What do other Asians think of Thailand?

infinity11

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is quite an interesting little link, cos it reminds us all of the strange way that "racist" language is absorbed into everyday use.

This article should jog English people into considering what attitudes they have (historically) to the Welsh and the Jews. As in sentences like :

"he welshed on the loan" and "he jewed me down".

You are asking predominently White caucasian people what Asians think of Thais ?

Why not ask what Africans think of Eskimos ! ?........wierd man......sorry

I think he said Thailand not Thais. so your comments are weird too!

• Like 1

You are asking predominently White caucasian people what Asians think of Thais ?

Exactly right. We get that a lot on this forum. And you can bet your right nut that some bozo will provide the answer (negative, of course) without having the slightest clue.

Or exactly wrong.

You are right though in one respect.

I have met many people from NE Asia traveling here or working here as tour guides or golf pros and the like. The conversations we had were pretty similar to ones I have had with westerners....cheap, fun, women, beach, "mai ben rai" attitude, a lot more golf, though, hahaha (as it is crazy expensive in Japan and Korea--lots of guys come down here to golf for 2 weeks to a month). Also hear the "dirty" part, and some who look down at Thailand a little, much like some Thais see Cambodia or wherever (the sort of "we're richer" thingy). On the whole, though...pretty much the same as most westerners.

Thailand,Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam are considered lower Asia.

China, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan... upper Asia.

By whom? You?

Pretty much every Asian I have met thought their pwn particular country was by far the best. Much like many Thai Visa posterswink.png

• Like 1

Thailand’s “big three” manufacturers are Toyota, Isuzu and Honda. They mostly make pickups and smaller cars. But other brands are now following the Japanese firms and are shifting their production from increasingly pricey places, such as Australia, to Thailand. In 2012 Ford added a new plant there (it aims to raise its annual capacity to 445,000 units).

What is more, Thailand is not just a place where carmakers assemble their products. Most parts come from local companies. At more than 80% the country has the highest localisation in South-East Asia, according to IHS, a market research firm. Thailand also exports parts worth about $5 billion—more than the other members of the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) combined.

In 2012 production reached 2.45m vehicles of which 1m were exported. This made Thailand the 7th largest car exporter globally.

Asia trusts Thailand to make it's cars.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2013/04/thailands-booming-car-industry

• Like 1

I found this country peaceful, respecting the tourists, accessible and less spying than other countries I visited in the EU and Asia. Even my own country smile.png Although I don't think the forum is to post anything honestly as more than 50% are trolls here.

Rule of law bit out of question yet not too many angry people, or they know how to control it wink.png

Good taxi service, they take you to the destination despite miscommunication

No intruding into privacy other than tourist hubs

Smooth traffic and calm drivers despite traffic jam they won't normally criss cross,

Don't try to talk in English, non-verbal giggle.gif works well

Corruption is there at lower level but if you won't invoke and can wait a bit but they'll do it

They practice Buddhist values even if they don't believe in it that much

They Chino-Thai's are difficult, annoyed or what I couldn't figure out

Beautiful people but too many dogs whistling.gif won't normally find a place to sit down and relax

As usual in lower income countries port city and capital is much more developed than the rural but services are accessible everywhere

Tolerant to foreigners and their misbehaving in general but not so at the tourist hubs

Despite lacking in English they have faith in their education and are producing the required human resource

Products are not of high quality not much expensive, better than China though

Too much busy in Bangkok but too much not busy at other places, cool

The coolest thing is they have a King so something in their system that's not partisan (democracy and rule of law don't fit, in my opinion, the non EU & non-English contexts too much and corruption is always scaled with the scale of economy)

Tolerance is eroding as much Thailand is transitioning (but this I find same everywhere people join the liberals, globalists value) so rising greed, increasing intolerance, extremist views are just bye products coffee1.gif

There are exceptions but lesser than I found in other countries and regions. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. Very interesting article.

By the way, sorry for not addressing you as "..rules" just can't go along with that name. Don't think the UK is capable of ruling many of the people who have come to live there. Sorry, I'm getting off track.....happens at my age.

Just wondering if the phrase, "don't Thai to me" is more to do with the Thai tendency to try and not offend by disagreeing with us. Same used to happen in Bali where I did business for many years. The locals would smile, duck their heads and simply say, "yes" then do nothing about it, rather than offend you.

When I first came to LOS about 30 years ago, I found the same thing. About the only Thai who has long since given up (and rightly so) trying to not offend me if she doesn't agree with everything I say, is my wife. Pleased to say our daughter, whilst always polite, will also argue the point with me and I'm happy she picked up that habit while we were living abroad.

As I said, I think a lot of Thais will "Thai to you" rather than risk offending you. Others of course, like everywhere else,some of them couldn't give a damn and will rip you off as soon as look at you.

• Like 1

Last year there was another hype in neighbouring asian country's. They used to say : "sooo Thai " which means you delivered bad work. I think they are right to say that because almost nobody in Thailand does his work properly the way it should be done. They all like to take the easy way and think all other races also have the maibenrai-mentality.

• Like 1

I've only had one Asian person really comment on Thailand, certainly not enough to even began to form an opinion of other Asian's thoughts on Thailand and/or it's people. She was a Vietnamese I met on the flight from Houston, Texas. I hazard a guess that by her age and speech she had spent most of her adult life, at least, in the US. Quite attractive. Take into consideration there is a large population of Thais, Vietnamese, some Lao, and some Khmer in Houston. She said she didn't like the Thais, they spoke like a chipmunk. I got the distinct impression it was a bit more than just their 'speech' patterns. On the other hand I got to know some Vietnamese while working in the city of Beaumont, Texas. They ran a little mini-mart with illegal gambling in the backroom. They were always interested in my trips to Thailand and the fact that I was moving here soon. They were also quite protective of the very attractive Vietnamese/American (GI father) lady working there, very protective, dammit. But, they never had anything derogatory to say about Thailand or for that matter the US.

