Phetchabun Hospital - YES ! - Insurance scheme

CharlieH

• 2 months later...

I went in to Phetchabun hospital today at 3pm. Whistled through BP, xray and urine sample in an hour, but it was too late to get the lab results today. Will call in tomorrow to get results.

Only other item we needed to show was my wife's ID card. The nurse at the "general" clinic, who coordinated it all was great and spoke/understood English.

Getting free BP/heart medication will pay for the cost of the insurance.

Excellent!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Route21mkII

Completed the formalities today for the insurance, covering accident and illnesses, including any necessary medication provided by the hospital in Phetchabun and, if necessary, any referral to Phitsanulok or Bangkok hospitals.

Membership is, apparently, age-independent.

Will be able to pick up membership card after 1 month, but use receipt and medical results sheet to obtain treatment in the meantime.

Applications now taking 2 days:

1st day covers paperwork, blood/urine test, x-ray and payment of the overall 2, 800 cost. Blood sample is not taken until 1hr after taking a special pill.

3pm 2nd day pick up results sheet for immediate cover.

Hope this helps.

PS No appointment required. Just walk-in with passport, yellow book and wife's ID card and visit "information desk".

Edited by Route21mkII

I did all the blood tests, etc and was given a receipt, but was told to use the receipt if I needed health care. Are the Hospital now giving out cards ?

We were also told that I have to have these test every year, in order to keep up the Insurance scheme.

Edited by MrMuddle

I did all the blood tests, etc and was given a receipt, but was told to use the receipt if I needed health care. Are the Hospital now giving out cards ?

We were also told that I have to have these test every year, in order to keep up the Insurance scheme.

You don't mention which hospital you went to, but I was told by the nurse/coordinator at Phetchabun that I could come back in a month's time to pick up my card, but I should show the receipt and test results sheet if I needed treatment in the meantime.

For treatment under the scheme you need to go, in the 1st instance, to the hospital where you registered, but they will refer you on, if necessary, to the regional hospital (in my case Phitsanulok) or even Bangkok.

Yes, it's an annual insurance deal and so it's the same deal next time, but there's apparently no age limit (an 80 year old mate of mine has just signed up on my recommendation) and pre-existing conditions don't appear to affect it. I take aspirin and generic medications for BP, cholesterol and pulse rate - all of which will be covered under the insurance. They easily offset the up-front cost of the tests and insurance.

Also - it's good to know you have a safety net!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Route21mkII.
I was referring to Phetchabun Hospital. I also have pre-existing conditions, and that was OK too !
We have to got to the Hospital this week with my mum-in-law, I'll ask about the card while I'm there, thanks for the information.smile.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Route21mkII.

I was referring to Phetchabun Hospital. I also have pre-existing conditions, and that was OK too !

We have to got to the Hospital this week with my mum-in-law, I'll ask about the card while I'm there, thanks for the information.smile.png

All part of the service ;-)

Hope everything goes well for your mil.

R21

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes this foreigner medical insurance is available at all local government hospitals for the same price. It also includes free ambulance transport.

Worth getting then as a mate of mine has just come out of Wichien Buri hospital - suspected heart attack, cost 12,000 THB, that was 5 nights for the room and treatment. Not as serious as first thought, but requires follow up tests.

He had no medical insurance. Impressed with hospital, modern wing with a big rebuild project ongoing..

• Like 1

yes this foreigner medical insurance is available at all local government hospitals for the same price. It also includes free ambulance transport.

Worth getting then as a mate of mine has just come out of Wichien Buri hospital - suspected heart attack, cost 12,000 THB, that was 5 nights for the room and treatment. Not as serious as first thought, but requires follow up tests.

He had no medical insurance. Impressed with hospital, modern wing with a big rebuild project ongoing..

• Like 2

I've just used the service for the first time myself, (have had back pains for a few weeks), was sent for X-Ray, Doctor advised rest, he spoke really good English, as did a couple of the nurses.
I was very impressed with the service, with nothing to pay. I also got the card while I was there.smile.png

Edited by MrMuddle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find it has now been canceled, and was only meant

to be for migrant workers,Burmese, Cambodians,they say they will

return 2000 bht of the payment,but expect to be at back of the queue

behind the rice farmers and 1st time car buyers.

The hospital I have the card from confirmed this,charged me full price

for that visit AND required full payment for the previous visit ,less the

30 bht I had paid., so it looked good for the few months it was

going,Thailand is very good at U turns.

regards Worgeordie

Thai government hospitals are generally underfunded and resourced. My personal opinion is its wrong for Westeners to take up these offers that are targetted for Thais and non Thai foreign workers, not for Westeners.

Let's hope those who are currently exploiting the offer do not post about migrants and others taking up health care resources etc in their own countries.

Edited by simple1

I think you will find it has now been canceled, and was only meant

to be for migrant workers,Burmese, Cambodians,they say they will

return 2000 bht of the payment,but expect to be at back of the queue

behind the rice farmers and 1st time car buyers.

regards Worgeordie

If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is! as this post clearly states....

Better to accept this now than to be denied potentially life saving treatment... As for the hospitals taking the money in the first place.. well um!! TIT

• 1 month later...

regards Worgeordie

Just for info ... which hospital told you it no longer applied to expats?

• 1 month later...

I have just used Phetchabun Hospital, after being bitten by a dog, and have used my card with no problems. :)

I got my statins & blood pressure medication there, under the insurance scheme, around a month ago, during a routine check-up.

• Like 1