A warning to those looking to fly w/ Qantas from New Zealand via Sydney

TheGhostWithin

Hi all,

Long time traveller, first time tryer we thought we would skip the usual flight with Thai Airways Auckland to Bangkok direct and try Qantas Wellington via Sydney as it had an earlier arrival time into Bangkok. THe price was fine, about the same as flying direct with Thai and Qantas does not have a bad reputation (until now in my mind).

We arrived 2 days ago, after the check in counter opened 2 hours before departure (yes, it opened 2 hours before) and the flight left late. Flight was filled with Filipinos (there were no Thais and only 2-3 kiwi families) with phenominal amounts of overweight baggage (we are talking 3-4 large boxes each, plus normal luggage). 1 hour prior to landing realising we were late I asked the onboard staff to make sure both ourselves nad our luggage made our connection. I was treated like an idiot and told the flight was on schedule.

We arrived and literally had to sprint to the plane after recieving a grilling from Australian customs through the transit gate (hang on a minute, we cleared customs in NZ right and never set foot on Aussie soil beyond the customs area). Having made the flight, before I even sat down I explained to the flight cabin purser that we had arrived very recently and wanted to be sure that our luggage was on board. I was told "sir, you are on the plane, and your luggage is on the plane, sit down, everything is fine".

Once we sit, we realise the passengers chair in front of us will not lock (that is, it is in a permanent reclined state) and inches from my partners face. Not good if we had a rough take-off or turbulence on ascent. A sure safety hazard. The passenger reported the issue to a member of the cabin crew who replied "OK thank you sir" and walked off. She was asked again a few minutes later by the passenger on the chair if he had heard her and her response was "we are going to deal with it soon sir" (which I assumed meant that the passenger would be moved as it was unsafe for his back, but also that my partner would be moved as the chair could fly back in her face). A few minutes later another staff member came back and secured the chair. He said "please tell me if you need the chair secured again because you wont be able to". As soon as the staff member moved away the passenger proceeded to "unsecure" his chair, and we took off. The chair flopped and flapped around during take off, and for the next 9.5 hours. Come landing, the crew did not re-secure the chair, and when the partner of the male in the chair asked him to get it secured, he stated "I don't care, not my problem". The lack of safety awareness was shocking.

Upon landing we were told that all of our luggage was left in Sydney, along with 20-30 other passengers on-board. I asked to speak with Qantas staff about our luggage, but also about safety concerns I had about the plane. The staff told me that the staff were busy loading the very plane we had come off and that I could email Qantas with any concerns. They also advised that because my partner was Thai they would not offer compensation because this was her country. My partner is a New Zealand resident, and has no physical or financial assets in Thailand. We ended up sleeping on the floor of a friends apartment for the first night in Thailand. I asked for personnel from Qantas in Australia to call me (I have asked 4 times now actually) but each time my request has been ignored.

We are now in the situation whereby Qantas is refusing to send our final piece of luggage after 2 days in the country to her home in Yala, as they do not have a truck to deliver here. My partner has no clothes, no shampoo, no soap, no make up and is using her families clothes and soaps to stay clean. Still no compensation offered to us. We don't expect much, my mother had her luggage withheld for 6 days on a trip last month from Townsville and recieved a pittance $350 compensation for 6 days of ongoing asthma attacks (no medication, it was in her bags), no clothes and having to stay with her son in a small inner city apartment.

We will be flying with Thai next time, no matter what the price of the ticket or the arrival time - think carefully if you want to risk an experience like this when flying with Qantas to Bangkok via Sydney, Wellington or Christchurch in the future.

I never ever fly Qantas. The cabin staff are the rudest on any airline I have ever been on. In the past I have even stayed an extra night in Singapore as the only seat available that day was on Qantas.

• Like 2

Hi there LemonCake,

Thank you for writing. To answer your questions:

What is wrong with opening the gate 2 hours before: The flight from NZ was absolutely full (no free seats I am told), with most passengers having excess baggage, staff did not finish checking customers in within the required international aviation minimum check in period. We did not even have time to shop at duty free on the way through before boarding the service. We were 4th in the queue when checking in and were there at 4am ready to go. It was extremely and unnecessarily rushed.

