Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai?

Braddockrd

I am occasionally appalled at the small minority of people living permanently or quasi-permanently in the world and yet being completely un-empathetic. I have met (or read comments online by) almost none who understands that we are all unique, when it does not take that long to learn. Most of them can blabber a couple sentences in an attempt to explain differences they have noticed between themselves and other people. Very few are aware that every human lives under their own circumstances. I am sure that a vast majority of them would cringe at other people (like me for example) criticizing the way they live their life. So why can't self centered people see things from the perspective of others?

• Like 1

I have experienced this in other countries as well as Thailand. The native is expecting you to speak English, so when you speak to them in Thai (or Spanish), it is as if they do not make the connection that you are speaking their language.

This has absolutely never been my experience other than in Thailand. I have spent time in almost every single Spanish speaking country and never had this experience, ever. I think this is mostly unique to Thailand because there is a prevailing cultural idea that foreigners should not attempt to integrate and are fundamentally different than Thai people.

Really? I have had it in many (not all) places in Asia, and I speak a few other languages on this continent better than I do Thai. The main difference here, I think, is that I have a thicker skin now and I don't care if they are being dumb about me speaking Thai. Like I said, I either say "I am speaking Thai to you right now" or I just ignore them (if I am at a party or something like that...plenty of other cool people to talk with).

One situation I will never forget was a tom who always complained that she couldn't understand me (even though everyone else was understanding a lot of what I was saying and they were engaging me in conversation!). One day, she stopped by the house and asked to borrow 500 baht--clear to me in Thai as if she had said it in English. My response? "Sorry, I don't speak Thai." hahahaha

On the whole, though, those people are relatively rare. I can't speak to the Spanish thing since I can sort of generally pass for a Latin American by my looks so people don't immediately think I am a foreigner. Never really had that happen there, but could imagine it with a very white, blond haired American or European looking person in some countries down there.

Edited by dao16

I can never understand folks who live here a long time and don't even learn the basics. It makes life infinitely easier when you can give a taxi driver directions and when buying stuff etc. I hailed a tuk tuk outside panthip once and the driver tried the usual 200 baht patter. Noticing he was an isaan bloke i laughed and spoke to him with a bit of the dialect. He then grinned and dropped the price to the more usual 80 baht

I would have told him to get lost and get the next Tuk Tuk. I cannot except people of any race trying to do me.

You struggle with haggling I take it.

It requires a lot of effort on our part.

Thailand makes it near impossible to ever become a citizen, we're not allowed to buy land, etc, etc, etc

Due to this most people will only regard themselves as temporary visitors so why bother learn a language that is only useful in a country where you're staying on a temporary basis.

Long term temporary or not, I don't see the point. I will never be here permanently and I'll move on at some time in the future at which point Thai becomes useless and I have less useless things to spend my time on.

Sorry but the part of becoming a citizen is not true. Its not anymore difficult than in any western country. If you pay taxes and work here on a work permit you can be a citizen within 5 years the same as most other countries. Plus in most developed countries they put an age restriction where as here there are none.

Here is another thing: while I am putting all effort in understanding their English (not my native) and I am very patient and listen carefully, because I know that some sounds or letter- combinations are not common here, so it is hard for them.

For example: my name is Nils! My Thai-name is New, Nin, Nel, Nis...but never Nils.

Very few Thais actually put an effort into understanding me, when I try to speak Thai, though.

For example: in a pub, I order "Tiger, song khrup"...blank stare.

What is the problem?

Of course it should be "Tigeeeeeeeeer, song khrup"!

I am in a PUB, I want to order a DRINK, that as ENGLISH- name... so the waiter can note even GUESS what I want?!

I try to use my totally imperfect, way to little Thai anyway I can.

I want to go to Surawonge, by taxi...it is Suriwong!

I want to go to Mahesak, but I should want to go to Maheeeeesak!

Not the slightest effort!...and that is not very encouraging!

• Like 1

I have experienced this in other countries as well as Thailand. The native is expecting you to speak English, so when you speak to them in Thai (or Spanish), it is as if they do not make the connection that you are speaking their language.

