attention with "You!" is very rude. However, it's a fact, and there ought to be a government campaign to educate Thais to that fact. Seriously. Tourism is a significant part of the economy, but one of the downsides for tourists is being bludgeoned with "YOU!" many times a day. And if you're a resident, it's much worse: you have to grit your teeth every time you hear it. Thousands of times per year.

You do know why it's used though right? It's not meant to be rude, in fact, just the opposite.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word "farang" comes frome the French word (during the Vietnam war) and is "ferenge" pronounced fah-ren-gee and all it means is "Foreigner". This does not bother me in the least.

It's just like in Canada for instance when we see Asians we refer to them as just that, Asians. Most can't tell if they are Thai, Malaysian, Philipina etc so we call them "Asians"

What should they call the mass of us when they see us?

But if you talk to an Asian, will you say "Asian, what are you doing?'

I doubt it - you would probably just ask "What are you doing?"

Some people are even offended by being called "you."

• Like 2

What I hate is being called to as "YOU!" I know it's difficult for Thais to understand that using "you" with a verb as part of a conversation is fine, but getting people's attention with "You!" is very rude. However, it's a fact, and there ought to be a government campaign to educate Thais to that fact. Seriously. Tourism is a significant part of the economy, but one of the downsides for tourists is being bludgeoned with "YOU!" many times a day. And if you're a resident, it's much worse: you have to grit your teeth every time you hear it. Thousands of times per year.

You do know why it's used though right? It's not meant to be rude, in fact, just the opposite.

Its used to avoid using a Thai pronoun which denotes status

Pointing and repeating a pronoun, especially one which identifies the person as lower status is EXTREMELY rude in Thai culture

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pointing and repeating a pronoun, especially one which identifies the person as lower status is EXTREMELY rude in Thai culture

Actually, it's used as a direct translation of a Thai pronoun which denotes no status whatsoever, but is polite and relatively formal 'Khun'.

Often used because the 'Pi/Nong' pronouns can be difficult to directly translate, and English doesn't have pronouns that denote status, so they go for the neutral one, and translate it as 'You'

No-one mentioned pointing, well you did, but you were the first :)

Actually, it's used as a direct translation of a Thai pronoun which denotes no status whatsoever, but is polite and relatively formal 'Khun'.

Often used because the 'Pi/Nong' pronouns can be difficult to directly translate, and English doesn't have pronouns that denote status, so they go for the neutral one, and translate it as 'You'

No-one mentioned pointing, well you did, but you were the first :)

Khun is an honorific and certainly does denote status henc the typical "you pai nai?"

As opposed to "khun pai nai?"

And pointing almost ALWAYS comes with it, in my experience

The word "farang" comes frome the French word (during the Vietnam war) and is "ferenge" pronounced fah-ren-gee and all it means is "Foreigner". This does not bother me in the least.

It's just like in Canada for instance when we see Asians we refer to them as just that, Asians. Most can't tell if they are Thai, Malaysian, Philipina etc so we call them "Asians"

I have never had a Thai say that to me (farang tamm arai) Normally they just say "taam arai". If they are curious of what I am doing they might even say "ka thot na khun taam arai" or (excuse me what are you doing" but never heard it the way you say. Or even more normal if I have a conversation with a Thai they usually as my name first "khun chue arai" than after they address me with khun + my name.

I have heard Thai's talking to Thai's about me and adressing me as "farang" which doesn't bother me in the least. Same as if I was in Canada talking to my friend I might say "Look at the Asians enjoying the scenery". How else would I address a group of Asians?

I quote from a Thai Tourist book:

"Guava looks like a big apple,green and round. The fruit is called farang in Thai and it is the same farang as they call the white people"

So,we are all big green apples,guys

It is the falling, rising, mid, low and high tones that change what 1 word means so in Thai language 1 word can have 5 meanings depending how it is said and some words like "khao" have 9 meanings or "mai" also has several meanings.

So they are not calling you a Guava hahahaha but it is a funny post and you made me smile for sure.

I have never had a Thai say that to me (farang tamm arai) Normally they just say "taam arai". If they are curious of what I am doing they might even say "ka thot na khun taam arai" or (excuse me what are you doing" but never heard it the way you say. Or even more normal if I have a conversation with a Thai they usually as my name first "khun chue arai" than after they address me with khun + my name.

