Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai?

Braddockrd

thailiketoo

I'm just calling attention to the reality as I've experienced it over the many years in Thailand.

Thailand's charm and that of its people is its simplicity. Thai people tend to be very simple people, for example. And, simple is fine. Many find such simplicity beautiful. Some, however, like me find it pitifully boring.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Thais will generally do whatever they can to avoid conflict. That includes lieing and saying whatever they think people want to hear. Over the years, I have found this characteristic very poorly suited to having any realistic conversations with even Thais I've known for years.

thailiketoo

I'm just calling attention to the reality as I've experienced it over the many years in Thailand.

Thailand's charm and that of its people is its simplicity. Thai people tend to be very simple people, for example. And, simple is fine. Many find such simplicity beautiful. Some, however, like me find it pitifully boring.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Thais will generally do whatever they can to avoid conflict. That includes lieing and saying whatever they think people want to hear. Over the years, I have found this characteristic very poorly suited to having any realistic conversations with even Thais I've known for years.

Avoid conflict? Who occupied the airport or burned down buildings in Bangkok (60 civilians and 8 soldiers killed and 2000 arrested) and or what students got massacred at Thammasit university? Was it a group of people from Toronto? Who fought in Vietnam? Canada or Thailand?

• Like 1

thailiketoo

Avoid conflict?  Who occupied the airport or burned down buildings in Bangkok (60 civilians and 8 soldiers killed and 2000 arrested) and or what students got massacred at Thammasit university?  Was it a group of people from Toronto?  Who fought in Vietnam?  Canada or Thailand?  

I've seen enough posts from you to know that if I don't send you off with some reading, you will try to beat me to death with these types of aimless posts.

So, here goes. Check out section 2.2.3 and get back to me with your argument against what is written.

http://www.ukessays.com/essays/research/characteristics-of-thailand.php

thailiketoo

You never answered the OP - can You speak and read Thai?

Maybe it's due to your lack of fluency that they speak simply to you.

thailiketoo

Yes, I can speak, understand, read and write Thai fairly fluently at a business level here.

I've given professional presentations in thai language before academics and business people on various topics.

thailiketoo

Yes, I can speak, understand, read and write Thai fairly fluently at a business level here.

I've given professional presentations in thai language before academics and business people on various topics.

Were these academics and business people simple?

• Like 1

thailiketoo

Avoid conflict? Who occupied the airport or burned down buildings in Bangkok (60 civilians and 8 soldiers killed and 2000 arrested) and or what students got massacred at Thammasit university? Was it a group of people from Toronto? Who fought in Vietnam? Canada or Thailand?

@Thailiketoo How long have you been in Thailand? I am guessing not very long since all your posts about Thailand seem to be rather delusional and absurdly apologetic. And if you have been here a long time, how good is your Thai? I am guessing not so good.

Because 90 percent of Thai conversations are about food, and I don't care what they ate, when they ate it, was it good, when will they eat next etc....

it makes me laugh how much they talk about food.

- did you eat already

- i ate already

- im going to eat

- what did you eat

-was it delicious

- how much did it cost

- was it spicy

... i couldn't care less

I was getting a massage ages ago and listened to 2 old thai ladies chatting for about 15 just about food "gin kow" this and "gin kow" that. it's got to be one of the most used set of words in thai language. along with bpai nai.

• Like 1

You think red hot go go dancers swinging around a chrome pole, sweating and gyrating to the beat are talking about food? They are communicating and talking in Thai but it's not about food. When I go to the bank and the bank teller performs the transactions I ask she is not talking about food. When I go to the hospital and speak to the cardiologist we don't talk about food. When I reserve a seat on the airplane with the cute Thai counter girl we don't talk about food. When I go to immigration and don't have any problems with my visa extension we are not talking about food. When the policeman stops me for speeding we don't talk about food.

I don't know anything about red hot gogo dancers and their conversations. whistling.gif

My statement is on daily conversations, not when you are getting stopped by a cop for breaking "their" laws. coffee1.gif

That still leaves, When I go to the bank and the bank teller performs the transactions I ask she is not talking about food. When I go to the hospital and speak to the cardiologist we don't talk about food. When I reserve a seat on the airplane with the cute Thai counter girl we don't talk about food. When I go to immigration and don't have any problems with my visa extension we are not talking about food.

As an addendum you don't have to be breaking the law to be stopped by a Thai cop. coffee1.gif

mastering the medical terminology to have a meaningful conversation with a Thai cardiologist is without any doubt the most ridiculous posting of this thread.

cheesy.gif

next please!