How did I expect onboard staff to know if my luggage has been loaded? My partner worked for the airlines in Thailand before moving with me to NZ. It is policy of the airlines to confirm luggage has been loaded if a passenger asks in such situations. They call the flight gate who call the ground crews who confirm luggage has been scanned and loaded or not. It is a relativly easy and quick exercise I am told.

Upon landing and finding my luggage was not onboard I asked to speak with staff: Despite your concerns that I may have thought teleportation devices were in commercial use [sic], I expected staff at the airport to be able to confirm for me exactly when luggage would arrive and what I could expect in terms of reparation so that I could go and get a shower and buy a fresh set of clothes to change into. I expected to be treated as a human with a bit of compassion considering the lack of service they had provided.

Despite your understanding of the system at Suvarnabhumi, two companies handle Qantas (QF) flights out of Suvarnabhumi - BFS (Bangkok Flight Service) handle the face to face dealings with customers. There are also 4 staff members who work directly for Qantas who liaise with Qantas Australia and have the ability to make things happen. BFS staff do not. Their job is to check passengers in, get them on/off the plane and that is where it ends.

She should not recieve compensation based on the fact she holds a Thai passport: She is a Thai passport holder retaining New Zealand residence. She has not been in Thailand for 3 years, does not own a house, have a bank account or any other asset here. Her family live in Yala, on the other side of Thailand. Regardless, the ticket was purchased in New Zealand and therefore is subject to NZ Consumer law, and Qantas New Zealand policies - not Thai law or Qantas Thailand policies. This needs to be clarified with Thai staff.

I did not directly contact Qantas Australia, I asked the Qantas Thailand staff to ensure someone from Qantas Australia to contact me, as this is where the error occurred - I wanted an assurance that someone from Australia would be monitoring our luggage and ensuring that their error was rectified in a timely manner.

With regards to buying soaps, shampoos etc.. it is a matter of principle - we bought a ticket to ensure that Qantas transported us and our maximum 30kg luggage alowance from New Zealand to Bangkok - they failed to deliver our baggage, and only succeeded in delivering us on pure luck, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for the dig, it is great to spar with a fellow intellectual.

Fully understand your frustration, but again you are blowing it way out of proportion and in the process only hurting yourself and no one else.

Is shampoos and soaps, $1-$2 really worth the principal?

You say she worked for airlines, no doubt you are aware they do not all operate same way. Just as example for you, TG economy max check in is 20kg, while Qantas is 30kg

TG is somewhat strict on cabin size luggage, Qantas could not care less.

TG charges $58/kg for excess luggage and does not offer any discounts for prebooking

Qantas charges $30/kg and gives 30%discount for prebooking.

You also have insurance option when purchasing ticket for situations like this.

Yes it could of been a smoother flight, but it was not and i think you made it even worse by blowing it up out of proportion even more yourself.

PS. Sorry forgot to address the issue of residency.

You asking staff to break company policy because your personal situation, why should they?

I been living in Thailand for over 10 years, have business, have house, cars,dogs, cats and so on, in Australia i have nothing, not even a pair of old shoes, and yet i am still an Australian citizen with Australian passport and am a foreigner in Thailand.

Do you think it would be reasonable for me to ask some company to treat me same as Thai, against their policy or law because i reside in Thailand?

Say, allow me to purchase a car without the WP or residency certificate

Edited by lemoncake

OP, it is not a pleasant experience, but lets break it down little,

Firstly , what is wrong with check in opening 2 hours before?

You asked air hostess about your luggage, how do you expect them to know this or control this? Do you not realize not only they have no access to it or control over it, but its done by totally different department.

You say chair was not upright, fair enough, but if you were so concerned why not get up and move to any available sit?

Upon landing you discovered your bags were not on the same flight and asked to speak to staff? what staff and what did you expect them to do? fly it over for you with a speed of light?

People who loaded your bags at the point of origin are not the same people unloading it at the point of final destination.

Qantas management does not work in Thailand and ground crew are in no position to know why and how your bags missed the flight

You say, they refuse to pay compensation for your GF/Wife on the grounds that she is Thai, but you say she is NZ resident.

Well she may well be a resident, but she still holds and travels on Thai passport, do you not see that?