I have heard Thai's talking to Thai's about me and adressing me as "farang" which doesn't bother me in the least. Same as if I was in Canada talking to my friend I might say "Look at the Asians enjoying the scenery". How else would I address a group of Asians?

Erm...perhaps as people......

• Like 1

"Falang" is not a bad word! Acutally, it is more of endearment term. Please do not think for a minute that Thais are racist by addressing you as "falang." Please stop and think for a minute, how would Thais know your nationality--how would they know that you are British, Franch, American, Aussie, Germen, Poland, Swiss or Belguim? It seemed you all look very similar to one another, so the word "falang" get used to refer to foreigners (especially white) that are not from the Asian and Middle East countries. It is not a deragotary term. FYI, Thais refer the people from Middle East contries as "Khak."

• Like 2

Actually where I come from being called "Hey you" is the height of rudeness. And I must confess I still cringe when Thais call "You, you!" although I do understand it is an attempt to translate "Khun" which of course has a very different connotation.

Aoy, I really do not understand the point of your OP. What is this "new Thai" thing? And many of your points are just flatout wrong. The term "farang" is not offensive. I do not know of one Thai person who considers this term offensive. Not one. If you are a Thai, you would know this.

Frankly, I do not believe that you are a Thai person. I think that you are a disgruntled farang masquerading as a Thai and complaining about the usual things that said farangs complain about. Please come clean.

I also agree that the 'F' word isn't offensive, and regularly use it myself [jokingly]. However, the way in which it's used, does often get my goat.

Whether Asian, African, or other, would it suit all to walk into a restaurant (for example) in 'another' country and be referred to as the Asian/African?

To walk past a stall-holder who is blatantly making reference to your race/colour/etc.

To ask advice in a shop, and have the staff member single-out your race/colour/etc out, at full volume, across the shop floor to another staff member who may hold the key to your request.

...I think not.

Actually where I come from being called "Hey you" is the height of rudeness. And I must confess I still cringe when Thais call "You, you!" although I do understand it is an attempt to translate "Khun" which of course has a very different connotation.

555, and when over on Sukhumvit, I often get called "Taxi". Strange, but I've been called worse!

"Khon dtang prathet" means foreigner. Farang means "white skinned person presumed to be European (or American/Aussie/Kiwi as these are all exactly the same.)"

What disturbs me about "farang" is not being labeled a foreigner, since obviously I am one. Rather it is the misunderstandings and generalizations implied within the way the term is applied.i.e.

(1) that all persons with Caucasian appearance are from developed western countries and vice versa, while in fact a person of Causcasian appearance could be from a country poorer than Thailand, or be South African, and blacks and Asian-appearing people could well be from a developed Western country.

(2) that developed western countries are all completely the same in terms of culture, customs, food etc.

Terms aren't important but it would be nice if more Thais became more knowldgeable about other countries and the variation therein.

I find Cambodians on the whole far ahead in that respect. While there is a similiar term "barang", (actually meaning French) it is seldom used indiscriminately these days, at least not by educated people. I'm usually described as a "boratay" by Khmers who are strangers, which is equivalent to "khon dang prathet" and racially/culturally neutral. Or "American" by those who know where I am from. Khmers are much more aware of the cultural differences between people from different countries while most Thai still seem to see the non-Asian world as homogenous entity.

However it is not a big deal, I'm used to it.

What I really dislike is when people sanitize a word by calling it "the word" or "the bomb"...such a "the N-word" or "the S-bomb".

That substitution means the same thing as the real word, therefore it should be just as offensive (if one is offended by such things).

If you are going to say it, put away politically correct bullshit and say the word.

As far as 'farang' goes, I take zero offense at being called that. My response is usually "mai chai farang...baak see daa".

But then I do not take offense at being called "honky", "whitey", or "cracker" either.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It was in jest--I was responding to a poster who preferred that someone just say "What are you doing?" Coincidentally, another guy was just saying how he hated being referred to as "you." The point being, the Thais just can't satisfy everyone. No matter what they call farangs, someone will be offended. Imagine referring to a Brit as Russian. Or God forbid, a Canadian as American. So I say they shouldn't sweat it. There's never malice intended.

"You...you!" here is analogous to saying "Sir...sir!" in the 'west'. There is nothing rude about it.

