Chiang Mai Immigration at it again - No residence cert on tourist visa for driving licence now.

Depending on the source, I have seen foreigners need to geta Thai licence after 2/3/6 months.

I got a cert on a triple entry tourist visa last year to register a motorcycle, but today I was told the 'boss' has changed the rules, only available on a 'non-imm' visa, so no driving licence.

Seems a TIT 'Catch 22' situation.

Unless the rules have changed you have always had to have a non immigrate visa to get a driving licence, so being on a tourist visa would be no good, technically as you would have to leave the country every 3 months (60 day tourist visa + 30 day extension) you would not really need to have a Thai licence. As has been said you can get a letter from your embassy but they do charge a fair bit for it and it would be of know use to you. This is one of the silly Things in Thailand you can register a Motor cycle/car on a Tourist visa but not get a Thai driving licence.

There is no requirement to have any visa type to get a drivers license.

ThaiVisa site disagree with you too wink.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/thai-driving-license.html :

"

The following are required to make the application :

1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don’t qualify)

"

There is no requirement to have any visa type to get a drivers license.

Requirements for obtaining a Thai Drivers Licence

The Thailand Department of Land Transport requires that foreign nationals obtain the following documents to support an application for a Thai drivers License. Please contact the Department directly for further information (02 272 3614 through to 3616)

1. Passport and Non-immigrant Visa

Present the original and photocopy of both the biodata information, and the non-immigrant Visa.

NZEmbassy Bangkok

The following are required to make the application :

1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don’t qualify) - Thaivisa.com

To apply for a Thai Driving Licence it is necessary to provide the following:-

a) Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. Please note it is not possible to obtain a Thai Driving Licence with a Tourist Visa

Royal Thai Consulate

That may out of date because a lot of people have gotten drivers licensees with a tourist visa and even visa exempt entries.

I know some people in similar situation with tourist visa,

and they have to renew for a new "temporary license" every year...

Edit:

And in the topic you give, in last but one post : "And off Corse a valid TR or non O visa." rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pattaya46

Thanks for the replies. They show there is in fact no consistancy.

The licence people were not interested in the type of visa, just the cert' of residenence, which my real point was that I easily got last year, so could have got a licence.

CM immigration have moved the goal posts, possibly for the same reason as their refusal to issue any at all earlier in the year.

Good point that the visa run will in effect reset my licence as well.

T.

The licence people were not interested in the type of visa, just the cert' of residenence, which my real point was that I easily got last year, so could have got a licence.

Yes which is why I always use the CM US Consulate

I know it is somewhat expensive at $50/1600 baht

But you make an online appointment go in swear you live where you say you do

no proof required & your out in 10 minutes tops.

Also if usage time of cert of res is an issue like when buying cars/motorcycles etc. it has a one year shelf life.

CM Imm is good for one month if you can get one.

I know the price is high but you do get one when you need one.

I have bought 3 in the last 2 years

Unless the rules have changed you have always had to have a non immigrate visa to get a driving licence, so being on a tourist visa would be no good, technically as you would have to leave the country every 3 months (60 day tourist visa + 30 day extension) you would not really need to have a Thai licence. As has been said you can get a letter from your embassy but they do charge a fair bit for it and it would be of know use to you. This is one of the silly Things in Thailand you can register a Motor cycle/car on a Tourist visa but not get a Thai driving licence.

Wrong. You can get a 1 year license on a tourist visa..

Wrong. You can get a 1 year license on a tourist visa..

Agreed done that! ---------A few years ago now but at the time no problem.