This has absolutely never been my experience other than in Thailand. I have spent time in almost every single Spanish speaking country and never had this experience, ever. I think this is mostly unique to Thailand because there is a prevailing cultural idea that foreigners should not attempt to integrate and are fundamentally different than Thai people.

Really? I have had it in many (not all) places in Asia, and I speak a few other languages on this continent better than I do Thai. The main difference here, I think, is that I have a thicker skin now and I don't care if they are being dumb about me speaking Thai. Like I said, I either say "I am speaking Thai to you right now" or I just ignore them (if I am at a party or something like that...plenty of other cool people to talk with).

One situation I will never forget was a tom who always complained that she couldn't understand me (even though everyone else was understanding a lot of what I was saying and they were engaging me in conversation!). One day, she stopped by the house and asked to borrow 500 baht--clear to me in Thai as if she had said it in English. My response? "Sorry, I don't speak Thai." hahahaha

On the whole, though, those people are relatively rare. I can't speak to the Spanish thing since I can sort of generally pass for a Latin American by my looks so people don't immediately think I am a foreigner. Never really had that happen there, but could imagine it with a very white, blond haired American or European looking person in some countries down there.

I see... I have not travelled or tried learning the language in another Asian country besides Thailand, I didn't know it would be like that. I look very white, blond haired American/European but never had that experience living and traveling in Latin America whatsoever. I find the people to be more receptive and broader minded than Thai people so I think it is a cultural difference. For some Thai people it just literally cannot get through the heads of Thai people: farang speak thai can. It's really a bizarre phenomenon.

I personally am quite glad not more foreigners can speak thai. It makes it easy for me to ignore the type of foreigners I don't want to talk to. I just pretend I don't speak english. Get's rid of the drunks, know it alls, weirdos and sexpat slimebags.

Some people just struggle with languages, my wife has never learned more than basic English, therefore we have always used Thai, for me it was necessary but now when we are away from English speaking areas I can do whatever I like without the need for my wife tagging along as translator. Very useful.

In defense of the Spanish speakers, once I got their attention, they were appreciative that I was trying to speak their language.

And I have seen the above phenomenon in other countries as well.

I get the idea that I could have substituted *any* language for "Spanish" and someone would have piped up with "I have been in almost every language-speaking country and it is only in Thailand that I see this.

• Like 1

Can't speak for everyone....but for me after living here for 10 years (vocabulary of mayber 500 words)....my Thai is very basic....

WHY?...First off I'm an old man and its hard enough for me to remember where I left the car keys! let alone learn a "tonal" language like Thai.

Next....don't really need much more than the basic's that I know to communicate with the Thai's.....isn't That what its all about ...communication!

So why the attitude .....congrats to you....but each to their own

If your definition of communicate extends to "have an in depth conversation about a detailed subject, then I agree it is all about communication.

If however, your concept of communication is about getting on a baht bus and getting off on and paying your fare ...... well then I guess 500 words would do it and let you do your shopping and negotiate the price of companionship.

As for literacy, you don't mention it. I catch the headlines in 3 Thai papers daily, and then read a couple of articles that the headlines suggest may be interesting. It helps in understanding the people who comprise 99.9% of the population around me.

I can never understand folks who live here a long time and don't even learn the basics. It makes life infinitely easier when you can give a taxi driver directions and when buying stuff etc. I hailed a tuk tuk outside panthip once and the driver tried the usual 200 baht patter. Noticing he was an isaan bloke i laughed and spoke to him with a bit of the dialect. He then grinned and dropped the price to the more usual 80 baht

I would have told him to get lost and get the next Tuk Tuk. I cannot except people of any race trying to do me.

You struggle with haggling I take it.

No, the Tuk Tuk driver as attempting to cheat, simple as that. Just like a taxi driver wanting to charge me 250 Baht from Chinatown to Holumpong railway station. it was 6am, and I did not know how to get there, or I would have walked.

65 million speak Thai, estimates from 480 million to a billion speak English.

Suggest Thai education includes English classes in future!

You are in effect making the argument for everyone learning Mandarin Chinese and adopting that as a world language ... kinda silly.

