What do other Asians think of Thailand?

infinity11

Fifteen years ago a Vietnamese government official candidly told me that they considered the Thai to be naive and obsessed with beauty, fashion, style while he saw his own countrymen as stronger and more practical. I actually think there was a fair bit of jealousy since at that time Vietnam's development lagged far behind Thailand's. Had they not suffered through so many years of war and hardship they thought they should rightly have been more advanced than Thailand by now. From what I have seen of Vietnam lately they are fast closing the economic gap.

I remember a young Vietnamese woman who came to visit Phuket and expressed disbelief that people would just park their motorbikes anywhere and leave them unlocked, with helmets on the handlebars and sometimes leaving belongings in the basket. She couldn't understand why the motorbikes and belongings wouldn't be stolen. In Vietnam one always has to park one's bike in a guarded lot. She was really impressed by how safe it seemed here compared to her country. Mind you this was 15 years ago.

Some Vietnamese came to visit here on holiday recently and asked if they could ride in the back of my pick-up truck as we drove through town, for kicks. They said they wouldn't be able to do that back home (!). Some Asians are definitely attracted by the feeling of personal freedom they experience here.

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are asking predominently White caucasian people what Asians think of Thais ?

Why not ask what Africans think of Eskimos ! ?........wierd man......sorry

Exactly right. We get that a lot on this forum. And you can bet your right nut that some bozo will provide the answer (negative, of course) without having the slightest clue.

Bozo? Name calling is not nice and reveals the clown in the name-caller. Right nut? Crude and tasteless.

If you don't like my writing style, simply ignore. But since you clearly have nothing to contribute, how about just <deleted>.

Fifteen years ago a Vietnamese government official candidly told me that they considered the Thai to be naive and obsessed with beauty, fashion, style while he saw his own countrymen as stronger and more practical. I actually think there was a fair bit of jealousy since at that time Vietnam's development lagged far behind Thailand's. Had they not suffered through so many years of war and hardship they thought they should rightly have been more advanced than Thailand by now. From what I have seen of Vietnam lately they are fast closing the economic gap.

I remember a young Vietnamese woman who came to visit Phuket and expressed disbelief that people would just park their motorbikes anywhere and leave them unlocked, with helmets on the handlebars and sometimes leaving belongings in the basket. She couldn't understand why the motorbikes and belongings wouldn't be stolen. In Vietnam one always has to park one's bike in a guarded lot. She was really impressed by how safe it seemed here compared to her country. Mind you this was 15 years ago.

Some Vietnamese came to visit here on holiday recently and asked if they could ride in the back of my pick-up truck as we drove through town, for kicks. They said they wouldn't be able to do that back home (!). Some Asians are definitely attracted by the feeling of personal freedom they experience here.

Thais are a pretty well behaved bunch in general. I am also a bit suprised at why there isn't more theft in Thailand among the poor. It certainly is worth complimenting.

• Like 1

Other SEA nationals and Orientals in general tend to refer to the Thais as the ''Jackals of Asia'' I suppose thats better than Hyenas or Soi dogs or Cockroaches the jackal is a slightly more noble ansd amusing animal , bit like the ''wiley coyote from the roadrunner cartoons ''

• Like 2

You are asking predominently White caucasian people what Asians think of Thais ?

Why not ask what Africans think of Eskimos ! ?........wierd man......sorry

Exactly right. We get that a lot on this forum. And you can bet your right nut that some bozo will provide the answer (negative, of course) without having the slightest clue.

Bozo? Name calling is not nice and reveals the clown in the name-caller. Right nut? Crude and tasteless.

If you don't like my writing style, simply ignore. But since you clearly have nothing to contribute, how about just <deleted>.

He speaks on behalve of the silent majority.

Right now literally on LINE other Asians are thinking this of Thailand

Unlikely. The masses here in Cambodia are hardly aware of the stuff going on in BKK, they are way too busy with themselves. I expect this to be the case in most neighboring countries.

Honestly, living here in Korea - Koreans see Thais as sub-human and below them. an inferior asian race. But thats ok, Koreans think that way about every non-korean race. Koreans also see Thailand as just a "hot vacation destination".

As with MOST asian countries, it's been my experience, that the natives GENERALLY are xenophobic and look down on all other races.

Again, this is a generalization from the population over here based on my experience with my thai wife living, shopping, eating, mingling here, full time for the past 10 years.