It is a thai speaker try for a generic word in English. In Thai he might use the generic 'luung', 'pee', 'bpaa', or 'nong'...the equivalent words in English do not really work.

• Like 1

It was in jest--I was responding to a poster who preferred that someone just say "What are you doing?" Coincidentally, another guy was just saying how he hated being referred to as "you." The point being, the Thais just can't satisfy everyone. No matter what they call farangs, someone will be offended. Imagine referring to a Brit as Russian. Or God forbid, a Canadian as American. So I say they shouldn't sweat it. There's never malice intended.

I'm a Scot, but people in most other countries (not in Thailand that I have heard) refer to all British people as English, they don't know that Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are also part of Britain. But it does not really bother me.

"You...you!" here is analogous to saying "Sir...sir!" in the 'west'. There is nothing rude about it.

It is a thai speaker try for a generic word in English. In Thai he might use the generic 'luung', 'pee', 'bpaa', or 'nong'...the equivalent words in English do not really work.

You are correct. Whether it's "you," or "farang," or "Mr," or "khun," it seems some people make an extraordinary effort to feel offended when there's no offense intended.

I'm a Scot, but people in most other countries (not in Thailand that I have heard) refer to all British people as English, they don't know that Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are also part of Britain. But it does not really bother me.

I'd meant to say Englishman, but got lazy. Americans are probably the most guilty as most refer to anyone from the UK as British. It wasn't until I traveled overseas that I realize that the English were separate from the rest, as were the Scots, Irish, etc. But I appreciate you not taking offense as none was intended.

• Like 1

But the people who usually call "you you" are these who would be similar rude in every country...scam artists who want to sell you something massive overpriced or trick you into something.

Yes I often do it per mistake.....And I know it is wrong but it slips out.....Specially Scots aren't English.....(But well I am always addresses as Australian, while I am in fact Austrian, not even FedEx could quote me a shipment to Austria....)

The second thing is to say America when you mean USA.

I was travelling along a small dirt road not far from where I am currently living, and I heard a shout "Oi, Paddy"

I turned round and saw a Thai guy pointing at me with one hand and waving the other one. Originating in Belfast myself I sometimes get offended with this, but just before I shouted at him, I ran of the road into a rice field.

Such is life, some see PC issues where there are none.............................thumbsup.gif

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

No-one mentioned pointing, well you did, but you were the first smile.png

Khun is an honorific and certainly does denote status henc the typical "you pai nai?"

So, you agree then. You is replacing Khun.

It's ok to agree, it won't hurt.

"Falang" is not a bad word! Acutally, it is more of endearment term. Please do not think for a minute that Thais are racist by addressing you as "falang."  Please stop and think for a minute, how would Thais know your nationality--how would they know that you are British, Franch, American, Aussie, Germen, Poland, Swiss or Belguim? It seemed you all look very similar to one another, so the word "falang" get used to refer to foreigners (especially white) that are not from the Asian and Middle East countries. It is not a deragotary term. FYI, Thais refer the people from Middle East contries as "Khak." 

Anyone who has to "address" soneone by their nationality OR race has serious problems

Stop apologizing for behavior that would be unacceptable if one of your coubtrymen acted that way just because said person is Thai

Thai people don't like it either

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No-one mentioned pointing, well you did, but you were the first Posted Image

So, you agree then. You is replacing Khun.

It's ok to agree, it won't hurt.

I never said otherwise;they replace it because they dont want to give you the respect associated with the word khun

Can you imagine if I spoke spanish but instead of using tu and yo I said you and I?

Can you imagine how stupid that would sound?

Then I wonder why I never see westerners pointing at Thais shouting khun khun?

Please enlighten me as to why?

Then I wonder why I never see westerners pointing at Thais shouting khun khun?

Please enlighten me as to why?

I can only speak for myself.

I usually do not use "khun" unless I have a name to go with it.

As to why there are not a bunch of farang running around shouting "khun khun"...maybe they are being rude and saying "you you".

Go right on ahead being offended...it must be miserable way to go through life, looking for offense at every turn.

• Like 1

Pointing is not rude here...unless you use your foot.

But the people who usually call "you you" are these who would be similar rude in every country...scam artists who want to sell you something massive overpriced or trick you into something.

Scam artists are usually not rude...until you call them on their bullshit