I agree...we all need to speak such a universal language.

I know if I learnt to read, write and speak fluently it would open doors around the globe for me.

What a hypocrite. You expect non-native English speakers to learn your language when living in your country (and don't deny it) yet if the same is expected of you, you brush it off with a silly comment.

No one said Thai was an international language. It only makes sense if you're going to live here, you're going to simulate in the culture.

Perhaps that's asking too much of you with your walled off home, 2 cars you don't need, 3 TV's and what ever other Western comforts that provides a false security of sanctimonious Superiority over the Thai people and their culture.

Way to go, Gaijin.

• Like 1

I am always appalled at the vast majority of foreigners living permanently or quasi-permanently in Thailand and yet being completely illiterate. I have met almost none who could read Thai, when it does not take that long to learn. Most of them can blabber a couple sentences in Thai in such a horrible accent that only bar girls can understand. Very few are able to speak basic conversational Thai. I am sure that a vast majority of them would cringe at foreigners coming to their countries and refusing to learn their language. So why can't foreigners in Thailand learn to read and speak?

wow you enrolled in a language school.. good on you

To each unto his own and to an extent i would concur with your sentiments that for those of us who live here some effort should be made in order to make our life in general easier,however, your post makes you look somewhat arrogant by nature of you being "appalled" by the falang illiteracy you encounter on a daily basis.. I can assure you that my spoken Thai is on a par with the current Prime Ministers English, however, I must admit that I read very little. There is far more illiteracy in this country than worrying about a few falangs whose tenure in this country is most fragile.

I would also suggest to you that our current Prime minister speaks English with a"bar girl accent" as accents are predominated by regional nuisances. You can truly be proud of your linguistic accomplishments and perhaps you could further you place in society with a course on humility and tolerance.

65 million speak Thai, estimates from 480 million to a billion speak English.

Suggest Thai education includes English classes in future!

You are in effect making the argument for everyone learning Mandarin Chinese and adopting that as a world language ... kinda silly.

Not at all. How many countries speak Mandarin? Umm, one? The largest in the world.

How many countries speak English or as a second language and most definitely the language of business?

More than one?

"I am always appalled at the vast majority of foreigners living permanently or quasi-permanently in Thailand and yet being completely illiterate. I have met almost none who could read Thai, when it does not take that long to learn. Most of them can blabber a couple sentences in Thai in such a horrible accent that only bar girls can understand. Very few are able to speak basic conversational Thai. I am sure that a vast majority of them would cringe at foreigners coming to their countries and refusing to learn their language. So why can't foreigners in Thailand learn to read and speak?"

I am appalled by your narcissistic attitude. What gives you the right to judge other people? Why should i learn Thai when i get around just fine using English? It's an option, not a necessity to learn Thai. Why should i spend the time learning the language of a country that will never accept me as anything more than a "farang"?

• Like 1

I personally am quite glad not more foreigners can speak thai. It makes it easy for me to ignore the type of foreigners I don't want to talk to. I just pretend I don't speak english. Get's rid of the drunks, know it alls, weirdos and sexpat slimebags.

I wish most Thai people thought like you! They do not in my experience.

I agree...we all need to speak such a universal language.

I know if I learnt to read, write and speak fluently it would open doors around the globe for me.

What a hypocrite. You expect non-native English speakers to learn your language when living in your country (and don't deny it) yet if the same is expected of you, you brush it off with a silly comment.

No one said Thai was an international language. It only makes sense if you're going to live here, you're going to simulate in the culture.

Perhaps that's asking too much of you with your walled off home, 2 cars you don't need, 3 TV's and what ever other Western comforts that provides a false security of sanctimonious Superiority over the Thai people and their culture.

Way to go, Gaijin.

Would you like some vinegar to go with that rather large chip?

Im an Aussie Ive lived in various countries such as france and italy and more and speak almost fluently. Moved to thailand 5 years ago and for some unknown reason the language just does not grab me. I communicate quite well so in my utterly lazy way I just cant be bothered learning the language which doesnt appeal to me.

• Like 1