Edited by JeffreyWitty
  • Like 2

Honestly, living here in Korea - Koreans see Thais as sub-human and below them. an inferior asian race. But thats ok, Koreans think that way about every non-korean race. Koreans also see Thailand as just a "hot vacation destination".

As with MOST asian countries, it's been my experience, that the natives GENERALLY are xenophobic and look down on all other races.

Again, this is a generalization from the population over here based on my experience with my thai wife living, shopping, eating, mingling here, full time for the past 10 years.

Normally I would agree with you but I know 4 Thai families that work for a Korean company in Thailand and the boss and his wife are taking 4 Thai families on a week long vacation trip outside of the country.

There are a lot of Korean business here. I don't think the viewpoint is the same with them.

• Like 2

Racism is unfortunately the norm among humans. In the west it culminated in the 30s and 40s, not just in nazi Germany but everywhere, with scientific research in prestigious universities to attempt to rank and classify human races. Of course, after WW2 the west laid that aside and never spoke of it again.

The rest of the world did not though. Asia and most of the world never had flower power, baby boomers, forced mass immigration and multiculturalism either. I suppose, think of your grandparents generation, those that lived before and during WW2 and their inherent xenophobia (not racism nessecarily) and that probably explains how most Asians think in regards to race.

• Like 2

Other SEA nationals and Orientals in general tend to refer to the Thais as the ''Jackals of Asia'' I suppose thats better than Hyenas or Soi dogs or Cockroaches the jackal is a slightly more noble ansd amusing animal , bit like the ''wiley coyote from the roadrunner cartoons ''

I've never heard that in all my travels. I would like to make up a counter-fact, but I struggle to think of anything less plausible.

SC

• Like 1

I've never heard that in all my travels. I would like to make up a counter-fact, but I struggle to think of anything less plausible.

SC

He is just making things up and it is not even funny.

Normally I would agree with you but I know 4 Thai families that work for a Korean company in Thailand and the boss and his wife are taking 4 Thai families on a week long vacation trip outside of the country.

There are a lot of Korean business here. I don't think the viewpoint is the same with them.

You are completely right. I know of a couple Korean business owner who employ Thai people and treat them VERY well.

Additionally, I know of Thai FACTORY workers over here in Korea who get their passports confiscated, pay due is held - or never paid, and many are forced to live 8-12 people a room - in a shipping container.

My point is - sure - there are exceptions. Often those exceptions exist because a local Korean personally knows a Thai national. But, again, GENERALLY speaking - the VAST MAJORITY of Koreans have no exposure to Thais (or other nationalities) and because of this - they look down upon them. I'm not talking 100% or Koreans, but I would say 51% or MORE.

The Koreans you see visiting Thailand are not a good cross section of the overall populace. These Koreans tend to be "better off" than the average Korean. Additionally, they tend to be more diversely educated - hence their attitude towards those who are not like them

Never think you are superior to the locals just because you come from a rich country. That's a big mistake and often one that leads to conflicts between you and locals. I dont travel thousands of km to thailand just to bully thai people. I enjoy their service, they also enjoy my patronage. A win-win situation.

• Like 2

Never think you are superior to the locals just because you come from a rich country. That's a big mistake and often one that leads to conflicts between you and locals. I dont travel thousands of km to thailand just to bully thai people. I enjoy their service, they also enjoy my patronage. A win-win situation.

...you might just be too nicer person for this forum...clap2.gif

• Like 2

You are completely right. I know of a couple Korean business owner who employ Thai people and treat them VERY well.

Additionally, I know of Thai FACTORY workers over here in Korea who get their passports confiscated, pay due is held - or never paid, and many are forced to live 8-12 people a room - in a shipping container.

My point is - sure - there are exceptions. Often those exceptions exist because a local Korean personally knows a Thai national. But, again, GENERALLY speaking - the VAST MAJORITY of Koreans have no exposure to Thais (or other nationalities) and because of this - they look down upon them. I'm not talking 100% or Koreans, but I would say 51% or MORE.

The Koreans you see visiting Thailand are not a good cross section of the overall populace. These Koreans tend to be "better off" than the average Korean. Additionally, they tend to be more diversely educated - hence their attitude towards those who are not like them

Koreans are on the role proud and nationalistic. They look down on most. As much as they don't like our often liathe Japan they have an unspoken respect for them.