You say your gf/wife is without soap, are you joking? go buy 10 baht soap

No shampoo? its only 25 baht

No cloths? common really, go buy 70 baht tops

Some people really like to make themselves victims

You say you contact Qantas Australia with no response? Firstly why are you contacting Australia? you flew ex NZ, contact NZ office.

Secondly, if you not getting response from Qantas, why do not you call them?

I am sorry for taking a dig at you, but it seems you, yourself have made something easily fixed into a big drama.

Your reaction to the OP's complaints, reasonable or not, is exactly where the airplane things, yes things, are counting on.

If you fly cattle class, as it is known in the industry, count on it to be treated as cattle.

Excuse me, less than cattle.

Those things tend to forget that we are "customers", and we like to be treated as such.

If your luggage get lost because somewhere, somehow something went wrong, the airline should do anything to BRING the luggage to the customer.

• Like 1

Your partner had no shampoo etc because you did not go out and buy some. You let your partner suffer, such as it was, for 'principle'.

Yes, it was an unfortunate situation, and it sucks when it happens. True travelers realize this and take the steps to minimize the inconvenience, to make things the best they can under the situation they find themselves in.

The part about not sending your remaining bag out to Yala is unacceptable. They can get the bag there by any number of means.

Go out and buy you partner the toiletries etc she needs to tide her over, and also replace what she used from the family. And really, was using someone else' soap a hardship?

As far as compensation...for what? How much is a delayed bag worth per day? If you incurred real and documented costs associated with this fiasco, then sure, it is reasonable to ask for that. If you are looking for punitive damages I have zero sympathy.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You should have bought a Ticket to some sterile clean roon of a nation with waiters and waitresses standing by for your every whim.

Failing that, you could have gone to 7-11 for the basic toiletries or even splashed out and got clothes as well from Tescos!

Whichever route you choose, please be sure to pick up some tissues to wipe your eyes dry.

Why did you sleep on the floor of a friends apartment for the first night, did Qantas leave your hotel booking in Sydney as well ?

We needed to pay cash on arrival, my ATM card was in my bag. We had a choice of eating and sleeping on a friends floor along with getting from the airport and back there the next day to get on our flight to Yala, or staying in a decent hotel. We chose to live for tomorrow. It is one of those principals I was raised to appreciate.

my mother had her luggage withheld for 6 days on a trip last month from Townsville and recieved a pittance $350 compensation for 6 days of ongoing asthma attacks (no medication, it was in her bags),

We needed to pay cash on arrival, my ATM card was in my bag.

Asthma medication left in checked luggage and ATM card?

The only thing in my checked luggage is clothes. Everything else in my pockets and hand luggage.

You can learn a lot from this experience and minimise the impact of your luggage not arriving with you on your next trip.

You asked air hostess about your luggage, how do you expect them to know this or control this? Do you not realize not only they have no access to it or control over it, but its done by totally different department.

You say chair was not upright, fair enough, but if you were so concerned why not get up and move to any available sit?

Upon landing you discovered your bags were not on the same flight and asked to speak to staff? what staff and what did you expect them to do? fly it over for you with a speed of light?

People who loaded your bags at the point of origin are not the same people unloading it at the point of final destination.

Qantas management does not work in Thailand and ground crew are in no position to know why and how your bags missed the flight

You say, they refuse to pay compensation for your GF/Wife on the grounds that she is Thai, but you say she is NZ resident.

Well she may well be a resident, but she still holds and travels on Thai passport, do you not see that?

You say you contact Qantas Australia with no response? Firstly why are you contacting Australia? you flew ex NZ, contact NZ office.

I am sorry for taking a dig at you, but it seems you, yourself have made something easily fixed into a big drama.

Your reaction to the OP's complaints, reasonable or not, is exactly where the airplane things, yes things, are counting on.

If you fly cattle class, as it is known in the industry, count on it to be treated as cattle.

Excuse me, less than cattle.

Those things tend to forget that we are "customers", and we like to be treated as such.

If your luggage get lost because somewhere, somehow something went wrong, the airline should do anything to BRING the luggage to the customer.

I never said airline was in the right, but you also have to keep in mind, aircraft has something like 500 people and most of them in economy and each one has its problems and demands.

What i am saying is, problem happened, OP should have looked for ways out of it to minimze the problem, rather than magnify it.

Just imagine, senior manager contacts OP and his complaint is my gf does not have soap and shampoo

Or my GF does not own anything in Thailand, even though she is Thai, travelling on Thai passport, so you should trust me and compensate her.