Ok perhaps you are a bit dim. Where did I say I wanted to master medical terminology? Your response to a reasoned reply that I didn't talk to my cardiologist (a man I know quite well) about food is without a doubt the most ridiculous and not thought out response on this thread. Go back and read and respond instead of trying to be cute. cheesy.gif Next please.

thailiketoo

I've seen enough posts from you to know that if I don't send you off with some reading, you will try to beat me to death with these types of aimless posts.

So, here goes. Check out section 2.2.3 and get back to me with your argument against what is written.

You said Thais avoid conflict and I provided specific and recent facts to prove you are wrong. I have seen enough of posts from you to know you simply post ethnic negative generalizations about Thai people like, like, 1. Thais will generally do whatever they can to avoid conflict. That includes lieing and saying whatever they think people want to hear. 2 Thai people tend to be very simple people, Some, however, like me find it pitifully boring. 3. Mate, other than women 18 - 30, Thais have nothing I need. I would guess this is true for a great majority of us falangs here. 4. Despite the fact I can converse in Thai, you will find most Thais are simply poorly educated, of low morality, have little to no interest in anything beyond the superficial and have no interest in the world outside Thailand. 5. What kind of interesting conversation would one expect in such circumstances? Western and Thai people are generally incompatible. One modern and evolved. The other ancient and simple.

You are a simple ignorant racist. And anyone reading your words above would come to the same conclusion.

• Like 1

The answer is pretty easy - necessity. Most people here with English language skills can happily get by without needing to learn Thai. When a situation comes up that needs Thai, they usually have someone to turn to that is Thai and can help. It is not just this way in Thailand. In the UK there are whole areas where there was mass immigration back in the 50-70s that are predominantly Bangladeshi, Pakistani or Indian. In these areas you will find many elderly people that came to join their families from the sub continent that speak no English at all - many after 30 or more years. Simply because they do not have to.

I learned to read Thai because I thought it would help and because I am a control freak and need to be in control - most do not need it. Many learn to speak quite passable Thai by the way, but still can't read it. I have Thai friends that grew up in the UK. They have Thai families and connections, including business connection and family, back here. Yet the ones from my generation (40s) and below speak Thai with a poor accent (Thais here pick up on it straight away - even I can hear it) and can not read or write at all. They simply have not needed to - in fact one of them, a good friend since my school days, is actively learning how to read, write and speak Mandarin - but not Thai, his parents' native tongue!

Being in control is something I like and maybe one of the motivations to learn Thai.

It's all about motivation. The guys who say they can't learn Thai certainly could if their life depended on it.

Just ask a waitress who ignores me and hands my wife the menu.

Having a Thai wife/gf that speaks good English can often be a hindrance in Thai learning. When I met my wife, she couldn't speak a word of English and we spoke Thai for the first few years. Now, we actually speak English more.

If your Thai gf doesn't want you to learn Thai be on the lookout.

"being in control"

in control of what? a waitress who hands out a menu? a soup vendor being told "more noodles, less soup"? a poor traffic cop by handing over "song roy" instead of "two hundred Baht"? telling a barber "clipper no. si" instead of "clipper no. four"?

laugh.png

• Like 2

thailiketoo

You said Thais avoid conflict and I provided specific and recent facts to prove you are wrong. I have seen enough of posts from you to know you simply post ethnic negative generalizations about Thai people like, like, 1. Thais will generally do whatever they can to avoid conflict. That includes lieing and saying whatever they think people want to hear. 2 Thai people tend to be very simple people, Some, however, like me find it pitifully boring. 3. Mate, other than women 18 - 30, Thais have nothing I need. I would guess this is true for a great majority of us falangs here. 4. Despite the fact I can converse in Thai, you will find most Thais are simply poorly educated, of low morality, have little to no interest in anything beyond the superficial and have no interest in the world outside Thailand. 5. What kind of interesting conversation would one expect in such circumstances? Western and Thai people are generally incompatible. One modern and evolved. The other ancient and simple.

You are a simple ignorant racist. And anyone reading your words above would come to the same conclusion.

Do you want to know what conclusion i come to, after reading your posts? Sadly its against forum rules to express my feelings on the matter.

• Like 1

Ok perhaps you are a bit dim. Where did I say I wanted to master medical terminology? Your response to a reasoned reply that I didn't talk to my cardiologist (a man I know quite well) about food is without a doubt the most ridiculous and not thought out response on this thread. Go back and read and respond instead of trying to be cute. cheesy.gif Next please.

ChiangMai Kelly, is that you?w00t.gif

Word of advise for your old timer, if your cardiologist does not speak fluent English, run, run as fast as you can.

If he could not learn a simple language over the years, i have serious doubts he learned anything about something as complex as heart.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Do you want to know what conclusion i come to, after reading your posts? Sadly its against forum rules to express my feelings on the matter.