• Like 1

Last year there was another hype in neighbouring asian country's. They used to say : "sooo Thai " which means you delivered bad work. I think they are right to say that because almost nobody in Thailand does his work properly the way it should be done. They all like to take the easy way and think all other races also have the maibenrai-mentality.

At more than 80% the country has the highest localisation in South-East Asia, according to IHS, a market research firm. Thailand also exports parts worth about $5 billion—more than the other members of the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) combined.

In 2012 production reached 2.45m vehicles of which 1m were exported. This made Thailand the 7th largest car exporter globally.

You obviously have not lived on Thailand, Laos, or Cambodia. We get most of our stuff here in Siem Reap from Thailand and the workmanship is very good.

But then never let the facts get into the way of some Thai-bashing.

• Like 1

Asia is a very big continent, unlike Europe. Do not lump all Asians as one. Please get your geography right.

As for subject topic, nothing wrong with Thailand as a country. I guess mostly Farangs have issues with Thailand.

I would qualify that. Only Farangs on ThaiVisa. If you walked down the street and asked 10 Farangs 9 would tell you they are happy here.

• Like 2

You obviously have not lived on Thailand, Laos, or Cambodia. We get most of our stuff here in Siem Reap from Thailand and the workmanship is very good.

If Thais were unable to build good products hard disks would be manufactured elsewhere.

We've already talked about the cars.

The metropolitan railways stand comparison with their peers elsewhere.

But my colleagues at work rarely discuss Thailand as a hub of manufacturing. I would be interested to see how their factories compare with Proton or Perodua

post-60794-0-06597000-1386146746_thumb.j

and also how the suppliers compare

SC

EDIT: They do sometimes wax lyrical about Thai durians, though. They generally consider that Thai food is quite spicey.

Edited by StreetCowboy

My (Thai) girlfriend studied engineering in Japan and she said that many Japanese knew about Thailand because of the ladyboys and thought it was generally "uncivilized".

Thailand’s “big three” manufacturers are Toyota, Isuzu and Honda.

If Thais were unable to build good products hard disks would be manufactured elsewhere.

But my colleagues at work rarely discuss Thailand as a hub of manufacturing. I would be interested to see how their factories compare with Proton or Perodua

attachicon.gifDSCN0366.JPG

SC

Malaysia is third South-East Asian auto maker of more than half a million per year vehicles developed by Japan and Korean assists.

Thailand largest in South-Asia.

If Malaysia was better I guess they would be in first place eh?

attachicon.gifDSCN0366.JPG

SC

Malaysia is third South-East Asian auto maker of more than half a million per year vehicles developed by Japan and Korean assists.

Thailand largest in South-Asia.

If Malaysia was better I guess they would be in first place eh?

I think Malaysia shot themselves in the foot developing their own companies in such a crowded industry; I don't think proton or perodua have had much export success for a variety of reasons but including that they don't have the big distribution networks that the Japanese companies have.

The Thai market is bigger, as well, what with it being a bigger and more populous country. But I don't think there are any foreign manufacturers assembling cars for export from Malaysia. But still, people don't think of Thailand as a manufacturing hub, whether it is or not.

With the Cam Pro engine, designed by their subsidiary Lotus, Proton moved up another rung in developing the indigenous motor industry. It's not a particularly good engine, though, and people recommend the Waja in preference to the Persona, because it has a Japanese engine - I forget which supplier

SC

Every country has its pro's and con's. How a person see's a country depends on his outlook in life and tells a lot about them and their activities

Here are some of the things my asian friends have told me about their trips to Thailand

For example, one guy kept talking about the ping pong show at Patpong............ooooookay

Another guy talks about the great food like Som Tum and Tom Yum Goong and stops at every fruit vendor stall......... gourmet

Girls love searching for cheap treasures and haggling at MBK and Platinum

Some recall the sandy beaches and friendly smiles

Some enjoyed the thrill of being hurled in a Tuk Tuk at G forces.

Some can't stop sneezing and coughing due to the choking aroma of Bangkok's finest air quality

Some get addicted to the foot massages

Some get addicted to the special massages

Most say they're gonna be back.

• Like 2

Exactly right. We get that a lot on this forum. And you can bet your right nut that some bozo will provide the answer (negative, of course) without having the slightest clue.

Bozo? Name calling is not nice and reveals the clown in the name-caller. Right nut? Crude and tasteless.

Don't think so small.

There are many non-Thai Asians (Korea, Japan, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Honk Kong) on TV.com who are qualified to respond to the subject at hand. Also, there are many TV.com caucasian members who have lived and worked all over Asia for many years who could have something of interest to say.

Refreshing and I agree. The negative lashings that the "small thinkers" have dispensed, along with their crude and tasteless word usage, is tell all.

There are those that can read a post and leave it alone. There are those that read a post and contribute without insult or injury. And then there are a small percentage of posters who seem to delight in name calling and uncivil bashing. Thank goodness those carbon-based units are in the minority.

Think, Think, Think.

A colleague asked where I was going on my vacation, and I said 'Bangkok', and he expressed surprise.

"Isn't there a ..." It took me a moment to remember about the demonstrations.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

In all my years here, I've only dealt with a handful of other Asians. I recall none had anything kind to say about the country or the people. In one or two cases, I put it down to jingoism, in others it was clearly jealousy. A couple it was a superiority complex. So it's difficult to get a considered and unbiased opinion. But I really don't care. I have no intention of living in their countries, so their opinions are merely academic and have no impact on my life here.