You see what i am trying to say?

• Like 1

I would also like to add and agree wit above a I have been to 48 countries..... That once you enter the AIR SPACE of another country that country has RIGHT OVER YOUR PERSON - that is you fall under their rule of law. That is why alcohol is turned off on some arabian countriry flights.

Yes you LANDED at Sydney so you are AUTOMATICALLY going through Aussie customs and immigration same same if I went to New Zealand or USA and EVEN if I was only transitting.

Transit passengers in many counties are obliged to go through customs control procedures or immigration as it is also called.

And what about the people on board the flight? It makes it seem to me that Fillipinos are lesser than you or your Thai partner? Not nice to read about demographocs when you are a FOREIGNER here.

Why did you sleep on the floor of a friends apartment for the first night, did Qantas leave your hotel booking in Sydney as well ?

We needed to pay cash on arrival, my ATM card was in my bag. We had a choice of eating and sleeping on a friends floor along with getting from the airport and back there the next day to get on our flight to Yala, or staying in a decent hotel. We chose to live for tomorrow. It is one of those principals I was raised to appreciate.

wow really, between yourself(a self proclaimed long time traveler) and your wife the only access to funds was a sole atm card in your check on luggage.

Iam speechless.

• Like 2

Seems you had a bit of a nightmare experience, however, losing luggage on a stop over flight, I.e not direct is a relatively common experience, in the early 90's I was forever flying HK to London for meetings then onwards to a project in São Paulo in Brazil, the return leg being the same. Easiest way was London to Amsterdam, change planes onto São Paulo.

In those days, it was totally legal to bring vacuum packed meats back to The UK so my case was well and truly stocked with very good beef steaks. On one trip, I landed in London, but my meat didn't. Panic time, explained to the KLM handler at Heathrow, he called Schipol and told them my story, was told they had my case and it would be on a morning flight to LHR the next morning and the case would be stored overnight in a deep freeze..

The next evening, my case was delivered to my parents in Lincoln where I was stopping over and it was transported in a reefer van. Everything still frozen.

Your description of your fellow passengers from Wellington bought a smile to my face. I have never yet seen a Filipino or Filipino travel without the kitchen sink, they are notorious for it. Two stories spring to mind, a number of years who, I was a Cathay Gold Card holder and got upgraded to business class, on a HK - MNL flight, lo and behold what was strapped into a seat next to me but a Sony TV with the passengers name and address in Pampanga scrawled over it. As I was on a free upgrade I was loathe to complain. On more than one occasion, I have seen small feminine Filipinas being dragged around the luggage carousel by a case that was just too heavy for them to remove.

You may be frustrated and angry but come on look at the bright side of life.

• Like 2

wow really, between yourself(a self proclaimed long time traveler) and your wife the only access to funds was a sole atm card in your check on luggage.

Iam speechless.

As stated in the OP, we hand funds - but not enough to last us 2 days of moving, sleeping and eating around. It was not at all how we had planned our trip. I am not here to take criticism but to communicate during the high season that perhaps choosing which airline you fly with and why is an important decision which can cause or relieve huge amounts of frustration. We had a few thousand baht between us which would last 1 day at best. We stretched it and made it happen.

I would also like to add and agree wit above a I have been to 48 countries..... That once you enter the AIR SPACE of another country that country has RIGHT OVER YOUR PERSON - that is you fall under their rule of law. That is why alcohol is turned off on some arabian countriry flights.

Yes you LANDED at Sydney so you are AUTOMATICALLY going through Aussie customs and immigration same same if I went to New Zealand or USA and EVEN if I was only transitting.

Transit passengers in many counties are obliged to go through customs control procedures or immigration as it is also called.

And what about the people on board the flight? It makes it seem to me that Fillipinos are lesser than you or your Thai partner? Not nice to read about demographocs when you are a FOREIGNER here.

Mark, agree and did not have such an issue with having to clear Aussie customs but it did slow down the transit process a little.

The reason I raised that they were Filipino is that if you travel often you will notice that they tend to carry very large amounts of overweight luggage with them on their flights to bring things back home. The full flight only had 4 non-filipino families which I spotted (3 Western families/couples, and 1 Vietnamese family).