The idea is to try and relate what you write to the post somehow. Why don't you give it another shot. Remember something I wrote in this thread is the general idea.

Or you could express agreement with PaullyW. He writes that Thais are lying pitifully boring, poorly educated folk with low morals and no interest in anything beyond the superficial. His people are modern and evolved and the Thais are ancient and simple.

I don't agree with that but maybe you do?

The idea is to try and relate what you write to the post somehow. Why don't you give it another shot. Remember something I wrote in this thread is the general idea.

Or you could express agreement with PaullyW. He writes that Thais are lying pitifully boring, poorly educated folk with low morals and no interest in anything beyond the superficial. His people are modern and evolved and the Thais are ancient and simple.

So you do not agree that Thai are lying, pitifully boring, poorly educated, low morals and no interested in anything beyond superficial?

May be you can explain the reasons for lawyers not knowing the law, or doctors not knowing much about medicine, or perhaps lack of inventions or total disregard for other cultures,

Perhaps a good reason for rampant corruption, heavy drinking, silliest soap opera's, poor work habits, laziness,

Reasons for racism and nationalism, reasons for students being at the bottom in almost everything (as per surveys)

Reasons for being totally ignorant in regards to the rest of the world, wars, the admiration of Hitler

Reasons for needing smart phone, while no money to feed the family, reasons for spending most of the working day either on the phone or with the phone.

Can not wait to hear the reasons, after all you are fluent in Thai, so you know and understand and hopefully can educate others

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

So you do not agree that Thai are lying, pitifully boring, poorly educated, low morals and no interested in anything beyond superficial?

May be you can explain the reasons for lawyers not knowing the law, or doctors not knowing much about medicine, or perhaps lack of inventions or total disregard for other cultures,

Perhaps a good reason for rampant corruption, heavy drinking, silliest soap opera's, poor work habits, laziness,

Reasons for racism and nationalism, reasons for students being at the bottom in almost everything (as per surveys)

Reasons for being totally ignorant in regards to the rest of the world, wars, the admiration of Hitler

Reasons for needing smart phone, while no money to feed the family, reasons for spending most of the working day either on the phone or with the phone.

Can not wait to hear the reasons, after all you are fluent in Thai, so you know and understand and hopefully can educate others

I tried the other day to show Farangs how to get involved with the Thai community and the thread was closed because it turned into a flame fest against me because I had said something Thai positive to say. I could take each question one by one and give you concrete examples like, "Thai students set highest record at Shell Eco-marathon Asia.

The Shell Eco-marathon Asia 2012 was held during 4-7 July 2012 at Kuala Lumpur’s Sepang International Circuit, and involved 119 student teams across Asia. 12 Thai teams from 9 educational institutes participated in the competition to build vehicles that travel the farthest distance using the least amount of energy.

Team Luk Jao Mae Khlong Prapa of Dhurakij Pundit University competing in the Prototype category using Ethanol E100 emerged with the best run at a mileage of 2,903 km/l, and surpassed the highest mileage of 2,388.8 km/l achieved at the Shell Eco-marathon Europe 2012. Thai students won four awards in Prototype category this year."

Although interesting I feel it would take us too far afield from the OP's topic which is Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai. The answer to that is, I feel, laziness. I'm sure there are Farangs who are not lazy in Thailand but all the ones I know who aren't lazy speak Thai.

• Like 1

I tried the other day to show Farangs how to get involved with the Thai community and the thread was closed because it turned into a flame fest against me because I had said something Thai positive to say. I could take each question one by one and give you concrete examples like, "Thai students set highest record at Shell Eco-marathon Asia.

The Shell Eco-marathon Asia 2012 was held during 4-7 July 2012 at Kuala Lumpur’s Sepang International Circuit, and involved 119 student teams across Asia. 12 Thai teams from 9 educational institutes participated in the competition to build vehicles that travel the farthest distance using the least amount of energy.

Team Luk Jao Mae Khlong Prapa of Dhurakij Pundit University competing in the Prototype category using Ethanol E100 emerged with the best run at a mileage of 2,903 km/l, and surpassed the highest mileage of 2,388.8 km/l achieved at the Shell Eco-marathon Europe 2012. Thai students won four awards in Prototype category this year."

Although interesting I feel it would take us too far afield from the OP's topic which is Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai. The answer to that is, I feel, laziness. I'm sure there are Farangs who are not lazy in Thailand but all the ones I know who aren't lazy speak Thai.

Can you not spell "foreigner" or any reason why you are using Thai word?

I have put a series of questions to you and your only answer is ??????