However, I think they have every right to be proud of their achievements over 40 years. They are on the whole a well educated and capable bunch. Unlike here which hasn't really achieved much by itself and has largely been built by the thai Chinese and Japanese and American investment,,and the koreans know that for sure.

• Like 1

Koreans are on the role proud and nationalistic. They look down on most. As much as they don't like our often liathe Japan they have an unspoken respect for them.

However, I think they have every right to be proud of their achievements over 40 years. They are on the whole a well educated and capable bunch. Unlike here which hasn't really achieved much by itself and has largely been built by the thai Chinese and Japanese and American investment,,and the koreans know that for sure.

You really don't know? The amount of money America spent on Japan and Korea is like 1000 to 1 in comparison to Thailand. Korea, add up the war costs and the costs of keeping troops there for the past 50 years. You do know that America financed the reconstruction of Japan after WWII. There are still 30,000 American troops in Korea and gosh knows how much supplies. Google US troops Japan for the specifics of troop deployment today. Or cost of reconstruction and occupation of Japan after WWII.

What do Koreans think of Japan? Google, "Anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea" Too much for me to list.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

You really don't know? The amount of money America spent on Japan and Korea is like 1000 to 1 in comparison to Thailand. Korea, add up the war costs and the costs of keeping troops there for the past 50 years. You do know that America financed the reconstruction of Japan after WWII. There are still 30,000 American troops in Korea and gosh knows how much supplies. Google US troops Japan for the specifics of troop deployment today. Or cost of reconstruction and occupation of Japan after WWII.

What do Koreans think of Japan? Google, "Anti-Japanese sentiment in Korea" Too much for me to list.

You are largely correct. So much ignorance on these boards.

• Like 1

I have a good Japanese friend that thinks Thais seem to be a pretty arrogant group of people considering they haven't really accomplished much. That's his opinion, so don't kill the messenger. wai.gif

Ever watched Japanese men dance in a club? The reason they don't let Farangs or Thais in is because they laugh to loud at them. No wonder they think the Thais are arrogant.

• Like 1

...you might just be too nicer person for this forum...clap2.gif

Haha I can be evil person as well !

The reason for saying this is because I observe many farangs getting into trouble with thai people. Just like why asians seldom get robbed while farangs often get targeted. Similarly, my cousin went to paris months ago and 1st day was already robbed. Once you don't know how things work there, you contrast yourself with others hence making u an easy target for crimes.

Japanese probably consider themselves to be superior based on their achievements and higher average IQ, same goes for China and Korea, they probably regard Thais similarly to all other south east Asians as having less developed infrastructure, achievement levels, poorer economic levels, more corruption, poorer education, lower average IQ.

Definite divide between east Asians and south east Asians, and I'm sure the east Asians know it.

• Like 1

And? So the USA built Samsung? Or Hyundai heavy industry?

Yes they put in money, but they also didn't lose their identity and their culture facilitated building world class businesses. Funny you claim I don't know, my best mate is Korean so it's been explained to be several times. Want to know where most of the seed loans for the chaebol came from?

Japan as a round about way of reparations? How do I know? Mates dad was on the board of Hyundai....

Edited by Thai at Heart

And? So the USA built Samsung? Or Hyundai heavy industry?

Yes they put in money, but they also didn't lose their identity and their culture facilitated building world class businesses. Funny you claim I don't know, my best mate is Korean so it's been explained to be several times. Want to know where most of the seed loans for the chaebol came from?

Japan as a round about way of reparations? How do I know? Mates dad was on the board of Hyundai....

America built Korea and Japan. America helped Thailand a bit but not to the same extent; not even close.

PS speaking of your mate at Hyundai, "Chung Ju-Yung founded the Hyundai Engineering and Construction Company in 1947. Hyundai Motor Company was later established in 1967. The company's first model, the Cortina, was released in cooperation with Ford Motor Company in 1968.

When Hyundai wanted to develop their own car, they hired George Turnbull, the former Managing Director of Austin Morris at British Leyland. He in turn hired five other top British car engineers. They were Kenneth Barnett body design, engineers John Simpson and Edward Chapman, John Crosthwaite ex-BRM as chassis engineer and Peter Slater as chief development engineer. In 1975, the Pony, the first Korean car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Motor_Company

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1