Despite your attempts to discount me as a racist, I actually love the Phils, I travel there annually and my best friend is a Filipino. My travel agents entire staff (in New Zealand) are largely Filipino and lovely people. It was not a racist swipe but more so a descriptive. It was also confirmed by a Qantas Thailand staff member that it was the reason our luggage was left behind on the second attempt to get our luggage over at Sydney (due to excessive aircraft overloading).

In NZ we have laws which state that any service which is purchased in NZ, weather intended to be used within NZ or not, must be clearly described and stand up to its' description or be subject to penalties applicable to that law (the Consumer Guarantees Act).

The OP's comment regarding Fillipinos and the amount of baggage they typically travel with was not in any way racist, it was an observation, and part of his narrative as a possible contributing factor to the baggage problems he experienced.

I would make the same observation about Chinese people. When I worked in Toronto, most of the time when I saw Chinese travelers it would be a large family group with two trolleys (real skycap trolleys, not the little self-serve ones that keep getting stolen from Suvarnabhumi) full of large hard-sided bags. While waiting for my bag one time I counted the family members and bags in one group...as close as I could get it was a minimum of two LARGE bags for each member of the herd, and there were enough additional bags to give half of the group a third bag.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I am not here to take criticism but to communicate during the high season that perhaps choosing which airline you fly with and why is an important decision which can cause or relieve huge amounts of frustration.

Your bags can go astray with any airline. It's not exclusive to Qantas.

They also advised that because my partner was Thai they would not offer compensation because this was her country.

This is incorrect, race has no effect, it's residency that matters in which case she'd be entitled to compensation. If fewer than 14 days have transpired, you can use this point to claim compensation.

They also advised that because my partner was Thai they would not offer compensation because this was her country.

This is incorrect, race has no effect, it's residency that matters in which case she'd be entitled to compensation. If fewer than 14 days have transpired, you can use this point to claim compensation.

I seriously doubt race had anything to do with it at all. It is the passport with which person travels

I seriously doubt race had anything to do with it at all. It is the passport with which person travels

No country of residence.

No country of residence.

Does anyone have a link to airline regulations in this regard?

Yes that is correct, it is country of residence. Passport has nothing to do with it. I have 3 passports I use depending on the country I wish to visit.

Thai law has nothing to do with compensation, compensation is between the carrier and the passenger. It all depends on where you purchased your ticket as to what laws are in place to cover you.

It is incumbent on Qantas to get your wife's bag to her. They stuffed it up and they should fix it, regardless of where you live.

I stopped flying Qantas about 20 years ago, even back then they made you feel like you should be privileged just to be allowed to be on their plane, and the trolley dollies are way too up themselves and can't really be bothered actually serving people.

Oh and to top it off, they have now asked the Oz govt to give them money to assist against competition from other airlines. Yet only a few years ago they were very fast to make it near impossible for any new domestic airline to operate in Australia.

A big thumbs down to them in every way.

• Like 2

Does anyone have a link to airline regulations in this regard?

At 21 days delay baggage is considered lost. Compensation under international agreements is required to be paid

For baggage delays, airlines are required to fully compensate customers for replacement of items until the baggage is delivered. ie: you can buy replacement clothes/toiletries.

Yes that is correct, it is country of residence. Passport has nothing to do with it. I have 3 passports I use depending on the country I wish to visit.

Thai law has nothing to do with compensation, compensation is between the carrier and the passenger. It all depends on where you purchased your ticket as to what laws are in place to cover you.

It is incumbent on Qantas to get your wife's bag to her. They stuffed it up and they should fix it, regardless of where you live.

I stopped flying Qantas about 20 years ago, even back then they made you feel like you should be privileged just to be allowed to be on their plane, and the trolley dollies are way too up themselves and can't really be bothered actually serving people.

Oh and to top it off, they have now asked the Oz govt to give them money to assist against competition from other airlines. Yet only a few years ago they were very fast to make it near impossible for any new domestic airline to operate in Australia.

A big thumbs down to them in every way.

I do not believe anyone said anything about Thai law in regards to compensation.

It is solely airlines regulation and in my understanding they base it on the passport with which you are travelling.

There has to be some public airline policy in this regard, but i can not find it.

Anyone have luck in finding Qantas regulations in regards to compensation?