Thai Students Poor In Math, Science .http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/604301-thai-students-poor-in-math-science/

Many Children 'Don't Succeed At Basic Levels' In Thai Schools http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/500254-many-children-dont-succeed-at-basic-levels-in-thai-schools/

Thai Students Intelligence Quotient (IQ) Below Global Average http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/481129-thai-students-intelligence-quotient-iq-below-global-average/

Thailand's English Skills Lowest In S E A http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645824-thailands-english-skills-lowest-in-s-e-a/

Word of advise for your old timer, if your cardiologist does not speak fluent English, run, run as fast as you can.

If he could not learn a simple language over the years, i have serious doubts he learned anything about something as complex as heart.thumbsup.gif

"If he could not learn a simple language over the years, i have serious doubts he learned anything about something as complex as heart."

Do you really want us all to believe that ANYONE who does not know English, does not know about anything in this world?

Pray give us all your advice.

Can you not spell "foreigner" or any reason why you are using Thai word?

I have put a series of questions to you and your only answer is ??????

Thai Students Poor In Math, Science .http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/604301-thai-students-poor-in-math-science/

Many Children 'Don't Succeed At Basic Levels' In Thai Schools http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/500254-many-children-dont-succeed-at-basic-levels-in-thai-schools/

Thai Students Intelligence Quotient (IQ) Below Global Average http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/481129-thai-students-intelligence-quotient-iq-below-global-average/

Thailand's English Skills Lowest In S E A http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645824-thailands-english-skills-lowest-in-s-e-a/

All interesting stuff but all off topic. I use Farang because I mean Farang not foreigner. Two different words two different meanings. Do you really think people should answer all of your questions even though they have nothing to do with the subject of the thread? Sorry not I. Start another thread. Good topics.

"If he could not learn a simple language over the years, i have serious doubts he learned anything about something as complex as heart."

Do you really want us all to believe that ANYONE who does not know English, does not know about anything in this world?

Not sure who "us" is, but you can believe whatever you likethumbsup.gif

Yes i am saying that if a doctor did not learn something as simple as English(mind you it is compulsory), it is very unlikely he learned anything about medicine, especially in case of a specialist such as cardiologist.

Not to mention a large number of medical terms are Latin, most certainly not Thai

All interesting stuff but all off topic. I use Farang because I mean Farang not foreigner. Two different words two different meanings. Do you really think people should answer all of your questions even though they have nothing to do with the subject of the thread? Sorry not I. Start another thread. Good topics.

I see ,so when you can not answer any of it and proven to be incorrect, then it is off topic, but when you post off topic drivel, then its relevant.

You use farang, because you are a wanna be Thai, sadly you never will be. and no matter how many times people have shown that use of farang is only

widely spread in low, uneducated classes, some will insist on doing so, actually believing they are really cool.

Not sure who "us" is, but you can believe whatever you likethumbsup.gif

Yes i am saying that if a doctor did not learn something as simple as English(mind you it is compulsory), it is very unlikely he learned anything about medicine, especially in case of a specialist such as cardiologist.

Not to mention a large number of medical terms are Latin, most certainly not Thai

As you are not sure who "us" is, I guess all at TV agree with you, except me biggrin.png .

There are top medical professionals, engineers etc who do not speak English - of course, obviously they are not from the English speaking countries.

As you are not sure who "us" is, I guess all at TV agree with you, except me biggrin.png .

There are top medical professionals, engineers etc who do not speak English - of course, obviously they are not from the English speaking countries.

Unless you have been voted in secret to be a spokesperson for Thaivisa, probably not wise to claim "US"

Please name those TOP medical professionals in Thailand.

Naturally i would be guessing as you seem to know who the top professionals are, but the ones i am aware of, all work in private international hospitals, with masters or phd's from English speaking countries.

• Like 1

some top students winning (whatever) prize are not representative for a population of 65 milllion.

having said so... i don't agree that all Thais are lazy, drunkards, have low morals or spend most of their time using their smartphones wink.png

some top students winning (whatever) prize are not representative for a population of 65 milllion.

having said so... i don't agree that all Thais are lazy, drunkards, have low morals or spend most of their time using their smartphones wink.png

Not all, but a significantly large number for people to notice it

If it was the minority, issue hardly be raised

Just like Indian visitors, very often get robbed of large sums of money while getting very cheap sexual services massagelaugh.png

Thailand is only a temporary stopover in my life if I ever decided to make it my permanent home I would most certainly learn the local language, but I prefer to live in a country that’ makes me feel more welcome than Thailand I also think most people who live here in a more permanent basis or work here can speak and read Thai, half of them are teachers teaching English to Thais.